PDA

View Full Version : Need help figuring out my daughter's hair.

silvergirl
February 10th, 2009, 11:09 AM
This may be a sort of weird request, but I'm a black mommy from Canada and I have two beautiful daughters who happen to be biracial.

My oldest who's 3, has type 2 something hair I believe. Straight on top and middle with slight wave/curl only on the ends. It seems to tangle easily and I'm not sure what I can do to prevent tangles or the easier way for me to detangle her hair.

My hair type is 3c so my routine is washing mostly with conditioner and detangling while wet. This doesnt work to well with her hair. Should I be detangling this hair type while dry? Also what products (shampoo/conditioner) do you recommend for her hair.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/emgurl1234/S5300034-4-1.jpghttp://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f246/emgurl1234/S5300037-1-1-1.jpg

I'm not sure if shes getting tangles from playing and rolling around all day or if this is just a characteristic of this hair type, but any help would be appreciated. :)

twilight
February 10th, 2009, 11:29 AM
what a cutie!! it looks like she has really fine hair--many caucasian little girls have similar hair, with the curls at the ends. i did too.

my mom used to use "no more tears" detangling spray on my hair after a bath to help comb out the snags. she probably doesn't need to actually wash her hair very often since she's young and likely doesn't get sebum buildup, but wetting it and then using a detangling spray is a good idea. many of those sprays can also be used on dry hair.

any shampoo or conditioner should be ok--go for a kid's type with detanglers in it. i know my hair used to knot up like crazy but those products work wonders. i hope that helps!

as far as natural detanglers go, i'm not really sure other than ACV (which i use). the only thing i could suggest to prevent the tangles would be some kind of braids, so the hairs can't rough each other up?

Eden Iris
February 10th, 2009, 12:31 PM
Your extremely cute daughter has hair like mine. The tangling issues never really go away, sadly. Put it up when she'll let you, in pigtails or braids. You can experiment with making your own detangling spray out of diluted conditioner, or do it the lazy way: put a tiny bit of conditioner in your palm, add some water, and smooth it through the length with your fingers.

Denebi
February 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM
Aw, what a cute little girl!

Maybe a bit of oil may help? I'm not that curly, but I sometimes have difficulties getting the comb through my tangled ends. After I've applied a bit of oil, it's no problem any more.

silvergirl
February 10th, 2009, 12:42 PM
what a cutie!! it looks like she has really fine hair--many caucasian little girls have similar hair, with the curls at the ends. i did too.

my mom used to use "no more tears" detangling spray on my hair after a bath to help comb out the snags. she probably doesn't need to actually wash her hair very often since she's young and likely doesn't get sebum buildup, but wetting it and then using a detangling spray is a good idea. many of those sprays can also be used on dry hair.

any shampoo or conditioner should be ok--go for a kid's type with detanglers in it. i know my hair used to knot up like crazy but those products work wonders. i hope that helps!

as far as natural detanglers go, i'm not really sure other than ACV (which i use). the only thing i could suggest to prevent the tangles would be some kind of braids, so the hairs can't rough each other up?

I'll have to be on the lookout for a good detangling spray then. I've been washing her hair everyday like I do mine, and probably just been giving myself extra work. So the water washing and detangling may be easier for some days.

Also I've tried putting her hair in a braid, buns, ponytail she always manages to get her hair in a complete disarray after only 20 minutes. I just let her play now and try and deal with the tangles later. :smile:

Thanks for your response.

silvergirl
February 10th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Your extremely cute daughter has hair like mine. The tangling issues never really go away, sadly. Put it up when she'll let you, in pigtails or braids. You can experiment with making your own detangling spray out of diluted conditioner, or do it the lazy way: put a tiny bit of conditioner in your palm, add some water, and smooth it through the length with your fingers.
Oh no! Ha don't tell me that. :p

I'll try this method as well thanks!

silvergirl
February 10th, 2009, 12:48 PM
Aw, what a cute little girl!

Maybe a bit of oil may help? I'm not that curly, but I sometimes have difficulties getting the comb through my tangled ends. After I've applied a bit of oil, it's no problem any more.
What type of oil do you use?

Denebi
February 10th, 2009, 01:23 PM
I like coconut or camellia. Others like other oils, it depends on the hair a bit. You might give it a try with pure olive oil (but start with little drops, it can get too much quite easily). Put in your palm and then softly go through the hair with your fingers and palm.

I hope, it helps! :)

Amara
February 10th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Detangling really bad tangles: get her hair sopping wet and soak the length in conditioner. If you detangle from the ends up (while sopping with water + condish) it should be pretty easy. I do this, and then towel dry gently and braid immediately (just seperate into three clumps)leave it alone while it's drying, and then detangle again when dry.

HTH!

lora410
February 10th, 2009, 02:45 PM
From a fellow wavy I can tell you once it gets a certain length and un-contained it will tangle.I have to sleep with a sleep cap or braided to avoid tangles I usually do a light oil after every wash and try a co wash for 2 days, wash 1 day, and co for two more days etc routine. I deal with my dd's curl hair an d let me tell you how much fun that is to untangle :rolleyes:

suicides_eve
February 12th, 2009, 01:32 PM
nothing weird about your request

i would suggest braiding hair the best you can at night and not not shampooing all the time once a week or so would be best and use a good condtiner afterwards. i would recommend braids and such instead of leaving it down.. my dd hair is about "bsl" on her and i can't leave it down w/o it getting knotty, so in pretty up do's it gos.. at first she didn't like it but now is is accustom to it and loves the compliments she gets on her hair styles

cocolover
February 12th, 2009, 01:46 PM
My daughter gets horrible tangles. I have very different hair from hers and so it took me awhile to figure out what to do. What we do now is shampoo, rinse, ACV rinse then rinse that out, then get out and blot dry. Then I take a small, nickel-size, blob of conditioner and rub it between my palms. I run this over the bottom half of her hair and then detangle with a seamless comb. This has been a huge help. I leave the conditioner in and it amazingly doesn't weigh down her hair or look greasy (and she is a 1a with f/m hair). Braiding at night is a big help. She always want her hair flowing free during the day though, so it is fight to get her to keep it braided for school. She wants to be a princess with long flowing locks! :D HTH

SimplyLonghair
February 12th, 2009, 01:48 PM
I agree with the conditioner mixed with water, just make sure it doesn't have cones, as they will build up. She is so cute, her hair looks like my oldest dd. When she was young I used the spray leave in, no more tangles and such. It worked like a charm, but then I would braid it in many braids so that it is more likely to stay in place. Kids will roll and play and roughhouse. Keeping it confined makes sense and small sections make it "longer" when you braid so it will work. If that makes sense to you. Trying to put too much hair together and you have more "fall out".
HTH
Goodluck on your sweeties!:D

Themyst
February 12th, 2009, 04:53 PM
My DD8 has waist-length, fine hair (with little ringlets on the ends) that tangles instantly. I get them out by washing (scalp only) then conditioning with Tresemme (with cones). I finger comb it while the conditioner is on. Then I spray the ends with Aussie Hair Insurance and either bun or braid it. She's just started using a satin sleeping cap.

It's so nice to see you taking such an interest in your little girls' hair. :) So many mom's just cut it short so they don't have to deal with it! :(

natt i nord
February 13th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Awwww, she's so cute :)

Maybe try to call her sometimes to you when she takes a break from rolling around and comb her hair quickly. Then it won't tangle too much I think? Do you braid her hair for sleeping? Maybe that's an idea, too.