PDA

View Full Version : The Necessities of Scalp Massage

RancheroTheBee
February 15th, 2009, 02:09 AM
A few days ago, I decided I would start giving myself regular scalp massages before I go to bed. It relieves stress, it distributes sebum. What more could you ask? Oh, right. The whole it-makes-your-hair-grow-faster thing.

Okay, I admit it. That was also a defining factor. But after going through a few pages on Google, I keep hearing that you won't get the full benefits unless you also apply a really confusing blend of essential oils. Is this true? Or can you still get some of the fast follicle fun of scalp massage without the oils?

Thanks. :)

frizzinator
February 15th, 2009, 02:44 AM
You do not need oil to do scalp massage.

logica_divina
February 15th, 2009, 04:04 AM
Just to repeat what frizzinator said. Using oils is totally optional. Sometimes your own sebum is all you need.

Denebi
February 15th, 2009, 04:16 AM
Just give it a try and see if it benefits you :)

Rhea
February 15th, 2009, 08:35 AM
Yes , just give it a try and looks what does happen ! Iīll find itīs great .

Speckla
February 15th, 2009, 10:01 AM
If a scalp massage was a package, it be labeled, "Oil included." :)
________
FORD FIESTA RS TURBO (http://www.ford-wiki.com/wiki/Ford_Fiesta_RS_Turbo)

Carolyn
February 15th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Try it both ways and see if you like one way better than the other. I like to use oils when I massage the night before I wash. I think you'll get benefits either way you do it.

RancheroTheBee
February 15th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Hmmm. It seems everybody is a little divided on the subject.

Okay. If you do massages, and use oils, what kind of oils do you use?

Carolyn
February 15th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I use any kind of oil I'd use on my hair. I've used jojoba, sweet almond, grapeseed, avocado, camellia, and monoi to mention some. My real love is Aveda's Beautifying Complex. It's rather pricey so I use it sparingly. It smells heavenly :)

RancheroTheBee
February 15th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Aw, really? That's great! I thought I could only use certain oils. I was all, "No coconut oil? What is this noise?"

What is the Aveda? Is that a hair oil?

Speedbump
February 15th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I rarely use oils when I massage and I have seen many benefits, including hair regrowth at the front of my scalp, less itching and shinier hair. :)

Carolyn
February 15th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Aw, really? That's great! I thought I could only use certain oils. I was all, "No coconut oil? What is this noise?"

What is the Aveda? Is that a hair oil?Aveda is a product line and also a chain of salons. I'm not sure if you have them in Canada or not. The Beautifying Complex is an oil they have. It's great for hair and also for the face and neck. I'm sure coconut oil would be fine. I just forgot it when I was making my list of oils I've used.

inspiral
February 15th, 2009, 04:22 PM
Scalp massage increases the circulation of blood in your scalp, as well as stimulating the hair follicle, using additional oils is not necessary to receive benefits from scalp massage. You can, however, use certain essential oils during your scalp massage for increased and added benefits. Essential oils are not really oils at all, they are distilled plant essences, and oftentimes they must be mixed with a base oil before you use them on your skin. Its important to use high quality, pharmaceutical grade essential oils to get the best results. Certain essential oils have been studied and found to increase hair growth, and when applied during a scalp massage, they are more readily absorbed into your blood stream because of the increased circulation from the massage. Here are some examples of essential oils that are used to increase hair growth and health: rosemary, lavender, cedarwood, thyme, clary sage, and also grapefruit, lemon, jojoba oil, chamomile, ylang ylang, and bay. Essential oils have many other amazing qualities and health benefits, I highly recommend using them to enhance your well being!!:heartbeat

aprilmay
February 15th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I find stress relief from scalp massage.

Payal80
February 16th, 2009, 06:15 AM
Try it both ways and see if you like one way better than the other. I like to use oils when I massage the night before I wash. I think you'll get benefits either way you do it.

Same here, I also use the keep oil overnight after scalp massage, but needs extra care to wash if off next day. I read it somewhere applying too much oil is also not beneficial to hair. :confused:

plainjanegirl
March 8th, 2009, 04:50 PM
I am not very good at doing massages to the scalp or any kind of massage. But I did read a good tip elsewhere and may try it on my bare area at the nape area. But it said if you cannot get the hang of it to use a battery operated tootbrush (but with a different head than what you brush your teeth with , of course :) ) . On a full head of hair that would probably not be a good idea, cause I would imagine it would cause tangles.

LHGypsyRose
March 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
I try to massage every night, but I only do it without oil or my scalp would be super oily by the time I wash my hair. Now I do use a bit of coconut oil the night before I wash my hair, and although I have many oils that I use on my hair..coconut is just my choice for scalp massage:)

RavennaNight
March 9th, 2009, 12:32 AM
I let my scalp's natural oils do their work when I scalp massage. No need to add extra.

Debra83
March 9th, 2009, 03:30 AM
sometimes I use camellia, or coconut, or a different one, and sometimes none. The trick is to do it! I have a little flat round rubber "brush" specifically made for head massage, and sometimes I'll use that by lifting it, setting it on scalp, moving it in a circular motion, lifting it setting it down a little over, and repeat so that I'm not brushing my hair with it, but eventually covering the whole scalp. And sometimes I use just my fingers. But the little brush thingy makes my head feel good for hours after, but sometimes I feel more effective with just my fingers. I think it's good to alternate.

Aditi
March 9th, 2009, 03:55 AM
I am doing scalp massage regularly and that too without using any sort of oils, it really seems to be working for me my hair fall has decreased a lot since i started to massage my scalp. I would say give it a try you don't have anything to lose.

pdy2kn6
March 9th, 2009, 06:38 AM
im giving myself one right now...my nightly massage. they feel so relaxing, perfect for before bed.

logica_divina
March 9th, 2009, 07:01 AM
I love doing scalp massages. But I never do it if my hair is freshly washed and/or I'm planning on wearing it down that day.

skay
March 9th, 2009, 10:00 PM
A few days ago, I decided I would start giving myself regular scalp massages before I go to bed. It relieves stress, it distributes sebum. What more could you ask? Oh, right. The whole it-makes-your-hair-grow-faster thing.

Okay, I admit it. That was also a defining factor. But after going through a few pages on Google, I keep hearing that you won't get the full benefits unless you also apply a really confusing blend of essential oils. Is this true? Or can you still get some of the fast follicle fun of scalp massage without the oils?

Thanks. :)

I believe I've seen better hair growth with scalp massage - with no oils. I think the circulation and/or distribution of sebum helps hair growth.

If you'd like the benefit of certain oils, then I'd think massaging them into the scalp would be something else you could expect other benefits from.

Naluin
March 10th, 2009, 07:37 AM
I've done them both with oils and without oils. If I'm doing with oils, I tend to use coconut oil or sesame oil. My scalp and hair seemed happier in general when I was doing scalp massages regularly.

Firefly
March 10th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Hmmm... so for how long do you do them for? Just a minute or two? I may have to add this to my nightly routine! :D

Firefly

Naluin
March 10th, 2009, 09:26 AM
During the day, a quick massage can take 1-2 minutes. If it's just before bed and I'm using an oil, I can take 3-5 minutes because it feels nice. :)

Forest
March 10th, 2009, 10:03 AM
Ok, this thread has inspired me. I will start this evening to do scalp massage before bed. :) With or without oil depending on when I am going to wash next time.

Someone mentioned less scalp irritation, has anyone else this experience? :confused:

Thank you all!