PDA

View Full Version : One Arm Styles

doodlesmart
February 10th, 2009, 12:14 AM
This evening I suffered an injury to my arm such that I can only use one. What styles are doable with one hand? Doesn't need to be pretty, just out of the way. DH could potentially help, but he doesn't even know how to braid, so that's going to be limited.

And yes, I will get me to a doctor in the morning. Urgent care is closed though at the moment and it's not ER worthy.

Catladyintown
February 10th, 2009, 12:17 AM
Sorry to here about your arm. I honestly don't know of a style that you can do with one arm. Hopefully someone can help.

snowbear
February 10th, 2009, 12:34 AM
Anything twisty and messy works well--but I'd wear a buff or snood if it was a temporary thing: It'll keep the hair out of your face, and won't involve overusing your other arm.

sahiba
February 10th, 2009, 12:54 AM
Oh dear , I'm so sorry to hear about your arm :grouphug: Just a pony is ok in this situation I feel , what say :) :flower:

KnightsLady
February 10th, 2009, 01:40 AM
Could use a claw for a half up. I've done that when stuck.

SimplyLonghair
February 10th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I agree clips work well, but if you could get dh to help you could twist and he add the hairstick or clip. My Dear Dad did Half ups for us as styles when we were younger.:rolleyes:

frizzinator
February 10th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Not too long ago, someone posted a wrap bun where you basically move the stick around and let your hair wrap around it, and at some point, you plunge the stick into your scalp hair (under the wrap). I just tried it with one hand and it's not easy, but it works.

Chanteuse87
February 10th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I actually recently spent nine days in a hospital in Austria, and for most of that I had a port stuck in my arm right at the elbow, making it impossible to do much of anything. Luckily my roommates came every day, or every other day, and would braid my hair for me, but for those times I was able to get up and shower, I'd have to figure out what to do with my hair (btw, washing one handed is NOT EASY!). Jaw clips saved me. Despite the fact that they'd be messy, some hair would be falling out, and it didn't look pretty, at least it was out of my face. Twist your hair a few times to get as much as you can in place, then secure it at the nape. It was the easiest thing I could figure out.

Good luck!

Tapioca
February 10th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I broke my arm last summer, and about all I could manage one-handed was combing it out and leaving it loose. Luckily, I had a willing five-year-old who could put in a scruncy for a low ponytail.

Amara
February 10th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Oh dear! I can't imagine - what a bother. I hope you recover quickly. Others have posted the only ideas I have. :)

cobblersmaid
February 10th, 2009, 11:14 AM
I second the buff or bandana suggestion, or get DH to braid it.

Periwinkle
February 10th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Perhaps you could get DH to do a pony with bands down the length? That's pretty simple and would keep it out of the way.

So sorry to hear about your arm - get well soon! :flowers:

KarenLynn
February 10th, 2009, 11:21 AM
If you have some use of the injured arm, maybe you could pull your hair around to the front and make a braid? Else, one of those stiff headbands (Alice band?) could be put on without having to lift your arms very high.

Almandine
February 10th, 2009, 11:35 AM
I used to twist my hair all down the length, then wrap it up around itself at the base of the twist and secure it with a tight scrunchy. It was just sort of big twisted-around knot at the base of my skull. I think you could do that easily with one hand. It sometimes comes loose but it just turns into a ponytail at that point anyway.

MadPirateBippy
February 23rd, 2009, 01:02 PM
Headbands or jaw clips is what I have done when I'm one-armed. I hope you feel better soon!