PDA

View Full Version : Hair Frustrations

Almandine
February 10th, 2009, 11:05 AM
I feel like my hair is resisting everything I do to it. I've gone back to using my old Fructis products because the cone-free Suave stuff smelled sickly and made tangles a literal hell on earth - hairs breaking left and right as I tried to pull it to submission. It seems like all I can do is slick it back, pull it tight, and hope no frizz escapes my ministrations. Loose, it seems limp and sad, and the frizz is mental. This is how it's always been but I'm just tired of it. I would experiment with more product but I'm not honestly sure where to start. I wish it had some more shine, and was smoother, but how do I get there?

Any success stories?

Gothic Lolita
February 10th, 2009, 11:42 AM
I don't have any wave, so I don't know a lot about frizz, my hair luckily isn't prone to it, but have you tried clarifying? Even when you're cone-free, you need to do this once in a while.

Also, many users with a similiar hairtype find oiling helpful.

Maybe you're washing too often? Or you put too much conditioner near your scalp? It also might be possible that shampooing simply isn't a good routine for you. Have you tried conditioner only washes? They seem to work well for almost every hairtype and help with frizz and add a lot of shine.

Don't give up here yet, it takes time to figure out the perfect routine. One failure doen't mean that everyting is pointless.

And, judging by your siggy pic: I think your hair looks really nice and shiny! You have waves like the ones I get from braiding, which I like very much! So, whatever you've been doing to get it this long (I wish I'd be there already!) must've been working for you!

RancheroTheBee
February 10th, 2009, 11:48 AM
Coconut oil really helped for me, as did clarifying. Have you tried sulphate-free shampoos?

spidermom
February 10th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Look around the site for people with hair type similar to yours that you like, then go to their personal profiles and look for routines. I sent you a friend request in case you want to see what I do. My picture albums are public, but my routine is at the beginning of my blog, which is restricted to friends only.

Almandine
February 10th, 2009, 11:58 AM
I didn't actually know putting conditioner on your scalp was bad; I've always done that, so I'll try not doing it and see what happens. I have tried conditioner-only washes and I do find that it helps, although every few days I need to shampoo again. I have a jar of coconut oil but I've only been able to oil twice since I bought it because the lid has become fused shut :( I need a strong person to open it for me. And actually no... I have never tried clarifying. I could probably do with trying it; thank you for the suggestion.

I haven't tried sulphate-free shampoo yet; I'll try to find some at the local health food store since HEB doesn't appear to carry anything like that.

CindyLea1
February 10th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Now, I don't have the waves you do but we are pretty close otherwise. For what it's worth, I use the Garnier fructis junk to clarify once a month. It really strips my hair! I use Tresseme moisture line daily. But I might just be the odd woman out.

Have you scoped out the article here?? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

Or this one on clarifying and what to do about it? http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

That was where I started.

scalawaggirl
February 10th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I agree with starting fresh with a clarifying treatment. Here's a link in the LHC articles that outlines a good method for determining what's up with your hair. It basically says to let your hair air dry to see how it looks without anything on it so you can make a good determination of what it needs. There are recommendations in the article.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

Now, our hair type is somewhat close and I do CO-Clarify/Catnip/CO with no-cone conditioners (VO5) every 2-3 days and a leave-in on damp hair. I also have henna/cassia on my hair and do weekly deep treatments w/the catnip tea or SMT:

Catnip tea: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476

SMT (Snowy's Moisture Treatment): http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128

I also use Fox's Leave-In recipe every time I CO on damp hair: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=4586

SimplyLonghair
February 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I would also check and see if part of the problem isn't that your old shampoo and conditioner changed in some part of the formula and that caused the problem to start. I too would recommend clarifying to start with a clean pallet so that you can find what works now. It also could be seasonal. My hair changes with the seasons, due to the weather differences. HTH

All of the above suggestions from the others members were great too!:cheese:

KaeleyAnne
February 10th, 2009, 03:18 PM
I didn't actually know putting conditioner on your scalp was bad; I've always done that, so I'll try not doing it and see what happens. I have tried conditioner-only washes and I do find that it helps, although every few days I need to shampoo again. I have a jar of coconut oil but I've only been able to oil twice since I bought it because the lid has become fused shut :( I need a strong person to open it for me. And actually no... I have never tried clarifying. I could probably do with trying it; thank you for the suggestion.

I haven't tried sulphate-free shampoo yet; I'll try to find some at the local health food store since HEB doesn't appear to carry anything like that.

Even when I'm not doing CO washes, I still have to put conditioner on my scalp, or else the top of my hair gets dry and frizzy - I just make sure to rinse well. Also, from the CO thread, it looks like there are others who do a modified CO in which they periodically use shampoo - it's all about what works for you.

I've had my coconut oil jar fuse shut before. Running the lid under hot water has helped, as has letting the jar soak, upside down, in near boiling water for a little while - just make sure that the jar isn't too cold so that you don't crack the glass when you put it in the hot water. I'm slowly learning not to close the jar as tightly!

Clarifying has definitely helped my hair in the past, especially when I had been using conditioner with 'cones in it for awhile. Speaking of 'cones, some hair really likes them, and there is certainly nothing wrong with that. :)

Curlsgirl
February 10th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Well if you hadn't said it's always been like that I would say it's the season. Mine has been dry dry dry this winter I think due to the very cold dry temps and dry heat indoors. I sit right in front of a heater all day at work and I can almost feel my hair drying out :shudder:

I have been wearing it up almost all the time and heavily oiled and conditioned. I hope Spring will be better!

Vainjane
February 10th, 2009, 05:30 PM
I have wavy hair too but don't yet have your length. I co-wash or use deluted shampoo depending on how dirty my hair is. I condition with every wash and use Jojoba Oil in ends while wet. When I get frustrated with my hair itry a few things; clarifying shampoo, ACV rince, oiling at night, and somthing similar to the SMT treatment.

Almandine
February 10th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I picked up a bottle of VO5 Kiwi Lime Clarifying shampoo and shall try it in the morning. I'll let you guys know how it goes. :)

Thank you for the suggestions.

ETA: I got the jar open and decided to celebrate by, well, using it. And I have to say, my hair apparently LOVES oil. I have it in a braid right now but before I did, I was checking it out and my waves were more defined (like in my signature picture) and my hair was less flat and boring. And of course it took care of most of the frizz nicely, and made it all shiny and pretty. I still want to clarify, but I'll be remembering this effect. Perhaps oil is the solution after all!