PDA

View Full Version : What do you do or use to get shiny hair

bikerblue
February 10th, 2009, 08:24 AM
Hi Everyone

My hair is kind of a reddy brown colour, I rinse with cold water or do a ACV rinse and find it gives me some shine, I sometimes use jojoba oil but find it make my hair greasy fast even though I only use 1 drop. I tried the Halo rinse the other day but it didn't work at all for me. I was wondering what LHCs do for shine?

thanks BB

physicschick
February 10th, 2009, 08:29 AM
Snowy's Moisture Treatment (SMT) gives me some shine. That might be due to the honey.

Misha
February 10th, 2009, 08:46 AM
These 3 things have increased my shine:

*airdrying
*updo's daily
*oiling daily (I use either grapeseed or coconut oil, and do a heavy overnight oiling with olive oil whenever I feel like it maybe once a week or so).

Voila :magic: - simple formula for healthy hair.

neveen
February 10th, 2009, 08:59 AM
You may not prefer what works for me but I'll suggest it anyways ---

Paul Mitchell "Thicken Up"

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21VS5DPEPRL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

If you blow dry, you'll get fantastic, soft volume with loads of shine. Air dry and you'll just get the shine. A very small bit goes a long way too. Zero hold. My hair is lifeless and horribly straight but I can see this working great on thicker hair as well.

peachrose
February 10th, 2009, 09:03 AM
Jojoba oil gives me great shine. My hair is quite dry so I use about 10 drops and then smooth it on, focusing on the driest, dullest looking parts of my hair.

LadyLongLocks
February 10th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Sunsilk thermashine spray while blowdrying and then a few drops of jojoba or sweet almond oil on the length. My hair is more shiny the second day after washing.
If you want a shine for a photo, use indoor flash and not natural lighting.

scalawaggirl
February 10th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Catnip rinses and Fox's leave-in have really helped me with shine. I think it's mostly the catnip, though.

My hair is henna/cassia(ed) so that also provided shine when I first did it. However, the two above have been what I've been doing for maintenance as well as no shampoo (CO) so that, I'm sure has also been a positive change that resulted in shine for me.

I can see it when looking in the mirror w/natural light so know it's not coming only from the camera flash.

Eden Iris
February 10th, 2009, 10:47 AM
Henna works for me.

Torrin Paige
February 10th, 2009, 10:53 AM
F/X Silk Drops (if you're not anti -cone). The best detangler ever with the added benefit of crazy shine. Oh, and Lady Long Locks is totally right about the Sunsilk Thermashine stuff.

Ranee
February 10th, 2009, 12:19 PM
Henna! It's great for shine :)

SimplyLonghair
February 10th, 2009, 12:24 PM
SMT! Rocks :rockerdud My hair loves honey! It makes it so shiny! :crush: The moisture is what makes mine shine!:cheese:

twilight
February 10th, 2009, 12:25 PM
henna, ACV, and (when i can use it again) catnip! updos during air-drying definitely help too.

i used to use "proclaim glossing polish" from sally's when i was into conventional products; it's pretty awesome...

serious
February 10th, 2009, 01:12 PM
Definitely HENNA !
Honey or maple syrup also work :magic:

atlantaz3
February 10th, 2009, 01:46 PM
Lately smt with aloe, final rinse with vinegar and distilled COLD water.

atlantaz3
February 10th, 2009, 01:49 PM
Definitely HENNA !
Honey or maple syrup also work :magic:

what does the maple syrup do?

Melisande
February 10th, 2009, 03:10 PM
From the outside: henna, citric acid rinses, SMTs with honey, pre-wash olive oil deep oilings and post-wash coconut or joboba light oilings, sheabutter a la Fox for the ends.

From the inside: fish oil and evening primrose oil, MSM and zinc make my hair grow stronger and shinier.

serious
February 10th, 2009, 03:29 PM
what does the maple syrup do?

Applied on wet hair and left for about 20 minutes, it gives me great shine and volume.I use it instead of honey in my SMT sometimes and it works lovely.
You can read more in this thread:http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=13947&highlight=maple+syrup

Elphie
February 10th, 2009, 04:44 PM
Olive oil shampoo/conditioner, coconut oilings, ACV rinses, airdrying and lots and lots and lots of sunflower seeds. *grins*

Vainjane
February 10th, 2009, 05:13 PM
I use jojoba oil while wet, just a drop or two. I also do various conditioning treatments with mayonaise and various oils. Every once in a while I use cassia.

Jeni
February 10th, 2009, 06:09 PM
Cassia/henna, SMT (my hair LOVES honey), oiling just makes my hair greasy looking so I only use it for DT

spidermom
February 10th, 2009, 06:19 PM
If I want shine, I make sure I'm in the sunshine or use the flash. I think taking good care of my hair, including using oil and conditioners, will give it the tendency to be shiny, but to bring that out, I need direct light.

No direct light:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/Jan09.jpg

Bright salon lights:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/0808sigpic.jpg

Sunshine:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/1008.jpg

See what I mean?

Jeni
February 10th, 2009, 07:36 PM
If I want shine, I make sure I'm in the sunshine or use the flash. I think taking good care of my hair, including using oil and conditioners, will give it the tendency to be shiny, but to bring that out, I need direct light.

No direct light:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/Jan09.jpg

Bright salon lights:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/0808sigpic.jpg

Sunshine:
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/1008.jpg

See what I mean?

Man you hair is pretty!

spidermom
February 10th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Man you hair is pretty!

Ah (blush), thank you.

intothemist1999
February 10th, 2009, 11:56 PM
My new growth since joining TLHC is sooo shiny! The main changes to my hair care routine: no-cones CO, no blow drying, finger combing primarily.

I don't "add" anything for shine, as they've never worked for me anyway. I use coconut oil on the length to help it out some. Although the shine on the length varies, it's never as shiny as the new growth.

serious
February 11th, 2009, 12:14 AM
Spidermom is right!
My hair is shiny, but with flash or sunlight it is sparkling!
Also, darker hair reflects the light way easier than the blond one.

Aditi
February 11th, 2009, 12:24 AM
ACV gives me shiny hair and also dove conditioner.

Jeni
February 11th, 2009, 12:26 AM
Spidermom is right!
My hair is shiny, but with flash or sunlight it is sparkling!
Also, darker hair reflects the light way easier than the blond one.

No kidding, I'd kill for the OMG shine I see on people with dark brown and black hair!

bikerblue
February 11th, 2009, 10:24 AM
Thanks for all your suggestions I'll definately be trying someout.

Spidermom you are so right about lighting I never even considered it.

LadyLongLocks thanks for the link to your website I love your coconut pre conditioner recipe it's saved my hair!

JamieLeigh
February 11th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I notice that I tend to have high-gloss most days, but I don't really think I do anything special to achieve it. I CO, cone-free, but I use cones in my deep condish and leave-ins. And I final-rinse in cold water, but I do most washing in warm/lukewarm water. I haven't used oils yet, but I do supplement with vitamins and have a healthy diet. :)

Anje
February 11th, 2009, 11:55 AM
A camera with a flash.

Seriously, my hair is just shiny.

Pierre
February 11th, 2009, 08:36 PM
Henna and jojoba and a complete lack of heat treatment.

Zindell
February 12th, 2009, 01:59 AM
What do you do or use to get shiny hair

Conditioner with cones :D

Rhea
February 12th, 2009, 03:04 AM
My hair is shining with(by?) the holy sebum

HotRag
February 12th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Most softening and shine giving treatment for me, has been SMT made on yogurt instead of conditioner. I just rinsed it out, not washed afterwards.
I have never had softer or shinier hair.

Indian herbs has given me softness, but I haven't found the right composition to get them perfect yet.

3azza
February 12th, 2009, 07:28 AM
Wearing a scarf to avoid sunlight and wind keeps my hair shiny and beautiful. I started using one after i visited Iran and had to be veiled, after 10 days i noticed a beautiful shine in my hair, and i am buying scarfs ever since.

mellie
February 12th, 2009, 07:30 AM
-washing with soapnuts

-henndigo

-honey treatments

-air drying

Copasetic
February 12th, 2009, 07:33 AM
My regular conditioner, Live Clean Moisturizing, gives me great shine.

boomygrrl
February 12th, 2009, 01:47 PM
Leave-in conditioners with amodimethicone or even water soluble cones , such as Regis Olive Oil leave-in conditioner (with Peg modified dimethicone) and Garnier Fructis sleek and shine with amodimethicone. If it's windy I sometimes use a hairspray that offers great shine, but I don't like to use it often because hairspray is drying-- it's callled TiGi S-Factor chic shine spray. Also Jane Carter's Nourish and Shine makes my hair shiny, but I canonly use very little or it'll make it look oily and dirty too.

paintedmuse
February 12th, 2009, 02:44 PM
1. I leave my conditioner in for a few minutes, rinse, then soak hair in conditioner and leave in for at least another 20 mins :D
2. Use a bit of this same conditioner (cone-free) as a leave-in
3. When hair is (almost) dry, oil ends, rub hands together and distribute that over the length
4. Go to bed
5. Comb/brush hair in the morning and add a tiny amount of oil

= shiny, volumous hair for me :)

On non-wash days just do steps 3-5 :p

And before I wash, I do a heavier oiling on both hair and scalp, I think this helps too.