PDA

View Full Version : "Hair should frame your face, not your body."

Tangles
February 12th, 2009, 08:17 PM
What do you think of this comment? A friend said it to me casually a few years ago (she wasn't really talking about my hair, though it WAS long at the time; I think she was just saying why she preferred hair that wasn't longer than BSL).

I think hair that frames the body is part of the allure of long hair (maybe that's why it's also seen as somewhat unprofessional?) I also think it should not fall into the face too much. Actually when I see pictures of people with hip length or longer their hair never seems to be in their face due to its weight. I also think face framing layers or bangs take care of this to some extent.

Still, the comment makes me think... a polished chin- or shoulder- length style DOES draw attention to the face in a very different way from an updo or long hair worn down the back.

Thoughts?

lynnala
February 12th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I can only speak from my personal tastes. I like my hair long AND framing my face. So I have fringe and I also cut my 'sideburns' shorter than the length, so that I have hair framing my face. I personally don't like the way I look when my hair hangs down straight around my face, but many people look stunning that way.

Tangles
February 12th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I can only speak from my personal tastes. I like my hair long AND framing my face. So I have fringe and I also cut my 'sideburns' shorter than the length, so that I have hair framing my face. I personally don't like the way I look when my hair hangs down straight around my face, but many people look stunning that way.

I'm the same way. I only look good like that when I'm ten pounds heavier than I am now. I'm also prone to flathead, and fringe ameliorates this and can be washed/straightened.

Sunshine69
February 12th, 2009, 08:39 PM
who is anyone to tell anyone else how they should wear their hair? Maybe that's her aesthetic preference, but she should qualify that as an opinion and not state it as if it's some sort of cold hard fact.

Arcana
February 12th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I don't find I look great with my hair straight down on either side of my face either (ok, it's rarely straight, but you know what I mean). I always have some sort of fringe cut in, though usually it's just cheekbone to chin length layers right in the front. Mind you my hair is only just past BSL at this point, so maybe that will change when it's longer.

RavennaNight
February 12th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I think it depends on the face, wether the hair needs to frame it to be aesthetically pleasing or not. Its also personal preferance. I don't personally like face framing layers, but that is because hairs that short will almost definitely need styling products and possibly heat styling to get them to lay in any semblence of order. I really don't want to go back there again, and I was never adept at using styling products. Too much, wrong ones, or not enough. Each to their own...

arabidbutterfly
February 12th, 2009, 08:57 PM
I have always found that my face looks better with my hair out of it, besides the fact that the various oils and whatnot some times cause me to break out.

Darian Moone
February 12th, 2009, 09:00 PM
But if you like your body, why not frame it? ;) It can always be put up if you want to look professional.

spidermom
February 12th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Oh poppycock!

Goddessey
February 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
As my hair gets longer, I've been thinking of this myself. My hair is now behind my shoulders and off my face. Personally, I think it cam look a little boring, but I don't want to cut my bangs again. I only just did that 2 years ago and hated it. Perhaps one day I may get a few (very few) layers cut around my face.

I think that beautiful hair is the perfect backdrop for accuentuating both face and body.

Carolyn
February 12th, 2009, 09:11 PM
Oh poppycock!:D Well said. Your face is your face and your hair is your hair :shrug: I wish people would just wear their hair however they like it and stop thinking about what the so called "experts" say. If you like your hair and think it looks good, you will look good.

~GypsyCurls~
February 12th, 2009, 09:37 PM
Meh. What she said is a matter of her personal taste, not facts. Everyone has their own idea of what hair "should" and "shouldn't" be!

intothemist1999
February 12th, 2009, 09:50 PM
My favourite comeback to silly judgemental comments like that is "why?" "why?" "but why?" until they run out of answers which they invariably do :D

Dianyla
February 12th, 2009, 10:02 PM
But if you like your body, why not frame it? ;) It can always be put up if you want to look professional.
I couldn't agree more! :agree:

But somehow I think that the sort of person that dispenses this kind of "advice" is also the kind of person who thinks we should all hate our bodies. :rolleyes:

LittleOrca
February 12th, 2009, 10:03 PM
It sounds to me like someone trying to set you up to get layers.

Melisande
February 12th, 2009, 10:05 PM
Children should be seen not heard. One should never... one should always...

How I love those SHOULD-sentences.

It's just an opinion. It works also the other way around.

"Hair should frame the body, not the face". Makes sense as well. It just depends on your taste.

One should never listen to sentences with "should" :D

Calanthe
February 12th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Do it as you like it.

I prefer some hair around my face because I look like a dead rabbit if I put up all my hair. But that's just my face...and my taste. It's not a law for everybody else, it's not even a guideline :D.

ChloeDharma
February 12th, 2009, 10:30 PM
My favourite comeback to silly judgemental comments like that is "why?" "why?" "but why?" until they run out of answers which they invariably do :D

Lol that seems to work for so many things, and it's so much fun watching them squirm! ;)

I think a better "hair should..." comment would be "hair should make the wearer feel happy about how it looks" whether thats face framing, body framing, shaved off, dreaded....whatever.

vindo
February 12th, 2009, 10:55 PM
That was written in Glamour in late 2004, the exact same words. Back then I thought about wheather it was true..

But now I know all my hair needs to be "framed" is bangs and a few face framing layers. So I can have both..the body and face frame :p...

But even with my hair out of my face I do not find myself horrible...I just like the variety bangs offer.

RancheroTheBee
February 13th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Word up on the poppycock comment. If I listened to every piece of beauty advice I'd ever gotten, I'd have fake teeth, breast implants and no food in my fridge.

LittleOrca
February 13th, 2009, 12:27 AM
Word up on the poppycock comment. If I listened to every piece of beauty advice I'd ever gotten, I'd have fake teeth, breast implants and no food in my fridge.

Here here! :cheese:

Aditi
February 13th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Well i like my hair to frame my face and my body. In this Layers do the perfect job for me.

mily
February 13th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I think that rather depends on the taste ... I personally like the hair to the waist, moving to the sides, some hair on his face ... He looks more and more natural movement and less boring (forgive my English but it was from translator)

Elbereth
February 13th, 2009, 01:17 AM
I am a person, not a painting. My long hair doesn't need to frame anything, it's there simply because I like that it exists.:p

Toadstool
February 13th, 2009, 03:00 AM
"Should" statements "should" be banned:)

Beloved
February 13th, 2009, 03:05 AM
Tangles, you put it into words perfectly - long hair frames the body. To me it accentuates curves and forms beautifully.

going gray
February 13th, 2009, 05:20 AM
I agree with Spidermom, the whole subject is nonsense

MsBubbles
February 13th, 2009, 05:47 AM
Ooh! What a cool thought! :cool: My long hair framing my body!! That's a beautiful way of putting it and makes me realize part of the allure for me for long hair. :cloud9:

We can just scrap that other bit about the purpose of hair supposedly only framing your face.

Stevy
February 13th, 2009, 05:55 AM
"Should" statements "should" be banned:)

Brilliant!

I used to have a friend who was forever coming out with these pat little annoying statements. I always meant to ask her whether there was an email newsletter spreading them or something.

Anje
February 13th, 2009, 07:09 AM
My face doesn't look good framed. It makes it look fat and hides my cheekbones.

What looks best on any given person goes in and out of style. I'd rather look the way I want to look than the way someone else dictates.

Fencai
February 13th, 2009, 07:15 AM
personally, the thought of having hair long enough to frame my body is exciting!!!! :)

I'll agree with the "poppycokc" comment too!

Comfrey
February 13th, 2009, 07:26 AM
I have light fringe and whispy layers around my face, but thats because as I have become older, having my hair scraped back looks far too severe and matronly.

It IS a pain in the bum though because I have to keep them neat and trimmed. I would prefer not having to do so. :rolleyes:

Gingevere
February 13th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Why can't it do both? I've always thought that I look better with my hair down because it frames my face. But as it gets longer, I find it looks nice with my body as well.

Anyway, I agree with everyone regarding all this "should" business. People who go around spouting that nonsense are just trying to push societal norms or their own personal opinions on others. I generally just ignore them, but they can get pretty annoying... especially when it comes to hair! I read in magazine recently that anything past the elbows is old-fashioned and that no modern woman should wear her hair this way. :rolleyes:

Coriander
February 13th, 2009, 10:38 AM
The more I've noticed long hair, the more I have seen this kind of thing. Personally, I think it's beautiful when hair skims a woman's curves no matter how long it is. Our hair is a part of us, a part of our body, and if whether we want to have it framing our face, or framing our body is our choice.

freznow
February 13th, 2009, 01:09 PM
I am a person, not a painting. My long hair doesn't need to frame anything, it's there simply because I like that it exists.:p

I agree with this.

My hair almost never frames my face nor body. True, this is because it's almost always up. But people tell me I look good with my hair up, and I'd prefer not to lose any thickness, so I'm cool with having no fringe. I'm not really sure how it frames my body, as I don't get to see my own back that often, but I don't really care if it does or doesn't, I like it just the way it is.

Copasetic
February 13th, 2009, 01:54 PM
If you want your hair to frame your face, then it should. If you want it to frame your body, then it should.

I hate hair and beauty "rules" of any kind. I think people should rock whatever they want.

Unofficial_Rose
February 13th, 2009, 01:56 PM

-Thread highjack alert-

Oh come on, nothing completes a woman's life like a pair of plastic jubblies ;) There is an ad currently where one woman says it is the best thing she has ever done. :eek:

-Thread highjack over-

Amara
February 13th, 2009, 02:23 PM
-Thread highjack alert-

...a pair of plastic jubblies ...
-Thread highjack over-

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Beatnik Guy
February 13th, 2009, 02:48 PM
Thoughts?
Well, "b*llocks" comes to mind....:rolleyes:

Teazel
February 13th, 2009, 03:29 PM
One person's opinion. Mine differs. :shrug:

MemSahib
February 13th, 2009, 03:32 PM
"Hair should frame your face, not your body."

This is right up there with no long hair on women over 40 and the insistence that all grey be instantly covered. Poppycock is right.

Gladtobemom
February 13th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Snarky Remarks, some people just HAVE to criticize.

SimplyLonghair
February 13th, 2009, 05:52 PM
I think that having my hair frame my body is one of the reasons that I started growing in the first place. I wanted my very own cape! :D LOL
I love the way that it feels as it skims me and it makes me feel cherished! So I happen to like body framing, and as I already have glasses, I have all the frames that my face needs. :rollin:

purplebubba
February 13th, 2009, 05:58 PM
The answer is simple.
Draw a face somewhere on your back or lower. Then your hair can frame that one.
~~~~
Also I personally like having more than just the usual hair on my arms :)

EdG
February 13th, 2009, 07:00 PM
Thoughts?Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha! :rollin:
Ed

wintersun99
February 13th, 2009, 07:34 PM
"Hair should frame your face, not your body."

I rather like the idea of hair framing my body (someday, someday) but I also like my hair to have long layers around shoulder length'ish. So, what happens if I don't fit one category or the other? Uh oh :D

Vainjane
February 13th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I think it is all personal. I love long hair and prefer a long fringe to a bang, as straight accross bangs make me feel childish. I have a friend that keeps hers shorter because she thinks she is too old for long hair, while I am of the opinion, you are never too old for long hair.

Sissy
February 13th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Oh poppycock!

good answer :p