PDA

View Full Version : Woodsmoke and Hair - Need Help

SpecialKitty
February 13th, 2009, 08:03 AM
I stood around a wood fire outside last weekend after razor-clamming, to stay warm. On hindsight, I should have had my hair up, but I didn't. After washing, my hair still smells very strongly of woodsmoke. I don't necessarily mind the smell, but I'm wondering if there is something I should be doing to make my hair less porous or more impermeable? The only reason I can imagine that the smell is so tenacious is that my hair has trapped it somehow!:(

My hair isn't unusually damaged or anything - it is virgin hair, no heat or chemical damage. Could I have naturally porous hair? Does that make my hair more fragile somehow?

PseudoScot
February 13th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Why not try a SMT with a nicely fragrant conditioner? When I've been out in smoky areas it can take awhile for the smell to wash out/dissipate. I don't think it's anything to worry about, ie, your hair being overly porous or anything isn't a concern. It just got a lot of exposure to smoke and it takes awhile for the smell to go away.

I would try a SMT [Snowy's Moisture Treatment] and let it sit for awhile. Then when you rinse it out the smell should be less.

Also don't forget to change the pillow case.

Denebi
February 13th, 2009, 08:46 AM
Give your hair lots of fresh hair, that might help also. It's quite normal that the smells stays a bit. Especially when you are now wearing your hair up. Then it's a bit difficult to ventilate.

cindy58
February 13th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I agree trying a SMT -- when I do it (usually about an hour) -- it really intensifies the scent of the conditioner (choose one you really like!).

SpecialKitty
February 13th, 2009, 06:53 PM
Ah, thanks everyone! SMT it is then! :flowers:

suicides_eve
February 13th, 2009, 06:59 PM
what about something with baking soda?? it works good for removing odors.. don't know i gues like a light clarifying rinse?

SpecialKitty
February 13th, 2009, 07:06 PM
That sounds like a good idea, but I have such fine fragile hair, I worry about baking soda drying it out. I think I'll try the SMT first to minimize damage. Thanks!!

atlantaz3
February 13th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I don't think you are alone - my hair tends to pick up smells also, or maybe I just notice it more. Especially if I am around cigarettes. I end up washing my hair that night.
SMTs work for me.

Dorothy
February 13th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Me and my partner did a sweat last weekend, my first. It had odd effects, my hair and body smelled like lime, I think from the limestone rocks, and very smoky. There also seemed to be a lot of gritty stuff right next to my scalp. I think this was maybe salt that came out in the sweat? It felt very cleansing. A bath took away almost all the odor, though, and it's gone now.

Katze
February 20th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I love the smell of woodsmoke in hair! BF and I do Viking reenactment, with some gatherings in the winter outdoors, and both love to cuddle each other and smell the smoke in each others' hair...

Cigarettes are another matter. I find that only washing gets that kind of smoke out of my hair. Normal washing works just as well as SMTs, IMO...

good luck!

SpecialKitty
February 20th, 2009, 06:58 AM
I love the smell of woodsmoke in hair!

I do too! It is now mostly gone (after about three washes in two weeks). But I do like the smell. :inlove:

I was just concerned that my hair is very porous since the smell hung around so long. I think the only way to know this for sure is to look at my hair under a microscope!:p

Thanks Katze!