PDA

View Full Version : When drying your hair...

LittleOrca
February 9th, 2009, 05:02 PM
When drying your hair is it better to leave it down to dry then put it up with sticks or is is better to put it up while drying?

I thought that the putting up while it was wet could damage the hair, but so could leaving the hair down to get caught on things and tangled.

Any thoughts?

Copasetic
February 9th, 2009, 05:07 PM
I always put mine in a braid to dry. I am careful when I put it up. I only use a wide tooth comb, which I don't think is too damaging. I find leaving my hair down to dry is a bit uncomfortable.

AJoifulNoise
February 9th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I almost always put my hair up right out of the shower. Not dripping, but still quite wet. Unless it's in braids, it never dries completely while it is up. I take it down in the evening to finish drying before bed.

Euphony
February 9th, 2009, 05:31 PM
I wash my hair about 3 times a week - it takes FOREVER to dry - up or down. So I usually put it up after blotting it with a towel and combing it. It's still very wet when I come home from work, so that's when I usually let it loose to finish drying, most of the time though it's still wet when I got to bed. Depending on how I feel I put it up for bed or just lay it on my pillow to continue drying.

suicides_eve
February 9th, 2009, 05:37 PM
when i'm done getting it wet i put it up in a turbie twist to remove excess water, i then leave my hair down to dry. if i put it up while wet it will stay damp forever

AnneAdeline
February 9th, 2009, 05:42 PM
I almost always leave my hair down to dry. If I don't, it's still wet when I take it down at the end of the day. I also only wash once a week, on the weekend, because I don't like having to wait for it to dry.

Elphie
February 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I do a little of both. After I wash, I let it air dry, down, for about 40 minutes and then I usually put it up or braid it while it's still damp. If it's the weekend, I can let it dry fully before doing anything.

EtherealJane
February 9th, 2009, 05:45 PM
I always let my hair dry completely if I can before I put it up. That said, it can be kind of impractical since it usually takes about 2.5-3 hours for my hair to dry, and I ALWAYS put it up before I go out or do anything where it can be in danger around the house. That said, sometimes life gets busy and I can't wait for my hair to dry before going to class or work, and then I put it up damp. I think it's worse to go out where your hair can get tangled waiting for it to dry than putting it up when wet, imo.

spidermom
February 9th, 2009, 05:48 PM
Most of the time I either leave it down or blow-dry it with warm-to-cool air, never hot, and no pulling/stretching. Or I puddle it in the space above my pillow, another pillow wedged between the bedframe and the mattress so that my hair can't fall over the top of the bed toward the floor - that pulls. Ow!

If I put my hair up or braided it, it wouldn't get dry before I'd need to wash it again.

Raederle
February 9th, 2009, 05:53 PM
I use a microfiber towel to soak up most of the wet, leaving it on a good 20 minutes or so. If I'm going to be inside where it's relatively low risk, I leave it loose. Otherwise I just sort of throw it up in an anyhow bun. Either way, I don't comb it until completely dry.

Guenever
February 9th, 2009, 06:13 PM
I let it dry for about an hour in a microfibre towel, then take it down to dry until it starts to "frizz".. then up in a bun while it's still a bit damp and leave it there.
Damp bunning eliminates most of my day 1 fine hair frizz..

Nectariness
February 9th, 2009, 06:16 PM
My hair takes just over 3 hours to dry fully too... I'd probably wash mostly every 3 days, but sometimes 2 if I've been doing and redoing my bun (great for procrastinating; so is coming on here and learning suff!) I do different things in different situations, but I always turbie it as soon as I'm out of the shower, and leave that in until I'm dressed. Once it's dry, I'll oil the underlayer with rosehip, and then the whole lot with jojoba.

If I wash my hair in the morning, and I'm staying at home/lectures, then I'll twist it up and hold it walking between lectures, but leave it out till it's dry.

If I wash it at night, which I don't do very often, I'll usually flip it up behind my pillow or put it into a very loose french plait. My hair is always softer and has much more slip when I sleep on it loose, does anyone else find that?

If I'm heading out somewhere, I'll do my best not to wash it, but if I'm PMS-y (makes my sebum production go nuts) sometimes I just *have* to ;) I'll let it dry down as much as I can before heading out, then I'll put it up with my favourite hairstick (I find it pulls/stretches much less than anything else. No way I'd let hairties near it, I don't wear them at the best of times!). I let it out to dry properly once I'm "safe", then oil asap.

I like to wash it after my last lecture of the day, about 6 pm, so it dries before bed. I don't find I have to wash it after a workout - as long as I don't touch my scalp (mmm, crunchy, salty goodness =P), it looks fine, and the length is happy.

RavennaNight
February 9th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I simply towel dry and leave it down, combing occasionally. If I put it up it will never dry. And besides, it's fresh! I like to leave it down.

Feline
February 9th, 2009, 07:13 PM
I dry it to dampness in a large towel, then leave it down overnight. If I braid it, it will never dry. Only problem I have is that one of our cats likes to lie on it that way :(....

Jessikinz
February 9th, 2009, 07:19 PM
As soon as I get out of the shower I towel dry my hair until it's damp. Than I gently bun it on the top of my head. I usually let it stay like that for half the day. I don't need anything else to hold it. It just stays in place all by itself for some reason. If I dry my hair this way, it usually takes a day or two to fully dry. I don't mind this at all.

LadyLongLocks
February 9th, 2009, 07:37 PM
I leave mine down. My hair is very heavy when wet and makes my scalp sore if it is worn up while wet. I comb it wet with my wide tooth scunci comb, air dry it for a bit and then I usually blow dry. If I air dry it, I also leave it down, never up.

Heavenly Locks
February 9th, 2009, 08:41 PM
I wear it up in a towel until it is about 60% dry, then I leave it down to dry until it is just damp. Then I use a *gasp* hair dryer to smooth out any odd waves. I am careful with it I swear! ;)

Noctifer
February 9th, 2009, 09:47 PM
I usully let my hair dry down otherwise the hair goes from beeing able to dry in about a hour too a whole day and my hair aint dry yet

Catladyintown
February 9th, 2009, 09:48 PM
I usually put my hair in a bun to let it dry.

trolleypup
February 9th, 2009, 09:55 PM
I use a microfiber towel to soak up most of the wet, leaving it on a good 20 minutes or so. If I'm going to be inside where it's relatively low risk, I leave it loose. Otherwise I just sort of throw it up in an anyhow bun. Either way, I don't comb it until completely dry.
Yep...just like that. And I'm not much of a thrasher in bed, so I can just put it next to me on another microfiber towel to dry overnight.

Coriander
February 9th, 2009, 09:56 PM
I usually put mine up when it's damp... I seem to have better control of buns and updos that way. I dislike having wet hair flopping around anyways :)

viking_quest
February 9th, 2009, 10:10 PM
I do my best to get all of the dampness out of my hair by using a towel and then I let it hang to air dry.

Kimberly
February 9th, 2009, 10:27 PM
I squish out as much water as I can with a towel, then my cat combs my hair with her claws (no kidding -- and she'll yell at me if I don't let her do it right away), then I let it dry down. It takes hours and hours to dry, and the longer it takes the better the curls. I can't dry it in a bun, because it just won't dry, even if I leave it like that all day.