PDA

View Full Version : Fairytale Maintenance?

inspiral
February 9th, 2009, 12:01 AM
Hello Fellow Lovers of Hair~
I'm wondering if anyone trims to maintain their fairytale ends. I haven't had a "real" haircut in almost 2 years.... but I have been giving myself trims here and there. I like the look of fairytale ends, especially since my hair is curly, but I don't like them to get too raggedy.. I've been doing lots of S+D recently, and evening up the ends by pulling chunks straight down and cutting only the longest hairs, so they are still really uneven but not as ragged looking. I feel like I'm always finding pieces to trim, and it kinda scares me that I'm cutting all the time, even though I don't cut off very much, I would rather have someone else do the whole thing and then just be able to leave it alone and be happy with it. Not sure if I want a blunt cut though..... And I don't know how a salon would trim for fairytale ends.... Of course I would bring in pictures of what I want. Any other suggestions from fairytalers?

:sun:Bountiful and Glorious Hair Blessings!:sun:

HappyEndings
February 9th, 2009, 12:08 AM
How ironic that you post about fairytale hair and my sn is happy endings?! lol But what is fairytale hair??? :o

Angellen
February 9th, 2009, 12:37 AM
"Fairytale ends" are basically how one's hair tapers without regular trimmings, though that might not be the best definition. You can compare/contrast with U or V-shaped "hemlines" or blunt ends. If you do more searching, I'm sure LHC has a better working definition than I.

I last got my hair cut sometime in April I think it was, 2007, so I am coming up on two years with nothing but s&d. I have noticeable taper on the last three inches of my hair, but it falls nicely (luckily for me, as I'm a straighty and my ends are easier to see). I like a little fairytailing, but not a great deal, so this works well for me. I maintain a somewhat relaxed V shape. Maybe a subtle U or V shape might be more up your alley?

HotRag
February 9th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I hade some form of taper (not enough to call fairytale?) last time I had long hair.
You can see it in my album or the left pic in my sigpic.

It was this much tapered due to layers I had when I started grow, and that I did not even out. I just did S&D (going through ALL the hair 4 times a year) and grew. Sometimes a very small trimming. I made total S&D of all the hair, so there where hardly no splits or damage at all.

Xandergrammy
February 9th, 2009, 09:00 AM
My hair isn't as curly as yours but I do not trim. I'm actually at a point right now that I don't do S&D either (I tend to be a little OCD'ish). I have lots of pictures in my photo album and blog if you want to take a peek. :flowers:

kdaniels8811
February 9th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Funny, earlier someone posted about Faye's self trimming method, you may want to take a look at that? I trimmed about a half inch using her method - and it came out great! Yay!! She has both straight and u-shaped cuts and how to accomplish them yourself.

inspiral
February 10th, 2009, 04:06 PM
thanks for the suggestions!!:D

spidermom
February 10th, 2009, 04:18 PM
If I had great-looking fairy tale ends that were drying out, splitting, and breaking off, this is what I would do:
1) Make 8 or 10 ponytails going from ear around my nape to other ear.
2) One at a time, slide the pony-holder toward the ends. Stop the pony-holder above a place where I can get rid of the worst-looking ends in one cut straight across.
3) Spend 5 minutes or less snipping off any obvious bad ends that remain above the cut.
4) Move on.

girlcat36
February 10th, 2009, 05:07 PM
Inspiral, I trim my hair exactly the same way you do!

spidermom
February 10th, 2009, 05:32 PM
I just took a look at your photo album and it looks like you're doing things right. Your hair is beautiful.

Unicorn
February 15th, 2009, 02:16 AM
I've not tried it myself, but I known long haired bods who don't want blunt ends to trim the hair by putting it into sections (maybe eight or so), twisting each section then trimming away the ends that stick out along the lenth of the twisted section. The logic being that damaged ends tend to stick out more rather than lay neatly along the hair, thus only these damaged ends are removed, leaving the tapering the those with fairy tail ends prefer, while removing damaged ends throughout the hair.

Unicorn

inspiral
February 19th, 2009, 12:42 AM
oooh this twisting method is good! thanks!