PDA

View Full Version : Strange Article About Sebum And Jojoba Oil

nastasska
February 8th, 2009, 07:18 PM
I found this while looking up Jojoba Oil.What do you think:confused:

Let jojocare go to your head
Natural skin sebum can build on your scalp clogging hair follicles. This can cause scalp conditions like scaling. If this is not cleared, sebum build up can retard hair follicles to the point where they release hair shafts and the follicles may eventually die.

Golden jojoba penetrates fast and deep, loosening and lifting the sebum build up while dissolving the sticky residues from hair products. It leaves your hair and hair follicles clean and clear to function as they should.

Regular massage of the hair and scalp with golden jojoba is refreshing and stimulating for scalp and hair.

ktani
February 8th, 2009, 07:27 PM
I found this while looking up Jojoba Oil.What do you think:confused:

Let jojocare go to your head
Natural skin sebum can build on your scalp clogging hair follicles. This can cause scalp conditions like scaling. If this is not cleared, sebum build up can retard hair follicles to the point where they release hair shafts and the follicles may eventually die.

Golden jojoba penetrates fast and deep, loosening and lifting the sebum build up while dissolving the sticky residues from hair products. It leaves your hair and hair follicles clean and clear to function as they should.

Regular massage of the hair and scalp with golden jojoba is refreshing and stimulating for scalp and hair.

Half truths and hype. Sebum can clog pores. If it were the cause of thinning hair and baldness, shampoo would be a baldness cure. That was and still is hype for some thinning haircare lines.

Jojoba oil is actually a liquid wax and like any oil or wax, it can build-up. It is a nice oil but not a miracle cure for thinning hair either.

spidermom
February 8th, 2009, 07:28 PM
I think it's a load.

EvaSimone
February 8th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Supposedly oil can dissolve oil so maybe it's possible. When my scalp gets flaky I douse it in jojoba oil and its condition improves immensely so it does have benefit for me. I don't know about sebum building up for most people though... SLS shampoos pretty much strip everything so I doubt you'd find too many people in developed nations with sebum build up.

But honestly the author of the passage doesn't sound very scientific. It sounds like one of those foreign products that have labels that make lots of promises without much backing.

nastasska
February 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I think they're trying to get the desperate.It's actually an Australian site this is the full thing

www.jojocare.com.au

KnightsLady
February 9th, 2009, 04:40 AM
From "Good Skin" (Doctors Egger & Molloy, Allen & Unwin)

"Grease can be satisfactorily removed from the skin by dissolving it in another grease which dissolves in water"

The good doctors also mention "detergents are necessary for the removal of the thick, tacky emulsion formed by the mixture of a little grease and excessive sweat."

I use sorbolene, which is effectively using an oil to clean excess oil from my scalp, so it doesn't sound entirely implausable to me. Perhaps the jojoba would be a way of cleaning the hair without using water? Would take some time to get the excess oil out though... sort of like SO/NW

ChloeDharma
February 9th, 2009, 06:33 AM
I oil my scalp before washing partly to dissolve my sebum otherwise it's not removed by washing.
Oils can make very good cleansers and i use oil on my face to deep cleanse. Jojoba is known to be a similar structure to sebum, so is very good at that job. I also wouldn't dismiss the role sebum buildup can play in some forms of hairloss, it's not the only cause.....in fact no one thing actually is, but the reading i've done on the subject does support the importance of keeping the scalp clean.

GlassEyes
February 9th, 2009, 04:48 PM
Sebum can clog pores in the scalp, but the most that'll happen is that your scalp may break out. :shrug: I'm with Spidermom on this one.

Gilly
February 10th, 2009, 12:05 AM
I think they're trying to get the desperate.It's actually an Australian site this is the full thing

www.jojocare.com.au (http://www.jojocare.com.au)

I buy my Jojoba from them, its lovely stuff!!! :cheese:
Very helpful people too which is always a bonus!

nastasska
February 11th, 2009, 03:03 AM
I oil my scalp before washing partly to dissolve my sebum otherwise it's not removed by washing.
Oils can make very good cleansers and i use oil on my face to deep cleanse. Jojoba is known to be a similar structure to sebum, so is very good at that job. I also wouldn't dismiss the role sebum buildup can play in some forms of hairloss, it's not the only cause.....in fact no one thing actually is, but the reading i've done on the subject does support the importance of keeping the scalp clean.

I have the same problem shifting sebum.Do you oil it just before you wash or do you leave it oon for a while?

Gilly I'm always looking for good Jojoba Oil I might try some from them when I need more:)

ChloeDharma
February 11th, 2009, 05:54 AM
I have the same problem shifting sebum.Do you oil it just before you wash or do you leave it oon for a while?

Gilly I'm always looking for good Jojoba Oil I might try some from them when I need more:)

Well i have a bit of a hair oil obsession so most of the time it's smothered in the stuff. But for this purpose i'd oil overnight or say in the morning to wash in the evening. Oil seems easiest to remove when it's had a while to soak in, also i think for dissolving sebum it's best that it's had a while to soften it etc.
I did discover a fantastic way of getting my scalp super clean, i even posted about it a while ago, but i can't for the life of me remember how i did it now.....i do know a vinegar rinse was involved though.

Unicorn
February 15th, 2009, 02:43 AM
Oil definately helps to remove oils. Basically a relatively thin/watery oil blends with a viscous or near solid oil, such as sebum, making it a less viscous consistency therefore easier to remove.

An ex. of mine used to use mayonaise to clean his hands after working on his car engine. He got a hand full of mayonaise and rubbed it into his hands in a washing motion until it was more or less a uniform colour. At this point he used washing up liquid to remove the whole mess. This got rid of the machine oils in a way that going straight to washing up liquid or soap simply didn't.

Unicorn

ktani
March 7th, 2009, 01:01 PM
New information (to me) on jojoba oil, http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=493048&postcount=550

ratgirldjh
March 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM
i found that when i was WO that i would eventually get very waxy hair and scalp and that if i massaged VCO into my scalp and hair and left it on over night and then washed it away with water for several days that when the oil eventually (it takes a few days) is washed away that the waxy feeling would be gone and my hair would be clean for a few weeks.
so oil definitely does dissolve sebum and may even take dirt with it. i have never tried jojoba oil though it is supposed to be more like sebum so i would think that eventually it would build up - because i was trying to remove sebum build up with VCO.

actually, i am starting this method again. when i used to do it my hair was way thicker and wavier - and very healthy and i had virtually NO shedding.