PDA

View Full Version : Coconut vs. Olive oil vs. other

Debra83
February 8th, 2009, 02:14 PM
I'm using coconut oil and have been satisfied with the results so far. Just wondering if I'm missing out on something better.

Gingevere
February 8th, 2009, 02:31 PM
I recently began using pure, organic jojoba oil, which is light and has very little scent. My dry, sensitive scalp especially loves it. I'm not sure how much it's doing for my brittle ends... only time will tell. I also don't know how it compares to other straight oils, since I haven't tried any yet.

The glossing cream I use after I shower has a lot of olive oil in it, which makes my hair very shiny. I have to be wary of using too much, though; it can make my hair look a tad greasy.

AJoifulNoise
February 8th, 2009, 02:40 PM
99.9% of the time I use coconut oil (refined). The only exception is tea tree oil which I used during a lice scare. My hair actually liked it, but I like coconut best. Before that I tried jojoba, but no matter how little I used my hair looked and felt oily. I put a bit of coconut oil on my ends after washing and by the time my hair dries there's no oily residue. Just silky soft ends.

cobblersmaid
February 8th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I am using olive oil now (and cocoa butter), but that is mostly because we also buy it for cooking, so I save money by not buying a second kind of oil just for my hair. I would say coconut oil is better over all, as it is lighter, and smells nice, but olive oil is nice too. You just have to be careful not to put too much on.

Over all my favourite things to put on my hair oil/butter wise are coconut oil, cocoa butter, and shea butter.

Sissy
February 8th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I use coconut oil most frequently. However, EVOO is quite a treat too when I take the time to do it.

savi
February 8th, 2009, 03:09 PM
I most often use coconut oil, besides that there's a big bunch of other oils that I like. EVOO is too heavy for me.

Elphie
February 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
I use coconut oil most of the time. My ends also liked EVOO but one member showed that it has been lightening his hair so I'm going to discontinue using it, I'd prefer my ends to remain the same color as the rest of my hair.

Eden Iris
February 8th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I use coconut about 2/3 of the time, olive the rest. I seem to use more olive when the air is dry.

tina1025
February 8th, 2009, 05:55 PM
I have never tired olive oil in my hair.
For some reason i shed more with coconut oil....I will have to try it again though...
I love castor oil mixed in with rosemary and nettle essential oil. Thats what i am currently using.

AutumnSky
February 8th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Jojoba is my hands-down favorite....it's the only thing I use on my skin, and my hair loves it too.

Grapeseed works for me as well, and is less expensive than jojoba.

Lately, I've been using a cocoa butter/olive oil blend, and that's REALLY lovely, but the scent of it isn't my favorite (imagine chocolate and olives.....*shudder*)

GlassEyes
February 8th, 2009, 06:34 PM
I use a LOT of oils. XD

My favorite is olive oil, which I used to use then stopped using because I ran out. I recently got a new bottle, and now I KNOW it's my favorite. I use it for deep treatments, to style my hair, and for shine.

I use coconut oil too, usually in combination with olive oil, but it's more useful to me as a 'shine serum' type deal. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure there's an oil my hair DOESN'T like somewhat (the closest would be jojoba, but that's because it's so light), but the denser the better.

I've also used safflower oil (likes it), shea butter (again, likes it, but not as good as olive), cocoa butter (in combination with shea, jojoba, and coconut). Next on my list is castor, which I might try tonight.:hmm:

freznow
February 8th, 2009, 06:35 PM
Jojoba is my hands-down favorite....it's the only thing I use on my skin, and my hair loves it too.

Grapeseed works for me as well, and is less expensive than jojoba.

Lately, I've been using a cocoa butter/olive oil blend, and that's REALLY lovely, but the scent of it isn't my favorite (imagine chocolate and olives.....*shudder*)

^^This for me too, for the most part. (In addition, my skin adores shea, hair not so much.)

Though cocoa butter and jojoba -'jocoba butter'- is MUCH more lovely.

ncurls
February 8th, 2009, 07:53 PM
Coconut oil makes my hair crispy. Olive oil is nice but I have to be careful with application or it can make my hair to oily. I think I like camellia oil best. It absorbs well and makes my hair and skin feel great. :)

rapunzhell13
February 8th, 2009, 07:59 PM
Coconut for light oiling, it makes my hair very soft. :cloud9:

kwaniesiam
February 8th, 2009, 08:00 PM
I like coconut and jojoba for hair, shea butter for skin. My hair isn't picky and doesn't require much oil though, I usually do only a drop or so on the ends once a week if I remember. Maybe when it gets longer that will change, my hair is behaving drastically different now that I no longer have any chemical dye damage to deal with. It used to suck up coconut oil like crazy.

Aditi
February 9th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I use Jawed Habib's Hair oil, it makes my hair soft silky and strong. And it also prevents hair fall and dandruff.

Debra83
February 9th, 2009, 12:38 AM
I use Jawed Habib's Hair oil, it makes my hair soft silky and strong. And it also prevents hair fall and dandruff.

What is the main ingredients in this oil, please?

KnightsLady
February 9th, 2009, 04:08 AM
Coconut oil hands down. Olive is too heavy and almond, apricot or avacado just don't have the same effect. Jojoba might have been an alternative if I didn't break out in a rash while using it (used to use it on skin).

HotRag
February 9th, 2009, 05:01 AM
I use camellia oil and rice bran oil at the moment.
I have also tried sesame oil with good result (but just one time yet).

I have coconut oil and Indian herb oil that is coconut based. But I think my ends get a bit stiff from coconut oil.

Denebi
February 9th, 2009, 05:24 AM
I also use camellia oil.... but I really love coconut! It's great. I use it not only for my hair but also my skin, and it's just wonderful. Nevertheless, I often experiment with other oils, and I also like jojoba, but sooner or later I'm always back to coconut.

Nera
February 9th, 2009, 05:31 AM
They both work for me, but coconot oil smells a lot better!

3azza
February 9th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I use olive oil, because it's more available where i live, we have tons of it in kitchen. I also have a feeling that native people should use native plants and foods, because they are more adapted to that particular environment...It's just a feeling though.

paper
February 9th, 2009, 06:02 AM
I use a little jojoba oil to smooth out frizzys.

Bianca
February 9th, 2009, 06:54 AM
I use coconut oil. Before that I used olive oil, and that worked fine too. I actually think I stopped using it cause it could lighten hair, and I didn't want to lighten my hair back then. Now that i'm stepping away from the box color I guess I can start using it again. Really wanna try jojoba oil too :p

going gray
February 9th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Jojoba oil for me, it actually made my hair feel softer after one use. Used it on hair below my ears & slept with it, didn't stain the pillowcase, washed it out the next morning, terrific stuff.

Les
February 9th, 2009, 12:30 PM
Since I've been oiling (which hasn't been that long, maybe 2 years), I've only ever used jojoba. Maybe when my bottle runs out I'll try something else...

Jiffa Jaffa
February 9th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I voted no oil at all - It may be that I haven't found the right one yet but I have used coconut, olive, apricot kernel, sweet almond, grapeseed and jojoba and I didn't find that any of them did anything particularly amazing! I am having much more success with regular SMT's. It's a shame they don't work for me, as so many people seem to have really good results with them, but hey ho, as long as SMT's continue to work then that's good enough for me!

LittleOrca
February 9th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I usually use coconut oil, but I have put olive oil in my coconut oil on a couple of occasions and it worked out nicely. I'd like to use Jojoba and see how it feels on my hair, but I have yet to find any so far.

Coriander
February 9th, 2009, 01:12 PM
I use coconut oil on my ends and sometimes down the bottom half of length depending on how dry it is outside.

I've never tried olive oil or any other oil, but I think I have almond oil somewhere :hmm:

I also want to try jojoba. I remember using jojoba shampoo when I was a teen and it smelled wonderful.

mooglewoo
February 9th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Coconut for me.
Tried jojoba, EVOO, and almond. My hair likes coconut the best.

ratgirldjh
February 9th, 2009, 02:18 PM
virgin coconut oil is my all time favorite. recently i tried oive oil and was amazed at how much harder it was to get out of my hair. after i finally got all the olive oil out my hair seemed to be much thinner in diameter... i tried jojoba and couldn't tell enough difference unless i put a LOT on. since i use virgin coconut oil on my skin and eat it - i always have it - so it is easy for me to use on my hair. i also use a coconut oil soap to wash my hair with.

Copasetic
February 9th, 2009, 05:39 PM
I have only used coconut oil, and I am very happy with the results.

morguebabe
February 9th, 2009, 06:46 PM
EVOO
Coconut
jojoba
Almond

wintersun99
February 10th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Coconut oil lover. :D

Torrin Paige
February 10th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I use organic coconut oil I bought at the grocery store. It comes in a mason jar and is unscented (I guess from the refining process?). I tried EVOO but found it to be entirely too heavy for my hair. The coconut absorbs well for me. I've always been curious about jojoba...I will probably try some in the future.

Vainjane
February 10th, 2009, 04:18 PM
I use Jojoba Oil in my ends after every wash. I use coconut in the ends if I am putting it up, bun or braid, otherwise it makes my hair look dirty. I am very curious about camillia oil, not sure about the spelling but it is supposed to be good for fine hair.

Debra83
February 11th, 2009, 12:44 AM
I use Jojoba Oil in my ends after every wash. I use coconut in the ends if I am putting it up, bun or braid, otherwise it makes my hair look dirty. I am very curious about camillia oil, not sure about the spelling but it is supposed to be good for fine hair.

I, too, am curious about camellia oil. (not sure about spelling either). I've read that it was used to grow loonnnnnggg hair quickly. Pretty sure that's the one I read about. I'll double check and let you know in an edit.

LHGypsyRose
February 11th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Jojoba for me too:D I use coconut alot also but I have to say that my hair seems to prefer jojoba as it seems lighter in my hair. I also love White Camellia oil in dry weather.

janeytilllie
February 11th, 2009, 11:19 AM
I use coconut oil every day on my ends.

I find coconut oil is lighter than olive oil. I have tried olive oil twice, and both times it left me very greasy hair.

Coconut oil is alot more expensive than olive :(

But I have also tried grapeseede oil. This oil is light and gives me good shine. :D

winter_star
February 12th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Coconut Oil works wonders for my hair. It gives it great shine, moisture and never leaves it oily.

winter_star
February 12th, 2009, 04:03 AM
Oh and since I have been using coconut oil, I have had many compliments that my hair has been looking a lot darker??

I thought it was lighting my hair too, but I guess not.

Nightshade
February 19th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Have you see these (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10437)polls?

There's five dedicated just to oils :)

Oskimosa
February 19th, 2009, 04:45 PM
Avocado oil is best for me. I've tried: coconut, olive, mineral (EW), pistachio butter, and almond butter. There's some others out there I'd like to try, too.

Nocturnal
February 19th, 2009, 08:31 PM
EVOO burns my skin the same way tomato juice does. Virgin coconut oil's smell bothers me and it is not convenient for me to apply it, stays solid at my room temperature so I have to microwave it first. Maybe I'll give refined coconut oil a try when I come across one. I think I like jojoba best, but other oils I've tried (almond, grapeseed and camellia sinesis) were just fine too.
Also Nightshade has done 6 polls with all possible oils, so you might want to check them. :)

Oh, Nightshade is here already. :)

RancheroTheBee
February 19th, 2009, 09:33 PM
I use coconut oil more often, but it doesn't seem to have the lasting effect that olive oil does. The only reason I don't use olive oil is because of the smell. It seems very strong to me, and my cat is also fond of it, leading her to lick my scalp vigorously while I try to sleep. (On the same note, I've found her with her face inside my tub of coconut oil on more than one occasion. I made the mistake of putting some in her fur once; she went completely mad and spent the rest of the day trying to eat the fur on her belly.)

Debra83
February 19th, 2009, 09:59 PM
I use coconut oil more often, but it doesn't seem to have the lasting effect that olive oil does. The only reason I don't use olive oil is because of the smell. It seems very strong to me, and my cat is also fond of it, leading her to lick my scalp vigorously while I try to sleep. (On the same note, I've found her with her face inside my tub of coconut oil on more than one occasion. I made the mistake of putting some in her fur once; she went completely mad and spent the rest of the day trying to eat the fur on her belly.)

:applause lol, ohhh...that is soooooo cute!!!

Debra83
February 19th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Have you see these (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10437)polls?

There's five dedicated just to oils :)

Thanks Nightshade, I'll definitely be checking them out. (ahem..er..cough...cough..I've already ordered some Camellia oil though :o).

Caxikian
February 20th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I use coconut oil most of the time(especially on the ends of my hair) my hair seems to really love the coconut oil but I use a little olive oil.

Forever_Sophie
February 20th, 2009, 10:45 AM
I've used olive oil for years and only in the last month began using coconut. Guess I like it better for the scent...Plus I read about olive oil stripping color (not that I've experienced that, but...).

-Lisa-
February 27th, 2009, 06:27 AM
I don't like olive oil. My hair becomes greasy of it. Coconut oil is the best oil :)

WeyrCat
February 27th, 2009, 11:50 AM
I use no oil, having only recently come to terms with the idea that my hair is dr-damaged, not over-oily. Please PM and explain?

Naava
February 27th, 2009, 12:36 PM
I'm currently using mostly jojoba oil and I'm happy with it. I think I will try coconut next, just to see if it works for me.

I tried canola oil today, since I always have it for cooking, but that was definitely too heavy for me.

Lena43
May 1st, 2009, 02:05 AM
I mostly use Coconut Oil, because that was one of the first oils i tried and i really liked it. Im currently testing Jojoba Oil, and will test other oils, but so far coconut oil works really well.

Furiana
May 1st, 2009, 05:31 PM
Shea butter or cocoa butter. (Coconut oil in cold winters.) I like my oils/butters to be solid at room temperature.

lynnala
May 1st, 2009, 08:48 PM
Let's see, I've tried coconut, grapeseed, camillia, olive, amla oil and shea butter so far. I like coconut by far the best. Still need to try jojoba.

fishwich
May 2nd, 2009, 01:44 AM
Olive oil works the best for me. Makes my hair soft as anything, plus it's quick and easy to get. I love the earthy smell.

Natalia
May 2nd, 2009, 03:06 AM
I love to change. I started with jojoba years ago dont remember much about it other than the typical "i applied to much" disasters :p, then i got coconut only used it for deep oilings so far though (i recently rediscovered it while cleaning and its gotten gritty on me :( ), ive recently recived sweet almond as a gift (adore the scent!) and i have olive and sesame on hand for cooking. I like to blend oils especially since i dont really have to worry about the greasy look (i dont leave the house but once a month or so, long story) so i have fun experimenting :D. Tonight i am going to do shea, olive, and sweet almond since tomorow is most likley a wash day. Im exciting :D!!! Each oil has its own properties/advantages and drawbacks. Like olive gives the best shine of any ive tried thus far but its get greasy fast on my fine hair. Sesame has a nice earthy odor and fairs ALOT better when leaving in heavy oiling ofr long periods (week or two) without getting gunky grimy and casuing tangles but it makes my hair very stringy, i can still get away with updoes though as long as i dont oil my bangs. And well sweet almond i havent tried on hair yet...soon but not yet..... but the scent is incredible! Sorry imr ambling now just though id join in.

Natalia

mira-chan
May 2nd, 2009, 06:09 AM
I voted other oil as I couldn't choose two options. I use coconut oil a lot, especially in the summer. But in the cold months I use sesame based oils. I also use, camellia and avocado oils.

Snowball
May 2nd, 2009, 09:41 AM
I use a mixture of coconut, jojoba and sesam oil. I also tried olive, avocado, macadamia oil and shea butter, but were to heavy for me.

CaityBear
May 2nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
I started with olive oil just because that was what I had easy access to. But then I found coconut oil and fell in love... :)

Nanni
May 3rd, 2009, 05:19 AM
I prefer coconut oil or monoii (coconut with another scent).
Olive oil is way too heavy for my fine hair. It turns it into a greasy mess.
But I still use a tablespoon of olive oil in my hot oil treatment once and a while. I have to use a sls-shampoo to get it out.

Flamelily
May 4th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I dont like Coconut oil on my dry hair - makes my hair feel crackly.
Olive oil doesnt feel like I am pampering myself enough :D
Currently I am using Avocado or Macadamia (alternating weekly) pre-wash and my hair feels great after washing, also they are easy to was out - my hair is fine and some oils just make it feel all sluggegly if that makes sense.:rolleyes:

Exodus
May 5th, 2009, 04:55 AM
No oils in my hair. I just don't like them. Have tried some, but I do better without.

Milui Elenath
May 5th, 2009, 04:58 AM
I use mostly coconut oil now but before I used cold pressed olive oil. I find the coconut a more everyday oil (or 2nd day) as it absorbs easily. Olive oil is better for when I want a bit of oomph as treatment oil. I do feel my hair prefers the olive oil but its just too inconveniently heavy for regular use.

melrose1985
May 5th, 2009, 02:37 PM
Only Coconut oil for me. Mostly because I like the way it smells.

Kaamos
May 5th, 2009, 02:53 PM
Coconut oil is good. I don't like olive oil because of the smell.

My hair also likes:
- Wheat germ oil
- Avocado oil
- Peanut oil
- Sesam oil
- Monoļ oil
- Macadamia oil

It doesn't like jojoba (makes my hair dry).

JamieLeigh
May 6th, 2009, 09:54 AM
I've started out with extra-virgin olive oil, mostly because it's so easy to obtain where I live, and so far I'm pretty happy with it. I only put it near my hemline when I do use it, so the smell of it isn't irritating (since those ends are usually tucked under into a bun). :)

If I chance upon some coconut oil one day I'll buy it and try it out, but as things are working out well with the EVOO, I'm not going to make a special effort to go out of my way for it. If you get what I mean. ;)

lovelygirl8315
May 27th, 2009, 02:12 AM
i use coconut milk, amla, and argane :)

adventuring
May 27th, 2009, 03:47 AM
I use both. I like coconut oil, but my hair loves EVOO. It makes it really soft.

meph
May 27th, 2009, 05:02 AM
I use coconut oil but I also have a bottle of jojoba oil which I sometimes use. I prefer coconut oil for use on a daily basis because it makes my hair softer, it's solid and it smells nice:inlove:. However, for deep oil treatments I use jojoba, and sometimes EVOO.

redneckprincess
May 27th, 2009, 05:51 AM
I use jojoba and placenta sometimes i throw on some evoo for good measuer, Im going to get some coconut oil and maybe some almond oil, if i can ever find it, ive heard a great deal about it and im interested in trying it ♥

Kelsey89
June 22nd, 2009, 07:59 PM
So far I've only used coconut oil.

ratgirldjh
June 22nd, 2009, 08:20 PM
OK after reading this I tried olive oil again - and i wish I hadn't. It is soooo much harder to get out of hair than VCO!!! And this time I only used a tiny bit - it has been 2 or 3 hair washings with poo bars and one with conditioner and my hair still looks coated...

For me VCO and even better coconut milk is WAY easier to wash out and makes my hair happier.

wackyredtangles
June 22nd, 2009, 08:37 PM
I use coconut oil. I've never tried EVOO, and I have such great results with coconut I doubt I'll try. EVOO seems like it would be a bit heavy. I've also tried sweet almond oil, which I didn't like at all on my hair. I used to use jojoba, but I don't remember getting results any better than with coconut so I doubt I'll try it.

I think coconut oil might be lightening my hair a bit, but I'm not sure. It might just be the henna fading. There used to be a clear to me at least line between my roots and the henna (natural redhead anyways, but my virgin hair is lighter and has a bit of a brown tint to it), and now its just barely noticeable.

GoatLady
December 9th, 2022, 08:42 AM
I use a combo of oils but never coconut oil.

mochichichi
December 9th, 2022, 08:46 AM
EVOO my beloved.
I'm allergic to coconut now, but before that I tried it and it made my hair crunchy and awfully greasy no matter how little I used. I love EVOO with a passion--I use it as a pre-poo, DT, and also daily oil.

cherrymerry
December 9th, 2022, 11:56 AM
The only oil my hair has ever really liked is grapeseed oil. unfortunately coconut and olive oil are too heavy

Fiorentina
December 10th, 2022, 08:30 AM
I use mostly a different oil: almond oil.