PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use talc, to get an extra NW day?

Heavenly Locks
February 8th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I have been trying to reduce my washes to once a week instead of twice and if I get a serious case of the itchies or greasy head...a puff of talc really does help. If I'puff' the powder into my roots very lightly by using the air in the powder bottle (or use a powder brush) it absorbs a lot of the oil, adds a fresher scent and really makes my hair look a lot fluffier and cleaner.

I haven't had any negative effects like dryness, or buildup. Let's say I wash on a Sunday...by Thursday I'm getting yucky...Friday morning I talc and Sunday I CWC again. It's working well for me to reduce the amount of washing.

Is it just me who's done this? Anything I might be missing or messing up heinously?

desertrose
February 8th, 2009, 08:40 AM
I do it all the time... it also helped me to wash less

Copasetic
February 8th, 2009, 08:49 AM
I've never tried it, but I am definitely going to. I want to cut down on how much I wash my hair, but the greasy-ness makes me self-conscious after a while.

Carolyn
February 8th, 2009, 08:55 AM
I used to do it back in my college days when I didn't make it up in time to wash my hair before an early class. I remember wondering if people could tell as my hair didn't have any shine at the roots. I don't think it hurts anything. People use talcum powder on their skin all the time so I don't know how it could hurt your scalp or your hair. It sounds like you are washing it out in a couple days so it's not on your hair all that long.

LadyLongLocks
February 8th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Yes I do this once in a while but try not to do it more than a few times a year. It does work pretty well in a pinch.
There was a similar thread about this, or it was mentioned someplace at LHC.

spidermom
February 8th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Nope, never have, never will.

David's Bride
February 8th, 2009, 12:16 PM
Yes, I do this, but I changed from talc to Johnson and Johnson cornstarch formula. This is supposed to be better for your scalp than talc. I do this on my last NW day which for me is the third day. HTH!

akurah
February 8th, 2009, 12:31 PM
I tried it, and just made my scalp look dusty.

Gothic Lolita
February 8th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Could one also use Baby powder from Johnson and Johnson? Or is it the same thing, just sold under a different name?

Teacherbear
February 8th, 2009, 12:46 PM
I use to do it when I was in middle school. I didn't always brush it in really well and sometimes people would notice. It was embarassing.

I used plain ol' baby powder.

carloota
February 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I used to use baby powder. Then I noticed SeaPhoenix posted a recipe for a dry shampoo. I made up my own batch and now use this instead.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15970

It works great on my dark hair. :)

rags
February 8th, 2009, 01:39 PM
I have done this maybe once or twice a year, when I'm sick or something and just can't wash my hair. I use cornstarch though. If I use talc or baby powder, I can never get it all back out! The cornstarch comes out easier for me.

florenonite
February 8th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I've contemplated this, and I've heard you can use arrowroot powder, too, which I have from a homemade deodorant I made. Does it need to be done outside? Because that would put me off (a) because it's cold and (b) because my flatmates would give me funny looks; they think it's strange enough that I use vinegar in my hair :o

Heavenly Locks
February 8th, 2009, 07:24 PM
I tried it, and just made my scalp look dusty.

I've made that mistake too. For me it was because too much powder puffed out and kind of all landed in one spot. Eep! If I use a powder brush, I get more control.

Could one also use Baby powder from Johnson and Johnson? Or is it the same thing, just sold under a different name?

That's what I use. I just called it talc :) Baby powder/talc same to me!

I've contemplated this, and I've heard you can use arrowroot powder, too, which I have from a homemade deodorant I made. Does it need to be done outside? Because that would put me off (a) because it's cold and (b) because my flatmates would give me funny looks; they think it's strange enough that I use vinegar in my hair :o

I don't do it outside. I just do it over the sink in the bathroom. I either tap some powder onto the corner of the sink and pick up a little at a time with a powder brush. Or I use the 'direct poof' method. Right out of the shaker bottle. I shake it up (lid closed!) to get some air in the particles and then I open the lid and squeeze the bottle to make the powder come puffing out.

I do it at the temples, under my bangs, and then I make a few parts in my hair and get some in there. Just at my roots all over as best I can. If there is any left over on the corner of the sink top, I rinse it down when I'm done or hubby gets annoyed that he's stuck his hand in powder...again. LOL

BubbleDragon
February 8th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Johnson & Johnson's baby powder is actually corn starch. Talc is a hotly contested potential carcinogen. Usually only the off brand baby powders are actually talc.

I've tried both talc and corn starch/baby powder in my hair and it just makes it all worse by the time I get it rubbed in and then brushed out. I'm better off just brushing it into a tight pony tail, as you can tell the stringy greasiness more prominently when it's down and loose, and not so much pulled back.