PDA

View Full Version : Infinity bun problem

sapphire-o
March 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM
I Loove the look of infinity bun secured with a hairstick. However it always droops on one side. The heavier side I guess. How do you guys secure it so it doesn't droop? I mean hair tapers so one side of the loop is usually heavier, right?

I tried to use a couple hair pins on the heavier side, it still droops after a while and the pins kinda pull uncomfortably. I figured it's because I didn't catch enough scalp hair so I put another stick in, no good at all. Actually I have similar problem with figure-8 as well. It falls down easily because the top loop is much heavier. Does anybody have tips? Especially those with tapering hair.

eresh
March 29th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I'll be watching this topic, as I've posted about this very issue in my blog today...I can never hold the shape when trying to tuck the ends in, or as you say, keep it from being uneven on one side

Nynaeve
March 29th, 2008, 06:20 PM
I honestly haven't done an infinity bun in a while because all off my hairsticks have either gone missing or been broken, both courtesy of my cat and niece.
As soon as I find some, I'll experiment for you.

capelli lunghi
March 29th, 2008, 06:25 PM
You might want to try Lady Godiva's version of the infinity bun.. For me, it makes things more even and balanced.. It is also able to be secured easier for me. It is more solid.

PatGear
March 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM
I second the recommendation of LG's version of the bun.

Even then, I have problems when I secure it with a stick instead of a fork. Forks seem to have much less tendency to rotate. With sticks, make sure to insert the stick from the side with the smaller loop. If you insert from the larger side, the weight of the topper plus the weight of the larger loop will make it that much more lobsided.

If all else fails, start with the bun slightly diagonal. Sometimes it will droop just a little and be "right". Of course sometimes it keeps going, so that's not foolproof! :lol:

ETA: With the figure-8, I make sure that the larger loop is below. It looks better and is more stable that way.

sapphire-o
March 29th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Thanks! Where can I find instruction for Lady Godiva's version of infinity bun? Do I have enough hair for it? :)

sapphire-o
March 29th, 2008, 07:02 PM
OK, I think I figured out how to do Lady G's infinity bun. Success - it's held with just one stick securely! :) Except we have another problem now. I'll show you...

I don't think I can call this an infinity bun any more. This method used up most of my hair for the first loop. Due to my taper the second loop is only 1/4 as big as the first one. What does it look like to you? A toy rubber duck is my thought. :D Sorry about the messy hair, it's just washed and quite wet.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/sapphire-o/Hair%20and%20Toys%20Photos/lopsidedbun.jpg

Yari
March 29th, 2008, 07:21 PM
What i do is twisting my hair into a bee butt bun, grabbing the outermost and the second coil. The next step is to pull each coil in opposite direction, forming either a figure 8 or an infinity bun. The innermost coil (the heavier part) will lay under the thinnest part of the 8.

Take a hairstick, pierce the first loop, scoop the stick through the innermost coil and then pierce the second loop.

It`s like a hairslide. I hope it helps.

blue_nant
March 29th, 2008, 09:48 PM
OK, I think I figured out how to do Lady G's infinity bun. Success - it's held with just one stick securely! :) Except we have another problem now. I'll show you...

I don't think I can call this an infinity bun any more. This method used up most of my hair for the first loop. Due to my taper the second loop is only 1/4 as big as the first one. What does it look like to you? A toy rubber duck is my thought. :D Sorry about the messy hair, it's just washed and quite wet.

Mine is bigger on the side where the hair closer to the scalp is, too. All I care about is that it stays up ... and I don't ever see it, lol. And I think it's still an infinity bun, lol, if it's not equal/symmetrical.

A toy rubber duck???? eh???

eadwine
March 30th, 2008, 01:34 AM
I see the duckie! I think it is quite cute, if I may say so.. and so what if it isn't symmetrical? As long as it stays up :)

Just a silly idea.. but do you know those twist in flower/bead things? One in the right spot in that bun and it'll look like an eye *grin*

Yari
March 30th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Here is a picture of my infinity bun, just to give you an idea. You can see where the innercoil is. Sorry about the messy hair, 11 hours have elapsed since i put the bun up.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5858/fgcezg8.th.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fgcezg8.jpg)

eresh
March 30th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I have that taper problem too, coils won't be equal.
Lady Godiva's method is that making coils untill you run out of hair? And then flip up the outer ones?

Lady Godiva
March 30th, 2008, 11:47 AM
I just resubmitted my article. :)

Otherwise, it's rare for the loops to be exactly equal in thickness because hair does taper. Even thick, blunt-cut hair still tapers, so the first loop is going to be a little thicker than the second. For this reason, a Figure 8 can look more balanced than an Infinity, because the Figure 8 is vertical, so the eye doesn't automatically compare the two halves. Especially if you put the larger first loop at the bottom, with the smaller second loop above, it could look very nice that way. Heck, the number 8 often is written that way.

For Infinities, the main downside for many heads is that the hair length has to be rather long for the style to be successful, which seems to help slightly with this problem as the taper drops lower and lower. Also if a person's hair is on the thinner side, this is a benefit for those with shorter hair who want to make this style. Another option is making an upper ponytail into an Infinity Bun while leaving the lower hair loose.

aprilmay
March 30th, 2008, 11:59 AM
That looks beautiful! I don't think my hair is long enough to achieve the same effect you have about 10 inches on me!

spidermom
March 30th, 2008, 12:29 PM
My "infinity bun" always turns out looking more like a croissant. (then it slithers out)

ruirui
March 30th, 2008, 09:20 PM
I have the same problem if I try to use sticks...but hair scroos seem to hold it fine.

archel
March 30th, 2008, 09:35 PM
What worked best for me is getting a great big old huge wooden hair fork (etta mae on etsy is awesome) - skewer one side, grab some hair underneath it against the scalp with the prongs, stick it back out the other side by wiggling it on through - trust me, your hair will not budge even in a tornado when wearing one of these.

The other advice that I'm about to try, is that when doing it with regular hair sticks, secure the lighter side with those hair "scroos" you can get on eBay. I'm gonna try this tomorrow. I'll report back...I have really slick hair and my buns always slide (until I got the wood forks).

Good luck!

archel
March 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM
And the only reason it is straight in my avatar photo is because I photographed it IMMEDIATELY after I put it up!

physicschick
March 30th, 2008, 11:36 PM

I still think it's pretty. :) Your hair may still be too short for this bun. Once it's a bit longer, you can take your fingers and try to even out the loops before inserting the stick. I am usually able to get them much closer in size by expanding the smaller loop with my fingers. (My bigger problem is that my remaining hair, which gets wrapped around the core, ends up asymmetric.)

jennydaesy
March 31st, 2008, 07:46 PM
Here is a picture of my infinity bun, just to give you an idea. You can see where the innercoil is. Sorry about the messy hair, 11 hours have elapsed since i put the bun up.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/5858/fgcezg8.th.jpg (http://img291.imageshack.us/my.php?image=fgcezg8.jpg) its very pretty..

Yari
April 1st, 2008, 03:21 PM
@jennydaesy
Thank you for the lovely compliment. I'm pleased to meet you.

zelah
April 3rd, 2008, 12:40 AM
What i do is twisting my hair into a bee butt bun, grabbing the outermost and the second coil. The next step is to pull each coil in opposite direction, forming either a figure 8 or an infinity bun. The innermost coil (the heavier part) will lay under the thinnest part of the 8.

Take a hairstick, pierce the first loop, scoop the stick through the innermost coil and then pierce the second loop.

THANK YOU thank you, I have not been able to figure out everyone else's description but on my first try I was able to do this. It's rather messy but damn good for a first try this late at night! :bowtome:

khyricat
April 3rd, 2008, 01:23 PM
The only way I can do one and have it stay is to use the matched nesting metal forks I have from ronquatro.. I put one in each direction and that seems to hold it, otherwise it rotates around to the figure 8 for me by end of day...

Amie

squiggyflop
April 3rd, 2008, 01:35 PM
atleast you all can get an infinity bun to look like an infinity symbol... here is what usually happens to my infinity buns.. they hold well they just look strange
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/kidmol/twistydo.jpg

Yari
April 3rd, 2008, 04:55 PM
zelah, i'm very happy for you! Yay!

squiggyflop, your hairstyle is, in my opinion, just beautiful and different. Just a thought: Invent a name for a new hairstyle?

squiggyflop
April 3rd, 2008, 05:36 PM
squiggyflop, your hairstyle is, in my opinion, just beautiful and different. Just a thought: Invent a name for a new hairstyle?
wow im bad at making up names... all i can think of squiggly bun... or wiggly bun. see how bad i am? .. its really easy too...

aprilmay
April 6th, 2008, 11:49 AM
squiggyflop, I think your hair looks great. I only have luck with a standard bun, but I am inspired to experiment thanks to all of you here!

sahiba
April 6th, 2008, 08:28 PM

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n39/sapphire-o/Hair%20and%20Toys%20Photos/lopsidedbun.jpg

But to me it does look like an infinity bun and a very neat one too.

Kittee
April 6th, 2008, 10:19 PM
Hmmm I never thought about doing this. I've always been a figure 8 girl. I need to try!