PDA

View Full Version : Mom's scalp issues???

lyria
February 15th, 2009, 05:13 PM
Hi LHCers!

I know I've been MIA for ages, please forgive me, law school will do that to you! I'm actually writing on behalf of my mother who is thinking both about growing her hair out (yay) :) and changing her hair care products.

She currently has hair that is about jaw bone length, with a uniform hemline.

She is thinking about growing it out longer but is frustrated by her shampoo. She has always used Head and Shoulders but they changed from their original formula to a whole new line (and "classic clean" is apparently not the same as their original formula :justy:).

Her scalp problems are that her hair feels too oily if she washes it less frequently than every other day, and while she doesn't get dandruff, she has what she decribes as "scabs" which don't hurt or really itch but feel dry.

She has tried various other dandruff specific shampoos and none seem to help. What she needs is some generic drugstore brand that might help. I don't know what to do!

Any suggestions? :pray: (sorry for the novel length post!)

Eryka
February 15th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Could be hard water build up. Try a clarifying shampoo.

Sunshine69
February 15th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Lyria, I have seborrheic dermatitis and I would describe it similar to the way your mother has described her problem. In addition to "scabs" I also get very itchy near my neck behind my ears. Washing every day was the only way to keep these irritating symptoms under control. I started using the "conditioner only" method of washing, and it's really been helping. I can now wash my hair every day and I know that it's not damaging my hair. My scalp even feels less greasy than it did when I was shampooing daily. There are a couple of threads on Conditioner Only Washing around here. Your mom might want to give it a try.

Best of luck to you and to your mom!

PS. Dandruff shampoos never did a thing for me. The only one that helped was Neutrogena T-Gel. The Conditioner Only is much better than smelling like tar!! :)

Nevermore
February 15th, 2009, 10:44 PM
I had this as a child and teen until I started COing. CO (conditioner only) fixed it entirely, I second Sunshine's advice-have your mother try it.

LawyerGirl
February 15th, 2009, 10:47 PM
My scalp is similar to your mom's... I wash every day but with a gentle/all-natural shampoo and conditioner.

SimplyLonghair
February 15th, 2009, 11:18 PM
I second the COing, but would also suggest ACV rinses. They worked very well for a friend that had a similar type of issues. The ACV rinse killed a mild fungus that caused her issues. It was a scaly scalp without itch. Apparently this fungus :shrug: is one that is everywhere and is controled by the Acid in the rinse.

nutsenmai
February 16th, 2009, 12:53 AM
I have super oily scalp as well and get terrible build-up if I do not wash at least every other day. Oddly enough my hair behaves better and is more moisturized when I wash it daily. So don't think that just because you want long hair it means you have to cut down on washings. Your mother's hair might do just fine without a change in routine. Try getting it longer first, then change routines to compensate if necessary.

Katze
February 16th, 2009, 05:38 AM
I've had similar issues for many years and found that washing LESS, but washing more "deeply" (i.e. with sulfates) helps. However, when I first came to LHC I was trying "all natural" and "no poo" which seemed to help "reset" my scalp. Rhassoul, honey, vinegar rinses, were all helpful in cleaning my scalp; dandruff shampoos never did a thing for it.

At the moment I alternate non-sulfate shampoos with sulfate shampoos, and wash about once a week. If my hair really needs it in between, I WO wash, something that seems to get my scalp "clean" but doesn't dry out my hair. However, just WO washing isn't enough and I do need occasional sulfate washes.

lyria
February 18th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Lyria, I have seborrheic dermatitis and I would describe it similar to the way your mother has described her problem. In addition to "scabs" I also get very itchy near my neck behind my ears. Washing every day was the only way to keep these irritating symptoms under control. I started using the "conditioner only" method of washing, and it's really been helping. I can now wash my hair every day and I know that it's not damaging my hair. My scalp even feels less greasy than it did when I was shampooing daily. There are a couple of threads on Conditioner Only Washing around here. Your mom might want to give it a try.

Best of luck to you and to your mom!

PS. Dandruff shampoos never did a thing for me. The only one that helped was Neutrogena T-Gel. The Conditioner Only is much better than smelling like tar!! :)

I second the COing, but would also suggest ACV rinses. They worked very well for a friend that had a similar type of issues. The ACV rinse killed a mild fungus that caused her issues. It was a scaly scalp without itch. Apparently this fungus :shrug: is one that is everywhere and is controled by the Acid in the rinse.

My scalp is similar to your mom's... I wash every day but with a gentle/all-natural shampoo and conditioner.

I've had similar issues for many years and found that washing LESS, but washing more "deeply" (i.e. with sulfates) helps. However, when I first came to LHC I was trying "all natural" and "no poo" which seemed to help "reset" my scalp. Rhassoul, honey, vinegar rinses, were all helpful in cleaning my scalp; dandruff shampoos never did a thing for it.

At the moment I alternate non-sulfate shampoos with sulfate shampoos, and wash about once a week. If my hair really needs it in between, I WO wash, something that seems to get my scalp "clean" but doesn't dry out my hair. However, just WO washing isn't enough and I do need occasional sulfate washes.

Thank you all so much for your responses! :)

We do have hard water so that might be contributing to the problem. I am trying to talk my mom into trying an ACV rinse and maybe even CO. She is not exactly the sybarite I am so her hair care routine tends to be kind of scary (it involves a blow-dryershudder:).

She seems kind of reluctant, but maybe if she tries it once or twice she'll get into more gentle and natural hair care!

jivete
February 19th, 2009, 07:40 AM
Shampoo and silicones make my head itch terribly. CO makes my scalp happy.

MadPirateBippy
February 22nd, 2009, 07:46 PM
Your mom may want to do an asprin mask treatment on her scalp- that could also help. Just take a dozen or so asprin, and crush them. A little hot water helps.

At that point you can mix it with something (I use aloe) and plop it on the scalp. Watch a movie, rub it occasionally.

If the stuff on her scalp is basically old, dried skin that was, for whatever reason, not letting go this is a fantastic way to exfoliate the scalp so it feels wonderful. If she's had little flakes (instead of classic dandruff flakes), this will help with that, too.

Kirin
February 22nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
It sounds strange, but what you are describing sounds like cradle cap. Though obviously no longer in a cradle, it is the same idea. Remedies for it should work for her.

I am 40 and get this same problem, and nothing cures it except daily washing and daily brushing to the scalp. It is dead skin cells of the scalp building up in a clump.

lyria
February 24th, 2009, 01:43 PM
It sounds strange, but what you are describing sounds like cradle cap. Though obviously no longer in a cradle, it is the same idea. Remedies for it should work for her.

I am 40 and get this same problem, and nothing cures it except daily washing and daily brushing to the scalp. It is dead skin cells of the scalp building up in a clump.

I did some reading on this and it does sound like what my mom described. I sent her a link to one of the sites. We will see what she says. Thanks!:)

earthdancer
February 24th, 2009, 02:26 PM
Your mom might also want to try a raw-honey mask on her scalp to sooth it; it must be untreated raw honey, since ordinary grocery-store honey has been treated (cooked, strained, etc.) and all the good enzymes and stuff are gone from it. You should be able to find it at an organic grocery store. Mix a couple of spoonfuls with a little water (very important, I don't know why) and massage it onto the scalp. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes and shampoo.

I use it on my wind-burned skin, and it works like magic! My sister clued me in, and I've been so grateful ever since. When I put it on a really irritated spot, it feels burn-y a little at first, but by the next day, it's all healed. It's good for many skin problems, and I don't think it could possibly hurt anything to try it.

lyria
February 24th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Your mom might also want to try a raw-honey mask on her scalp to sooth it; it must be untreated raw honey, since ordinary grocery-store honey has been treated (cooked, strained, etc.) and all the good enzymes and stuff are gone from it. You should be able to find it at an organic grocery store. Mix a couple of spoonfuls with a little water (very important, I don't know why) and massage it onto the scalp. Let it sit for about 15-20 minutes and shampoo.

I use it on my wind-burned skin, and it works like magic! My sister clued me in, and I've been so grateful ever since. When I put it on a really irritated spot, it feels burn-y a little at first, but by the next day, it's all healed. It's good for many skin problems, and I don't think it could possibly hurt anything to try it.

hmmm, that is intriguing. my mom also high lights her hair (something i probably should have mentioned earlier, she hasn't always done this though so it didn't cause the scalp condition). I know honey can be used as a natural lightening method, would the honey in this treatment throw off her high lights?

earthdancer
February 24th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I know honey can be used as a natural lightening method, would the honey in this treatment throw off her high lights?

The honey-lightening advice I've seen recommends allowing the honey and water mixture to sit for an hour to maximize the peroxide effect, and then leave it on the hair another hour; I shouldn't think it would affect her hair color if it was used immediately and left on for just a few minutes. She could do a strand test first to make sure. Most people seem to get a very subtle effect from honey lightening; could it even have an effect after 15 minutes? May be it depends on the hair type? Someone here should have experience at this.