PDA

View Full Version : Does hair grow faster when you have a fever?

eadwine
February 9th, 2009, 05:52 AM
Or will it all just shed a bit more.

I was wondering about that.

I know it grows faster when it is warm outside.. but what about inside :lol: (got me 40.4C / 104.7F fever)

Addy
February 9th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I don't know the answer but it'd certainly be a perk of feeling so crappy wouldn't it? :D

Hope you feel better soon!

Denebi
February 9th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I would not count on that. When you have a fever other body functions are reduced a bit, to save energy. It could well be that the hair growth is reduced then also.

Hmm, but I do not really know what happens ;)

I hope you feel better, soon!

natt i nord
February 9th, 2009, 06:25 AM
I'll measure carefully the next days :lol:

But I only have 37.5°C fever :D

HairColoredHair
February 9th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Your bodies processes, enzymes, etc that go into every function of your body, including hair growth, tend to have a 'perfect' temperature at which they operate most efficiently. For processes in a human body, that's 37 C, in most cases.

Above and below that temperature, things don't work as well. Too low and functions become depressed, too high and they break. That's why fever is bad, stuff stops working properly.

You'll probably shed more, if only from being in bed more.

jeno
February 9th, 2009, 07:38 AM
If your body are under big pressure, like having a fever, beeing pregnant or such things, you will shed after 5-6 months!

SpecialKitty
February 9th, 2009, 07:46 AM
If your body are under big pressure, like having a fever, beeing pregnant or such things, you will shed after 5-6 months!

Yes, this is what my doctor said just the other day :agree:

OhioLisa
February 9th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Hair doesn't necessarily grow faster when it is warm outside either.

eadwine
February 9th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Mine does.

Anyway, yeah it'll shed most likely. Ah well I could dream, right? :lol: Thanks for the well wishes! :)

Coriander
February 9th, 2009, 01:06 PM
I agree with what's been said about the body conserving energy.

I hope you feel better very soon. :flower:

eadwine
February 9th, 2009, 02:47 PM
Thanks Coriander :)

Finoriel
February 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM
:wink: When the fever is high enough you could imagine things... 40.4°C may be enough for some interesting fever hallucinations.
But then there are some other things you could imagine, which would be more fun than just fast hair growth. :eyebrows: :p

:flower: Hope you´re feeling better soon.

Rohele
February 9th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I had a massive shed when I was in my teens (about 1/3 - 1/2 of my hair), that I can only attribute to a very high fever (it peaked at around 42C - it was high enough to produce hallucinations, and the cause was left untreated for several days as I was on vacation in another country and wanted to get back home before seeing a doctor). I was very sick otherwise (had pneumonia) which probably influenced the outcome as well. My shed started about 6 months after I was sick.

Anyway, my long winded way of saying that a high fever can sometimes produce a shed.

I've never experienced anything remotely like that again, even after other high fevers, or after pregnancy. I can only imagine how long my hair would have been if the fever caused it to grow - it would had been a nice side effect!

Hope you're feeling better soon. :)

Celebrian
February 9th, 2009, 03:37 PM
I don't know - but I do know that every time I see this thread title, I keep reading it as 'Does hair grow faster when you have a lover'? ;)

Anyway, I hope you feel better soon... :blossom:

eadwine
February 9th, 2009, 04:39 PM
I bet it does.. especially if he slightly tugs it while ahumbum.

:lol:

Thanks for the well wishes!

LisaJaney
February 9th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I can't imagine that it would. MY thinking is that your body is making a fever to fight-off (kill) an infection or a "germ invasion". I would think your body is busily fighting-off invaders, and all the other "extra stuff" (like hair-growth, etc) would just be put temporarily on-hold. MY guess is that hair-growth would probably slow considerably during a fever. Thank God they don't last long, huh!

Hope you're not fighting a fever now, but IF you are, we hope you feel better soon! :grouphug:

Darkhorse1
February 9th, 2009, 10:01 PM
A high fever will cause shedding. This happened to me when I had a fever that high for 4 days. But, I also noticed my bangs grew within those 4 days. I was too sick to really care, but I wonder if it has something to do with increased metabolism. Not sure if any studies have been done to show this???