PDA

View Full Version : Amish Hair Pin Question

Tigerdawn
March 29th, 2008, 10:09 PM
I know I need some Amish hair pins and I know I want to get them from Plainly Dressed. But what length do I need? My hair is knee length and not particularly thick. TIA!

Liluri
March 29th, 2008, 10:27 PM
I'd recommend getting some medium and long ones, to see how they work for you, it's not like you won't be able to swap them if they're nor right for you :)

HairColoredHair
March 29th, 2008, 10:31 PM
Try doing up a bun the way you usually do (or however you plan to use them) and then measuring to see about how far it is across. Then maybe choose a size that's a little shorter.

I got the 3" ones, I think. They're too long, but they hold so well I really don't mind.

:)

Stagecoach
March 30th, 2008, 08:18 AM
For my 49" hair, I find the 2.5" too short... they worm their way out of my hair right away and they don't seem to hold it very well.

But, the 3" ones work like a charm!

Shell
March 30th, 2008, 04:24 PM
Three inchers work for me too. Do they come longer? If your hair's thin, 3" might be enough anyway.

squiggyflop
March 30th, 2008, 05:05 PM
will someone give me the link?? ive never been able to navigate their site peroperly...

AmandaPanda
March 30th, 2008, 06:11 PM
http://www.plainlydressed.bravepages.com/headcoveringfile.html

You will need to scroll down to the bottom of the page
BTW, when I googled "amish hair pins" this link to their page came right up

AmandaPanda
March 30th, 2008, 08:26 PM
Oh, I would recommend this place: http://cgi.ebay.com/AMISH-MENNONITE-HOMEMADE-HAIRPINS-STEEL-HAIR-PINS-LARGE_W0QQitemZ250225717222QQihZ015QQcategoryZ8259 1QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247 QQcmdZViewItem

I bought a 12 pack of 2.5" pins from her. Same pins, and you can save a few bucks (costs $6.24 with shipping, Plainly Dressed is $9 with shipping). The 2.5's aren't long enough for me, but I'm going to try the 3"

mrs carol
March 30th, 2008, 08:43 PM
Three inch long Amish hair pins work for me. The hold really well all day long and very seldom do any work their way out.

Tigerdawn
March 31st, 2008, 05:26 PM
Looks like I should get the 3" pins. Thanks everyone!

Xan
April 1st, 2008, 02:55 PM
hijack, Tigerdawn your hair is gorgeous in your sig pic hope I can make it to knee, keep up the good work.

heidi w.
April 1st, 2008, 03:50 PM
For your length, I would recommend something akin to the length of long bobbypins (which in the hair section are likely called hair roller pins), but most recognize them as 'long' bobbypins.

My hair is about your length, stick straight, and slippery.

heidi w.

Delilah
April 1st, 2008, 09:18 PM
Does anyone besides me find the concept of an Amish web site hillarious?
Think about it for a second.

WritingPrincess
April 1st, 2008, 11:18 PM
Yeah, that's what my mom's first reaction was when I told her about it. But, if you think about it, they're probably kids between 16 and 17 years old. That's the age when they try out new stuff, are basically let loose, and most of them turn out okay.

Tigerdawn
April 4th, 2008, 04:31 PM
You know, it's probably non-Amish people who have an agreement to sell the goods made by the Amish in their area. But yeah, I thought it was odd when I first encountered it too.

hazelfaern
April 28th, 2008, 11:41 PM
You know, it's probably non-Amish people who have an agreement to sell the goods made by the Amish in their area. But yeah, I thought it was odd when I first encountered it too.

Oh, but they're not Amish! Ok, you're right, I can't guarantee that, but I can say I think it's very unlikely that they are -- Amish spiritual authorities tend to frown on internet access for the same reason they frown on the automobile: it makes it too easy for the bonds of physical community to disappear and for other more ephemeral communities to take their place. Ahem.

But if you look closely, you'll see there are actually few places where the word Amish appears. In fact, the descriptives Mennonite, Shaker, Hutterite, and Brethren appear more commonly. I would make an educated stab in the dark and say that it's very likely that Plainly Dressed* is probably run by a group of Mennonites who are very similar to the Amish in a number of ways and tend to live near them and interact with them, but do, nevertheless, use regular old electricity and automobiles and a bit of internet, here and there, too.

Phew! :o Thanks for letting me blurt all that out! I don't know why I felt so pressed to explain all that, but I do feel better now! :D

*Plain is an important term among certain sects of Quakers, Hutterites, Brethren, etc -- it indicates a certain lack of worldliness as well as a cultivation of humility. Levels of plain-ness vary among these groups, so that aside from their caps and beards, Brethren look fairly modern but Amish folks eschew even buttons, preferring hidden lengths of hook and eye fasteners (which is one more reason I feel confident the site isn't Amish -- one of the dresses on the main page would be right out in an Orthodox Amish community, since the purely decorative row of buttons on it's front would be considered too "high" or vain -- and notice how all the ladies dresses are modeled by Mennonites? Ok, yes, I really am done now!)

eadwine
April 28th, 2008, 11:52 PM
Instead of assuming, why not contact the person who sells them and simply ask how things are? ;)

hazelfaern
April 29th, 2008, 01:04 AM
Instead of assuming, why not contact the person who sells them and simply ask how things are? ;)

Oh! Yes, that would be the easy method :)

TheBlondeApple
April 29th, 2008, 03:17 AM
Any updates, Tigerdawn? Did you try them?
Anja

eadwine
April 29th, 2008, 09:56 AM
I could ask. I am in touch with them in a back and forth as we speak on a Dutch group order, so I could easily sneak that question in and let you all know the reply? :)

I asked :) Will let you know what I get back :)