PDA

View Full Version : I hate my hair!

rosie91
February 14th, 2009, 03:57 AM
I am having endless troubles with my hair. i wash it every 2 days but even after i wash it it feels greasy underneath and behind my ears feels especially bad...also because i part it on the side it feels greasy on the side where i have more hair...if that makes sense? please please help me as i am at my wits end and i want to cut it all off!!

A'eorryn
February 14th, 2009, 04:13 AM
I have also rather oily scalp and in my experience dealing with this has a lot more to do with WHAT you use to clean/condition as opposed to how OFTEN you wash - so tell us what products you're using and perhaps we can help :)

~A'eorryn

rosie91
February 14th, 2009, 04:23 AM
i'll post ingredients too as this might help.
first shampoo i used was original source mint and tea tree shampoo -
Aqua, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Coco-glucoside, Mentha Arvensis (Mint) Leaf Oil, Melaleuca Alternifolia (Tea Tree) Leaf Oil, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Menthol, Sodium Chloride, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Propylene Glycol, PEG-55 Propylene Glycol Oleate, Polyquaternium-39, Glycol Distearate, Lactic Acid, Glycerin, Limonene, Citric Acid, Panthenol, Linalool, Glyceryl Oleate, Glyceryl Stearate, Phenoxyethanol, Benzophenone-1, Disodium EDTA, Methyldibromo Glutaronitrile, Magnesium Nitrate, Benzoic Acid, Methylparaben, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Propylparaben, Magnesium Chloride, Methylisothiazolinone, CI 47005, CI 42090

and herbal essences volumising shampoo -
aqua, sodium laureth sulfate, sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium chloride, citric acid, PPG-2 Hydroxyethyl coco/isostearamide, sodium xylenesulfonate, parfum, sodium benzoate, tetrasodium EDTA, polyquaternium-10, hexyl cinnamal, butylphenyl methylpropional, linalool, sodium diethylenetriamine pentamethylene phosphonate, benzyl salicylate, etidronic acid, propylene glycol, geraniol, limonene, citronellol, alpha-isomethyl ionone, prunus persica nectarina fruit extract, russelia equisetiformis leaf/stem extract, CI 47005, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, CI 19140, potassium sorbate.

now i look at that i know it can't be good for my hair but i dont know what ingredients to look for or avoid. i want to try natural shampoos but i used Aveda shampure shampoo which had no sulphate in, and it did not get my hair clean at all and made it worse if anything. but it also had cones in...

DecafJane
February 14th, 2009, 05:02 AM
Have you tried using products that are specifically made for oily hair?

rosie91
February 14th, 2009, 05:06 AM
i haven't tried products for oily hair because i am worried they strip my hair too much. its not that it is oily as the top of my hair is fine and my roots don't really get oily. it's mostly just underneath my top layer of hair even though i make sure to wash under there and separate out layers of my hair when i rinse

korinstuff
February 14th, 2009, 05:08 AM
Maybe instead of washing it every 2 days with full-strength shampoo, you could wash it every day with diluted shampoo? Or on non-wash days, just massage a good lightweight conditioner into your scalp to loosen up the dirt/oil stuff.

A'eorryn
February 14th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Well, my answers are going to be horribly biased because I'm a natural-nut and I won't touch anything with, well, just about all the ingredients you list there. I have to be careful in my assertions because plenty of people have no problem with synthetic/petrochemical based cleansers and I don't want to irk anyone - but for the sake of expediency (otherwise you can start here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=37228)) I'll go ahead and say avoid ALL of that stuff! Admittedly there are a few ingredients in those lists that are 'natural' (and therefore in MY mind superior), but you could easily be sensitive to ANY of the ingredients, so probably the easiest thing you can do is an elimination-experiment because those products are so compound - start by getting a hold of the most BASIC shampoo bar you can find, made of only natural plant oils. Even products calling themselves natural can have a ton of nasties in them, so don't automatically trust the label. If you don't want to go with a bar, then at the least get a CERTIFIED organic (like Aubrey) shampoo with as few ingredients as possible and certainly NO petroleum derivatives. That in itself may fix your problem, but if not then you can start 'adding' ingredients - like a cleanser with more coconut oil will be more drying and help deal with scalp greasies. I leave you with that for now, but if you don't think I'm a total kook and want to know more just say the word :)

LutraLutra
February 14th, 2009, 06:46 AM
I'm siding with A'eorryn on this. I always thought I had greasy hair because I had to wash my hair every day - otherwise I looked like I'd dipped my hair in lard :( Then I tried using much more gentle plant based shampoos and conditioners, and made sure I didn't wash my hair in hot water and scrub at it, and my hair is so much less oily than it's every been. Products for greasy hair and skin can sometimes be too harsh and make your body pump out extra oil to compensate. Have a go with a more gentle range of products and see what happens. HTH :)

LaurelSpring
February 14th, 2009, 07:24 AM
I agree its the products. I had this problem initially when I first came here. I didnt think I would ever be able to go more than one day. I would say that cones were the culprit for my greasies. When I got rid of products with silicones the greasies went away. Also the SLSs in commercial shampoos that strip your oil will cause your scalp to overproduce. Once I went natural I havent had this problem so much. I do every other day now because I like to do castor oil soaks but otherwise I could go at least 3 now. I didnt do so well with shampoo bars but the dairy whip worked great for me.

rosie91
February 14th, 2009, 08:20 AM
Well, my answers are going to be horribly biased because I'm a natural-nut and I won't touch anything with, well, just about all the ingredients you list there. I have to be careful in my assertions because plenty of people have no problem with synthetic/petrochemical based cleansers and I don't want to irk anyone - but for the sake of expediency (otherwise you can start here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?b=37228)) I'll go ahead and say avoid ALL of that stuff! Admittedly there are a few ingredients in those lists that are 'natural' (and therefore in MY mind superior), but you could easily be sensitive to ANY of the ingredients, so probably the easiest thing you can do is an elimination-experiment because those products are so compound - start by getting a hold of the most BASIC shampoo bar you can find, made of only natural plant oils. Even products calling themselves natural can have a ton of nasties in them, so don't automatically trust the label. If you don't want to go with a bar, then at the least get a CERTIFIED organic (like Aubrey) shampoo with as few ingredients as possible and certainly NO petroleum derivatives. That in itself may fix your problem, but if not then you can start 'adding' ingredients - like a cleanser with more coconut oil will be more drying and help deal with scalp greasies. I leave you with that for now, but if you don't think I'm a total kook and want to know more just say the word :)

i would really really like to know more. i was thinking about doing something more natural but i just have no idea where to start or what will help!

Darkhorse1
February 14th, 2009, 08:59 AM
Hi rosie! I've had the EXACT same problem you have had, and with those exact shampoos.

For start, don't worry about using a shampoo for oily scalp. The key is to JUST wash your scalp, not all of your hair. What I use is either Pantene's Daily Clarifying shampoo or Herbal Essence Degunkify.

For oily hair, you want a clear shampoo. So, when looking, look at shampoos and make sure they are clear. If they are creamy, I guarentee that they will make your hair gooey and greasy.

Secondly, I found washing my hair seperate to showering made it much, much cleaner. I just tipped my head upside down and wash it and wow! Much nicer.

Lastly, hormones/age do have a lot to do with it, without getting TMI for the gents, I will find just before my period, my hair is ALWAYS greasy/won't wash well. I tend to play around with styles that will help me get through those times.

Cutting won't make a difference for you--it's your scalp that is oily, not the length ;)

Take care!!

Aditi
February 14th, 2009, 09:10 AM
Hi rosie! I've had the EXACT same problem you have had, and with those exact shampoos.

For start, don't worry about using a shampoo for oily scalp. The key is to JUST wash your scalp, not all of your hair. What I use is either Pantene's Daily Clarifying shampoo or Herbal Essence Degunkify.

For oily hair, you want a clear shampoo. So, when looking, look at shampoos and make sure they are clear. If they are creamy, I guarentee that they will make your hair gooey and greasy.

Secondly, I found washing my hair seperate to showering made it much, much cleaner. I just tipped my head upside down and wash it and wow! Much nicer.

Lastly, hormones/age do have a lot to do with it, without getting TMI for the gents, I will find just before my period, my hair is ALWAYS greasy/won't wash well. I tend to play around with styles that will help me get through those times.

Cutting won't make a difference for you--it's your scalp that is oily, not the length ;)

Take care!!

I totally agree with you. You should better give all the suggestions listed out here a try before cutting you hair and after that regretting over it :(

spidermom
February 14th, 2009, 09:51 AM
Use lukewarm water to wash your hair. If you haven't, try putting your shampoo into about half a cup of water and shaking, then squirting all over your scalp. I saved a small, empty shampoo bottle for this. I get much better spread and a cleaner scalp from this, even when the dilution is so weak that I get no suds.

A'eorryn
February 14th, 2009, 11:05 AM
i would really really like to know more. i was thinking about doing something more natural but i just have no idea where to start or what will help!

well then, I can definitely point you in the right direction(s) :)
the easiest and best truly natural 'commercial' product you can find will be Dr Bronner's Magic Liquid Castile Soap, if you have a local health food store they are practically sure to carry this. Get the unscented first and in a small bottle for testing - you can buy 4 oz. It might feel a little expensive and be very different in consistency to your shampoo, but it's pretty concentrated - I used this soap exclusively on my hair for a long time before I finally started making my own, and a 16 oz bottle lasted me about 6 months - so it goes a long way. It's a bit drying so will be good for oily scalp, then if you like it try some of their scents - I love the citrus! If you condition just make sure you're not getting it on your scalp - I can't in good conscience suggest any particlular store-bought cream conditioner (I make my own), though the 'natural' ones will be a small measure better than anything from Mal-Wart, and if you dilute them with (purified) water then you can stretch the amount to mitigate the extra cost. If you're not averse to using vinegar in your hair (yeah, that's what I said :p), then a 3:1, water:apple-cider vinegar rinse will give you lovely conditioning results - it smoothes the cuticle and balances the pH of your hair, and the vinegar smell goes right away (heck, I use a 50-50 mix myself and the smell is gone withn ten minutes of getting out of the shower). That's a basic and very easy get-go for you, but of course we can get more complicated from there if you want :)

~A'eorryn

Oh yeah, and come on over to the natural hair care threads for more general info:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19973
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10246

Starr
February 14th, 2009, 12:25 PM
My first inclination would be that the shampoo you're using is overstripping your hair causing the overproduction of oil. The herbal essences you use has two detergents in the first three ingredients. How many times are you shampooing? Are you shampooing your entire head, or just the scalp. Are using it full strength or diluted?

Trying eliminating one item at a time in order to isolate the problem (first no sulfates but with cones, then no cones but with sulfate, then no sulfates or cones, etc) and use each method for a least a week to be sure. You can try to go natural if you like, but remember, natural doesn't work for everyone. There are so many options out there and no specific method works for everyone and sometimes it takes a while to find what works for you.

invisiblebabe
February 14th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I have very oily skin as well as an oily scalp, and I have to wash my hair every day or it gets itchy. Maybe yours is the same?

wintersun99
February 14th, 2009, 01:27 PM
I have very oily skin as well as an oily scalp, and I have to wash my hair every day or it gets itchy. Maybe yours is the same?

Oh, I remember those days...:(

I solved this issue by tossing out all of my "commercial" shampoo (drugstore and salon versions) and replaced them with Aubrey Ogranics and Kiss My Face brands, both are paraben and sulphate free. Almost immediately, the dry, itchy, flaky scalp symptoms diminished. It took a couple weeks for the overly oiliness of the scalp and hair to stabilize. I've since changed to shampoo bars (I do have shorter hair now, so the bars are easy to use, however I did have difficulty with shampoo bars when my hair was at APL).

I've since become convinced that "sulphate" shampoo's are evil and I absolutely must stay away. As my hair gains length, I will likely alternate between shampoo bars and Kiss My Face brand shampoo.

The key is to not stick with one product and think YOU are the problem, but to ditch anything that is not working (I would think 3 weeks is enough time to know this) and move onto something else, until you find the product that your scalp and your hair like.

rosie91
February 14th, 2009, 01:34 PM
thanks everyone! i know nothing about even my own hair so you are all a huge help.
today i went to a homeopathic shop and i asked her about it, she suggested i take linseed oil and omega 3s as i am likely to be deficient in these because i am vegetarian. i also have pretty bad skin even though i cleanse it well etc etc. Anyway. she recommended this oil for me to take every day and i also bought Weleda lemon balm and orange blossom shampoo for oily hair...all natural ingredients and so no sulphates and bad stuff. i am going to try it tomorrow, my wash day, and also start taking my oils. hopefully i can then get on the right track! she was so kind and helpful and i hope it pays off. phew!

fleurdelis
February 14th, 2009, 01:57 PM
I try to take care of my hair pretty gently, but it still bugs me to not wash everyday...so I basicaly do, and it makes my hair feel pretty every day...Just a suggestion :)

wintersun99
February 14th, 2009, 02:00 PM
thanks everyone! i know nothing about even my own hair so you are all a huge help.
today i went to a homeopathic shop and i asked her about it, she suggested i take linseed oil and omega 3s as i am likely to be deficient in these because i am vegetarian. i also have pretty bad skin even though i cleanse it well etc etc. Anyway. she recommended this oil for me to take every day and i also bought Weleda lemon balm and orange blossom shampoo for oily hair...all natural ingredients and so no sulphates and bad stuff. i am going to try it tomorrow, my wash day, and also start taking my oils. hopefully i can then get on the right track! she was so kind and helpful and i hope it pays off. phew!

Oh good, that sounds like a great start! Might I suggest that you pack away or throw away, all of the product you've been using in the past and just start anew (remember to give a new routing at least 3 weeks before making a decision to change anything) and also maybe start a hair journal/blog just to document for yourself what you've been using that didin't work, what you're doing now and what you might like to add/change (remember, only 1 thing changes at a time) down the road... it really helps to see it all down in black/white...

Good luck

cocolover
February 14th, 2009, 03:16 PM
My dd has an oily scalp and the Chagrin Valley soap bars for oily hair, followed by an ACV rinse have cut her necessary washes down to twice a week. They are completely natural also.

spidermom
February 14th, 2009, 07:16 PM
Oh my; Dr. Bronner's liquid soap was about the worst thing I ever used on my hair so I'm amazed that somebody would recommend it. I might as well have rinsed my hair with diluted Elmer's glue, it was so stuck together and gummy. The advantage to shampoos is that they are pH balanced to your hair and scalp. Soap is much too alkaline. People counteract that with a vinegar rinse or something else acid, but I feel - why bother? Just don't use anything alkaline on your hair (such as soap or baking soda).

Demetrue
February 14th, 2009, 09:25 PM
I also had problems with the Dr. Bronner's castile soap - it may be that our water is too hard, but it left my hair all gummy. I would try the Weleda and Aubrey Organics stuff first.

rosie91
February 15th, 2009, 01:58 AM
i am trying my new weleda shampoo today! im kind of apprehensive but i hope it works. it smells really good :)
i did also have a bad experience with baking soda, my hair just went eeeeeeeehhhhwwww and glued itself all together. awful. so im sticking to shampoo now!

A'eorryn
February 15th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I should have mentioned that the Dr. Bronner's isn't so nice on hair in hard water - but it's the fault of the water not the soap. Detergents ('shampoo') will always work 'better' in hard water than soap of any sort, but for me the relative ease of use does not mitigate the health hazards of petrochemicals - I've got rock-hard water but I'd still rather make the extra effort :shrug:

rosie91
February 15th, 2009, 02:44 AM
ok so i washed my hair in my new shampoo. it took ages to lather and just kind of disappeared off my hands as soon as i touched it onto my hair. so i ended up shampooing my hair about 3 times to get it actually clean. now i just blowdried it (because im going out later and i dont want to air dry it to look like a greasy mess...) and its ok i suppose. my hair does feel less stripped but down the right side of my head at the back is a huge greasy oily sticky strip and it ends just at the back of my fringe. i am so annoyed it is really disgusting. the rest of my hair feels fine just a huge greasy patch on the right. why is this happening to me?????

Starr
February 15th, 2009, 02:53 AM
ok so i washed my hair in my new shampoo. it took ages to lather and just kind of disappeared off my hands as soon as i touched it onto my hair. so i ended up shampooing my hair about 3 times to get it actually clean. now i just blowdried it (because im going out later and i dont want to air dry it to look like a greasy mess...) and its ok i suppose. my hair does feel less stripped but down the right side of my head at the back is a huge greasy oily sticky strip and it ends just at the back of my fringe. i am so annoyed it is really disgusting. the rest of my hair feels fine just a huge greasy patch on the right. why is this happening to me?????

Did you clarify before switching shampoos? The only thing that can strip the hair of cone buildup is a full strength sulfate shampoo without silicones. Buildup can effect your results and the way your hair behaves.

rosie91
February 15th, 2009, 02:54 AM
oh dear. i do not know anything. i don't have a clarifying shampoo. what do you recommend? i live in the UK

rosie91
February 15th, 2009, 03:56 AM
aha. a search through my cupboard has resulted in a pantene clarifying shampoo. i have used it and i am now air drying.

cobblersmaid
February 15th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I know some people hate it, but if I need to clarify, I use baking soda mixed with shampoo. Just make sure to condition and use an ACV rinse afterward.

rosie91
February 15th, 2009, 01:18 PM
i used pantene clarifying shampoo and i washed my hair upside down, do i dont know which of these factors worked but my hair got really clean! i'm kind of scared about using the new shampoo now and whether it will make my hair greasy. will the clarifying make sure this doesnt happen?

cobblersmaid
February 15th, 2009, 01:20 PM
There is no way to promise you that, but I would say that it is much less likely to make your hair greasy now.

rosie91
February 15th, 2009, 02:32 PM
i sound like a bit of a freak but i have searched for this everywhere. i am having troubles washing my hair if there is no later. the shampoo doesnt seem to be really getting into the middle of my hair (i have a lot lot lot of fine hairs) so how can i do this without loads of SLS and detergents?

Melisande
February 15th, 2009, 03:12 PM
You may wish to try an applicator bottle like they use in salons for dye jobs. A little shampoo, warm water until the bottle is nearly full, and then squeeze it with pressure into your hair. The nozzzle helps distributing it also into the lower layers of hair.

I use a pitcher and dilute very much. But if you need the sudsy feeling, try an applicator bottle with a long nozzle.

Darkhorse1
February 15th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I think , given by what you'd written, you need a clarifying shampoo due to excess oil from your scalp. I also found washing my hair sepereate/upside down helped me rinse is thoroughly. I also do a cool (not ice cold!) water rinse, which seems to work well too.

Glad you are having some good experiences! Keep trying new products, but use them for a week each to see which works best for you.

cobblersmaid
February 15th, 2009, 04:30 PM
I wash right side up, then upside down, then I part it down the middle and wash the middle, then I do one more all over lather. HTH

rosie91
February 16th, 2009, 01:45 AM
You may wish to try an applicator bottle like they use in salons for dye jobs. A little shampoo, warm water until the bottle is nearly full, and then squeeze it with pressure into your hair. The nozzzle helps distributing it also into the lower layers of hair.

I use a pitcher and dilute very much. But if you need the sudsy feeling, try an applicator bottle with a long nozzle.

this sounds a good idea. any ideas where i can get one or will i have to wait until someone i know dyes their hair? :D

scrap that idea. i found one in a old box of hairdye i never used.

Nini
February 16th, 2009, 03:02 AM
And make sure you keep using your Weleda shampo!

After you've clarified your hair has a chance to start anew;)

As for lather, I've used applicator bottles in the past, but now I just add a little shampo to my hand, which I roughly divide in to four. A little bit at my front hairline, some at the neck and the rest just above my ears. If I feel like I haven't been able to work it into my scalp properly I just do a second application, with even less shampo, it'll still lather up!

Use your fingertips to work the shampo in. The flat of your hand will just rough up your hair!

Don't try more than one thing at the time, that way it's easier to figure out what works, and what doesn't;)

Nini