PDA

View Full Version : Heavy Oiling Observation

Dolly
February 7th, 2009, 04:20 PM
OK, so I made a bit of a discovery last week, and I feel compelled to share.....it's not a problem, because I know the solution......it is just an observation.....

My routine (if you can call it that)......I wash at least my scalp every day with CV shampoo bars (I let the lather run down the length), and then wash the length thoroughly about once or twice a week (I workout every day, and wear my hair down a lot, and it gets dirty easily). I usually follow my CV wash with condish (cone or no-cone) and then vinegar rinse, followed by cool water. My hair needs the protection of cones, so if my shower condish is no-cone, I will usually use Aussie leave-in when I comb it out. I clarify with Suave clarifying when my ends start doing the velcro thing, and try to regularly S & D.

I have been doing heavy overnight oilings (with unrefined coconut oil) since I became active here at LHC, and it has really helped my hair.....seems to have made it stronger....I do it at least once a week...sometimes 2-3 times. I know some people have gotten crunchy hair from oiling dry, but my hair seems to benefit, whether it is dry or damp when I oil.

BUT, the one thing that I noticed is this......if I oil when my hair is dry, the next day, the oil washes out very easily, either with a CO or a CWC with the "W" being a shampoo bar (it doesn't come out as easily if I use the shampoo bar without using the condish first). If I oil when my hair is damp or wet, I almost cannot get it out of my hair the next day......no matter whether I CO, CWC, or whatever. I have even done 4-5 thorough lathers with the shampoo bar to try to get it out, but to no avail....it always takes two days' worth of shampoos to get it out.

Has anybody else noticed this, or is my hair just strange?

Chanteuse87
February 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Well, I've just started oiling with almond oil -- I'll apply it damp out of the shower, or sometimes dry if I have enough time to let my hair dry. For day, I only apply a few drops of oil to the ends, but at night I'll oil heavily and braid my hair. I switch between CO and CWC every day (I'm trying to get my grease production down slowly, hopefully moving to only CO by the end of the month and then cutting back on frequency). Even when I just CO I haven't noticed any problem getting the oil out. Of course, when I use shampoo I'm using diluted Suave, so I still have sulfates going for me. Maybe that makes the difference?

spidermom
February 7th, 2009, 06:28 PM
Oil seems to come out of my hair really easily whether or not it was applied to wet or dry hair.

Curlsgirl
February 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
It comes out easily both ways for me too.

eaglefeather71
February 7th, 2009, 06:48 PM
Oil hangs on to my hair whether applied wet or dry.

Ash
February 7th, 2009, 09:14 PM
Mine is the opposite. Back when I oiled on dry hair, I never got it out, which probably contributed to the crispy dry hair I ended up with when I stopped oiling for a while. Now I only oil on damp hair (with a lot of oil), and it comes out easily with a CWC in the morning.

Melisande
February 7th, 2009, 11:09 PM
I prefer dry oiling to damp oiling for heavy oilings, and I use either coconut or olive oil. It washes out easily with conditioner and diluted shampoo. I never had a problem with it.

I feel, like you, that deep oilings have strengthened my hair. By now, I'm really addicted to the feeling and oiling my hair heavily even helps me to relax when a headache is coming on. I simply relish the feeling, and my get all the nicer from it.

RedFrizz
February 8th, 2009, 01:21 AM
BUT, the one thing that I noticed is this......if I oil when my hair is dry, the next day, the oil washes out very easily, either with a CO or a CWC with the "W" being a shampoo bar (it doesn't come out as easily if I use the shampoo bar without using the condish first). If I oil when my hair is damp or wet, I almost cannot get it out of my hair the next day......no matter whether I CO, CWC, or whatever. I have even done 4-5 thorough lathers with the shampoo bar to try to get it out, but to no avail....it always takes two days' worth of shampoos to get it out.

Has anybody else noticed this, or is my hair just strange?

My hair is exactly like yours in this matter; if I oil when my hair is damp and leave it over night there's no way I can get the oil out of my hair the next morning. I've tried this a couple of times and I always ended up having noticeably oily hair to cope with at work.. Not nice especially when meeting with clients :cool: