PDA

View Full Version : Medium TV show - Arielle's long hair and styles

scalawaggirl
February 10th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Okay, I've watched this show for awhile and always loved the character Arielle's (Sofia Vassilieva) hair. There were a few cute styles on a recent episode so I made note of them and then went in search of pictures.

Well, two things. First, I was wondering, if anyone knows what I'm talking about (her hair styles on the show) and also the sad news that she's actually wearing a wig now (I thought it looked WEIRD and way too blond) because she shaved her head for a movie role.

It made me annoyed to hear that she did this but then again, I'm a longhair freak. :) Her hair was so pretty before. Ah well.

Amara
February 10th, 2009, 09:52 AM
I don't watch any TV programs so I don't know the person you're referring to... but I just wanted to say I too have been frustrated when I realize the hair I admire on someone else is fake (wig or extensions). I'm not sure why it frustrates me so! :D

scalawaggirl
February 10th, 2009, 10:02 AM
I don't watch any TV programs so I don't know the person you're referring to... but I just wanted to say I too have been frustrated when I realize the hair I admire on someone else is fake (wig or extensions). I'm not sure why it frustrates me so! :D

;) well for me it's because they're taking credit for something that a) isn't as pretty (usually) as naturally long hair; b) belies the reality that extensions can (and often do) ruin your hair, are not cost-effective and don't even last very long, anyway; c) doesn't celebrate how nice long hair really is - that it takes effort but is worth it and not easily attainable as they seem to make it appear.

Okay, mini-rant over. I realize this is not everyone's opinion but I was darn disappointed when I found out she shaved all her hair off. Blah.

There were/are some cute styles they do on her, though!

Amara
February 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM
I agree. It's like - we work hard for it, and they "cheat" and most people don't realize it's not real.

Delila
February 10th, 2009, 10:10 AM
Oh. I'd forgotten she did that. Guess I should re-watch last night's episode. :)

Actually, I'm glad that she didn't let something as relatively trivial as hair get in the way of a role she really wanted.

At her age, it's probably a real challenge to find work that might be worth such a move. If it's worth it to her, it's okay with me. It's her career after all, not mine. :)

scalawaggirl
February 10th, 2009, 10:20 AM
I agree. It's like - we work hard for it, and they "cheat" and most people don't realize it's not real.

Yep, and I suppose the fact that the mainstream opinion is that long hair is out of style and the other reasons I don't care to remember yet extensions are cool. Huh?

It's her career after all, not mine. :)Delila, I am in agreement that she should do what she feels right for her career but was disappointed, nonetheless, that she cut it. Hope that makes sense. I read that Dakota Fanning (and her Sis, if I recall) backed out of the role due to the shaved head requirement so that's how Sofia was considered.

SHELIAANN1969
February 10th, 2009, 10:21 AM
I saw last nights episode too and was thinking that I liked her hairstyle! I didn't know she shaved her head, I googled, that's cool though, seems like she knows what she wants and knows what she's doing. And after all, she IS a youngster who can grow it all back probobly without much effort.

An old lady like me, I sweat the growth, lol! :D

scalawaggirl
February 10th, 2009, 10:28 AM
I saw last nights episode too and was thinking that I liked her hairstyle! I didn't know she shaved her head, I googled, that's cool though, seems like she knows what she wants and knows what she's doing. And after all, she IS a youngster who can grow it all back probobly without much effort.

An old lady like me, I sweat the growth, lol! :D

Exactly! I made a mental note of the 3-band thing, which I've seen before but it sure looked pretty when I saw it on the show. I also liked the side twirls (don't you love my explanations) also banded at the back that she wore later in the show.

True, true. She is but a youngster. I am certainly projecting as I wished I'd kept my long hair as a teen...cut it off before entering HS and it was waist length. Of course, I let it grow out after that, as I've always done. I can't even recall how many times my hair has been at waist! :D

SHELIAANN1969
February 10th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I turned 30 before I started growing out my hair! I guess we are living proof that it's never to late to learn new things and to grow our hair! :flower:

Xandergrammy
February 10th, 2009, 03:57 PM
I loved the styles she wore last night. I even commented to my DH. It IS disappointing to find out that it's a wig, but I think her reason for shaving her head was a good one. Her hair will grow back.

WavyGirl
February 12th, 2009, 12:54 AM
I love that show and her hair was an added bonus. Most of the styles were fairly basic, they just looked stunning because of her hair type and length. I didn't know she'd cut it off. We're way behind the USA and UK over here so I won't be seeing the new season for a while yet. Think I'm gonna have to google images now though. It would be interesting to see her in a movie. I think she's a good actress.

DecafJane
February 12th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Good on her. Everybody should try having their hair ultra-short at least once. It always grows back. :)

scalawaggirl
February 12th, 2009, 05:13 AM
I love that show and her hair was an added bonus. Most of the styles were fairly basic, they just looked stunning because of her hair type and length. I didn't know she'd cut it off. We're way behind the USA and UK over here so I won't be seeing the new season for a while yet. Think I'm gonna have to google images now though. It would be interesting to see her in a movie. I think she's a good actress.

I agree that the styles were fairly simple but her length and type was so pretty that it was impressive on its own. That's what I call "makes you stop and stare" long hair.

One of the hair styles she wore in the show on Monday night, while simple, was very pretty. So, I did it yesterday:

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h311/scalawaggirl/Hair/IMG_4735.jpg

Amoretti
February 12th, 2009, 06:38 AM
Scalawaggirl; that's lovely!

I also enjoy that show and have always loved Arielle's hair. It was so natural!
Anyway, I'm glad she getting more roles now. Hair grows back. :D

WavyGirl
February 12th, 2009, 06:46 AM
Scalawaggirl that style looks lovely in your hair. I love the colour and the waves.

Delila
February 12th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Oh, that is pretty. I need to keep a better Ariel watch for styles, LOL!

scalawaggirl
February 12th, 2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks, everyone! When I first tried the style, I did not "cage" the underlying hair and it didn't turn out right at all. Finally, I figured it out and thought, hmm, this is a good style for the workplace! Of course, I'd use invisible bands with little gem pins or maybe small, pretty barrettes though I don't know how well they'd stay put.

I do recall seeing someone here on LHC that did a continuation of this all the way down for a no-braid "braid" - at least I think I did. When I gave it a whirl the first time 'round way back, I made the same no-cage mistake so it didn't look right at all. Anyway, that's another idea to try.

I'm going to be keeping an eye out on the show for more cool 'dos! ;)