PDA

View Full Version : What are the pros and cons of hair bunjiis?

Botticelli Gold
February 11th, 2009, 10:15 PM
You know, those elastic thingies with hooks on both ends. Are they used instead of normal hairties?
Im not quite sure which situations they are good for.

Anyone care to enlighten me?

PseudoScot
February 11th, 2009, 10:20 PM
There are hair bunjiis and there are hair bunjiis, actually. I suppose if you're not careful, the hooks could cause some damage if they caught on hairs.

The type of bunji you are talking about is like a mini bunjii cord and can be nice because you wrap the cord around your hair and hook it tight. And yes you use them instead of normal hair ties.

The other hair bunjiis are a little known hair secret - they are a wonderful little hair device made awhile ago but are discontinued. I didn't know about them before I came here. They look completely different but no doubt will get mentioned so I thought I'd bring them up now. I'll see if I can find some pics for you to explain what they are. Some people don't like them - they say they pull or are too tight, but I love mine. They don't slip and are smooth on the hair!

The main 'advantage' perhaps to a bunji-cord style hair tie is that if you do it tight enough, it shouldn't relax like normal hair ties, thus eliminating the constant tightening [and thus reducing wear and tear].

ETA: Natasska has a picture of some bunjiis here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6191&highlight=bunjii). They come up from time to time on the swap board and literally fly off it, people want them so bad. They are a bit hard to explain but easy to use. The bunjii makes a loop. You slide your hair into the loop, and then slide the bunjii cord up where you want it to be. Then, wrap the loose tail around your ponytail a couple times and slip the cord into the black plastic holder. They can go for a variety of prices on the swap board but were sold for around the $8-$9 mark give or take and you can still get them around that price, though some sellers ask more.

ETA2: This link on bunjii stuff (http://www.longhairloom.com/bunjii.html) will explain it all much better! Sadly they are discontinued but like I said do pop up on the swap board every so often here.

Botticelli Gold
February 11th, 2009, 11:09 PM
Thankyou soo much pseudoscot :) That is very helpful.
Yes I was talking about the first type you mention and I have never heard of the second one.
I will definitely have a looksee at what they are all about and if one comes up on a swap...maybe.
I do have a few of the elastic with hook types so I will try them out but i'll make sure im careful with them.

Botticelli Gold
February 11th, 2009, 11:15 PM
Wow! I just had a look at those links. Those things are cool! That 18 carat gold with diamond accent is stunning! (in my dreams I know).
Why do they not make them anymore? I had never heard of them until now.

Deborah
February 12th, 2009, 12:31 AM
I had a couple, but I found that they tangled in my hair, so I did not like them.

suicides_eve
February 12th, 2009, 01:07 PM
looks complicated.. then again i still can't figure out how to uses beak clip:doh:
i have never even heard of these before.

darkwaves
February 14th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I have some of the ones with the hooks on either end -- and the concept is great, as you should be able to tie your hair up in a ponytail without disturbing the curl pattern of your hair by wrenching it through a round elastic.

In practice, well, it takes practice to figure them out!