PDA

View Full Version : Kool Aid ?

serious
February 10th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I just saw this:http://www.wikihow.com/Dye-Hair-With-Kool-Aid

I never heard of Kool Aid, I can see it is some kind of artificial drink.
What do you think of dying hair with something like this?
I m just curious.:)

twilight
February 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
it's basically like food coloring--straight, government-issue coloring ingredients. it's a direct dye (a "stain") so there is really no way to remove it once you do it. except probably bleach, or dyeing over it with something darker.

lots of people use it as a permanent dye on wool yarns also; it withstands any number of washings.

it's big with the teenagers in the US because it's cheap and easy to get--you can dye your dog purple while your parents aren't watching and no one the wiser :). kids with green hair were often kool-aid heads before the advent of crazy colored hair dyes!

Rohele
February 10th, 2009, 12:21 PM
I just saw this:http://www.wikihow.com/Dye-Hair-With-Kool-Aid

I never heard of Kool Aid, I can see it is some kind of artificial drink.
What do you think of dying hair with something like this?
I m just curious.:)

My sister did this once - at the time it was a cheap way to dye your hair a unnatural colour (ie blue). It can stain lighter coloured hair in a fairly permanent fashion (my sister is blond and found the colour lingered for a long time).

strwbrry dakri
February 10th, 2009, 12:24 PM
*Hijack*

Twilight - Is that your natural color? Beautiful!

~GypsyCurls~
February 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM
I used the black cherry kind once, to try to refresh my red dye but only saw a little difference that only lasted a couple washes. I think it works better on lighter hair, i.e. medium brown to blonde.

twilight
February 10th, 2009, 12:27 PM
*Hijack*

Twilight - Is that your natural color? Beautiful!

PMed you :)

SimplyLonghair
February 10th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Yes Kool-Aid is a kids drink that has been around since the 40's or 50's. It stains. As any mom knows!:rolleyes: Getting the stain out is nearly impossible, so if you want to do your hair make sure that you love it before you apply it!

Shorty89
February 10th, 2009, 12:42 PM
I used it on my hair a while back. I used the tropical to dye a bit of my hair red. It faded but didn't entirely wash out. I did notice that it dried my hair out a touch, but other than that no issues.

strwbrry dakri
February 10th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I can't do PM s yet. I'd better post more!

LawyerGirl
February 10th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I used this as a kid and it didn't dye my hair (too dark) but DID dye my scalp!

twilight
February 10th, 2009, 01:20 PM
I can't do PM s yet. I'd better post more!

check your user CP and see if you see my message :)

Carolyn
February 10th, 2009, 01:21 PM
My son and all his friends dyed with Kool Aid. It was the in thing to do. I don't see it as much anymore. I see it as harmless. And yes Kool Aid really can stain clothes.

ole gray mare
February 10th, 2009, 01:30 PM
:justy: :justy: :justy:

I have (rather had) silver hair until I put lemon koolaid in it. (Long story!) It has been pretty impossible to remove, even with honey treatments. I refer to it as The Great Kool-Aid Debacle of 2009.

serious
February 10th, 2009, 01:37 PM
Thank you all for your responses!
When I was 15 years old I used indian ink to dye some streaks, it wasn t as permanent as Kool Aid seems to be. Fortunately! :)

Silver & Gold
February 10th, 2009, 01:40 PM

I have (rather had) silver hair until I put lemon koolaid in it. (Long story!) It has been pretty impossible to remove, even with honey treatments. I refer to it as The Great Kool-Aid Debacle of 2009.

OHHHHH! Say it ain't so! I look at your hair in your avatar and dream of having hair like this one day. I'm so sorry to hear that and yet . . . there is this morbid curiosity . . . I mean, this has 'good story' written all over it.

atlantaz3
February 10th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I wouldn't quite say I had a mean brother - but I ended up with Kool Aid and jello powder in my hair on various occasions. Neither comes out of very light (almost white) hair. As a child of the 60's purple hair hadn't quite come into vogue.
Reason for edit - Cherry Jello can stain very red - but I don't recommend it.

erbe
February 10th, 2009, 01:45 PM
We did this all the time as teens. It does come out. In fact my friend went swimming with it, and it was dripping down her back like something fierce (she has lovely blond hair). I have brown hair, and it never really showed up all that well, the blues and purples tend to come out gray. If you put it on cold, it doesn't hold very well. If you put it on hot, it will stay a little better. We never had problems with it coming out, that it why we did it, because it wasn't permanent.

atlantaz3
February 10th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Maybe the times I got powders was when they were still using red dye what ever number it was :)

inspiral
February 10th, 2009, 04:37 PM
i put koolaid in my hair as a kid as well, and my hair was much blonder then, and it always came out without leaving any stain, it would only stay for a few washes. i would not recommend it, unless you are 10 and you want a cheap thrill.... hehe.
i dont think it looks good, weird fake faded color!

Jeni
February 10th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I have also used kool-aid to dye my hair in the past, it always came out of my hair just fine and my hair was chemically dyed light blond. Wasnt a fan of the smell of it in my hair though.

For me regular liquid food coloring always worked better, much more dramatic color! The only issue with either was that if ANY water hit the dyed hair it would immediately start to drip color everywhere. I got caught outside in the rain once and ended up with a rather interesting "tie dyed" looking shirt. Oddly enough while it was far from permanent in my hair it never budged from that shirt.

I miss the days when I could dye my hair blue, green, purple and red. :( Somewhere my mother has a great picture of me with my hair in tiny braids dyed to match the color of skittles.

Kirin
February 10th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Interesting. The idea that kool aid doesnt wash out, is actually strange to me. Its food grade based color, and even food coloring comes out of hair quite readily, usually in 4-6 shampoos. Thats really weird.

We used kool aid all the time in the 80's, it never lasted longer than two days.

Drynwhyl
February 11th, 2009, 09:58 AM
Believe me, I don't know what they put in it, but it can't be good for you.
Here we have something very similar to Kool-aid. Once my cat (:D) accidenaly spilled a lot of it on a light synthetic carpet. We tried everything, even bleach. It bleached the colour off the carpet, but the red juice color STAYED. We never purchased another package again :D
So, I think it's pretty permanent.

Anje
February 11th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Tried it once on my little brother (he asked for it!). I used blue Kool-aid on his light-to-medium brown hair. He ended up with grayish hair and a blue scalp for a while.

Jeni
February 11th, 2009, 07:58 PM
Tried it once on my little brother (he asked for it!). I used blue Kool-aid on his light-to-medium brown hair. He ended up with grayish hair and a blue scalp for a while.

When we were in HS I dyed my younger brother's hair blue with manic panic. I was an awesome blue for about 2 or 3 weeks then it started to fade to a pretty pond scum green. He never let me dye his hair again...weeny.

Moiraine
February 11th, 2009, 09:53 PM
I just had a ghastly thought...I imagine all of us here drank Koolaide one time or another as kids. Can you imagine what colours our insides were back then?????

As I have very dark hair no amount of Koolaide would do anything for me but I remember back in the 80's when people said that Jhirmack shampoo and lemon juice would lighten your hair. The girl that told me about it had light hair to start with and she said her hair got lighter. I just wasted my money on expensive shampoo I could ill-afford and a lemon that could have made me some lemonade,lol

suicides_eve
February 12th, 2009, 12:11 PM
LOL we used to dip our tounges just to change them colors back in school

MadPirateBippy
February 23rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
It will fade, the colors don't look good faded. It works best on light colored hair. In my experience (and you can tell from my pic that I love the crazy color) you are better doing braided in extentions with hair from plaastikhaar or something similar for color. The kool aid is cheap but it's a PAIN.

One of those occasions where you get what you pay for. My two cents, as a my-hair-has-literally-been-every-color veteran, is that the quality and PITA factor is directly related to the results you get. From worst to best, here is my opinion:

1. Kool aid- not evil, just annoying ($1.99)
2. Spray in dyes (can get them on sale for $5)
3. Cheap Manic Panic style vegetable dye (don't remember exactly but at my length takes a buch- let's say around $20)
4. High quality custom made synthetic dyes (My colorist had a Master's degree in chemistry- $80 and worth it)
5. Artificial hair- jumbo braid- looks good braided in to one or two accent braids for a pick me up. ($1.99- notice this is about what the kool aid costs but it's a much better result, but takes more time)
6. High quality yaki hair for braided in extensions. ($20 or less)
7. High quality goth synthetic hairpieces- these can be pricey but last forever and are worth it. (Depending on what you are getting, anywhere from $20 to $300- you can get anything you want in a custom synth hairpiece)

RedStripe
February 23rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
I was just reading the "Worst Hair Advice Ever" thread and some posters mention experiences dying hair with KoolAid.

LifeisAdventure
February 23rd, 2009, 06:07 PM

Oh dear!! Only two months into the year and you've already had a new hair debacle? That's my kind of long-hair. ;)

On an on-topic note... yes, Kool-Aid stains your hair and is semi-permanent, but it washes/fades out really gross that I've seen. I had a bunch of friends in middle school who did it and as it slowly faded out it became more and more of a dingy, infected-kind of green... yuck. That may vary on what color you use of course -- they started out with shades of blue and purple. I always stuck with crayola color chemical dyes... I wonder who's hair turned out better? :hmm:

Susana
February 23rd, 2009, 06:55 PM
This sounds like a bad idea :S

Linda K
February 23rd, 2009, 07:10 PM
OHHHHH! Say it ain't so! I look at your hair in your avatar and dream of having hair like this one day. I'm so sorry to hear that and yet . . . there is this morbid curiosity . . . I mean, this has 'good story' written all over it.

I was thinking the exact same thing S&G! :D

ArienEllariel
April 26th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I found this thread after contemplating dying my sister's hair purple. Now I'm not so sure I want to risk it. :/