PDA

View Full Version : Feeling disappointed with length and puniness.

Heavenly Locks
February 14th, 2009, 08:32 PM
Seriously though...

I have a very puny ponytail and it's getting me down. It's about the diameter of my thumb? I really thought it was thicker than that? Maybe I am losing some hair/shedding more than I realize. It makes me not want to wear it in a ponytail or braid because it's so puny...

Also, it's at a length where it is a little too short to do some of the fun up-do's with it. Lower BSL (24inches) and I don't think I will ever have one of those drool inducing big fat braids or buns! I love looking at pictures here...some of the big ol' buns are just WOW!

*sigh*

Anyone else ever just feel like their hair is disappointing? Can I get a hug?

SpecialKitty
February 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM
:grouphug: You have beautiful hair. Comparisons with other people's hair will only frustrate you. Try doing something extra nice for yourself and your hair today - be your own hair's valentine! And 24" is nothing to sneeze at!

LadyEliza
February 14th, 2009, 08:45 PM
is that you in your photo? You have rather heavy bangs. That's half your hair right there! If you grow out your bangs your pony tail will be thicker.

Also, have you seen the Monistat thread? It's definately working for me, and a lot of other people as well. Check it out. :)

Heavenly Locks
February 14th, 2009, 08:49 PM
is that you in your photo? You have rather heavy bangs. That's half your hair right there! If you grow out your bangs your pony tail will be thicker.

Also, have you seen the Monistat thread? It's definately working for me, and a lot of other people as well. Check it out. :)

Omygosh! yes...the bangs. Now I feel daft. I bet that's where a lot of my ponytail went...except I didn't register that in my mind after I got them done in October.

Durr! *smacks forehead*

((HUG))

Thanks for that...sometimes we just need a reality check!

Demetrue
February 14th, 2009, 09:12 PM
yep - if you grew out your bangs, I bet your pony tail would be twice as thick, but then you wouldn't have bangs any more.

spidermom
February 14th, 2009, 09:16 PM
Oh, you could still have bangs if you want, but maybe have them more wispy. But I think LadyEliza was onto something there; your bangs are eating up part of your thickness.

I have lots of thickness, but sometimes I hate it because my hair looks bushy. I like smooth, shiny, sleek hair - like yours.

Jeni
February 14th, 2009, 09:51 PM
For what its worth I just measured my thumb and its 3" around (I do have rather large fingers though), my hair is between 2.5" and 2.75" and I don't have bangs to blame.. My buns aren't "eating the back of my head" but I don't think they are tiny either.

I use to feel depressed that my hair will never be thick, but I have come to terms with it. There is always someone with thicker/shinier/smoother/curlier/straighter/darker/lighter/BETTER hair then you. Its just not worth stressing over it. I can understand why you were feeling bad because you thought your hair was thicker, I was lucky (I guess) and realized I had thicker hair then I thought.

I do agree your bangs look thick and are probably taking up some of your thickness, they are lovely though.

tiny_teesha
February 14th, 2009, 10:43 PM
:grouphug:
I feel the same. Though seriously, my hair WAS thinner, so i'm grateful for what i got. Sure hair as thick as my wrist would be amazing. But i've seen people with thinner and thicker hair then me. As ii group, we are average, which isn't a bad thing :)

CrystalStar
February 14th, 2009, 11:38 PM
*hugs*

Don't let it get ya down :) You'll learn to love your own hair from being here I reckon! :D

Aaaagh, I hate to say it but I can't really emphasise cause I got a ponytail as thick as my forearm and I consider that hell lmao :p I get outta breath tryiing my hair up :rolleyes:

LittleOrca
February 14th, 2009, 11:47 PM
We all had short hair at one time or another. We weren't born with long hair! :D It will come in no worries! :grouphug:

(Yay! 100 posts!)

A'eorryn
February 14th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Your hair looks beautiful! And I agree about the bangs :) I won't say I can entirely sympathize because my hair is thick - but there's so much it refuses to do because of the bulk, and the weight makes my head hurt when it's up so, I can vouch that it isn't so much a blessing other than for cosmetic effect!! But I DO have to deal with my younger sister, who is convinced her hair is thicker than mine (and it very well may be, we've essentially switched places in our hairstyle preferences and have never been able to do a straight comparison) and goes so far as to try to throw it in my face like that means it's BETTER - 'my hair is bigger than yours', etc (even assuming that volume means thickness, which is doesn't) - and even though _I_ know it doesn't mean that it still makes me feel bad about my hair, which I am trying so hard to really take care of and nurture now that I have it! It feels so defeating. So I know what you mean about feeling it is inadequate - well it's not, not one single bit! :D :flowers:

Missie
February 14th, 2009, 11:52 PM
I know... hugs.. I'm in the same situation.. I've have just come out of a horrendous shed which lasted a year or more so my length is puny too.. but my newly growing hair is coming through thick and healthy.... but its only about six inches long. Sigh.

vampodrama
February 15th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I think everyone at least occasionally wishes their hair was different... curlies want straight hair sometimes, straighties wish for curls... people with thin hair want thick hair and vice versa. it's just human nature to want things you can't really have, at least sometimes.

I have straight, fine, thin hair too. my ponytail is about the size of my thumb too, and I have skinny fingers, and no bangs. and I keep looking at my colleague who has coarse thick curly hair and she *loathes* her own hair, saying there's too much of it, how heavy it is and how she'll never grow it longer than a short bob cos it's impossible to live with. I'd trade hair with her any day! :D

so, don't feel down about your hair. it's YOUR hair, and therefore unique, it's YOU.

Honey39
February 15th, 2009, 02:50 AM
You have very pretty hair, and to be honest, it's the hair I would prefer to have for myself!! I love sillky, fine hair, and I don't really like the frizzy hair that I have, although am learning to lvove it!

Try to see the gorgeousness potential of your own hair, it really is lovely!

Aditi
February 15th, 2009, 03:11 AM
I know how you feel. I am going through horrible shedding period and i have lost the volume of my hair. But still i am hoping that the new hair will again regain the volume.

Debra83
February 15th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Ha!!! lol I, too, just cut my bangs two days ago, and yesterday morning I was worried because it seemed so thin all of a sudden!!! (did I mention I'm not a morning person!?!!).

Silverlox
February 15th, 2009, 03:40 AM
You are beautiful and so is your hair! It's not the least bit puny! :)

As an experiment, I just measured my thumb and guess what? Yep, exactly the same size as my ponytail! And I don't have any bangs to detract from my thickness. :rolleyes:

However, being an ii, we are medium. Not thin and not thick. Right in the middle, which is perhaps the best place to be..? No matter how much I drool over the gorgeous heads of iii (and I certainly do!), I'm quite sure it would give me a terrible headache from the weight. Don't even get me started on the longing glances I give the people who are 1a-c and 3a-c. Merely because they have what I haven't. Funny thing is, sometimes I'll admire someone's hair, only to look at their stats and see that they're my hair twins.. :p

Basically, you have to work with what you've got! Although we probably all suffer from hair envy when we see all the lovely hair here, it's not very productive. We're still stuck with our own hairtype and thickness. Better then to love your hair and work with what you've got! :thumbsup:

Honey39
February 15th, 2009, 07:43 AM
You are beautiful and so is your hair! It's not the least bit puny! :)

As an experiment, I just measured my thumb and guess what? Yep, exactly the same size as my ponytail! And I don't have any bangs to detract from my thickness. :rolleyes:

However, being an ii, we are medium. Not thin and not thick. Right in the middle, which is perhaps the best place to be..? No matter how much I drool over the gorgeous heads of iii (and I certainly do!), I'm quite sure it would give me a terrible headache from the weight. Don't even get me started on the longing glances I give the people who are 1a-c and 3a-c. Merely because they have what I haven't. Funny thing is, sometimes I'll admire someone's hair, only to look at their stats and see that they're my hair twins.. :p

Basically, you have to work with what you've got! Although we probably all suffer from hair envy when we see all the lovely hair here, it's not very productive. We're still stuck with our own hairtype and thickness. Better then to love your hair and work with what you've got! :thumbsup:

Absolutely true - I'm 40, and for the first time in my life I am working with the hair that I've actually got, not the hair I wish I had. So no more straightening for me, I am embracing the curl, lol. And you know what? Now I've stopped fighting against it, my hair has never looked better. It's kind of relieved to be cherished for what it is, not for what it's not!

There is beauty in absolutely every hair type, I honestly believe that. I admire so many different hair types here, I don't think there is any that can't be thud-worthy gorgeous hair in its only unique way!!

Xandergrammy
February 15th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Oh sweetie, you can have lots of hugs. Your hair is lovely- so sleek and shiny. And you are quite a beautiful young lady. You look adorable with bangs. Enjoy them and just try and love your hair the way it is. I'm another thick frizzball who looks at your kind of hair and drools. :flowers:

going gray
February 15th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Your hair is lovely just the way it is & I'm sure growing out your bangs will make a difference in your ponytail thickness. We all want what we don't have, I'd love to have silky shiny hair like you, but I am grateful for what I do have.

rags
February 15th, 2009, 01:19 PM
Oh, I think your hair is beautiful! And you can have all the hugs you want! I can sympathize - my ponytail is about 1 3/4" around; smaller than my thumb for sure! I so want to look like I have hair when I put it up instead of a little bump on the back of my head. But on the other hand, we can wear ours down, and it's soft and sleek and shiny. Some of the iii's would love to have that!
:grouphug:

Coriander
February 15th, 2009, 02:18 PM
I didn't even think of your bangs being part of it either until I read that post :laugh:

I've always admired your hair - it's very sleek and beautiful. For what it's worth, I just measured my thumb too and my ponytail is about that size. I never would have guessed!

Here's lots of hugs for you :grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

:)

Autumnberry
February 15th, 2009, 02:22 PM
First, a big hug! Your hair as shown in the avatar photo looks shiny and beautiful, and I love your bangs. You should feel proud to have such nice hair. I have extra fine and thin hair, and my pony tail is no thicker. I prefer a messy bun to a pony tail for this reason. Or, you can take a 1.5 inch metal barrette and secure it like a ponytail closure, and the tail will be more spread out across the barrette (instead of rounded) and will look thicker. I wish I could give you some bunning ideas, but I'm clueless to bunning so far! Perhaps the bunning information posted in the articles section would be of some help...

Darkhorse1
February 15th, 2009, 04:32 PM
(((hugs)))

Don't despair. I remember when my hair was growing out, it felt so thin at times. Hair doesn't grow evenly, so remember that can make your hair feel less in volume.

I'm in some serious thickness envy here--I thought I had a lot of hair until I came here and was feeling a bit under weight in regards to my hair ;) Bottom line, try to feel happy with what you have. Gorgeous shine, lovely shape, color is gorgeous--so much to be happy with :)

Aicha
February 15th, 2009, 04:52 PM
I feel the same way about my hair! I guess that's what we fine-haired people have to deal with. But your hair is absolutely beautiful and I love your bangs. So cute and stylish!

Juneii
February 15th, 2009, 05:01 PM
ahaha yes, like what others were saying, you forgot about your bangs. once I grew out my bangs to where I can put it in my ponytail it got 50% thicker.
don't despair, everyone's hair is different but all are very beautiful in it's own way :]

Ponytale
February 15th, 2009, 05:29 PM
Been there--still there! Sometimes I lok at pictures from the side and see that skinny ponytail sticking out and think--Oh no! But when all the stars and moons align just right, not to mention the humidity, it can look nice in a pony or braid. Hang in there! Maybe just wear other styles that accentuate your bangs--I bet they look great with up-dos!

Goddessey
February 15th, 2009, 06:22 PM
I would like bangs myself but losing thickness it a major reason as to why I won't go through with it. I cut my bangs 2 years ago and am still growing them out.

Aisha25
February 15th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Boy do I know how you feel:rolleyes: My hairs is so thin and I always feel so sad and low when I see other indian women with hair 3 times thicker than mine. I think why I cant have thick hairs like this:cry: But then I realise well at least I have hair and I should appreciate it and not compare,but sometimes its so hard not too:o

Heavenly Locks
February 15th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Thank you SO much for the support and tips and hugs. I am so glad I decided to join LHC ... it's so much more than 'just hair people'.

http://southernnevada.com/y/smiley-hug.gif

EvaSimone
February 15th, 2009, 11:17 PM
If it makes you feel better at 24" my braids and buns were really puny. As my hair has grown longer everything seems to look nicer. I used to hate how my hair looked and thought it would always be really thin.

I have noticed a substantial difference in only one year with how much thicker my braids look. I have a comparison photo posted in my blog which is set to public.

Also like a thousand people before me have posted your bangs definitely are eating thickness.

Katze
February 16th, 2009, 04:52 AM
Just another post to say you are not alone. I can't even get the mini elastics to stay on my ends - see braid pics in album - because they are so thin! Buns look REALLY stoopid on me, because my crown hair is so much thicker than my length. I'm just at the low end of BSL (27"), my hair has never been this long before, but it is slow, slow going indeed, especially since I am trimming layers/damage/taper.

One thing that helps me to remember is that compared to the rest of the (non-LHC) world, our hair is already long, and thick, and healthy. Other people don't notice that your bun is smaller than a walnut, really, they don't, even if you do! :)

Charli800
February 16th, 2009, 05:36 AM
What they said! What I really wanted to suggest, though, is trying multistrand braids. I know my hair looks thicker in a four-strand plait (and shorter, but that's the price you've gotta pay!)

rosie91
February 16th, 2009, 05:57 AM
Other people don't notice that your bun is smaller than a walnut, really, they don't, even if you do! :)

i have a friend with really fine, thin hair. it is quite long and when she puts it in a bun there are fine tendrils (blonde) that come down at the front with a slight curl and i just think it looks the most beautiful thing ever :p

3azza
February 16th, 2009, 06:20 AM
I see you have bangs, it takes of your pony tail diameter you see.

brok3nwings
February 16th, 2009, 09:19 AM
i used to have a thick pony and now not so much. Why? Half of my hair is on my growing bangs and i also have small layers around my face. That is a lot of hair so please have that in consideration cause it really is a LOT of hair. But i do think that your bangs look great on you

Anje
February 16th, 2009, 10:18 AM
In addition to the bangs making a difference in your thickness, you might have what some of us lament -- compactable hair. Your hair looks thick down, but when ponytailed or twisted into any sort of updo, it doesn't puff up, but just makes a sleek thin twist. It means that you don't get a massive looking updo, but it doesn't mean you have tiny amounts of hair.

I have a friend with shorter hair than I have, about the same thickness, but curly. Her buns are HUGE compared to mine. It isn't more hair, or better hair (hers is quite fried), just poofiness.

heidihug
February 16th, 2009, 12:08 PM
I have bangs - but they are not thick or cut far back, by any means. If my ponytail at my nape was as big around as my thumb, I would be thrilled - my thumb's a little over 2.5" around at the knuckle, and my hair circumference is 2.25" on a fluffy day.

I have been chastised for saying that my hair is thin and fine because it doesn't appear so in pictures, and it's over 2" in circumference; but compared to a lot of others, I know it is definitely fine and thin. My braids are small, my cinnabuns are puny. When I wear my hair down, the comments I get from people I know are almost strictly in the "How the heck do you fit all that hair into such little buns!" :rolleyes:

But I have found ways to disguise the thinness by braiding loosely and not twisting very tight when doing updos, for example. Here is what I did with it today - a braided (loosely) Chinese bun:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=611&pictureid=31935

It appears pretty big - an illusion, all an illusion! :p

EvaSimone
February 18th, 2009, 12:45 AM
HeidiHug your bun looks ginormous. You have me fooled.

heidihug
February 18th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Thanks, EvaSimone! That look is from a year or so of practice (thanks, LHC members, for giving me some great ideas for updos). Plus, I think my buns appear bigger when I take pictures of them with my camera phone, as everything tends to "fish-eye" a bit. I admit braided buns are my favorite as they really can be artficially "embiggened"!

MadPirateBippy
February 18th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Hair anorexia happens. :) It's OK to feel like crap about your hair occasionally. Yours looks great, though.