PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have to do their roots once a month?

newport
February 8th, 2009, 01:22 PM
I choose not to be grey- my hair is about 95% grey- so I color my roots about every three weeks- I color a dark ash blond. I do not run the color through my hair- just color the roots. It is a pain and takes a whole box of color to just part the hair and paint the color on the grey.

florenonite
February 8th, 2009, 01:46 PM
I don't colour my hair, but as hair grows on average 1/2" a month, it stands to reason that most people, unless the colour they use is similar to their natural colour, have to do the roots at least monthly. Why do you need to use the whole box, though? I'm a bit bemused, as the box should do reasonably long (by society's standards :o) hair of moderate thickness, and there's no way you can have that much hair on your roots.

harley mama
February 8th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Yup, I should touch up about once month. I am fighting the advancing gray, too. :D

Elphie
February 8th, 2009, 03:03 PM
I think the OP needs the whole box because you can't save the dye. You use what you need and the rest gets tossed.

Curlsgirl
February 8th, 2009, 05:14 PM
If you use the kind you mix together from Sally's you can use half the box and save the rest. I have very thick hair and usually used half when I used to do my own hair. And yeah, usually every 3 weeks for me.

banglaminerva
February 8th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Once a month for me too. I use a box too and there are 2 bottles that need to be mixed in a 1:1 ratio. I just pour the same amount of each liquid into a separate squeeze bottle and that way one box lasts me a few months.

susiemw
February 8th, 2009, 05:37 PM
I needed to do mine every 3 weeks but I stopped last september and am letting it go natural. So far, I don't miss it coloring it!

susan

Tap Dancer
February 8th, 2009, 06:11 PM
I color my roots every 4 weeks. Like you, I only do the roots. Once a year I do all-over color to freshen it up because the sun fades my hair.

spidermom
February 8th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I'm glad I like my silvery hairs because once a month would be too much maintenance for me.

HairColoredHair
February 8th, 2009, 07:21 PM
I do my roots once a month or every two months with henna... I don't mind the roots and I can freeze the rest of the henna.

rymorg2
February 8th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I'm a stylist....once a month is average for needing color. 4-6 weeks is actually the average. Some need it faster, some less.

Fwiw, I usually go about 4-6 weeks though I try to push it to 8 because I have chemical sensitivities.

Katze
February 9th, 2009, 01:35 AM
I used to; I'm bleach and dye free since 2006. :)

One thing I used to do is just mix up enough for roots, streaks, etc. and then save the rest. If a box of light ash blonde hair color costs, let's say, 15 dollars, you can use it at least twice (I used it 3-4 times for streaks and still had something left over).

However, if you truly want long hair, it's probably better to go to a salon where they respect and listen to your wishes, and do only the roots. I remember trying to do my own roots and how much of a pain it was! That is assuming, of course, that this extra cost isn't too much of a burden...

3azza
February 9th, 2009, 06:35 AM
I have a few greys in the wrong place, very superficial and they pop out of the rest of my hair. I use henna every two months and that makes them reddish while my hair is dark brown/auburn. However i don't just do the roots, and it's frustrating sometimes but i feel good afterwards. I guess i just have to get used to it more and more

paper
February 9th, 2009, 06:42 AM
I decided few months ago to go natural! :cheese: I used to touch up my roots every 2-3 months. The grays are what got me to touch up not the color. My roots and natural color took on a chestnut brown look, that I liked. I mixed my own from Sallys too, and used a whole bottle.

going gray
February 9th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Same here my roots are done once a month & the color is not pulled through.

Rimi
February 9th, 2009, 10:49 AM
I choose not to be grey- my hair is about 95% grey- so I color my roots about every three weeks- I color a dark ash blond. I do not run the color through my hair- just color the roots. It is a pain and takes a whole box of color to just part the hair and paint the color on the grey.

Are you using bobble pointer to apply? You might want to get a brush to applyng (find at Sallys) and bowl just for this purpose. I've decided to quit coloring, but that's how I was doing it to just tackle the roots and I wouldn't use the whole thing. Hope that helps.

longinthehair
February 9th, 2009, 11:02 AM
Yup, I lighten my roots every 3 weeks. Mix up the amt. I need..just a routine now..which sometimes varies in time span, which can change just slightly because of special functions to attend, etc.

CopperHead
February 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM
I'm a once a month person too. I have been using henna but am going back to ION haircolor. I just can't get the color I want and am tired of two toned hair. ION is very gentle and smells great so I have no problem using it again. When my white shows, it is time to touch up the roots. ;)

StarShine
February 11th, 2009, 07:58 AM
I have to henna at least every month, every 2 or 3 weeks ideally. At the month mark I have around an inch to an inch and a half of new growth. Henna doesn't drastically change my hair color so it isn't that noticeable. But more importantly, I have to henna every month because it makes my dandruff go away as well as some kind of psoriasis I have on my scalp. It has to be a mostly mud mix, a henna gloss with conditioner doesn't cut it.

I definitely wouldn't feel bad about once a month touchups. For me it's a PITA, but I figure if I have to do a scalp treatment monthly anyway, I may as well have a change in hair color.

scalawaggirl
February 11th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Yes, I have to touch up roots once a month. My hair grows fast - about 1-1.5" a month depending on my routine (vitamins, etc.). Lately, it's been 1", though, and probably due to winter.

I'm about to mix up more henna and will freeze it for roots and glosses. Gotta get on that.