PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else sick of layers?!

Nectariness
February 8th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I got my glorious hip length hair cut to apl with 10" of layering a couple of years ago.. why, why!

My longest layers are at waist now, shortest are a longish shoulder length. No way I'm going to chop it all off up there! My goal for this year is to have no layers and cut to bsl. Or maybe just keep it at waist and have my shortest layers at bsl? Thoughts?

What're y'all going through with your layers?

maunaloa
February 8th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I feel your pain. I am STILL growing out layers from both hair loss and a "misunderstanding" during a hair cut a couple years ago. I think all you can do is be patient. ;)

RancheroTheBee
February 8th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Since I'm growing out from a pixie, I have a lot of layers here and there. That, and the front is way longer, because I thought that would look cool. Ughn.

crystal_89
February 8th, 2009, 09:38 PM
I got my waist length hair cut back to APL less than 2 weeks ago. However, I plan to keep layers, just this time around, I'm going to have layers that look a bit more... normal.

suziwon
February 8th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Oh yeah. Well past sick of them here. I made the mistake of allowing them to be cut in about three years ago under the guise of "the only reason you don't like layers is because you've never had 'good' layers cut in before"

Silly me said "ok". ><

I'm still hanging out at about 1.5-2" above waist with the longest layers, and the shortest are about APL now. Seconding the sentiment of "no way am I cutting back to there".

I'm either going to maintain at waist when I get there, or see if I can make it to hip and maintain there.

Either way, I think I'm permanently cured of trying layers again.

MsBubbles
February 8th, 2009, 11:24 PM
My goal for this year is to have no layers and cut to bsl. Or maybe just keep it at waist and have my shortest layers at bsl? Thoughts?

IMO, it depends on your hair type and what kind of hemline you are ok with. If your hair is thick enough it may very well look great keeping it long, and if it's thinner and straighter, maybe you'd prefer to get the layers all the same length as soon as possible. I can't see any pics of your hair.

goldenwaves
February 8th, 2009, 11:35 PM
I just got my layers cut in again, because my hair was very difficult to manage and I didn't like how it hung straight down from my face without any shorter bits. I like the shorter layers at the front but hate the ones in the back because they just frizz up and make my hair look gross! Ahh well, gotta be patient :). I don't like the look of layers at the back, and don't know why I got them (I just didn't think enough I guess) but I do like layers at the front - face framing layers.

Chanterelle
February 8th, 2009, 11:58 PM
I feel your pain.
I'm growing out from a very eccentric short cut and now all my hair is different length, the longest around BSL and the shortest barely touching shoulders. The longest layers are actually quite nice while the shortest is unmanageable mess.
I used to get a trim every 3 month to keep it look good but recenetly I decided to avoid any cuts and just let it grow hoping it will eventually look better.
Patience is what we need.

Katze
February 9th, 2009, 01:28 AM
I'm still growing out from the "trendy shag cut" I had in 2004 and the subsequent layering "trims." My hair was heavily "shaped" - longer in the back, shorter in the front, with long "side bangs." I might also add that my hair was color/bleach and heat damaged, with severely dry, split ends.

Since coming to LHC I have probably cut off 10 inches or more of hair in small trims. My hair is still layered - that top "volumizing" layer is now at shoulder, and the very longest reaches an inch or so below BSL. My ends are so thin that even a mini elastic won't hold them.

Because the taper/layering is fairly even, chopping it all off won't do me much good. I even took some pics (profile pic) to see if there is a spot at which I could cut and lose the layers and taper, but there isn't. I have tons of new growth, from about chin length up to 1-2 inches long, so my hair won't suddenly get thick from a single cut. And chin length looks TERRIBLE on me.

So I am dealing with it by continuing to trim the very longest layer when it looks ratty. When that layer gets to waist (about 2 more inches!) I will probably trim to maintain it there and allow the longer layers, at least, to catch up. Someday, maybe, my hair will all be close to one length and the ends will be thicker, but I am sure that is a long way off. All I can do is take good care of it and hope my hair doesn't fall out too terribly after my baby is born!

You might also want to look at this thread, "Maintaining for a Blunt Hemline":

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16573&highlight=maintaining+blunt+hemline

scalawaggirl
February 9th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Another hand up to growing out layers here. Well, bad layers, that is. Oh, how I wish I had my old stylist who loved long hair and did outstanding layers...ah well, I don't and that's how I got these terrible ones.

I had to cut 3-4" off at the end of last year to make the hemline look thicker. It was terribly straggly so I made the sacrifice. However, even though the next "layer" is growing out and not as thick as the upper ones, I am not cutting until I get to waist. I will probably maintain there until I get it where I want it; then, I'll move on to tailbone.

At least, that's the plan right now. :) Have to add that there's no way I'd cut it off to APL unless it was severely damaged and even then, probably not. LOL

paper
February 9th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I feel your pain too! I recently got rid of my last layers! :cheese: I wonder how long my hair would be now, if I didn't have to keep trimming off layers. If I would of grew it long, then I would of had to cut back at some point. So, I'm glad there gone now! Never, ever will I get layers again!

Addy
February 9th, 2009, 06:26 AM
I just had my last bit of layering cut off too and I am so happy to finally be rid of them!

I added pics to my album a few weeks ago of how they looked a year ago. You gals are more than welcome to take a peek but I am happy they're gone!!!

I've had good layers but this last time, they were very, very bad and now I'm over them! Good luck to all you gals growing them out. It does take a lot of patience!

mugglemomof3
February 9th, 2009, 06:29 AM
I just cut off the last 2" of my hair on Friday - I think all my layers are GONE now!!! It put me back to BSL, but so far I think it's worth it.

going gray
February 9th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Oh yes, I still have a lot of long layers, suppose it's going to take awhile to grow them out, been getting regular light trims every 8 weeks.

Buggheart
February 9th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I agree that it depends on the hair type. My hair looks like crud unless I have layers so a few weeks ago when I got my last cut I had my stylist add a bunch of layers and I'm soooo much happier with the way my hair looks and moves.

Tap Dancer
February 9th, 2009, 07:09 AM
I got sick of mine, so I cut my hair. It's almost shoulder length and I'm very happy now.

3azza
February 9th, 2009, 07:10 AM
I waited until my hair got longer than waist length so that when i trim it it stays waist length, but i had no idea the hair dreser was layering it. He said that curly hair looks best when layered. The thing is when hair is waist length or longer, layers don't really give it much of a volume. Layering was a great idea when it was shoulder length. The next time i trim it, which is like at least 6 months from now, i'll make sure he does not layer it again.

Oskimosa
February 9th, 2009, 10:03 AM
I'm starting to get a bit sick of mine, mainly because they are deceiving. I look in the mirror and see shoulder-length hair because that's where my layers hit. But when I see pictures of my hair from behind, it's just past APL and looks kindof long. I can't ever see that because of the stupid layers. I think I'd feel like my hair is longer if it weren't for them. Then again, my hair is so ultra mega thick that it'd also be quite heavy. So there's a trade-off there....

Nutty
February 9th, 2009, 10:24 AM
I don't like my layers! I don't know if I should get them all cut to one length (shortest just below chin) and grow a bob down or keep the length (just past shoulders) and keep growing getting a small bit trimmed off every so often untill they catch up?

Periwinkle
February 9th, 2009, 11:21 AM
Mememe!

I've got rid of my bottom layer with monthly trimming, but that means I haven't gained any length in a while. Now I'm trimming every other month to get the last one out. After that, I'll just have shaping to go, but that doesn't bother me as much.

LittleOrca
February 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM
I hate layers personally. I think they can look alright on other people [maybe], but not on me. If you don't want to cut your hair to one length, and I don't blame you, then don't. Wait until you are past goal length and then give it an even cut then, if that is what you are going for. So far, it sounds as though you just have extreme 'Fairytale' ends. ;)

I did that early on in my growling life, cutting my hair all one length from BSL to just under my ears. I hated it at that point, but it got all my hair even with my bangs and I pushed through my "second ugly duck phase" and into the hair I have now, which strangely is in a fairytale shape of its own.

Bene
February 9th, 2009, 12:22 PM
i don't hate layers. i've been pretty lucky about having salon ppl who know what i mean when i ask for "long layers". i just kinda wanna see what my hair is like without them when it's long, which is the only reason i'm growing them out.

Coriander
February 9th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I still have layers going on from having my "boot camp cut" in December 2003. Those aren't as annoying as the bangs I had cut in about a year ago. They're between chin and shoulder now and are very evident.

Woo-hoo for one day having nice even hair! :cheese:

Daoine Sidhe
February 10th, 2009, 09:38 AM
I'm sick of my layers too. My hair is almost BSL (only 1 inch to go:cheese:) but my shortest layer is now just past shoulder length.
Layers looked ok when my hair was shorter, but now it looks just bad. And it makes my ends look thin too.

So I'm going to grow out my layers a little, but not completely. Growing it out completely will take too long. I've allready been growing out damaged hair for almost 3 years now, so I'm getting impatient :p

I hope it will just start to look a bit better if I grow the layers out just a little.

Amara
February 10th, 2009, 09:55 AM
Waist with BSL layers always looks pretty to me, if you don't want to cut so much. But it might really great for you (mentally) to just chop it all to BSL and enjoy the blunt hemline you're wanting.

I have a little layering in the last few inches... I'm not trimming it for now, though. Just living with it. I'm sure by the time I get where I'm going (tailbone? classic?) I'll have trimmed a bit of them... then I'll chop the rest.

may1em
February 10th, 2009, 10:05 AM
In a couple years, I should have all-one-length hair. It'll be nice to do braids that don't fuzz out immediately! Right now I'm mostly maintaining at waist until I can trim the thinner ends away.

Stupid razorcut. "Invisible layers" my rear end.

Nectariness
February 11th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Okay, update on OP! I have had a good hard look and feel of my hair, and the strategy I feel will work for me this year is as follows:

Firstly, lots of Rice Bran oil soaks to tame my wiggly underlayer! (It likes that :) I tried it today, it's sooo shiny! I tried olive oil a lil while ago, but it was fairly indifferent about it. I digress.)

I'm going to keep growing my hair longer, because it's in pretty good condition, and trim off half and inch from my bottom layers every three months until the end of the year (for a total of 2", that's where the worst of the see through layering is). I'll reevaluate at the end of the year, when I should be at hip with layers at bsl/waist.

My guess at what I'll decide is to keep my hair with about 4" of layering for the long term because it's quite wavy - if I don't have a little bit I get the dreaded "triangle hair". That being said, I think I've worn my hair out for about... half a day(!) in the last year or so, so I'll have to have a think about whether there's any point keeping the layering.

What are people's experiences with poofy/wavy hair and totally blunt hemlines?

Aditi
February 11th, 2009, 12:34 AM
I totally agree with you Bene. Even i am growing out layers myself for quiet a long time.

SimplyLonghair
February 11th, 2009, 12:42 AM
I think based on what I have seen with my friends hair, that as long as the hair is oiled or in someway moisturized that it doesn't poof the same way that dried out hair does. It spreads out some, but in a nice way. My for what it is worth, is layered, not because I had some cut, but because of a major shed that I had a while back. It is all growing in and looks like layers all over :bigeyes: But it is nice, I guess, but I miss my one length hair. :shrug: oh well, I not cutting any more since I already cut more than 6 inches off of the ends. So what I have is what I have. I'm okay with that.:D

Katze
February 11th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I think based on what I have seen with my friends hair, that as long as the hair is oiled or in someway moisturized that it doesn't poof the same way that dried out hair does. It spreads out some, but in a nice way.

I'd think the same thing. F, ii hair isn't in danger of the "triangle head", and a blunt hemline does look good on wavy hair. My problem is with the "poof" created by new growth, and I think it will look better with a blunt hemline since as it is, it exaggerates how much thicker my hair is at the roots than the ends.

DecafJane
February 11th, 2009, 04:56 AM
I'm there, too. My hair is in layers because it is growing out from ultra-short, and I HATE the way that it looks shorter from the front, but is APL at the back. :(
I am going to get the layers to BSL this year and then spend some serious time evening them all out before I keep growing longer. Hairdressers scare me, as I think they are all into layers at the moment, so I'll be trimming myself for a bit.
I'm looking forward to getting rid of these darn layers, although the loss of length will be annoying.

bsc
February 11th, 2009, 05:14 AM
Yes, yes! I totally agree with you. Every time I go to hairdresser he/she tries to convince me that with my wavy hair I must wear layers. I have wear them for a long time, long ones but they just make my hair to feel very big and more difficult to care for (you get split ends all the way up of your hair). Also I think my waves look better when they have more lenght to show they shape. I am getting rid of them no matter what the hairdresser says. jajaja

Gingevere
February 11th, 2009, 06:14 AM
I hear you! My old stylist insisted that I needed face-framing layers and I foolishly gave in. Also, whenever I went to that salon, the owner would always come over and rave about my gorgeous red hair and how great it would look with chunky blond highlights. I just stopped going there altogether. :rolleyes:

By now, my shortest layers are almost at shoulder, while most of my hair is approaching BSL... that's quite a difference there! Still, I'm just going to grow them out. When I reach waist, I'll stop and let the shorter layers catch up.

nmarie33
February 11th, 2009, 10:46 AM
I hate my layers right now - they look soooo yucky. I feel like my head looks like a child's drawing of a Christmas tree, if you know what I mean.

I think I'll try to stick to my original goal of not trimming/cutting for 1 year. That will be this July. Then depending on how long my longest layer is at that point, I may start cutting it to let the others catch up.

I just wish my shortest layer would grow longer than my shoulders so it wouldn't poke out of my head at an insane angle!!

hanne jensen
February 13th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I'm growing out layers too. They're so annoying! My longest is about shoulder length and my shortest is at my nape. Ther's a layer somewhere in between. I just got 5 centimeters chopped off to get rid of my longest layer. It was thin and scraggly. I'm going for micro trims until i get to BSL. Then I'll stay there for 3 months micro trimming my layers and 1 centimeter off the bottom. Sooner or later they'll grow out. What irritates me most is I can't put my hair up without a million ends sticking out.

rose_in_bloom
February 13th, 2009, 01:37 PM
YES. I absolutely hate my layers. I'm waiting for my hair to get a few inches longer, and then I can finally cut my hair all one length and still have some length left. I just try to ignore them, for the most part. :)

SweetPea88
February 24th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Uhh, layers...why did I ever think that would be a good idea? They make it look like my hair tapers so much and I hate how they make my braids look.

I've been trimming every month since May and mine are almost gone!

heatherainsley
February 24th, 2009, 08:24 AM
i got layers put in last september i hate them, i am trying to grow them out the shortest layers are under my chin, some are at bsl and the rest of my hair is about 1/4 of an inch from natural waist i will never get them again. They look horrible right now but i dont care and i am not getting my hair trimmed again hopefully to hip.

NiAosSi
February 24th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I am one year into growing out layers. I haven't been really good as far as trimming them out little by little... I might have to trim this week.

annie09
February 24th, 2009, 08:59 AM
yeah so very sick of my layers i hate the fact that i cannot get it in any up do and my braids look like a rat has gnawed the life out of them is so annoying but thats why i am here to be patient and let them grow i suppose but i am feeling your pain too.:justy:

lillerina
February 24th, 2009, 10:25 AM
Getting layers cut in was the dumbest thing I've done to my hair in recent years. I got my hair cut last in November '07 and had layers cut in, with a side fringe. Now my fringe is shoulder length and the bulk of my hair is tailbone length, but the shortest layers are still hovering up there around BSL! Ugh!

It should have been a warning sign to me when the stylist was horrified that I don't straighten my hair every day.

Jessaka
February 24th, 2009, 11:14 AM
Wow, alot of hate towards layers here. I only have front/side layers so I don't hate them as much. I figure I'm just going to try growing them out, and trim when I need to. Not relayering though, especially when I'm trying to get my hair a lil past my butt.