PDA

View Full Version : Mermaid braids versus Heidi style braids

Patty lou
February 13th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I always thought that when you make 2 braids and pin them up across the top of your head it was called Heidi braids but I see the same style also called Milkmaid braids, I am confused ??????????????

Patty lou

viking_quest
February 13th, 2009, 08:10 AM
I've never heard of Mermaid braids. Are you thinking about milkmaid braids, because I've seen them called that before as well.

And searching for Mermaid braids, all I find are bracelets that look like herringbone braids.

Heidi_234
February 13th, 2009, 08:15 AM
No, I don't wear my braids this way.
lol just kidding.
When I come across terms and names of things that can't be found in the dictionary, what helps me is search it in google images, then I can what people actually talk about.
When googling "heidi braids" I came up with the hairstyle you described (http://www.google.com/images?q=heidi+braids&sourceid=navclient-ff&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1B3GGGL_enIL305IL305), while "mermaid braids" came up with nothing much (http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=1B3GGGL_enIL305IL305&ei=kI2VSbSLB9Sr-gbzlJCDCQ&sa=X&oi=spell&resnum=0&ct=result&cd=1&q=mermaid+braids&spell=1).

Phalaenopsis
February 13th, 2009, 08:19 AM
As far as I know, two braids over the top over your head are milkmaid braids. But sometimes the same thing gets several names, just like the herringbone braid (fishbone, fishtail...)

LovingLife
February 13th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I believe that milkmaid braids are one braid wrapped around the braid like this.
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/usr/0/3362/Picture 2_0_39.png

Wheras Heidi braids are two braids pinned like this, I perfer fairytails myself haha
http://images.teamsugar.com/files/upl1/2/20652/24_2008/BraidsBub.jpg

Lady Love of the twisted tresses of the ravishing raven hairs in the order of the long haired knights.

freznow
February 13th, 2009, 01:02 PM
I've seen the same style (two braids across top of head) referred to as both Heidi braids and Milkmaid braids, but more often Heidi braids. I've also heard Heidi braids in reference to any sort of updo or non-updo involving two braids.

Jeni
February 13th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Never heard of milkman braids but 2 braids going from one side over the head to the other side are Heidi braids to everyone I know.

Dorothy
February 13th, 2009, 10:22 PM
I'd like to know how to do Frieda Kahlo's hair. There are 2 braids, and they seem very high. They start high, they stay up there. Anybody have a link to how to do that? I've tried with two high braids coiled around each other's bases, but I don't think I've hit the right spot with it.

LittleOrca
February 14th, 2009, 01:09 AM
I'd like to know how to do Frieda Kahlo's hair. There are 2 braids, and they seem very high. They start high, they stay up there. Anybody have a link to how to do that? I've tried with two high braids coiled around each other's bases, but I don't think I've hit the right spot with it.

There is a book called Braid Crazy by Carla Sinclair. It is aimed at children for the most part, but there are some cute things in it. [I found it at the library]. There is a style in here called the "Frida Kahlo" and it may be what you are looking for. While its easier to see with the pictures, and I didn't make this up so I can't really answer too many questions on it,here is a step-by-step instruction of how it goes:

Accessories Needed: 2 eslastics, 6 strands of thin ribbon (twice the length of your hair), 2 strands of wide ribbon (twice the length of your hair), bobby pins, faux flowers.

1) Make a center part from forehead to nape.

2) Make two ponytails, one on either side of the head at an even level and secure with the elastics.

3) Slip three strands of the thin ribbon underneath each elastic. The ribbons should hang 8 inches longer than the hair.

4) Take one strand of wide ribbon and tie its end around the elastic on one side of the head. The rest of the ribbon should hang 8 inches longer than the hair. With the other strand of wide ribbon, do the same on the other side.

5) Braid each ponytail by dividing the hair into two sections and using the wide ribbon as the third section. Lay all three strands of thin ribbon neatly over one section of hair, leaving the second section of hair unadorned. Secure the end of each braid--which should have four long strands of ribbon sticking out-- with a small rubber band.

6) Lift both braids up toward the front, top center of the head and wrap the braids around each other once to create a small "knob" on top of the head.

7) While holding the knob to keep the braids in place, bring the end of each braid back down to its origional side, wrapping it around the root of the braid a few times. Secure each braid to the head with bobby pins. Arrange ribbons so that they frame the face. Finish by slipping faux flowers into the braids and securing with bobby pins.

This is the photo that accompanied these instructions and what it should look like at the end.

http://boingboing.net/braidcrazy/Frida.jpg
Isn't she just a doll? :)

Hairbear
February 14th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Wheras Heidi braids are two braids pinned like this, I perfer fairytails myself haha

I love that braid/bun arrangement.

Is it easy to do?

LovingLife
February 14th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I'm not very good at it! But I think it looks like a simple two braids secured by a pony tail and messy bunned! Thanks for asking.

Lady Love of the twisted tresses in the ravishing raven hairs in the order of the long haired knights :D

Psalm186
February 15th, 2009, 03:51 PM
Thanks for the inspiration!

I tried Heidi/Milkmaid/Gretchen braids last night, and they looked cute, romantic and hobo chic all at the same time. My hair was completely dry before I started the braids, so they were loose and a bit frizzy (halo-ish). I was able to pull out a few short tendrils (which weren't staying in anyway) and curl them with my fingers for that sexy not-quite-perfect look.

All the tutorials I found said to take each braid up and over the head, but I thought going down and around produced a less awkward starting angle for the braid (unless, maybe you started it upside-down?). You need at least waist length hair for that to work, though, otherwise you won't reach the top of your head. Visually, you get a thicker, more noticeable braid on top if you go up first, so I guess it depends on what you're going for.

Oh, and don't cross the braids over each other -- put one in front of the other -- so they lay more neatly. This also lets you tuck the tails under each braid.

Have fun!

Darkhorse1
February 15th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Funny thing is, this is a very, very old style from the 40s. (two braids tied up). I'm blanking on what they used to call it though.

Roseate
February 15th, 2009, 04:17 PM
[QUOTE=LovingLife;462241]

Wait... is that who I think it is? Curses! Unless I'm wrong, I think Nicole Richie's hair looks really cute! And that's something I never expected to say.:p

Dorothy
February 15th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Thanks for those instructions and the cute pic. I'll try that.

Katze
February 16th, 2009, 06:24 AM
when I was a kid we always called two braids pinned up "a coronet." My mom liked playing with hair, but wasn't at LHC level, and she'd do my sister and my hair this way for special events.

I've heard two side braids here called "Heidi braids" and the above pics called "fake crown braids" as well as "Heidi braids." Then there's the "Timoshenko" variety named after the Ukranian politician with her hair(piece) pinned up along the back of her head.

It's confusing, but it is a nice look, one which I do often, in different varieties, as it suits me. :)

Jeni
February 16th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I use to wear my hair in 2 braids pinned up and over my head and people here would think I looked German when i did that. It was odd. I'm not sure how a hair style can make me look more German I mean I am part German but I don't think braids pinned to my head makes me look like I should be rocking a dirndl.

Katze
February 17th, 2009, 02:42 AM
I use to wear my hair in 2 braids pinned up and over my head and people here would think I looked German when i did that. It was odd. I'm not sure how a hair style can make me look more German I mean I am part German but I don't think braids pinned to my head makes me look like I should be rocking a dirndl.

I think it is a reference to older styles when German meant closer to the nazi ideal of 'peasant' looks. :( Here in Germany many people are afraid to wear such a hairdo - yes, I have had people tell me this - but I like it, and can 'get away' with it because I am a foreigner. The same goes for many other things like runes, for example. Sad but true - those morons ruined a lot.

Also, when Americans occuped Germany after the war, they mostly were stationed in the South and West, so the typical American idea of Germany is Bavarian kitsch. Here where I live, no one wears lederhosen (except some kids as rugged play clothes) or dirndls or 'Heidi' hairdos - those are part of a re-imagined romanticized 'peasant' past thought up in the 1870s or thereabouts.

Because of my ethnic background and face and body shape, I look like a peasant anyway no matter what I do, so I like enhancing this in a good way (making it look like it's on purpose) and wearing my hair in braids pinned up.

Jeni
February 17th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I think it is a reference to older styles when German meant closer to the nazi ideal of 'peasant' looks. :( Here in Germany many people are afraid to wear such a hairdo - yes, I have had people tell me this - but I like it, and can 'get away' with it because I am a foreigner. The same goes for many other things like runes, for example. Sad but true - those morons ruined a lot.

Also, when Americans occuped Germany after the war, they mostly were stationed in the South and West, so the typical American idea of Germany is Bavarian kitsch. Here where I live, no one wears lederhosen (except some kids as rugged play clothes) or dirndls or 'Heidi' hairdos - those are part of a re-imagined romanticized 'peasant' past thought up in the 1870s or thereabouts.

Because of my ethnic background and face and body shape, I look like a peasant anyway no matter what I do, so I like enhancing this in a good way (making it look like it's on purpose) and wearing my hair in braids pinned up.

I think your right. In HS when we were learning about the Nazi's screwed up idea of the "perfect person" I was one who was usually pointed out as an example (tall, blond, pale and light eyes). I do sort of look like a German peasant, I'm totally alright with it too.

Whats weird is that when I was younger in CO a German couple came up and started talking to me in German, apparently they thought I was German. In the US I look German in Germany I apparently scream American. :confused:

LadyEliza
February 17th, 2009, 06:38 PM

You can't do Frieda Kahlo's hair - she is dead!!!

:eek:

intothemist1999
February 17th, 2009, 09:28 PM
I think "milkmaid" braid is more likely the "proper" utilitarian name for it - the hair is up and out of your way, secure for when you deal with the cow :) Then, the story "Heidi" came along (she wore such braids) and with her vast popularity the character's name became attached to the style.