PDA

View Full Version : Help! Frizzy Hair.

spiritlocks
March 8th, 2008, 04:59 PM
First off i have never really had frizzy hair. but suddenly it does not matter what i do to it, it remains frizzy. And frizzy for me means loads of snarls, I don't know what to do!

oh and my hair, ever since i started school, has been braided and bunned. I wash my hair every other day and condition about every other week.

Please help me. any info will be greatly appreciated.
Spiritlocks

zift
March 8th, 2008, 05:44 PM
Hello spiritlocks,
Sounds like you didn't make a change in your routine and you haven't moved to another climate right? So could it be build up? You say you wash everyday,maybe the product build up than you might benefit from clarifying.
And maybe your conditioning isn't enough you should try conditioning more frequently. And may also benefit from a deep treatment like SMT.
Or maybe as you get older(or grow up you were young right? ) the character of your scalp changed and now it's dry. A dry scalp would lead into dry hair and frizz will occur. Frequant oil treatments might solve the problem.

girlcat36
March 8th, 2008, 05:50 PM
My hair is super frizzy. Seemed like nothing would tame it, until I discovered glycerin. You only need a drop, mixed with aloe gel and a drop of oil, put onto wet hair. Some people's hair hate glycerin, but it has worked a miracle for me.
Is your hair curly or straight?

spiritlocks
March 8th, 2008, 06:17 PM
Hello spiritlocks,
Sounds like you didn't make a change in your routine and you haven't moved to another climate right? So could it be build up? You say you wash everyday,maybe the product build up than you might benefit from clarifying.
And maybe your conditioning isn't enough you should try conditioning more frequently. And may also benefit from a deep treatment like SMT.
Or maybe as you get older(or grow up you were young right? ) the character of your scalp changed and now it's dry. A dry scalp would lead into dry hair and frizz will occur. Frequant oil treatments might solve the problem.

yes i'm pretty sure i might be growing still, and yes i will condition more frequently.... limited budget here so its hard to buy new things just to try.

My hair is super frizzy. Seemed like nothing would tame it, until I discovered glycerin. You only need a drop, mixed with aloe gel and a drop of oil, put onto wet hair. Some people's hair hate glycerin, but it has worked a miracle for me.
Is your hair curly or straight?

and my hair has just a slight wave to it.

Silver Strands
March 8th, 2008, 06:21 PM
Maybe your washing everyday is drying it out.

I used to wash daily also. I can only go every other day and
when summer comes i'll probably be right back to everyday.

But I have recently discovered C-COW-C and it may be just
what you need.
First you put conditioner on your hair from the ears down.
Then in a container put a small amount of shampoo and
anywhere from 2-3 times that amount of conditioner up to
a capful or 2 (whatever you find works for you) ( I also add 1 drop
of peppermint oil for scalp stimulation), fill with warm water & shake.

This is what you use to wash your scalp.
Massage well and rinse very well.
Then follow with conditioner.

This is a much gentler way to wash your hair.
It doesn't get as dry yet it gets cleaner than CO (condition only).

spiritlocks
March 8th, 2008, 06:40 PM
oops did i say every day? *sighs* i meant every OTHER day. i'll fix that...

Mahars
March 8th, 2008, 10:45 PM
I have the same problem too. My hair is not as frizzy but it's still dry ever since I cut out silicones and sulphates. If you're looking for something cheap to try, I've seen that a lot of people have good luck with VO5 conditioners. I think there are a lot of them that don't have cones. The kiwi lime seems to be a favorite for CO and the strawberry seems to be popular for moisturizing. I've tried the strawberry myself and I like it a lot. It smells yummy and it's super cheap. :)

Silver Strands
March 9th, 2008, 07:21 AM
If silicones work for you to cut down on snarls & frizziness I don't see why
you couldn't use them.

I alternate between cone & no cone depending on weather or events.

Kirin
March 9th, 2008, 07:29 AM
I have straight hair with a *faint* wave, but occassionally my ends "frizz out". I've recently found carrot oil (in the ethnic hair care section) and use that to tame them down. Other oils didnt work so well for me, but this one does.

spiritlocks
March 9th, 2008, 10:00 AM
i will have to go try the VO5 conditioner. i have heard a lot about it.

Blueneko
March 9th, 2008, 10:24 AM
These are guesses, but experimenting is fun!

Wash every 2-3 days. ACV rinse. Use aloe vera as a styling gel to hold your hair neatly in the braids and buns.

Good luck! The journey is half the fun!

ChloeDharma
March 9th, 2008, 10:37 AM
It sounds like you don't condition enough. Maybe try a yogurt based treatment, i find that helps frizz alot. Also have you tried regular damp bunning? I find that helps up my moisture levels alot with a light oiling.

ETA......Also i find aloe gel mixed with some oil, normally jojoba as a leave in fantastic for getting rid of frizz.

Anje
March 9th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I'm thinking more conditioning probably wouldn't hurt, but since it's suddenly frizzy, something must have changed, either in your routine or your environment. Are you spending a lot of time somewhere that you weren't before (indoors, outdoors, different building, etc), or has your house gotten more or less humid?

Blueneko
March 9th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Oh, I almost forgot! Stop using cones!!!

That ended my flyaway frizz.

spiritlocks
March 9th, 2008, 01:23 PM
well first... damp bunning = pain= very heavy hair, trust me i've tried it.
and it could be the environment, in our house we have a wood stove as our heat source and we have stopped using it as much as it is getting warmer so its been a good 60 degrees or colder in our house at all time...
and yes i'm going to try the conditioning more thing...

thank you all for your input, and we'll see what happens :P

spiritlocks
March 9th, 2008, 01:29 PM
oh and i forgot i have this classroom at school that is very hot and humid, i swear at least 80 degrees in there at all times, that could also be a contributing cause. and i've only been in this class for about 2 monthes, about that time i noticed my hair was really freaking out

zift
March 9th, 2008, 03:20 PM
oh and i forgot i have this classroom at school that is very hot and humid, i swear at least 80 degrees in there at all times, that could also be a contributing cause. and i've only been in this class for about 2 monthes, about that time i noticed my hair was really freaking out

Oh so the environment matters a lot,that must be one of the reasons it dries out.
In hot weather my hair gets frizzy as well so I have to condition more. I know your hair's so long and wet buns will be a pain in the ass, I myself cannot make those too but forexample Cinnamon Hair does damp buns and she has knee length hair so let's just accept our scalp is tender :lol:

spiritlocks
March 9th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I myself cannot make those too but forexample Cinnamon Hair does damp buns and she has knee length hair so let's just accept our scalp is tender :lol:
agreed

and I didn't even think about the classrooms temperature doing that to my hair but it seems obvious now... :rolleyes:

addikted
March 10th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Funny thing is, the only thing that can keep my frizzies at bay is Cones!

Katze
March 10th, 2008, 03:16 AM
'cones and hair gel keep my hair from getting too frizzy, though I still have to comb several times a day.

I envy those people whose hair looks so smooth all the time!

Anje
March 10th, 2008, 10:59 AM
I know your hair's so long and wet buns will be a pain in the ass, I myself cannot make those too but forexample Cinnamon Hair does damp buns and she has knee length hair so let's just accept our scalp is tender :lol:
I think Lady Grace advocates putting buns on top of your head so your head and not your scalp hold the weight. Not my favorite look in the world, but it's definitely a tender-scalp option.

lyonesse sióg
March 10th, 2008, 11:52 AM
I have curly-wavy hair, and I live in Florida. Trust me, I know frizz. What I've found to work is Biolage mousse. It's my savior. I wash my hair at night and then apply the mousse right away. I also don't brush my hair, so that might be a factor.

luckypenny
August 17th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I have curly hair and with that comes the frizz :( It has gotten a lot better since I stopped using a lot of shampoo and products with alcohol in them.
I've been using aloe vera gel instead of mousse because it is alcohol free. But I have to admit that I do use a cone based tamer (biosilk).

missfortune9335
August 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM
there's a recipe for home made frizz spray in the recipes section I'll post a link
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=277

I've never tried it so I don't know how it works but it's worth a try