PDA

View Full Version : How to best secure braid ends?

LaurelSpring
February 13th, 2009, 07:45 AM
I know that there was a thread on this awhile back but Im not exactly sure how to search for it. I remember Spidermom had mentions using somem ribbon or material to put over the end and put the tie over it.

My problem right now is that my taper is so extreme that the little ouchless ties arent working anymore. This morning I tried to tie off some pigtails for a chinese bun and I had to tie the band so tight to even hold it that it got tangled in my hair and I dont think ribbon or material would hold. This just slipped off.

Does anyone have any ideas about this or anything else I could try?

Silver & Gold
February 13th, 2009, 07:49 AM
I think that if you took a small ribbon and actually braided it into the last few inches of your hair and then tied it off that this would hold quite well.

LaurelSpring
February 13th, 2009, 07:52 AM
I think that if you took a small ribbon and actually braided it into the last few inches of your hair and then tied it off that this would hold quite well.

Thanks Silver & Gold, I hadnt thought of that! :eek:

Denebi
February 13th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Maybe you can use a small leather ribbon. It's not that slippery and may hold a bit better.

Anje
February 13th, 2009, 09:39 AM
There are some really tiny claw clips out there. I tend to use these to secure my braid ends, since winding those little ouchless silicone ties around seems to damage my hair. You do have to find the right place on your braid to clip them, though -- too far down and they'll slip out.

HairColoredHair
February 13th, 2009, 09:48 AM
You could also use a crochet hook to pull the ends up into the rest of the braid and secure it higher with a band if you don't think it will stay.

darkwaves
February 14th, 2009, 09:58 AM
It depends what kind of braid it is...

For me, if it's a going-out, daytime braid, I'll often use an elastic -- this kind. (http://www.smoothiesbyintuition.com/blax-.html) In my experience, these (Blax) don't snag, and really do slide off my hair. (eta -- I mean, they slide off easily when I want to remove them! They stay on till then.)

If it's a sleep braid, though, I like to keep the tassel more protected, so I fold the end/tassel up and over and use a stretchy, more terry cloth type of ponytail fastener. (Because the braid end is folded, the hair is thicker, so these don't slide off.)

Rhea
February 14th, 2009, 10:27 AM
I use for my braiding ends such a elastic band (from horses pigtail)

Katze
February 16th, 2009, 07:23 AM
Because my ends taper so much, I either use tiny elastics or I tie my braids with a piece of darning wool. Anything else (leather, normal size elastics, mini claw clips) slips off.

ale
February 16th, 2009, 08:49 AM
That's what I use! A small red cotton ribbon braided along with the hair in the very last section and then secured. There should be a pic in my album, with two braids (Willie Nelson look, hehe)

Anje
February 16th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I find the folding the ends thing interesting, but it doesn't work for me. It gives me a nasty kink at the end, and it seems to cause wear at the point where the hair was folded, which in my mind is worse than wear on the ends themselves, because the damage is higher up.

LaurelSpring
February 16th, 2009, 09:36 AM
That's what I use! A small red cotton ribbon braided along with the hair in the very last section and then secured. There should be a pic in my album, with two braids (Willie Nelson look, hehe)

I really like the way the ribbon looks on the ends of the braid. I only have silk ribbon right now so I need to go find some that isnt as slippery. I did order some of the Blax to try. I hadnt thought of using a crocher hook either. There are lots of good ideas. Thank you!

LaurelSpring
February 17th, 2009, 08:36 AM
I scrounged around and found a piece of non silk ribbon with some grab to it and braided it into my pigtails last night. It actually worked great. Im going to get some more today. I want some that will blend in to my hair and some for contrast so I can use in updos. Awesome idea!