PDA

View Full Version : clarifying with baking soda + conditioner

cutastrophe
March 29th, 2008, 12:44 PM
I clarified my hair the other day with a bunch of baking soda mixed with some diluted aubrey organics shampoo. This particular shampoo is super moisturizing and doesn't even really work like a shampoo, more like a conditioner, and it caused a lot of buildup when used on its own. But combined with the baking soda it made my hair super shiny and clean without drying it out. A first for me! lol

:cheese:

So, now I'm all out of this shampoo and I was wondering if the same effect could be had with mixing a good cone free conditioner (like giovanni brand) and baking soda. Anyone use that combo to clarify or as your "shampoo"? Seems like it would be a happy medium between COing and only using baking soda and vinegar. I have yet to find a shampoo that doesn't cause either dryness or buildup and if I could avoid wasting any more money on them that would be great. ;)

Nynaeve
March 29th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I clarified my hair the other day with a bunch of baking soda mixed with some diluted aubrey organics shampoo. This particular shampoo is super moisturizing and doesn't even really work like a shampoo, more like a conditioner, and it caused a lot of buildup when used on its own. But combined with the baking soda it made my hair super shiny and clean without drying it out. A first for me! lol

So, now I'm all out of this shampoo and I was wondering if the same effect could be had with mixing a good cone free conditioner (like giovanni brand) and baking soda. Anyone use that combo to clarify or as your "shampoo"? Seems like it would be a happy medium between COing and only using baking soda and vinegar. I have yet to find a shampoo that doesn't cause either dryness or buildup and if I could avoid wasting any more money on them that would be great. ;)

I've heard of a lot of ladies using their baking soda in their conditioners.

I haven't had any soda in the house for a while, so I haven't been able to try it yet (I CO), but there are several women on the boards who do that.

girlcat36
March 29th, 2008, 07:59 PM
Never thought of using it in CO. I mix it with water and pour it over my head, my hair seems to like baking soda, even though I hear it could be potentially damaging. It makes my hair curlier.

Mahars
March 30th, 2008, 12:55 AM
I clarified my hair the other day with a bunch of baking soda mixed with some diluted aubrey organics shampoo. This particular shampoo is super moisturizing and doesn't even really work like a shampoo, more like a conditioner, and it caused a lot of buildup when used on its own. But combined with the baking soda it made my hair super shiny and clean without drying it out. A first for me! lolwasting any more money on them that would be great. ;)

Sorry if this is a hijack, but I am very intrigued by this. All of the Aubrey shampoos I've tried have turned my hair to straw. I really want to find one that moisturizes because the ingredients are so good. Could you tell me which Aubrey shampoo you're referring to?

Liluri
March 30th, 2008, 01:28 AM
I've tried it and liked the results with one conditioner and didn't like the other conditioner results. Both conditioners were end of line ones so I'm going to try out some other no cone conditioners

cutastrophe
March 30th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Sorry if this is a hijack, but I am very intrigued by this. All of the Aubrey shampoos I've tried have turned my hair to straw. I really want to find one that moisturizes because the ingredients are so good. Could you tell me which Aubrey shampoo you're referring to?

It was the White Camellia Smoothing shampoo.

Mahars
March 30th, 2008, 10:26 AM
Oh ok thanks. I'll give it a try.

squiggyflop
March 30th, 2008, 08:25 PM
baking soda with conditioner... hmmm i think ill try that... would it work with say Vo5?? i dont have money for expensive brands

florenonite
April 22nd, 2008, 03:15 AM
What was your ratio of BS:conditioner?

cutastrophe
April 29th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I finally tried it yesterday and the results were good. I used roughly equal parts conditioner and baking soda and applied to both scalp and length. Oh, I also did a vinegar rinse. Then I conditioned again and rinsed. I used two different Giovanni conditioners, a 'light' conditioner to clean with and a heavy condtioner after. I can't believe it, but my hair did come out very clean and shiny. I'm going to do this again next time I wash.

cutastrophe
April 29th, 2008, 05:03 PM
baking soda with conditioner... hmmm i think ill try that... would it work with say Vo5?? i dont have money for expensive brands

yeah I think it would just fine

Riot Crrl
April 29th, 2008, 05:19 PM
I fear baking soda, lol. But yeah if you like it you can totally mix it in CO instead of shampoo. And the Vo5 are loved by many for CO washing.

If you have certain cones in your hair, it will not be sufficient to get them out. Probably stuff like mineral oil will be somewhat impervious too. But if you don't have those things, then awesome.