PDA

View Full Version : How do I know what size Ficcare to get?

HildeMV
February 13th, 2009, 05:04 PM
What are the differences between the different sizes. What hair suits what?

HairColoredHair
February 13th, 2009, 06:12 PM
It depends somewhat on what you'll use it for and how thick your hair is...

I have reasonably thick hair and a lot of it and I wanted to do log rolls, etc. I got a large maximas.

JessTheMess
February 13th, 2009, 07:00 PM
I remember seing a size chart a while back. I'll see if I can find it again...
(skips off to find chart fer HildeMV)

didnt take long lol

http://ficcare.com/CustomerService.aspx

Anje
February 13th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Sometime, we need to chart bun thickness and diameter, correllating to Ficcare size.

For example -- my cinnamon buns are about 4 inches across, and maybe an inch at the deepest point. A large Maximas just barely works for me, and is better with fatter, deeper buns rather than flat ones. My large Ficarrissimo works well and has for a long time. Neither is particularly good for less bulky styles like french twists or log rolls, though. I would need a smaller size, which I don't have.

ETA: Note that when the Ficcare site says "Diameter", they mean "circumference." I really wish they'd fix that.

eadwine
February 14th, 2009, 04:44 PM
When I was just at APL with 2 5/8" circumference I started needing a large instead of a medium.

So is your hair much longer or thicker, go for a large. :)

sapphire-o
February 14th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Ficcare's sizing guidlines are really confusing. What on earth is pony diameters? :D It sounds like they meant circumference, but then nobody has 0.75" ponytail, right? And they only go up to 3.5" for the large size?

My ponytail is 3.75" and a Large is perfect for twists and rolls. I don't think I'll ever out-grow the Large. I never use Ficcare for buns, though.

freznow
February 15th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Depends on use. I bought a medium and large when my hair was waist length (3" pony tail circumference). The medium too small, the large too big for a log roll, but I could manage both to work. Now, I can mostly only use the large, but have been known to manage a medium with effort and good technique.

Norai
June 12th, 2009, 12:52 PM
I'm trying to figure this out too - waffling between a medium and a large. And what do they mean by the hair lengths?? short to medium? medium to long? I think somehow the LHC definition of long might be different than theirs ;)

Longlocks3
June 12th, 2009, 02:18 PM
For one thing, you definitely will not need a small unless you use it for half ups. One option is to buy off the swap board. I checked it often until I found a large one for a reasonable price. This way if it didn't work I didn't buy it full price and I could always put it up on the swap board.

KarenLynn
June 12th, 2009, 02:46 PM
It depends on the type of Ficcare, the thickness of your hair, and what styles you're planning on using it for. If your thickness is at least 6,2 cm you could go with either a medium or large Ficcarissimo for a cinnamon bun (both work for me at that thickness), while the equivalent Maximas will hold more hair. It's big-ish for me, but I can use it. In short, a large Ficcarissimo is probably a pretty safe bet for you.

Delila
June 12th, 2009, 05:40 PM
For my fine, rather wimpy hair, a medium Maximas was plenty for a long time. Now that my hair's at tailbone, I find I need to be a bit more careful in how I make and shape my updos for a single medium Maximas to work. If I make an updo that's really fat and bulky, a medium is harder to place, and less likely to hold comfortably. If the updo is kinda flat, it's as easy and comfy as it ever was. A large is now as easy with either kind of updo as the medium used to be.

On the other hand, I find I like to wear two mediums, one on each side of the bun, just because I think it looks neat, and holds quite nicely, so I don't feel the need to expand my collection of large Maximas any time soon.

rags
June 12th, 2009, 08:07 PM
For one thing, you definitely will not need a small unless you use it for half ups.

Umm, this is not necessarily true. I am at APL and my small is still a bit too large for me. I know of at least two other people who use smalls - one's a curly at APL and the other one's hair is to her waist! So no, not true at all.

Stevy
June 13th, 2009, 04:56 AM
If you're an F, I'd definitely err on the size of smaller. I still only need a medium Ficcarissimo and I'm at hiplength. I have both medium and large Maxes and use both.

Calista
June 13th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I am a 2a-F/M-ii with a ponytail circumference of 3.5", and I have used a large maximas since I was at APL. Medium maximases became too small for me at about waist length.

LiraelQ
June 13th, 2009, 07:58 AM
If you're an F, I'd definitely err on the size of smaller. I still only need a medium Ficcarissimo and I'm at hiplength. I have both medium and large Maxes and use both.

Well...you have to consider thickness and density. I'm only APL and my hair is so F I can barely feel a hair between my fingers, but I'm happily working with larges. I've even used them for half-ups and they work great. I'm very glad I didn't go for a medium...I'm sure at this point I could use one, but I don't have to worry about outgrowing them now.