PDA

View Full Version : long hair and glasses???

theAnimeway
March 29th, 2008, 05:45 PM
hiya as you all know I have been growing my hair out for 16 months now

I had to get glasses a few months ago I wore em a few times BUT I hat em I haven't worn them for a few months now I was happy til my Pop brought up the subject yesterday and told me to find them. I found them I was forced to wear em. I really hate how I look with the glasses and long hair.

I love my hair and everything but I am tempted to just to give up and get a shortcut so then I wouldn't look like a complete jack@ss with the glasses

what should I do? becuase I really don't wanna cut my hair

thanks

theAnimeway
March 29th, 2008, 05:59 PM
anyone????

Lamb
March 29th, 2008, 06:07 PM
It really shouldn't be a problem. I guess it is simply the new "spectacled" look you find unusual, not the glasses+long hair combo. If you had short hair, you wouldn't like that any better with the glasses, I'll wager.

I have been wearing glasses since I was 11. The trick is to find the right style for your face. Also, experiment with your looks - hair down, hair up, hair parted this way or that way. It's a major change in your appearance, it sure was in mine, I guess it's the same for guys as girls.

And be patient. Give yourself time to get used to your glasses. Your hair is really beautiful and shiny, do not cut it!!

And remember: the health of your eyes is important, "forgetting" to wear your glasses can do damage to your sight especially if you are young. I got my first pair way too late. In a short time, my eyesight deteriorated and now I need much stronger glasses than I did at first. So, wear your glasses, enjoy life in its sharper outlines, and enjoy your hair.

CurlyNinja
March 29th, 2008, 06:10 PM
If you need to wear them, you probably should no matter how you think it makes you look. Maybe after a while you can switch to contact lenses?

But why do you think you look bad with glasses and long hair? There are lots of people here with glasses and long hair, and to be honest I don't quite understand how short hair would fix what you see as the problem.

Maybe try some different styles, like updos or half-ups? It could change up your look a bit.

magicatt
March 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM
I think you'll find that there are at least some other people on this list with both long hair and glasses. I don't see anything wrong with the combination myself. I've been wearing glasses since I was 9 and I've had every length of hair from hip to pixie with them. I have always felt that it's not what you wear but how you wear it that matters. If you really don't like the look of long hair and glasses, then that is what will make you look less attractive--the fact that you don't like the look of them. That being said, the decision to cut or not is up to you. You should do with your hair whatever you think will make you feel good about yourself on the inside so you can project that outwards. You can also keep in mind that hair always grows so you can change your mind one way or the other.

lorig713
March 29th, 2008, 06:11 PM
Lots of people with long hair wear glasses including my husband (waist length) and myself (4" from knee). I get lots of compliments on my hair (which is usually in a single braid) and I think wearing glasses only enhances my "look".

I say keep your long hair and glasses. :D

Jeni
March 29th, 2008, 06:32 PM
I have had glasses since I was in the 3rd grade, never wore them. I hated them, felt like they made my face look even rounder then it was! Finally after years (and years and YEARS) of not wearing glasses and squinting (getting tons of headaches and developing a lovely wrinkle on my forehead, seriously I'm 25 and I have a deep forehead wrinkle!) I finally gave up and went to get glasses. This time I took a friend with me and after 4 different places and 500 different glasses, we found a wonderful pair. They look fantastic on me! It's all about finding the right shape for you face, the right color (mine are burgundy) and above all, getting use to them! I did eventually get contacts, but I never wear them, I think I look better with glasses on. Never thought I would say that.

Don't cut you hair short unless you want short hair. You will most likely hate glasses just as much with short hair. Give it time, I'm sure you don't look as bad as you think you do. You may find you like them, or if not, maybe your parents will get you contacts.

Good luck!
Jeni

HairColoredHair
March 29th, 2008, 06:33 PM
Try wearing your hair back when you wear them (in a ponytail, maybe with a leather wrap?) Plus, that will keep the hair out of the hinges... which hurts. :lol:

Don't worry about it... eventually you'll get used to the look if you continue to wear them.

sweetkandi
March 29th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Are contacts an option? I switched to them, cuz I dont really like the look of them on me either. Contacts are so much better, in my opinion.

Mitzy
March 29th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Cutting your hair won't help, because it is the glasses you dislike, not the hair! Take it from one who knows. It takes about two days to get to the point where you are less aware of the glasses and don't "see" the rims all the time and get distracted. It takes 6 to 8 weeks to get used to how you look in them, I would say. After that, it takes about 2 to 4 weeks to get used to new frames everytime you get new glasses, longer if the styles change drastically, say from wire rims to these new dark plastic frames that are all the rage now. At least, those are my estimates, based on having worn glasses off and on (switching off with contacts for long periods as work allowed, etc, for uni I mostly wore glasses, then went back to contacts for work until my eyes got worse, etc) for the last 30+ years.

Darian Moone
March 29th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I've had glasses since the 2nd grade and had long hair for the majority of my life from about age 12 and older. Now I sometimes wear glasses - sometimes I wear contacts. I wear whatever I feel like - not what I think other people want to see or expect to see. Long hair and glasses look just as nice as long hair and no glasses.

Maybe it will help to think of your glasses as a fun fashion accessory as opposed to something you "have" to wear. You could save up to maybe get a second pair so you could change your look when you want to. HTH.

Xandergrammy
March 29th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Oh sweetie, there are lots of us here who have long hair and glasses. I've had glasses for many years, and it took me awhile to get used to the way I looked. Take a look around at all the women here and you'll see that long hair and glasses can be a very pretty combination!!

theAnimeway
March 29th, 2008, 07:14 PM
Are contacts an option? I switched to them, cuz I dont really like the look of them on me either. Contacts are so much better, in my opinion.no they are not

Lamb
March 29th, 2008, 07:24 PM
no they are not

When I was 16 I was told the same. But really, do not feel so bad about this. This is a practical issue, you need glasses in order to see properly. Find a style that suits you, that is comfortable (priority #1 with me), and give yourself time to get used to your specs.

yogachic
March 29th, 2008, 07:27 PM
I have glasses, but I won't let that stop me from having long hair. The one problem I do have with glasses and my hair, is that my hair gets caught in the screw of my glasses on the bow and breaks my hair off

DecafJane
March 29th, 2008, 07:31 PM
Do you have a funky pair of frames that you like? I find that having a pair that you really like can help. I have worn glasses with both a pixie cut, hair down to my mid-back and every length in-between. It really depends on the glasses - a fashionable pair can be an accessory, if you get used to the fact that you are wearing glasses. :)

Blueglass
March 29th, 2008, 07:33 PM
I tend to think smaller glasses with wire frames suit long hair better the sporty frames. I am also very fond of my daily wear contacts however.

Arianwen
March 29th, 2008, 07:36 PM
I have long hair (I like to think so, anyway) and I've worn glasses for years. Glasses make ya look smart. Cutting your hair off won't change the fact you don't have perfect vision. Can you ask if you can wear contacts?

Sapphire'sWings
March 29th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I have long hair and glasses. I hate how I look with glasses but give up all these years of growth? Nope! Glasses felt weird for me at first, but I had to get used to it, or I can barely see anything that's far away (even when I'm close to the board, whatever is written on it looks like a huge blob).

I don't know what to tell you, except maybe give it time and then do what you think is best.

Rose_Red
March 29th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Personally, I love the look of long hair and glasses :)

I've been wearing glasses since I was about eleven. Wore contacts for a few years in my late teens and early twenties, but I can only wear them very rarely now (dry eyes from autoimmune disease). The only time I don't like wearing glasses is if I'm getting dressed up to go out these days.

Onebeauty
March 29th, 2008, 07:58 PM
I love the way I look in glasses and updos ... kind of the librarian look LOL. I actually think I look kind of funny WITHOUT my glasses.

Urchin
March 29th, 2008, 08:24 PM
I've had glasses since age 4, and I've had hair down to my waist before. I think it looks fine. It really depends on the person. The look itself isn't bad at all.

Honestly, I think glasses, when chosen properly, make people look better, not worse.

Stagecoach
March 29th, 2008, 08:27 PM
I have long hair and glasses and I really don't mind anymore!

I hated my first pair of glasses... my second wasn't so bad, and I love my third!

I really think the key is to find a pair that YOU like on YOU. Don't go for the ones you think look cute/modern/'in' on the models... go for what suits you, something that expresses yourself.

MeMyselfandI
March 29th, 2008, 08:38 PM
theAnimeway,

I feel for you.

I got glasses in highschool. I hated them. My friend threatened to tell my father I was not wearing them. In some classes I would sit on the floor by the blackboard to see the notes I needed to take down. Yup, I was stuborn.

I hated my glasses until at a change of prescription, my sweet dad said, get the pair that you will be happy in. So I got a pair that suited me AND I felt comfortable in. After that, each time I changed frames, I agonized over what to get.

I have worn glasses with long and short hair. I did not change my glasses for the hair. I learned to buy the glasses that suited my face and colouring.

Even as an adult, I find choosing eye glasses daunting. I need a new pair and I was trying on some yesterday. It still is not easy. I just realized with the henna some frames colours I wore in the past do not suit me at all. At least my current pair does not look bad with my new henna hair.

There are different ways to look at glasses:

Bold look at me.
Just blend into the woodwork.
Just awful.

You need to find a pair that when you put them on you feel like: I look good and confident in my glasses.

Do some google searches, on types and ways to find a pair that suit you. Wear what you have now, next time, look for a different frame.

How long have you had these frames? Is it to late to exchange them?

funnybunny668
March 29th, 2008, 08:40 PM
I've worn glasses for so long I don't look like myself without them.
I have to agree with what everyone else has said, find a pair that you like, that looks good on you.

Deborah
March 29th, 2008, 08:56 PM
Probably you are just not adjusted yet to how you look in glasses. Give yourself at least a week to get used to the look. If you still don't like how you look, well, honestly, it's the hair that has to go, NOT the glasses. Your eye health and vision are SO much more important than whether your glasses do or do not coordinate with your long hair.

I have worn glasses since age 8, and have always had long hair, so I'm pretty used to the look. Would I love to not need them? Absolutely! Would I neglect to wear them? Absolutely not!

Just remind yourself that your eye health is many times more important than your physical appearance.

Give it time. I honestly think you just need to get used to your new, 'more sophisticated' look. I know someone who bought a nice pair with clear lenses who likes to wear them because he is convinced that he looks smarter and more handsome when he wears them.

Best of luck! :)

p.s. If you do opt to keep the long hair as well as the glasses, I do have one tip. Generally speaking glasses wearers tend to look much nicer if their hair is kept back out of the face. Hair in close around the face can look way too 'busy' with glasses, and sometimes a bit sloppy. Now if you (or others) feel differently, please don't beat me up. I am not trying to pick on anyone, :couch: honestly.

Stagecoach
March 29th, 2008, 09:01 PM
You need to find a pair that when you put them on you feel like: I look good and confident in my glasses.

Bravo!!! Well said.

That's what I finally did with this last pair of mine... and no one in my family liked them initially, but I've recieved loads of compliments on them from total strangers! And once, when I had to take them into get fixed after being bent out of position, the guy said "These suit you very well."
But now, my family likes them, and I absolutely love them! They are so much a part of me that even if I didn't HAVE to wear glasses I would just so I could wear these ones!

LisaButz2001
March 29th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I have always had long hair (waist or more) and glasses from at least age 8. I have small oval, tortiseshell frames now, but back when I first got them the Dr. said I'd never be able to have small frames because of the prescription/lens thickness; thank goodness materials and technology have improved! It never occurred to me to cut my hair. In my mind, after getting the glasses, my hair was the only feature I liked. In that regard the other members are probably right, if you like long hair and hate glasses, then cutting your hair will give you 2 things to hate VS just one. The other members are also correct that putting your hair back often improves the look with glasses. I favor a single braid or bun, ponytails or loose tend to catch in the hinges which damages your hair and can be painful. Let us know what you decide to do.

Xanthippe
March 29th, 2008, 10:28 PM
I think this is a good time for the Two Week Rule. Wear your glasses for two weeks straight and then after that, see if you still think it looks funny. I remember when I first got glasses, I thought I looked funny but I got used to it and realized it was just different and not in a bad way. Then, when I switched to contacts, I thought it looked weird again. Now that I'm back to glasses, I actually prefer them. I hope you figure out something that you like!

Keiera
March 29th, 2008, 11:50 PM
I've worn glasses since I was little, so I'm used to seeing myself with them now. I don't look right without glasses on my face (I can't see myself in the mirror without them anyway :D). It helps to take a long time picking out a pair, rather than just grabbing the cheapest or the one with the flashest designer name. The shape of the frames can compliment your face nicely, or make you look terrible.

If you want some varity, zennioptical offers full pairs of glasses for 8 bucks. When most glasses places charge 150 for the frame and over 200 for the lenses, this is a great option for really trying out different frames for your face. Shipping is 5 bucks, no matter how many pairs you order. I recently ordered a pair from there, and I was quite satisfied.

Please don't cut your hair just because you had to get glasses. You'll get used to them in time. Or you can always see if you can do contacts.

Elenna
March 30th, 2008, 12:14 AM
It is very important to get glasses that look good on you. Try on lots of glasses from different places if you can. And get opinions about how they look on you.

Also, try not to get thick lenses. You could look into clear, high index and non-glare lenses. You may like metal frames better.

tiny_teesha
March 30th, 2008, 05:26 AM
You think that's bad? I have long hair, glasses AND braces!! Take that!
Glasses and long hair doesn't look bad, i don't know where you got that from! I like glasses and long hair so it works out for me. Braces too is a bit nerd overkill but that will be over in a few short months (finally!)

nastasska
March 30th, 2008, 07:49 AM
I wear glasses with long hair:cheese: It's not really very different from wearing Sunglassses with long hair

Heres a bit of a photograph

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v339/Nastasska/IM000473glassestheglasses.jpg

I look dreadful from this angle but:shrug:

jojo
March 30th, 2008, 11:06 AM
I love my glasses, i think they look lovely with long hair. I dont like bold styles on me, i have the half frames as in my avatar.

lilalong
March 30th, 2008, 11:18 AM
It took me one weeks to pick out my last frames.
One week, and a very honest friend.
I must have tried on about 500 pairs. I took pictures of the ones I liked most while wearing them and looked at them later that day at my computer. Luckily, the optician was very patient.

I'm glad I took my time, because the glasses I've chosen are perfect! I like them very much, they suit my hair and I'm even considering buying the frames again, just in case I break the original ones.

Don't cut your hair, just buy the right glasses.

Stephanie
March 30th, 2008, 11:33 AM
I love glasses and the right ones can really make a face look spectacular (almost a pun - lol). I've had some great help from the people who work at the eyeglass shop in finding glasses that suit my face. On men, I tend to prefer the thin, metal rimmed glasses with smallish lenses. Long hair with sophisticated glasses... Yup!

frizzinator
March 30th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I've worn glasses for 40 years, during which time I've had long hair and short hair. The only issue regarding hair length and glasses is long hair getting caught in the hinges. I strongly recommend this style to completely avoid this problem:

http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee178/frizzliz/33008002.jpg

If you believe there is a problem with the looks of long hair and glasses, then wear your hair up ....which also protects your hair so that it grows out with very little breaking. I truly wish I had done this ever since the last time my hair was short.

spidermom
March 30th, 2008, 11:54 AM
I agree. Long hair and glasses are not a problem. Perhaps you could switch to contact lenses in the future. The local optical shop had a sale on them last year, and I got a one-year supply of disposable soft contact lenses for less than $100 (that's U.S. dollars; I forgot where in the world you are). Unfortunately I discovered that I can't wear them for very long as they make my eyes water. Drats!

Starr
March 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM
I've been wearing glasses since I was in the third grade and hated them from that point until I was 16, when I got contacts and a new set of frames that I actually liked (for the first time ever). I discovered that I prefer bold frames on me as opposed to the wire rims I had been wearing. Then of course contacts were to much of a hassle to be bothered with everyday and I only wore them once or twice a week. . . I've been happily wearing my glasses ever since. The frames make a difference and most days I prefer the look of glasses now.

As far as contacts not being on option- my parents told me no for years because my dad said that if I couldn't be responsible in wearing the glasses so I could see, then how could he be sure I would wear the contacts (without checking my eyeballs everyday of course)? Give it some time, wear your glasses, and there's a possibility that you could get contacts in the future, but please don't jeopordize your vision in the meantime.

Me in glasses with 2nd day hair (excuse the myspacy-ness of the pic):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/Phate1/Hair/glasses.jpg

squiggyflop
March 30th, 2008, 04:02 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v330/Phate1/Hair/glasses.jpg
i have glasses that are simalar to starr's ive been told that i look better in glasses when my hair is longer... i dont wear my glasses very often though... only one of my eyes is bad enough to need glasses... im thinking it may be cheaper in the long run to get lasic surgery because it costs like 900$ per eye... glasses cost 300$ per year so it would pay for itself in 3 years for each eye... i would only get it in my bad eye i think..
im thinking you may just need new frames that work with long hair...

Robbi Dehlinger
March 30th, 2008, 04:07 PM
Hi!

I have worn glasses since I was 10, I wear l'il glasses now and I think they look fine with long hair:)

Robbi

mellie
March 30th, 2008, 04:35 PM
Thank you to the ladies who posted their photos in their glasses, you are all so beautiful! You are an inspiration! I have glasses too, but I usually wear my contacts because I think my face is too round and the glasses make it worse. Maybe I am imagining it, because you all look great! But, I have lots of problems with my hair getting caught in the hinges too!

Celebrian
March 30th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I'd never thought about it before - but I can think of loads of people I've known/met who had long hair and wore glasses. I remember some (most?) of them looking very attractive in that combo.

I wear contacts - but have just been to choose some new spectacle frames, so I can give my eyes a break from the contacts every now and then. Actually, they look really good with my long hair. I was quite suprised.

I chose quite small, almost oval shaped darkish frames - and these look so much better than the enormous spyglasses I still have lurking from the early 1990's. Now they really were horrors! I don't know what made me get them at the time...

A man once told me that he loved women in glasses. He said they were 'mysterious - like a mask'.

Go figure!

squiggyflop
March 30th, 2008, 05:09 PM
Thank you to the ladies who posted their photos in their glasses, you are all so beautiful! You are an inspiration! I have glasses too, but I usually wear my contacts because I think my face is too round and the glasses make it worse. Maybe I am imagining it, because you all look great! But, I have lots of problems with my hair getting caught in the hinges too!
ive got chubby chipmunk cheeks! my mom has them too... i try not to smile too much because if i smile big my cheeks look huge!

intothemist1999
March 30th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Funny you should mention this, since I"m on the look-out for new glasses.

Over the years, I've always made the same mistake: I buy a pair of glasses then get the urge to get a new hairstyle. Invariably the new glasses don't look right with the new 'do.

Now that I'm growing out my hair, that should no longer be an issue.

There are programs you can buy where you can upload a photo of yourself and try different hairstyles and eyeglasses, etc. There is also an online eyeglass company one can order from and they have a similar sort of thing on the site. Someone told me about that site on the old board, but I don't have it bookmarked.

You could even try some online avatar makers, as they include glasses. Sounds silly, maybe, but it can give you an idea about what kind work for your face & hair.

http://illustmaker.abi-station.com/index_en.shtml
http://avatars.yahoo.com/

theAnimeway
March 30th, 2008, 06:13 PM
thanks all I have already made up my mind, I am keepin my hair with the glasses, maybe it is time to try some styles

can a mod please lock or delete this thread?

thanks