PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Side-Swept Fringe

florenonite
February 8th, 2009, 09:11 AM
I'm seriously considering getting a side-swept fringe again, because I really liked the way it looked on me. The pros of the fringe are that it really suits my face shape, and therefore makes me feel prettier (and what's the point in long hair if it makes me feel ugly because I have a long face?); I kind of want a change, as I've been growing for about a year-and-a-half, and the fringe will make my hair seem different without me cutting any of the rest of it;and because it's angled, it's not too painful to grow out should I decide to do so. The cons are that my hair lacks the fairytale quality of hair without a fringe; it does take time to grow out; it might need washed more often; and the cost of going to a hairdresser just to get a fringe cut in.

Now, because of the last con (the others don't really seem that major to me) I want to do it myself rather than going to get it done. I figure if I cut a long one first, if I get it wonky I can keep it tucked behind my ears. If I get it straight, I can gradually make it shorter until I get to the length I want.

I found this (http://www.expertvillage.com/video/57954_women-hair-side-swept.htm) video for cutting side-swept bangs, and was wondering if any of you have opinions on it, better videos, or would like to share your techniques or information for me to remember before doing this.

I will, of course, observe the two-week rule before actually cutting anything.

spidermom
February 8th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Very interesting, but I wouldn't go back so far onto the top of the head. That's a really thick chunk he cut. I'd start with less, you can always cut more.

florenonite
February 8th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Very interesting, but I wouldn't go back so far onto the top of the head. That's a really thick chunk he cut. I'd start with less, you can always cut more.

Yeah, I don't want it that far back, either. I have some pictures from last time I had this fringe that I don't want to post, as they show my face (and it would be difficult to edit that out without obscuring the fringe) that I intend to use as a bit of a guide for where to cut.

Heidi_234
February 8th, 2009, 10:07 AM
I cut and maintained my own fringe for a long time (I decided to grow it out finally, fringe in a curly hair is such a PITA).
Take as little hair from the front as possible, you can always cut more later and you don't want fringe that is inches deep behind your hairline (unless otherwise it's too thin). Start with cutting it longer than you think you should, have it for a couple of days and then decide if you want/need to cut it shorter. Remember that you can always cut more in a matter of minutes, but you'll have to wait forever for it to grow back. Also applies to how wide you want to make it, start with less than necessary in the middle, and work your way to the sides, slowly!
Take your time, cut little by little, take few days to estimate and evaluate your fringe then decide if you need to correct something. Be cautious, you can't un-cut your hair!
And yes, have the two weeks to decide if you really want this.

florenonite
February 10th, 2009, 10:39 AM
Today I had to keep myself from cutting when I got home from my lectures, because I'm still certain it's what I want to do. I am a bit nervous about doing it myself, but I do think I can manage it.

scalawaggirl
February 10th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I also agree that it goes quite far back but it looks like a solid method to me. Recently, I cut fringe but it is way to short for my taste. I'm growing it back out and will follow this when it's longer so I can have some fringe, if I want, or pull it back with a barrette or behind my ear.

Amara
February 10th, 2009, 02:37 PM
That looks like as good a method as any I've seen or used.

My advice is not only to cut long at first, but also to cut less hair (a smaller chunk) at first. Let it sit for a few hours/days, play with it, etc, then cut more as needed.

florenonite
February 10th, 2009, 02:47 PM
That looks like as good a method as any I've seen or used.

My advice is not only to cut long at first, but also to cut less hair (a smaller chunk) at first. Let it sit for a few hours/days, play with it, etc, then cut more as needed.

Yeah, I don't want a thick fringe, so I won't cut too much.