PDA

View Full Version : Organic box dyes?

annuscka
February 15th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I'd love to get my medium brown/goldish (I have the hardest time defining my hair colour, but it looks like this. I think it's objectively a lovely colour, but *I* don't want it... Too warm; I have very dark eyebrows and they do not match. Haven't got a clue what nature was thinking, there!) - a few shades darker. And I'd prefer to not choke on ammoniac this time, like I usually have (Schwarzkopf got me the colour, but unfortunately the stench stayed in for almost as long as the dye...) Last time I dyed it that way was in June '08, by the way (in case it matters).

So I would prefer it organically, but I don't think I'm quite ready to slather on the indigo quite yet... I have been researching organic box dyes and so far only come up with Sante - does anyone have any experience with that? As far as I understand, their dyes work with your natural colour which, as much as I dislike said colour, would like, since most other box dyes have given me a very "flat" dark colour.

Any tips, comments, etc.? Anything would be much appreciated! :D

Treecrown
February 15th, 2009, 09:28 AM
if I remember correctly, Sante's product is actually henna and indigo...but I might not remember correctly! Check out the ingredients.

I notice you're in Finland--there's a product called Tints of Nature available in the natural products section of Stockmann's cosmetics department, which seems to be fairly "natural" (although it does have some icky chemicals, but not as many as most hair dyes). I haven't used it and don't know anything about it, though.

On another note, are you sure you want to color your hair? It's a huge pain to keep up, it's pretty much always bad for your hair unless you use henna, and in my opinon it never looks completely natural. I happen to believe that Mother Nature -can't- make a mistake when it comes to matching skin tone and hair color, and that dark eyebrows with lighter hair are stunning.

Just a thought...

LutraLutra
February 15th, 2009, 12:30 PM
I haven't tried Sante, but like you I have fairly light coloured hair but jet black eyebrows :eyebrows: I used to think this was weird and kept dying my hair darker, but I've got used to it now. It's fairly common, I think. :)

Roseate
February 15th, 2009, 05:06 PM
I haven't tried Sante, but like you I have fairly light coloured hair but jet black eyebrows :eyebrows: I used to think this was weird and kept dying my hair darker, but I've got used to it now. It's fairly common, I think. :)

Yes, I have the same thing! Dark blonde hair, very thick dark brown eyebrows. Doesn't bother me: I never spend a dime on eyebrow pencil, that's for sure!:p

And as to gentle dyes, I've been eyeing this (http://suryahenna.naturalproductsshopping.com/)product, just for a change. It's not permanent, though. It has "henna" in the name but not in the actual fomula, and reports are it washes out in 4-6 weeks. (Personally, I don't want permanent at all, so that's a plus for me. It might make a good trial if you want to test out a darker color before taking the plunge.)