PDA

View Full Version : Hairforks Hurt

Deborah
March 29th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I LOVE the look of hairforks, but the only pair I have (ebony by 60th Street Productions) hurt like heck, no matter how I position them.

I can and do wear hairsticks frequently, but the fork is impossible for me to actually wear. Occasionally I can put it in without too much discomfort, but in a short while it hurts a lot, and I end up having to remove it.

Do others experience this?

Do just some brands hurt, or do they all feel pretty much the same?

Are skinny metal ones any better? Quattro starlites for example?

This is so frustrating. My hair is extremely fine (about medium thickness because I have lots of it). Is the baby-fine texture maybe the problem?

Should I just stick with sticks?

Any help will be much appreciated! :flower:

Deborah

freznow
March 29th, 2008, 04:45 PM
I have this most of the time with the forks. I'm going to assume that it's because I can't 'weave' them in like I do with sticks. Maybe the curvature of them is the harm...

Typically, they work better with some styles than others. Like I can hold a bee but bun and sometimes other twisted styles with a fork, but never a wrapped one (which I wear more often)

akurah
March 29th, 2008, 04:48 PM
You might have better luck not using the fork to secure a hairdo, but some hidden pins, then to pop in the fork for decoration.

OhioLisa
March 29th, 2008, 04:49 PM
I have the same exact problem with 60th street. I have concluded it is their prong spacing, since theirs is much more narrow than any other makers' I have tried. I would advise you to try another maker's fork and see if it works better for you. Good luck!

Guenever
March 29th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Is pulling the problem - the updo feels too tight?

Because that's what I used to "deal with".. If you turn the fork inside the bun like you would with a stick in order to grab the base twist and some of the scalp hair to keep the updo secure, Ouch - you get the pulling thing.. Well.. at least I do :P so I just slide it right through the bun - the multiple prongs keep it in place.. it's even a bit better if the bun's loose..

pookatrina
March 29th, 2008, 04:59 PM
How many prongs is it? I just can not get a 3 prong to work in my hair, just plain old can't. I don't know how long your hair is, but if it's long enough & you're doing a style that doesn't need mega hold try just weaving it through the bun & not the scalp. My everyday bun works great like this & doesn't pull or hurt. Like OhioLisa said sometimes one maker may not work for you but another maker will. If all else fails see if you can swap it for another maker on the Swap Board. Good luck!

eadwine
March 29th, 2008, 05:07 PM
A hurting 60thstreet. Push it in till it won't go further, grab bun, wiggle. Push further.. grab bun, wiggle.

You should see me when I insert my forks :lol: But wiggle the bun to make it looser. A fork is good for face lifts if you don't do that ;)

OhioLisa
March 29th, 2008, 05:10 PM
A hurting 60thstreet. Push it in till it won't go further, grab bun, wiggle. Push further.. grab bun, wiggle.

You should see me when I insert my forks :lol: But wiggle the bun to make it looser. A fork is good for face lifts if you don't do that ;)

To me though, you really shouldn't have to go through all that. All my forks from other makers pretty much slide in without a problem. No wiggling, no pulling, etc. If I have to "work with it" like that, it's no good to me. :shrug:

eadwine
March 29th, 2008, 05:21 PM
We all have different hair ;) Can't do much about that now.

It is like that for me with EVERY fork, even my folded knitting needle.

sapphire-o
March 29th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Do you all twist your bun into a solid rock? :) Make it a bit loose then it shouldn't be so hard to put the fork in. Experiment a bit and change the directions you insert it. I don't know why but changing the direction of a hairtoy often makes my updo more secure or comfortable.

I noticed you said you have a "pair" of hair forks. You are not using a pair at a time, are you? That might be too much wood in one bun. :)

longhairedfairy
March 29th, 2008, 06:03 PM
I don't think I have any actual forks, but I agree that it sounds like you may have your hair too tight. It needs to give a little. Good luck:)

eadwine
March 29th, 2008, 06:08 PM
Yep.. loosening it up with help tons!

Nynaeve
March 29th, 2008, 06:23 PM
I think it just depends on the type of bun or roll or whatever you are sticking them into, or it has in my experience.
I also seem to find that I hurt more with forks that have prongs that are closer together.
I haven't worn a fork in a while though, cause I can't seem to find my forks or sticks. Anywhere.

hrimfaxi
March 29th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I find that my updos can be looser (and may have to be looser!) for a fork to work. That said, I only have one 60th street fork that I almost never use, so I can't really give you any advice regarding their forks in comparison to anyone else's.

Wavelength
March 29th, 2008, 07:48 PM
I don't have a 60th Street fork, but I second the idea that you should try making your buns looser. I know that helps me with inserting my hairforks, and I can wear them without pain.

Deborah
March 29th, 2008, 08:27 PM
Thank you all for your helpful replies. Here are a couple of answers: I have tried every kind of bun that I can pull off, plus looser and tighter, plus using different angles, different weaving, and no weaving; nothing made any difference. My hair is below waist, so there's plenty of hair.

Maybe OhioLisa is correct; the spacing of the 60th Street forks is apparently closer than others. That gives me hope that another maker's product may work for me.

I'm thinking of a Baerreis, or an Etta Mae. Do you think one of these would work? What concerns me is that both of these seem to have slightly fatter prongs than average. I have gotten the impression that fat prongs may not work well in ultra-fine hair.

Any opinions?

Thanks in advance! :blossom:

Rae~
March 29th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Deborah, I have a couple of Baerreis forks, and the 2-prong one I have has slightly fatter prongs than the 3-prong one. However, and I'm not sure of this but, it could depend on the individual design as well?

I will shortly order my first Etta Mae items but at the moment I can't give any comparison. I'm sure there are others around who can. I don't have any other wooden hair forks from other makers, either.

I also have reasonably fine hair, and at first I found metal hair accessories much easier to use, due to the skinnier prongs. 2-3mm takes up barely any room in the bun so I didn't get those tightening or "binding" issues that I did with thicker sticks/forks.

These days, I have a little more experience with my hair and better understand how I have to create the buns slightly differently (ie looser, for the most part) when I use wooden hair accessories with thicker prongs, so now I can usually use either. Personally, my preference is still for the metal hair accessories, although that's more for aesthetic reasons than anything else.

Oh, and I much prefer a wider prongset on my hair accessories. My Baerreis 3-prong has a very narrow prongset and for that reason alone, is used a lot less than others. I don't know why this is an issue for me as I don't have overly thick nor thin hair. :shrug:

eadwine
March 30th, 2008, 01:31 AM
As for the spacing.. 60thstreet makes custom forks, including wider spaced ones!

Deborah
March 30th, 2008, 06:57 AM
I will be out all day, but any further responses will be gladly and gratefully read tonight.

Thanks!

Nini
March 30th, 2008, 10:45 AM
I have fine hair too, but quite a bit of it. And forks are my favourite hairtoy, it stays in like a dream!

But it has to be the right fork. Curved forks are better than straight ones, although I only have one that is straight, I find I don't reach for it very often.

My curved Baerris fork tends to work itself out of my buns, no matter how I do them. So I think that's due to their design.

My two-prong Mamacat and three-prong Blondiesturn are my favourites. I make fairly firm buns, if not the hair'll slide out;) I weave and do add some scalp hair to keep it in place.

Hope you find a routine that works for you!

Nini

Curlsgirl
March 31st, 2008, 09:19 PM
It definitely takes me a bit to get my forks to stay in and not pull my scalp hair. OUCH! I LOVE my sixtieth street ones though. I do like someone said though and I don't catch much scalp hair like I have to do with sticks. Also they work better for me in a figure 8 or infinity than with a bun. I LOVE my new three prong fork from Sixtieth St. (in my siggy and avi) I like my Baerris and others but the Sixtieth streets are my favorite ones because they slide in so easily. I am sure it depends on the hair and what you are looking for.

Kittee
March 31st, 2008, 10:13 PM
I only own 60th street and they are my most comfy things I put in my hair. Heck I use my 2 prong like its a scrunchy and its just as comfy to me. :) My 3 prong holds like a dream as well and is very comfy also.

Anje
March 31st, 2008, 10:32 PM
Echoing Sapphire-o here. Usually people only wear a single fork -- two would be a LOT to cram into your hair, no matter how loose you wrap it. (Actually, I tend to use a single stick for the same reason -- two cause pulling. I think it has to do with grabbing scalp hair with one, then forcing another under it.)

Deborah
March 31st, 2008, 11:47 PM
"I LOVE the look of hairforks, but the only pair I have..."

Just to clarify...I only wear (actually 'tried to wear' is more accurate) one hairfork. I called my hairfork 'a pair' in the same way that one would call the slacks they wear 'a pair' of pants.

Sorry that this caused confusion. :flower:

On another note, I see that many of you love the 60th Street forks. That is exactly what I have, and what hurts my head. So many of you have success with this brand, but not me. Maybe that answers my question. It appears that maybe hairforks just don't work for me. :shake:

That's a bummer. I still want to shop for them! How dumb is that!? :(

eadwine
March 31st, 2008, 11:54 PM
Did you read my comment at all about them also making wider spaced prong forks? That just might be key for you.

Deborah
April 1st, 2008, 12:08 AM
Did you read my comment at all about them also making wider spaced prong forks? That just might be key for you.

Yes, I have read all the posts.

I guess I'm unwilling to try 60th Street again. I don't think the prong width is the only issue, but I suppose it could be. I think maybe I need really skinny, wide-spaced prongs, (something like the wiggly Starlites or something similar,) or maybe I need to just give up on forks and be satisfied with my sticks (I have lots.)

I think I am just disappointed that I can't use the nice substantial hairforks like Etta Mae's or Baerreis'. (grumbling at self: Get over it Deb!)

Velvettt
April 1st, 2008, 01:46 AM
I have thin, fine hair. I own two hairforks: a Monk the Monk curved 2 prong and a straighter edged 2 prong Ettamae. The MTM is my "go-to" hair tool. It holds every kind of bun I can make, it never pulls and it never slides out. The Ettamae is less comfy and pulls a bit. I think it's the curve that makes the difference, because the EM prongs are thinner than the MTM prongs so it can't be thick prongs. The EM is my preferred fork for half ups. It's so lightweight, it doesn't pull down the teeny, tiny little bun of half my hair. I'd like to get a 60th St fork and a Baerreis fork at some point.

sapphire-o
April 1st, 2008, 02:03 AM
I love my forks from monkthemonk. They have pretty wide gap and skinny prongs and nearly no tapering. So they don't pull much at all even when you put them into a tight updo. I ordered all mine in dymondwood so it's Ok for rainy days, too. They're the hairtoys I reach for the most right now. I'm sure with custom order you can ask other fork makers to make wider gap, too.

I also noticed there's a Canadian seller on Etsy making skinny light forks. Might be worth a try. :)

eadwine
April 1st, 2008, 10:16 AM
What you could try is get one of those sock knitting needles (4mm max) and fold them in half. Knitting needles are thin, you can determine your own spacing, and maybe those home made forks WILL work for you :)

SHELIAANN1969
April 1st, 2008, 10:30 AM

OMG, I am dying here visualizing this.....grab bun, wiggle, push further, grab bun wiggle....

Its like a really bad version of the Macarena!!! hahahaha :cheese:

Les
April 1st, 2008, 10:31 AM
I am just getting comfortable with forking techniques myself. I think I am competent with a hairstick, but my two-prong fork seems to require a very different technique. I've gotten it right a few times, but it usually seems to be either too loose or pulling in one spot. I seem to remember going through the same problems when learning how to use a stick, so I think it is just a natural part of the process.

eadwine
April 1st, 2008, 12:04 PM
OMG, I am dying here visualizing this.....grab bun, wiggle, push further, grab bun wiggle....

Its like a really bad version of the Macarena!!! hahahaha :cheese:

Whahaha it isn't as bad as it sounds really :lol: It just is to loosen the hair between the tines so I can slide the fork further :)

When my hair grows longer I can do things a little less tight from the getgo, that will make it easier even to insert it. Less macarena :lol:

SHELIAANN1969
April 2nd, 2008, 08:27 AM
I have fork/ stick issues too, sometimes theyre just so darn tight and it either pulls some of my hair, or it lays so hard against my head I think Ill rub a bald spot on it.

I usually have to wiggle. turn, tug gently at some sections of hair too, just to get it right.

I start work around 830 am and usually do a quick bun and if it stays, Im pleased for the day, there are some days, that hair doesnt want to cooperate!!

Yesterday my hair was all frizzy but still secure, we were going to the store, Iknow my halo hair looked hideous, like I had bene in a windstorm, but I refused to "re-bun" because I can never getthe same result if I take it out and mess with it.

I asked bf, "does my hair look TOO bad"? He said it was ok, so I went all frizzy!!

Deborah
April 2nd, 2008, 05:10 PM
I made and wore a knitting needle fork yesterday. It did not hurt, but did not feel too secure either. After a couple of hours I felt my hair releasing and cascading down my back. Maybe I could use these if I wore a couple at a time. I wish they made these double-pointy-ended-needles in a considerably longer length. I have found them in various thicknesses, but always the same length.

For those who have them, do the Starlites (Quattro) work well? I like the look and idea of his squiggly Starlite fork.

Chromis
April 2nd, 2008, 05:30 PM
I made and wore a knitting needle fork yesterday. It did not hurt, but did not feel too secure either. After a couple of hours I felt my hair releasing and cascading down my back. Maybe I could use these if I wore a couple at a time. I wish they made these double-pointy-ended-needles in a considerably longer length. I have found them in various thicknesses, but always the same length.

For those who have them, do the Starlites (Quattro) work well? I like the look and idea of his squiggly Starlite fork.

The wooden and bamboo ones are different lengths depending on brand, but they couldn't be bent into a fork. Brittany Birch needles are quite long!

frizzinator
April 2nd, 2008, 06:12 PM
After a lot of practice, I decided my 60th street forks (and all long wooden forks) work the best with my french twist, inserted from the top, weaving to catch some scalp hair along the seam. I have learned to make the french twist slightly loose to accomodate the fork, otherwise it's tight and it hurts. Of course I don't get the correct looseness every time I make the french twist ....on some days, I'm forced to use another toy ....but when it works, it feels wonderful, looks great, and never needs adjustment all day long.

I use a short wooden fork with the figure 8, infinity and inside out bun.

2 bent knitting needles will securely hold almost every bun (but not my french twist). In fact I sleep every night on a bun held with 2 bent knitting needles in size 0, and they have never moved from where I place them. I'll never again use scrunchies or sticks or anything else to hold my sleep bun.

Rae~
April 2nd, 2008, 06:16 PM
Deborah - I love the starlight forks, and find them to work extremely well. I've never tried bending knitting needles, as I've never found any that weren't some horrible lurid shade of fuscia or teal.

ladiosaRosa
April 2nd, 2008, 07:24 PM
I have a 2-prong made by Dale Randal (sp?); some might call it a hair 'pin' as the prong spacing is rather close .......the whole piece being narrow. My hair is fine. The fork is comfortable in my updo's.

When trying to achieve 'looser' buns it's important that the length of hair not be coiled too tightly as well as the construction of the bun itself...not be too tight. Only makes for pain.

eadwine
April 3rd, 2008, 11:08 AM
The bent knitting needles should be purchasable at different lengths. You might want to check online. I bought them that way (at a Dutch store).