PDA

View Full Version : Shedding a lot :(

Bianca
February 9th, 2009, 03:21 PM
I feel like i'm losing a lot more hair than I should :(

Every time I run my hands though it and "pull" (not hard) I lose some hair. Between 5-10 strands. Also every time I wash my hair it seems i'm losing a lot more than usual.

I have started some new things, I now use a wide tooth comb. Where I used a normal brush before, and I only wash it twice a week.

Could it have something to do with the wide tooth comb ? I'm thinking that it might not get all the shed hair's out because of the distance between the teeth on the comb. (i'm trying my best to explain btw, but i'm danish so it can't be perfect) :p

No change in diet, I take my vitamins. I even stopped coloring it (not that long ago, but proud nontheless) :D

chrissy-b
February 9th, 2009, 03:27 PM
If you're washing less frequently you may notice the shed hairs more. Have you changed your products?

It could be a change in routine, or possibly just your normal shed. If it goes on for more than a few weeks or increases drastically I would recommend seeing your doctor. It doesn't sound like anything for you to worry about too much right now, though.

Bianca
February 9th, 2009, 03:35 PM
If you're washing less frequently you may notice the shed hairs more. Have you changed your products?

It could be a change in routine, or possibly just your normal shed. If it goes on for more than a few weeks or increases drastically I would recommend seeing your doctor. It doesn't sound like anything for you to worry about too much right now, though.

Yes, I have gone from a gentle shampoo, without sls or any bad stuff, to ordinary shampoo. I had too, the other shampoo didn't get my hair clean enough. Could that be it ?

HairColoredHair
February 9th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Definitely could be contributing. :D

You could also be in a shed period, which happens to some people on a regular basis.

Bianca
February 9th, 2009, 03:42 PM
Definitely could be contributing. :D

You could also be in a shed period, which happens to some people on a regular basis.

I'm already much more relaxed :p

Coriander
February 9th, 2009, 03:52 PM
It could just be your hair getting used to the new shampoos and the combing instead of brushing. I switched to combing-only and for a while it seemed I was shedding a *lot*.

Congratulations on the not-coloring! :) I think this might help you as well.

Also, off topic, you only have one more post to go for 100! Congrats on that too! :D :cheese:

Moonstruck
February 9th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Maybe you're just noticing it more now? Because you're using a wide-toothed comb and washing less frequently, you aren't shedding as much when you do those things. Like, what I mean is if you were losing 15 hairs to your brush everyday, and now you're not brushing with it, you might be just noticing that those 15 hairs are coming out when you lightly tug.
Is that a possibility? I know that got me confused at first.

GlassEyes
February 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Could be, you know, all the bleaching and dyeing you've done. Just something to note.

I know my hair got really thin towards the ends from dye damage at my short length; so much so I recently got it cut. And I used to shed like crazy.

Maybe you should continue on the dye-less path, at least for a while. Or look into deposit only stuff.

Bianca
February 9th, 2009, 04:16 PM
It could just be your hair getting used to the new shampoos and the combing instead of brushing. I switched to combing-only and for a while it seemed I was shedding a *lot*.

Congratulations on the not-coloring! :) I think this might help you as well.

Also, off topic, you only have one more post to go for 100! Congrats on that too! :D :cheese:

Yiipee... My 100 post :cheese:

I dont know why I didn't think about the shampoo being the course of it. I guess I have to wait and see if it continues. I just can't recall ever shedding this much :)

Thanks :blossom: I have made the decision to stop coloring my hair many times before. But I know I'll do it this time. I'm tired of the upkeep. So much easier just leaving it alone :p Plus, i'll get healtier hair. I havn't seen my natural color in many years. I cant wait til it grows out and I dont have to worry about fading hair color or green tint from chlorine ect :p

Bianca
February 9th, 2009, 04:26 PM
Could be, you know, all the bleaching and dyeing you've done. Just something to note.

I know my hair got really thin towards the ends from dye damage at my short length; so much so I recently got it cut. And I used to shed like crazy.

Maybe you should continue on the dye-less path, at least for a while. Or look into deposit only stuff.

Well, I have always bleached and colored it like crazy. Can't see why that should have anything to do with it. It's not breakage :)

ImperfectBrat
February 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM
What about trying catnip for a while and see if that helps ? I know that I used to shed a lot and after using the catnip for about 2 weeks now (I think) my hair is more shiny, thicker and sheds less. My friends are amazed when they see me with my hair down now since I spent oh, 9 years with it in a ponytail.

Could help. Couldn't hurt.

Catnip thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476&highlight=catnip

Bianca
February 9th, 2009, 04:41 PM
Maybe you're just noticing it more now? Because you're using a wide-toothed comb and washing less frequently, you aren't shedding as much when you do those things. Like, what I mean is if you were losing 15 hairs to your brush everyday, and now you're not brushing with it, you might be just noticing that those 15 hairs are coming out when you lightly tug.
Is that a possibility? I know that got me confused at first.

I hope it has something to do with that :)

I tried pulling my little sisters hair gently and NO hair came out. She's only 8, but still :p

Bianca
February 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM
What about trying catnip for a while and see if that helps ? I know that I used to shed a lot and after using the catnip for about 2 weeks now (I think) my hair is more shiny, thicker and sheds less. My friends are amazed when they see me with my hair down now since I spent oh, 9 years with it in a ponytail.

Could help. Couldn't hurt.

Catnip thread:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=476&highlight=catnip

Oh, how funny. I just read that and I did consider trying it. Not too thrilled about the yellow color though. Not sure if it would be noticeable on my dark blonde hair ?

ImperfectBrat
February 9th, 2009, 05:16 PM
Oh, how funny. I just read that and I did consider trying it. Not too thrilled about the yellow color though. Not sure if it would be noticeable on my dark blonde hair ?

From what I have read, the color washes out. Do you have any shed hairs you could test ?

I know on my hair, I have not seen any color change. I figured that the color might change some of my lightest tones (almost blond) but I have not seen any change.

Where is ktani with the awesome advice on color vs treating??? :D

chrissy-b
February 10th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I dont know why I didn't think about the shampoo being the course of it. I guess I have to wait and see if it continues. I just can't recall ever shedding this much :)

It may be the shampoo, it may be because you're noticing more shedding because of the routine. Just keep an eye on it. If it continues, change shampoo and see if that helps. You'll figure it out. :)

Aditi
February 10th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Hii Bianca even i am having the same problem in hair fall. I havent change my diet or products or routine but still the shedding has increased than usual. But as it was suggested in your thread that this must be due to shedding period which some undergoes in this season, maybe i am one of those some :p

Bianca
February 10th, 2009, 03:39 AM
From what I have read, the color washes out. Do you have any shed hairs you could test ?

I know on my hair, I have not seen any color change. I figured that the color might change some of my lightest tones (almost blond) but I have not seen any change.

Yes, I have lots of shed hair to test on :p Going to the stores tomorrow, will look for the catnip. Thanks for your help, ImperfectBrat :blossom:

It may be the shampoo, it may be because you're noticing more shedding because of the routine. Just keep an eye on it. If it continues, change shampoo and see if that helps. You'll figure it out. :)

Thanks, I'll find another shampoo tomorrow anyway, I'v been using whatever I had around, sometimes a shampoo for blond hair that takes out build up, and other times a clarifying shampoo. I can't use the SLS free stuff anymore. Going back to cones, and I dont think my SLS free shampoo could cope with that. It couldn't even clean my hair properly without cones :p

Hii Bianca even i am having the same problem in hair fall. I havent change my diet or products or routine but still the shedding has increased than usual. But as it was suggested in your thread that this must be due to shedding period which some undergoes in this season, maybe i am one of those some :p

I hope that's all that is going on with my hair as well. I cross my fingers for both of us :flower:

scalawaggirl
February 12th, 2009, 07:32 AM

Hi, ladies. Not sure that ktani has seen this but I've been following her catnip thread and she mentioned that for color treatment (does wash out, apparently), she allows the catnip tea to steep for quite a long time - about an hour or so. She indicated that she got better results with this.

I also believe that she bags her hair for color treatment and leaves it on for about an hour, as well. This is different than the normal catnip conditioning that she does...I think, anyway.

Back on topic, I've been shedding a lot lately, as well. I've gone totally CO, almost, with an occasional CWC once a week. Perhaps, my hair is acclimating, though, or it's the weather. Either way, I wish it would stop!

maunaloa
February 12th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I have been taking garlic pills for the past 2 weeks as I read it can aid in shedding. Too soon to tell, I think.

ChloeDharma
February 12th, 2009, 09:05 AM
My gut instinct tells me that it's likely to be the less frequent washing and switching to comb only. That doesn't mean that more hairs are actually being shed, just combing doesn't remove shed hairs as well as brushing does and the increased time between washing means more shed hair can accumulate before being removed by a wash.

Some people do find sulphate shampoos increase shedding, i also find that conditioner applied to the scalp makes me shed more.
Maybe try daily scalp massage, i find that loosens up hair that has shed and after a week or so of constanly remembering to do it my shedding reduces dramatically.

suicides_eve
February 12th, 2009, 12:08 PM
yep going from brushing to combing can contribute to hair shedding.. Brushing is allowing more hairs to be "captured" while combing is just kind working the knots out.

Bianca
February 17th, 2009, 04:34 AM
I went to the doctor today. He examined my scalp and told me it was in great condition. He told me it was normal to shed more sometimes, but if it continued I had to come see him again...

He reassured me that I wouldn't lose it all, or have bald patches :p Not that I thought it would come to that. But when you suddenly lose double as much hair as usually (and your a hair-nut) you get concerned.

I'm just gonna wait it out. I actually thought I might have tryroid problems, cause I have a lot of the symptoms. But I hope he's right, and it's just a shedding period. He didn't sound like there was anything to worry about. So even though I dont trust doctors that much, i'm relaxed for a while, hoping that it's nothing serious :)

MadPirateBippy
February 22nd, 2009, 08:29 PM
Depending on the season I shed between 3 and 100 hairs a day- if you're pulling out clumps of hair, worry, but mostly it's natural and not a big deal. Stress changes, changes in the season, and hormones can all effect it (during certain times of the month my shedding goes up- about one week before PMS hits, if I remember correctly).

There are people here who count their sheds and record them daily, a lot of times after a month or two you start to see patterns. If you're really concerned about it, even if it's just as estimated guess, that might be worth doing.

Coriander
February 22nd, 2009, 08:39 PM
Stress can definitely contribute to hair shed... I've had a stressful week and have noticed that there's a *lot* more hair in the shower drain-stopper.