PDA

View Full Version : For those who live in up-dos, how often do you let it free?

Botticelli Gold
February 10th, 2009, 05:56 PM
And vice versa if your so inclined, how often do you put it up if you usually wear it down?

I probably tend to be 50/50 with my hair. Its down alot but I often put it in a bun or ponytail several times a day if I need to keep it out of my face, then pull it out again.

Im sooo hair fickle lol :D

AutumnSky
February 10th, 2009, 06:01 PM
My preference is to have id down.... but it's tenacious and grabby, so I mostly keep it up.

Generally, I'll wear it down on wash day (post wash), and for occasions (parties, clubs, etc.)
If it's nice, I like to take it down when DBF gets home from work...he prefers it down, and without sticks that poke. ;-p

If I'm just hanging around the house, (which is most of the time lately) It's up.

BlndeInDisguise
February 10th, 2009, 06:01 PM
My hair is only down when I wash it, and it's drying. Sometimes I'll take it down and braid it at night.

WritingPrincess
February 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM
My hair is loose at most once a month, usually for no more than a few hours. It gets in the way, (in summer) makes me hot, and (in winter) tangles on my sweater.

viking_quest
February 10th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I only like my hair down when it's drying or it's wash day. It looks better down on those days than on days when I don't wash.

AJoifulNoise
February 10th, 2009, 06:08 PM
I wear my hair down an hour or so before bed and while sleeping. Other than that I almost never wear it all the way down. From time to time I wear it half up or down with a bandanna.

It used to be a struggle to wear it up all the time. Now the struggle is to wear it down. I don't like my hair around my face. I don't feel ready for my day unless my hair is tucked away.

freznow
February 10th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Pretty much only when combing/washing it or when the beau wants it down. I never wear it out down except on extremely rare occasions (like once a year).

lora410
February 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Let me first say wow..your hair is gorgeous!!!! As for hair it's up 99% of the time. I leave it down usually on weekends and at night.

spidermom
February 10th, 2009, 06:15 PM
Mine is down when I have time to pay attention to it. When I'm sitting at the computer, for example, it is often divided into 2 sections, 1 section in front of each shoulder. If I'm busy/moving around a lot, it's up.

Xandergrammy
February 10th, 2009, 06:16 PM
I usually only wear it down on wash days(2 x a week). Then up it goes. When I get home from work, I put it in a side braid for lounging/sleeping.

Coriander
February 10th, 2009, 06:20 PM
I used to wear it down a lot. Now I'm finding that if I have it down I end up with splits and breakage.

So, in the last month or so it's mainly been up in buns or braids. I had it in a ponytail a few weeks ago and ended up with a headache :laugh:

Botticelli Gold
February 10th, 2009, 06:30 PM
Gee, that was quick! Wow, you guys have proven that I really AM hair fickle! I am honestly constantly putting it up and taking it down. I pretty much NEVER have it one way for the whole day, well very rarely anyway.

lora410, Thankyou so much! :D

cobblersmaid
February 10th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Well I mostly wear it in a braid, as I am prone to tension headaches. I will sometimes wear it in a bun, but I can only manage it for a few ours. I almost never wear it down, except when it is drying. Rarely, in the spring and fall, I will have it down for a bit if I am at a bar or something like that, but I cannot eat with it down, so it usually gets put up again anyway.

DarthCynthia
February 10th, 2009, 06:36 PM
My hair is only down when I'm sleeping (draped over the side of the bed), and for very rare occasions when I do wear it down when I'm out. At mid-calf length, it just is too potentially painful for me to leave it down. That said, although hubby would love to see it down more often, he knows that at *any* length, I would still be trying to find ways to pull it back or put it up. I've had long hair most of my life and only since finding LHC have I figured out how to put my hair up in a bun. Had I known how to do them sooner, I'd have been using them constantly. Just more convenient and nice to have my hair up and out of the way. :)

SimplyLonghair
February 10th, 2009, 06:42 PM
At home I try to keep it down, unless I am working on the house. At work I have to keep it up and under a scarf and so I love the feel of it down around me. I can relate to putting up and down, it I am working on something, it will go up and then I take it down when through so I can relate to the up down thing. I like wearing it down for me, I mean it is one of the reasons that I love long hair, is the feel that it give me as it brushes around me. A very comforting feel.:cool: It makes me feel very special, like I am being hugged. :shrug: That is just me though.:rolleyes:

Speedbump
February 10th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Well, if you are talking about *public* let it down days, almost never. Maybe seven days a year? And I am including hair meet days in that. Otherwise, it's a braid or a ficcare for me. While I like my hair down in terms of how it looks, I notice every little thing that can and does damage it while it is down. That and it gets in *everything*. :lol:

rapunzhell13
February 10th, 2009, 07:11 PM
I used to have my hair up 24/7 and people would constantly ask me why I never wore it down. :rolleyes: Nowadays I'm the complete opposite, I really struggle to leave it alone when it's up. I think it's because I went so many years with short hair that I'm out of practice. My short hair was just tousle and go.

sahiba
February 10th, 2009, 07:24 PM
Only during the day it is in an updo , at night my hair is braided.

ajr
February 10th, 2009, 07:41 PM
I have hair that's below tailbone right now and I still wear it down fairly frequently. At work it's always up but when I'm home and lounging it's down. If I'm out in public and it's not windy then I'll wear it down fairly often. And always when I'm dressed up and out with friends. Truthfully I like showing it off, and I deliberately keep it just above the point where I'd have to worry about sitting on the ends.

SpecialKitty
February 10th, 2009, 07:43 PM
This is a great thread - very helpful! Right now I'm wearing my hair up most of the time, but that is after many years of fighting the updo! I now realize that with my hairtype and my hobbies (which include many things that could damage my hair if worn down), it is really best for me to wear my hair up if I want it to continue to grow longer.

Alia
February 10th, 2009, 07:47 PM
It's only down to be washed and dried...and for DH:blushing:. Otherwise, it just drives me crazy, blowing about, knotting up, or sticking to my lip balm.

Elphie
February 10th, 2009, 07:51 PM
I can't say I always have it up, but it is secured in some way (braids, flipped pony tail, etc) about 95% of the time. I usually let it down in the evening for an hour or so before putting it up for bed just to give my head a break.

nimeera
February 10th, 2009, 07:54 PM
I wear my hear up always during the day. At night, I braid it in a single braid just before bed. I wear it loose only when performing. It is even up right before and after the performance! I find that if I wear it loose during the day, it gets damaged. In fact, lately the ends seem to get damaged if I wear down it in a braid during the day.

I must be doing something right. My primary length is down to classic, and I have a secondary length all over my head that is suddenly growing in for no apparent reason and is now about 5 inches long. When I wake up, I look like I have a messy halo of bedhead even though my primary length is still nicely braided. :rolleyes:

My hair is getting thicker, whoopie! I think it started right about when I joined here. :cheer:

Botticelli Gold
February 10th, 2009, 08:05 PM
it just drives me crazy, sticking to my lip balm.

Lol! I soooo know what you mean! :D

rose_in_bloom
February 10th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I let my hair down MAYBE once a week at the most...but usually it's up 100% of the time. My hair is very scraggly and gets tangled and stringy if I let it down.

SHELIAANN1969
February 10th, 2009, 09:05 PM
From 7am-6pm, my hair is in a bun for work purposes. After that, it's either ponied in a scrunchie or free flowing.

Jeni
February 10th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I use to wear my hair down more often but lately (past few months) I've been wearing it up pretty much anytime it isn't down drying. I think I look better with it down but even at the relatively short length of BSL (~26/27") it gets annoying down. If I am going "out" and want to look cute I will usually leave it down, providing it isn't super hot or windy.

I sleep with it braided.

Masara
February 10th, 2009, 10:53 PM
When I'm out of the house, it's always up. I usually take it out in the evening when I've finished work, but as soon as I need to do something around the house, I put it back up.

Calanthe
February 10th, 2009, 11:04 PM
Rarely. And if, then only around the house and only for maybe an hour or so.

LittleOrca
February 10th, 2009, 11:07 PM
I keep my hair up now almost all the time simply because I want to be able to have nicer looking hair when I am doing something special, like birthdays or other things of the like. I do leave it down when I am letting it dry or when I have a headache. I prefer it down, but [especially after seeing mother's hair that used to be as long as mine] I know that keeping it up is like a sword and shield for my fairytale hair.

Gumball
February 10th, 2009, 11:14 PM
I leave it free in between putting it up again. That's during my "comb out" part of the restyling. If I actually leave it free to to flow around that's a very, very rare moment and I usually pay for that when I comb it out to put it up again. Hehe.

SimplyLonghair
February 10th, 2009, 11:22 PM
I leave it free in between putting it up again. That's during my "comb out" part of the restyling. If I actually leave it free to to flow around that's a very, very rare moment and I usually pay for that when I comb it out to put it up again. Hehe.
I can understand that, the longer and the curlier that it gets the more mine tangles:rolleyes: But oh it's worth it! :silly:

Bene
February 11th, 2009, 12:03 AM
my hair only comes down, off and on, for a few minutes while it's drying

Nightshade
February 11th, 2009, 07:03 AM
My hair is up all week at work and most times on the weekend as I don't care to get it caught in my band saw or Dremel. :p

Usually on the weekends when I go shopping I'll let it down, though.

Stevy
February 11th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Once or twice a month, and only if I'm at home or hanging out at a friend's house. The rest of the time it's up. I like to think that by wandering about with a bun or a braid and a smile I'm doing my bit to open the minds of the 'But whyyyyyyyyyyyy have long hair if it's never down?' crew.

Johanna64
February 11th, 2009, 07:20 AM
My hair is up most of the times.(about 98%)
Some evenings I let it free.

cindy58
February 11th, 2009, 07:26 AM
It's usually bunned when I'm busy to keep it safe and out of the way. Sleep with it loose. I also wear it in a half up with a pretty barrette maybe 2-3 days a week. Occasionally during a bunned day I let it loose if I feel it pulling.

Last weekend I wore it in a pony tail fastened with a large barrette at the nape for a marathon baking session with nieces (260+ decorated Valentine cookies -- pretty!). Won't do that again -- I had some icky snarls to comb out after that.

chloeishere
February 11th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I wear it up a lot-- I always wear it up at work. I have to wear safety glasses, and they WRECK my hair completely, even if I only leave it down for a minute or two. Plus, my hair is very slippery and swingy, and it constantly gets in my face if I leave it down.

I normally let it down if I go to my boyfriend's house, but it goes right back up if we go out to eat or something like that! Some evenings when I go home (from work), I keep it up, but most of the time I let it down, and put it back up later. I keep it up if I'm being active at all, but if I'm sitting around on LHC or reading, or whatever, I will let it down.

I sleep with my hair bunned on the top of my head, unless my hair is freshly washed and still wet-- I wash my hair every other to every third day, so I wear it up to sleep about every other night. I don't care for having wet hair all the time, so I leave it down so it will dry. That might change as the weather gets warmer, though!

rhubarbarin
February 11th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Mine is down when it a) looks nice and b) it's not in the way. So, mostly it's up, although I prefer immensely to have it down and looking great.

Lately, not that often! It only looks presentable wash day, and sometimes the day after, and I've been lazy about washing this winter.

sneakybea
February 11th, 2009, 08:04 AM
I love to wear my hair down on those days it has a lot of volume and waves. I did it yesterday, for example, partly because it was warm enough that I thought static wouldn't be a problem. It wasn't, but what with my backpack, scarf, and hat, tangles sure were! So it will be awhile before I try that again!
I wear it up most of the time, but I do know a few styles that show off the waves anyhow---like my ponytail bun.

Islandgrrl
February 11th, 2009, 08:13 AM
I'd say it's up 99.9% of the time. I wear it up every day. The only time I take it down is to braid it or re-bun it for sleep, to brush it out in the morning and put it back up, and to wash it. Even after washing, it goes back up as soon as it comes out of the towel & gets detangled.

I'd love to wear it down, but 2 things stop me. I'm almost halfway through my challenge to wear my hair up for 1000 days. And I'm afraid of how horrendously tangled it will get if I do wear it down for the day!

going gray
February 11th, 2009, 08:24 AM
My hair is up all day all the time, sometimes late in the evening I take it down, before bedtime.

Periwinkle
February 11th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Never. Down to comb and that's it. I sometimes leave it out while I'm getting dressed, but that's normally to let static go down and also because my hair doesn't like being taken out of a braid and rebraided immediately. Never down for more than five minutes - it gets even my way even when I take it down to re-do my style.

The one exception is washing, as if I wash on a school day (not a weekend, when it has all day to dry) I have to leave it down so it'll be mostly dry before I go to bed.

akka naeda
February 11th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Only in the spring or autumn, as long as it's not too cold, too hot, too wet or too windy:). I can't wear my hair 100% loose because it falls over my face, so I always have to have the sides tied back. It depends what I'm doing also, obviously. So perhaps 5 days a year max? I also do a swirly bun with the tail loose, not wrapped which is sort of like having my hair loose but chopped to waist length and thinner but as I found last summer it's very bad for the ends. I'm not sure if I'll be wearing my hair like that a lot this year.

LaurelSpring
February 11th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Mine is up most of the time now. When I get home I put it in a braid or pigtails to sleep in. The only time its down now is if I am going out on a date or for those *special* moments. That may stop when it gets longer but its doable now.

JamieLeigh
February 11th, 2009, 09:32 AM
Most of the time, mine is up. I have 5 little kids, so it really gets in the way when I'm doing everyday housewife-SAHM stuff. Especially in the winter time, I'm keeping it up more, to reduce the amount of cold-temp damage, but when it gets warmer and I'm out of the house, I'll probably wear it down or braided.

So I guess, in the wintertime, it's up 90% of the time...summertime, maybe 60%. :)

mira-chan
February 11th, 2009, 09:36 AM
Rarely. I will leave it down till it's partially dry then braid it. Maybe less than an hour in the evening sometimes. Once or twice a year I'll venture outside with it down but never the whole day, it starts annoying me and up in a bun or braid it goes.

Botticelli Gold
February 11th, 2009, 01:33 PM
Thanks for all your replies. :)
Its fascinating hearing how everyone does their hair. I DO find it funny that there are so many people with long hair that never wear it down though, but then if it was short we couldnt do all these lovely up-dos.

Amara
February 11th, 2009, 02:29 PM
Once a week or so - usually. Just for fun.
I intentially wear it down when I am performing dance, or when I go out for a special occasion.

jel
February 11th, 2009, 02:37 PM
I wear my hair braided most of the time for work and every night for sleeping. Sundays I start with it down but find I need to put it up in the afternoon - same goes for the rare occasions (maybe once a month) I wear it down for work. Really, I hardly wear buns any more - possibly because lately I haven't been able to fix them securely and comfortably enough.

So, percentage-wise:

braids: 75%
loose: 20%
buns: 5%

eresh
February 11th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Mine is up during the week, unless someone asks if I can wear it down one day because they are curious, then I do a braid or rope.
(it happens ;-) )

On weekends, if I go out to a club it's down, or the toplayer half-ponied with a minibarrette and the rest down.

Teazel
February 11th, 2009, 02:52 PM
It's down while it's drying, though I've been damp-bunning a lot lately so really only leave it down until it's half dry.

Sometimes I've worn it loose because DH likes it, but now that my hair is creeping towards mid-thigh he thinks it's a bit freaky, so I don't let him see it down much anymore. :p

ETA: I tend to change the updo at some part of the day. I'll let it down if it starts to pull or feel heavy, give my scalp a quick massage, then put it up a different way. But I'm trying to leave it alone now (I find a braided bun is best for all-day wear) to reduce damage.

Dreamernz
February 11th, 2009, 02:59 PM
Gee, that was quick! Wow, you guys have proven that I really AM hair fickle! I am honestly constantly putting it up and taking it down. I pretty much NEVER have it one way for the whole day, well very rarely anyway.

lora410, Thankyou so much! :D

I agree with you in that I leave my hair down usually, I can go days like that lol, but usually several times I may put it up to get it out of my way then down again, or in a loose bun pre washing it when its greasy, then again my hair's too short to do much with it yet anyway :D, also I agree Botticelli Gold on how amazing your hair is, what a lovely colour and curl, your screen name suits your hair perfectly :D:D:D

Wanderlust
February 11th, 2009, 03:28 PM
I almost always wear my hair up, but I don't know if you could consider it an 'up-do.' It's just where you start like you're doing a ponytail, and then don't pull your hair all the way through. Simplest hairstyle ever, and it STAYS!

So...98% of the time my hair is in the most boring style I could possibly put it in, lol. I'll wear my hair down when I'm going out somewhere special, or if my boyfriend wants me to have my hair down, but other than that, I feel weird wearing my hair down because it's so thick. I feel like my head is being taken over by hair.

Botticelli Gold
February 11th, 2009, 04:23 PM
I agree with you in that I leave my hair down usually, I can go days like that lol, but usually several times I may put it up to get it out of my way then down again, or in a loose bun pre washing it when its greasy, then again my hair's too short to do much with it yet anyway :D, also I agree Botticelli Gold on how amazing your hair is, what a lovely colour and curl, your screen name suits your hair perfectly :D:D:D

Thankyou so much :D What a sweetheart!

getoffmyskittle
February 11th, 2009, 04:29 PM
I usually leave it down long enough to dry. Then it is up the rest of the time. I try wearing it down occasionally, but it is very clingy and just... goes everywhere. I sort of want to wear it down more than that (like maybe once a week?) but it is a HUGE hassle, much more so than when it was hip or tailbone. Oh well...

ETA: I actually wore it in a ponytail last Friday, though! And got compliments. :D That's not all the way down, but it kinda shows off the length without leaving my hair free to float around and get into anything and everything within a 2-foot radius. It's sort of like having a grabby baby attached to my scalp. :rolleyes:

HairColoredHair
February 11th, 2009, 04:54 PM
It's up... 80-95 % of the time, I'd figure. I only have it down while drying, sometimes after work, and if I cannot keep it up.

UP Lisa
February 12th, 2009, 12:18 PM
Generally just after I wash it while it is drying. It tangles too easily to have it down. Also, it gets in the way.

Denebi
February 12th, 2009, 12:43 PM
I'm a very draconic jailer :D

I let my hair free only for drying after washing (a bit, maybe half an hour) and sometimes at home in the evening.

And on very rare occasions I show flittering hair outside my home. But then always with a hairtoy in my handbag to tame it after few hours.

paintedmuse
February 12th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I love my hair down. :) (and I like to show it off too ;))
I usually have it down the first and second day after a wash, then on the third (wash day) it's up, just because it won't look good anymore when down. But sometimes there isn't even a third day :D
And if my hair just looks strange for whatever reason, I put it up too.
So I'd say its down about 60-70% of the time :)

heidi w.
February 12th, 2009, 03:10 PM
I let my hair loose every evening, and often enough, while sleeping for the night. It's important to release the stress of weight and any tension, to help relax the scalp skin -- that is more specifically, the capillaries all about the scalp skin just under the surface of the scalp skin.

One of the known reasons some long haired folks get headaches from "heavy hair" is the weight pulls on the roots which in turn stress the capillaries and they swell a bit in response.

I also have it loose, usually, when air drying.

heidi w.

Melisande
February 13th, 2009, 04:04 AM
My hair is up most of the time. In the morning and evening, after combing and misting, I wait a bit until I bun or braid it. And I let it airdry about 50% before I bun it.

A loose side braid at night or my new pretty wrap don't restrict my hair badly, and it's not heavy. Weird enough, I found that headaches pass when I oil my scalp.:confused:

I try to keep my buns on the loose side, too. I used to hate wearing my hair up, but now it really feels best and very natural. I don't remember when I wore my hair open in public for th elast time :)

Cerenia
February 13th, 2009, 04:20 AM
Especially in the winter I wear my hair up very often, because you have the coat, the scarf etc. where you have to pull your hair out again. With an up-do you just put on all the clothes and have no problems.

But sometimes I also like to open my hair. Then I have it like that for some time and put it up again when my hair is getting me on the nerves ^^

Or I braid it. That's the middle thing between having it open and up. Not so nice practical like up, but also not as problematic as open.

For drying I let the hair open as well.

Monchhichi
February 13th, 2009, 08:42 AM
In summer I wear my hair loose (10% of the time), ponytail (20%), braids and up-dos (35% each). In winter it's nearly 100% up-dos, as both the collar of my coat and the scarf tend to tear part of the hair out of the braid or ponytail.

Picknickerin
February 13th, 2009, 10:41 AM
I let it free only to dry. It bothers me when I am with open hair and bow to my children or play with them.
I really love the feeling of open hair! But then I am constantly with the fingers inside, my poor hair.. :D

Nevermore
February 14th, 2009, 12:55 AM
My hair is up 99% of the time and always braided or segmented ponytailed at night. While some people think that's bad news for the scalp, I don't agree. It's bad news for my scalp when I lay on my hair and yank it so hard my head, neck and shoulder hurts the next day, which is the inevitable result of sleeping with it loose.

I do sometimes wear ponytails, generally for an hour or two before washing, say to go out for dinner, but once it's washed, it goes right back up again. I've worn it totally down in public probably less than 15 times in the past year. I sometimes leave it down for half an hour to dry after washing or obviously, to blow dry. Other than that, a bun it is.

It's hard to do basic things without having my hair contained somehow-bending over to tie shoes or pick something off the floor becomes a million times more complicated and sitting in a chair in a restaurant sometimes results in getting hair trapped between the back and a nearby wall.

maria_asa
February 14th, 2009, 02:37 AM
My hair is only down when drying after washing (and not always then either). Hair down equals instant tangles and split ends for me.

HotRag
February 14th, 2009, 03:51 AM
I have it loose when combing at night, and when air drying.

To relax scalp, as heidi w wrote about, I have an English braid, often protected in a sock. This I also have for the night. I can feel very well if something is pulling, I feel it directly in my scalp, and get headache after a while. Migrain headache can burst out from this.

Braided styles seams to spread the weight better than other buns.

When hanging loose, I'm having problems to do stuff - cleaning, doing shores, walk the dog, train the dog, doing anything but "sit still" or "walk straight without bending".
My hair likes to fall in front of my face and disturb my thoughts.

Jessikinz
February 15th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I only let it down for wash days and when I need to comb my hair. Basically I do what most of the others have already said. Sometimes when I'm home and not doing much I leave it down for about half hour or more. I don't feel right if it's left down.

Carolyn
February 15th, 2009, 05:16 PM
I don't wear it down when I'm out of the house very often. I try to but I almost always end up putting it up in Ficcare or bee butt bun with a scrunchie. It's very windy where I live and that makes it almost impossible to go anywhere with it down. I'd love to wear it down more but I just can't. If I'm home and sitting at my computer or knitting I like to have it down because it's more comfortable and I just plain like it. If I'm doing housework or cooking, I have it up in a bun or with a claw clip.

Eryka
February 15th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Generally I only have mine down for washing, drying and scalp massages. However, if the occasion is special enough, I will wear it down and loose in public. Has to be a whopper of an occasion though.

Otherwise I just redo my braid every morning and then put the braid up with hairsticks. That way when I go to bed I just take it down and its already braided.

LadyLongLocks
February 15th, 2009, 05:24 PM
I leave it down after I wash and dry it and I am around the house. I wear a bun 95% of the time and hardly wear it down in public, maybe 5 times a year. I wear it loose when I sleep, I figure it gives the scalp a rest too. Buns and sleep don't work for me.
My hair is knee length.

KnightsLady
February 16th, 2009, 04:26 AM
After washing I leave it down to dry. It's been up more often since I've had a BF around and have discovered the wrap bun. I used to sleep with it loose and wander around at home with it loose, but it gets braided for sleep now for safety reasons. :o It's pretty much always up for work if it's dry. I don't want to have to worry about it while working, as I generally have enough to think about. The longer my hair gets, the more I want to keep it a personal thing. I don't want to have to flash it around lose just to keep other people happy.

Su
February 16th, 2009, 04:41 AM
I love my hair down, but to take care of it, I weare it in a bun or braid most of the time. But when I go out, dancing or having a nice day with my boyfriend I wear it down.
He loves that most...:)

flaming bunny
February 16th, 2009, 05:32 AM
At mid-thigh, my hair is only down when I'm washing it and leaving it to dry....even then I quite often bun my hair after a full wash and loosely braid it when I've scalp-washed. I can only recall wearing my hair down in public once last year, and I only remember it because some idiots yelled "get a haircut" from their car as they passed me *grumble*. That experience hasn't affected how often I wear my hair down though, since I decided to really start looking after my hair, wearing it up has just become part of my routine. I get up, get washed, get dressed, do my makeup and then put up my hair :) If my hair is freshly washed, I'll wear it in a down style i.e. a braid. That braid will also be to the side (in front of my shoulder) so I can enjoy the length of my hair (and, if I'm honest, to show it off a little :o ).

Wow, I'm rambling. To sum up...I never wear it down! :eyebrows:

Charli800
February 16th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I wear it down on weekends, sometimes, if I'm going out and I think it looks nicer down. Not every weekend, though. So it's down maybe twice a month.

embee
February 16th, 2009, 09:47 AM
My hair is loose/down when I am combing it in the morning prior to making my updo for the day, it's loose in the evening when I'm fixing my bedtime topknot, and it's loose when I'm air-drying it after a shampoo. Other than that it's up. That was my goal and I'm there. :)

Anje
February 16th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Despite what my coworkers might suspect, I don't quite live in updos. I have my hair in an updo (or sometimes a braid) every day, but I tend to let it down in the evening, perhaps loosely braiding it. I leave it loose most of the time for drying, and I sleep with it wrapped around my hand and shoved into a sleep cap. Occasionally I'll let it down for a few hours if I'm out with friends on a weekend.

It's very rare for me to go a full day without so much as braiding my hair. It's been at least a few years since I've done that, I suspect.

ETA: Letting my hair down in the evening is almost a ritual for me. I think it symbolizes being done with work for the day, or something like that. It's time for me and my hair to relax.

Miss Murphy
February 16th, 2009, 10:27 AM
Mine is always up :-)

The "losest" way I wear it is sometimes a very high ponytail - but that happens about 2 times a year. All other times it's at least in a french braid, in which I also sleep in.

The only time I wear my hear down is when it's drying.

Lady Godiva
February 16th, 2009, 02:20 PM
Wear it down? What's that? :wink:

1) Oh, you mean take it down to detangle right before putting it back up? Or in order to scalp-wash, then detangle and put it back up?

I do these a few times each week. My hair's down for about half an hour to an hour.

2) Or do you mean to drop my updo upon entering someplace, wear my hair down while I'm there, but put it back up when I'm leaving?

This I have done a few times over the past several years.

3) To actually wear it down somewhere? Like leave the house with it down, drive someplace, walk in with it down, stay a while, leave, come home, and then detangle?

Haven't done that for at least five or six years.

Rosa.Damascena
February 16th, 2009, 04:41 PM
At night mostly, but I tend more and more to put it in a braid since it hit waist. Freshly hennaed I wear it for a few days in open hairstyles, but after that it's mostly up then. I let it down when I come home from work, as I often wear complicated hairstyles and my hair is happy to get loose after the day. But it soon ends up in a comfy napebun again.

So - mostly I live in updos I guess :D

Eden Iris
February 16th, 2009, 04:45 PM
The more I wear it up, the less I like it down. It tangles, looks messy, gets in the way.... I take it down in the evenings for a few hours before putting it in a banded tail/bun/braid for bed, and I leave it down to dry on wash day. I keep thinking I'll wear it down the next time the husband and I go out for a swanky night on the town, but I may be a senior citizen before that happens.

joyful373
February 16th, 2009, 04:51 PM
I wear my hair down only for special occasions- (and really especially for my dh :) ) Otherwise it is in a bun with a hairstick or ficcare, or in a braid of some sort. It tangles so quickly when it is down that I really have to be careful.

HotRag
February 16th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Is plain English braid an updo or "down"?

I use to bun of fold and flip my braid, but it also hangs down with "covering" (I find nicer and nicer covering).

MadPirateBippy
February 18th, 2009, 11:21 AM
I only let it down when I am feeling too lazy to put it up.

vbear
February 18th, 2009, 02:37 PM
My hair is typically only down when I wash. As soon as I comb out...back it goes. Helps on tangling and keeps it out of the way.

Botticelli Gold
May 18th, 2009, 06:50 PM
Wear it down? What's that? :wink:

1) Oh, you mean take it down to detangle right before putting it back up? Or in order to scalp-wash, then detangle and put it back up?

I do these a few times each week. My hair's down for about half an hour to an hour.

2) Or do you mean to drop my updo upon entering someplace, wear my hair down while I'm there, but put it back up when I'm leaving?

This I have done a few times over the past several years.

3) To actually wear it down somewhere? Like leave the house with it down, drive someplace, walk in with it down, stay a while, leave, come home, and then detangle?

Haven't done that for at least five or six years.

Lol! Classic!

EvaSimone
May 18th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I frequently fidget with my updos. I hate when my updos look fuzzy or anything so I will redo them three or four times in a 12 hour shift at work.

I would say outside of work my hair is up about 70% of the time and inside of work it's up about 95% of the time. I always sleep with it braided because I roll on it and it massively tangles while I sleep.

I like to wear my hair down but I always have something ready to clip it up with because it gets really annoying and I hate pulling my own hair.

Ella Menneau P.
May 18th, 2009, 07:30 PM
My hair is almost always up. I'll let it down in the evening for an hour or two, but I hate how tangled it gets, so i put it back up again. And I hate it tickling my face, too!

Oberon88
May 18th, 2009, 07:38 PM
I used to wear it down ALL the time. Now it's up most days. Probably 5 out of seven days it's up for most of the day, and then I'll wear it down all day a couple times a week. If I'm active or working, it's up however.