PDA

View Full Version : Protein test

BlndeInDisguise
February 8th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I remember reading about how can pull a shed hair and be able to tell whether you need protein or moisture, but I can't remember how you can tell. Can someone enlighten me, please? :)

plainjanegirl
February 8th, 2009, 04:44 PM
I was looking for that this morning and have had no luck finding it yet.

chrissy-b
February 8th, 2009, 06:02 PM
I SWEAR I just saw that the other day but my search came up with nothing. :( Sorry. I tried, but failed.

Sunshine69
February 8th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I couldn't find it on LHC, but did a google search and found this:
"
Get a wet hair. Pull on it steadily. (Wrap both ends around the index fingers of both hands to make sure it doesn't slip off)
* If the hair stretches, but shrinks when you let go: your hair has enough protein
* If the hair stretches a lot, and does not shrink back, it lacks protein.
* If it breaks, it needs moisture.
* If it seems to stretch and break, then try both protein and moisture treatments.
"
and this from another site:

"
Hair in good condition: Will stretch about 30% of its natural length and return, showing no signs of damage.
Hair low in protein: Will stretch more then 30%, but will not return to normal. The hair is weak.
Hair low in both protein and moisture: Will stretch and break. The hair is very weak.
Hair low in moisture: Will stretch very little or not at all. The hair is hard."
I don't know if that's true or not. I've heard that if hair breaks very easily without stretching, it could also mean you've been using too much protein on your hair.

BlndeInDisguise
February 8th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Thanks Sunshine69! And thank you plainjanegirl and chrissy-b for looking for me! :)

BlackfootHair
February 8th, 2009, 08:43 PM
AH! So it's WET hair I was supposed to be testing. LOL I've always did it on dry hair. lol :) No wonder....I always thought it seemed to stretch fine when wet...but stretched little when dry. hmm... I know what I'll do in the shower tomorrow morning.

plainjanegirl
February 9th, 2009, 02:39 AM
AH! So it's WET hair I was supposed to be testing. LOL I've always did it on dry hair. lol :) No wonder....I always thought it seemed to stretch fine when wet...but stretched little when dry. hmm... I know what I'll do in the shower tomorrow morning.

Oops! I always did it on dry hair too.:poot:

going gray
February 9th, 2009, 07:36 AM
Well looks like I could use some more moisture! Thanks for the great information.

brok3nwings
February 9th, 2009, 08:45 AM
does the hair has to shrink back completly? Cause i tried and the hair stretches and only shrink about half way back...

kdaniels8811
February 9th, 2009, 08:59 AM
I remember reading that post on LHC, I wonder what happenened to it? I looked in articles, too...

Forever_Sophie
February 9th, 2009, 09:16 AM
Thanks, Sunshine69! Interesting. I heard the same thing about too much protein (esp. researching the Aphogee treatments).

karli
February 9th, 2009, 09:56 AM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=44

I think this is the link your looking for!