PDA

View Full Version : I really can't do buns or updos :(

MimiKeki
February 14th, 2009, 12:58 PM
Hey everyone. I have to say, I'm forever amazed at some of the pics here. You guys seem to be so talented when it comes to updos..
I, however, am a newb. I can hardly do a cinnabun.

What do you think are the best websites out there to teach a newb like me how to do various buns/updos? Step-by-step ones with pictures would be perfect.
I really want to learn!!

Tornerose
February 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM
Youtube has alot of cool videos

LittleOrca
February 14th, 2009, 01:02 PM
There are some great tutorials in the LHC! Here is a link to some of them:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=category&categoryid=1

Aisha25
February 14th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Took me a long time too but I finally got a few down. Cinnamon bun is actually very easy they have alot of pictures in the article section and go to hair styles:)

Angellen
February 14th, 2009, 01:33 PM
At 26", I couldn't do updos either. My hair just wouldn't cooperate, no matter how hard I tried. I usually just twisted it up and used big jaw clips to secure it.

MimiKeki
February 14th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Yeah, that's totally what I'm doing at the moment, Angellen. To be honest, the fact that my hair is layered isn't helping. I can do a cinnabun, but I just really need more practise to make them neater. I can't wait to have longer hair so I can experiment more..

Jeni
February 14th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I'm at 26.5" and cant do alot of up dos, between my relatively short hair (on the thinner side of ii) and my lack up skill most things just don't work.

Cinnamon buns are what I usually wear, ethier using hair pins of a fork to keep it up. I will sometimes do an infinity bun but lately it hasn't works well for me. I can technically do the wrap bun but have trouble getting it to stay (can't get it tight enough I guess). I managed a Chinese bun finally after 5 or 6 tries and that seems to hold well.

I agree that youtube is a good place to look, you can find a lot of LHCers on there. Really I suggest just practicing a lot. Remember that the thicker your hair is(where in ii do you fall) the longer it seems to need to be before doing some dos.

Coriander
February 14th, 2009, 03:21 PM
LHC has a bunch of articles with great instructions and videos.

So does Youtube!

I had a really tough time with updos until I re-joined this forum. You'll learn, I promise. I'm still fighting with learning a french braid though! :laugh:

A really easy one is a sock bun. That's what I'm doing now and it's super comfy and super easy :)

Psalm186
February 14th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I love YouTube how-tos, too!

One of the most annoying things about hair tutorials is that they tend to demonstrate the technique on a model. You want to know how to do the style on your own head, not someone elses! The way you use your fingers is completely different when you're dealing with hair in front and below your line of vision, vs above and behind.

It took me a year to realize that what I thought was a French braid was actully Dutch, and another 2 years to figure out the technique for French (and I'm still working on it). Moral of the story -- look for solo demonstration videos with good descriptions of how to manipulate each strand of hair.

Samikha
February 16th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Take a look at my signature for a lot of good links :flower: Good luck with them! It just takes patience.

Katze
February 16th, 2009, 05:18 AM
Me neither. The only "real" updo that looks decent on me, and is easy enough for me to do, is a French twist. It also hides my thin ends, and if I brush and oil "dirty" hair enough I can get it to look relatively smooth.

if your hair is messy like mine (layers, frizz, new growth) you can work with this by twisting and clipping it up in various ways and making it look like the "mess" is on purpose.

Also try playing with doing the top differently (straight back on top vs parted) - this helps me get a variety of looks even though I can't do most LHC 'dos.

hth!