PDA

View Full Version : Your Strangest Hair Experience

LittleOrca
February 7th, 2009, 12:46 PM
Have you ever had a strange experience with your hair? What I mean is has someone acted in a way that was just strange to your hair being so long or getting long? This goes beyond the typical "Ooohs!" and "Cut your hair, you hippy!" comments and admirations.

I was once at a buffet with my family and while I was getting some salad, this old, short woman just starts petting me like I was one of her cats! :shrug: She told me it was so lovely, and so soft, and she admired it so much and she just... kept... petting. I didn't have the heart to tell her to not touch me; she was very old and very sweet, but it has always remained as one of those weird hair experiences.:p

Fluke
February 7th, 2009, 12:53 PM
I have another one, but not related to long hair, so I don't know if it counts, heheh..
As a girl who's had super short hair for 10+ years I've had a surprising amount of different acquaintances who after some time of knowing me has suddenly ruffled my hair... Like, REALLY messed it up. And usually followed up by saying how long they've wanted to do that and how good it felt.
This usually happens when alcohol is involved and we're both falling over laughing afterwards :D

LittleOrca
February 7th, 2009, 12:56 PM
I have another one, but not related to long hair, so I don't know if it counts, heheh..
As a girl who's had super short hair for 10+ years I've had a surprising amount of different acquaintances who's after some time of knowing me has suddenly ruffled my hair... Like, REALLY messed it up. And usually followed up by saying how long they've wanted to to that and how good that felt.
This usually happens when alcohol is involved and we're both falling over laughing afterwards :D

Lol! That works too! :) I remember ruffling my friends' hair when they got it short, but they were usually guys. When I cropped or "butched" my hair in ... I want to say 4th grade, I did get some of that too so Karma finally caught up with me!:D

Fluke
February 7th, 2009, 12:59 PM
Ah, cr@p, I hate it when someone manages to quote me before I get all my typos cleaned up!! :lol:
Hijack, sorry.. :)

CrystalStar
February 7th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Heehee I havn't had any as bad as you two's :) , but I once had a teacher pick up my ponytail mutter 'very nice..' then carry on. This was a guy teacher so I was a little like 'huh?!' :p

FallenAngel
February 7th, 2009, 01:04 PM
The most unpleasant experience I had when I was about 17. I was a punk girl at the time, with VERY purple or red hair. I was at a swedish festival, known for figths between skinheads and punks. (This was 1992). The skins often picked fights, and many of my friends had been beaten by them.

I sat on the grass with a friend of mine, and three skins came and sat down with us. In the beginning they were... well... teasing us about our appearence, but they were nice. A little drunk and loud, but nice. Then one of them, the obvoius "leader", fixed his eyes in mine and said very serious "I like girls with their natural hair colour. Did you parents have purple hair?"

It migth not sound so bad, but trust me, it was. I was very afraid... We got up on our feet and left, and luckily they did not follow. (That same festival a skin stole my food, right out of my hands. I dind't dare to do anything... You got your ass kicked, severly, if you messed with the skins. )

LittleOrca
February 7th, 2009, 01:11 PM
Eww, I'm sorry that happened FallenAngel. I am glad you had the sense to let them just be jerks and not get agitated and saved yourself from something worse than stolen food.

FallenAngel
February 7th, 2009, 01:17 PM
LittleOrca - Oh, that was okay. Been through worse :D But, as hair experience that is probably my worst. But dealing with people who tries to pick figths with walking away has been a life saver. :cool:

Xandergrammy
February 7th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Here is my Strangest Hair Story. It happened a long time ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday. It was about 36 years ago- 1972/73. One of my boyfriend's friends who had moved away to live in the mountains of New Hampshire was getting married. We drove up there and all the wedding guests camped out on the property. There was no tub or shower, so all of us (about 20 or so), on the morning of the wedding, went to the lake to bathe. We got all nice and clean and went back to the house for the wedding, which was outside with the mountains as a backdrop. Beautiful. Well, one of the wedding guests gifted the newlywed couple with a goat. I was sitting on the porch eating when all of a sudden, I felt a really odd tugging sensation . At that moment, my boyfriend says "The goat's eating your hair". Sure enough, this goat had my waistlength hair in his mouth (and down his throat??) up to my ears. Tyler was able to remove my hair from the goat intact, but you have never smelled such a stinky mess in your life! (and all I could do was rinse it with whatever water was handy because there was no running water and the lake was too far away!!). I make sure to stay away from goats now.

Fluke
February 7th, 2009, 05:28 PM
Xandergrammy, that is positively THE weirdest hair story I have ever heard..... :lol: Fantastic!!

rags
February 7th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Here is my Strangest Hair Story. It happened a long time ago, but I remember it like it was yesterday. It was about 36 years ago- 1972/73. One of my boyfriend's friends who had moved away to live in the mountains of New Hampshire was getting married. We drove up there and all the wedding guests camped out on the property. There was no tub or shower, so all of us (about 20 or so), on the morning of the wedding, went to the lake to bathe. We got all nice and clean and went back to the house for the wedding, which was outside with the mountains as a backdrop. Beautiful. Well, one of the wedding guests gifted the newlywed couple with a goat. I was sitting on the porch eating when all of a sudden, I felt a really odd tugging sensation . At that moment, my boyfriend says "The goat's eating your hair". Sure enough, this goat had my waistlength hair in his mouth (and down his throat??) up to my ears. Tyler was able to remove my hair from the goat intact, but you have never smelled such a stinky mess in your life! (and all I could do was rinse it with whatever water was handy because there was no running water and the lake was too far away!!). I make sure to stay away from goats now.

:shocked: :rollin:

Akiko
February 7th, 2009, 05:58 PM
Xandergrammy, amazing story! Was hair OK? I mean other than slimy guck and stinky hair, did your hair come out of, errrr, the goat's throat without being chewed off?

LittleOrca
February 7th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Xandergrammy, lol. Wow! That is crazy! I guess the goat knows good stuff when he sees it!

JamieLeigh
February 7th, 2009, 08:23 PM
I was once stalked by one of the stock-boys at WalMart. It was really weird...I was shopping in the electronics section, and he comes by with a wheeled cart and stops and says, "Your hair is so beautiful." I smiled and thanked him, but kept shopping.

About 5 minutes later, I was browsing the craft section. Same guy. Same cart. "Are you ever going to cut it? Because I was going to tell you, if you ever cut it, that would be a mistake." I smiled again and assured him I would never cut a great deal of it off, and went back to looking at ribbon.

5 minutes later. Same guy. Same cart. Produce section. "I bet your boyfriend really REALLY loves your hair. It's just so pretty!" I assured him that my EX-MARINE, SUPER-STRONG, QUICK-TEMPERED HUSBAND enjoys my hair thoroughly, and made my exit with no further hassle.

Honestly. It's nice to be admired, but it just makes me feel weird and jumpy to be stalked. :mad:

spidermom
February 7th, 2009, 08:34 PM
One day when my hair was shorter than it is now, I felt something tickling my thigh. It was one of my hairs, which had to be a shed hair to be on my thigh. So I reached down to pluck it off, but I could feel the pulling at my scalp. So for a moment I thought "how could one hair be so much longer than the rest of my hair?" Then I realized that it was a shed hair knotted to the bottom of a hair still attached to my scalp. I felt so stupid!

DiyaC
February 7th, 2009, 10:06 PM
Xandergammy,

O my gosh! :eek::eek::grin:

Feline
February 7th, 2009, 10:30 PM
DH and I went to a Star Trek convention once (yes, we are Trekkies ;) ) and some guy claiming to be from some Pennsylvania newspaper I'd never heard of before or since absolutely insisted on taking my picture "for the paper". I was wearing a homemade version of the Original Series uniform (ie, the short dress), and he had me pose with my hair hanging over my shoulder in spite of my protestations that that was not proper to the costume. He did have press credentials, so he wasn't just some random creep. Usually, media types at cons tend to head right for the weirdest-looking or most underdressed attendee. If he was looking for weird, there was a whole platoon of Klingons attending. Guess I looked less threatening...

vampodrama
February 8th, 2009, 01:16 AM
once upon a time I used to have bright fuchsia pink hair. so me and my hair were just standing in the busstop, waiting for a bus, when a very drunk older man tapped me on my shoulder and gave me a rather lengthy lecture about how he appreciates my courage ("yannow, I might not approooove shtuff like that, but I shurely think you are a verrryyyyy gutsy young lady. and I'm realllly sorry. I didn't want to disturb you at all. I'm sorry. but I had to say it. now I've said it. g'bye.")

RancheroTheBee
February 8th, 2009, 01:43 AM
I had many, many elderly women touch my head after I got it buzzed and dyed it pink.

"I'd love to do this to my hair," one remarked.

Haha. I told her to go for it.

Fluke
February 8th, 2009, 04:03 AM
once upon a time I used to have bright fuchsia pink hair. so me and my hair were just standing in the busstop, waiting for a bus, when a very drunk older man tapped me on my shoulder and gave me a rather lengthy lecture about how he appreciates my courage ("yannow, I might not approooove shtuff like that, but I shurely think you are a verrryyyyy gutsy young lady. and I'm realllly sorry. I didn't want to disturb you at all. I'm sorry. but I had to say it. now I've said it. g'bye.")

I had many, many elderly women touch my head after I got it buzzed and dyed it pink.

This reminds me of when I had my hair short, but not buzzed, and colored bright turquoise-blue. At the time I was working for a cleaning company. I'm not sure about the proper translation for the work title, but the county hired my company to clean the homes of people entitled to it either because of age or illness. Most of the people we went to were little old ladies.
I thought maybe my hair would give all these old ladies a heart attack when they opened the door, but it turned out I was very popular. Soon many of the clients asked specifically for "the sweet young lady with the blue hair" :lol:

FallenAngel
February 8th, 2009, 04:16 AM
I assured him that my EX-MARINE, SUPER-STRONG, QUICK-TEMPERED HUSBAND enjoys my hair thoroughly, and made my exit with no further hassle.

Now, that's the way go! :) I'm sure he will never forget you, ever. Great hair, great line!

Xandermommy - :blueeek: Ouch!

Vampodrama and RancheroTheBee - That is just cute.

LadyLongLocks
February 8th, 2009, 09:20 AM
Late one night about fall 2006 I walked into a restaurants bar area with a friend. My hair was down and mid thigh at the time. All eyes were on me. A couple were betting on me, the man said that my hair must be fake/extensions and the woman thought it was real. She stared and put her hands in my hair! She was looking for extensions..there were none!!!
She was drunk too! YUCK!I tried to duck away from her. She won a 10.00 bet since it was real.
I was very angry but did not want to cause a scene.

I am very wary now in public with my hair down. I just hardly wear it down anymore, but if I do, I have my guy with me and he loves to be my hair bodyguard.

This is the strangest thing that happened, but not the only!
If I had to do it all over I would have caused a scene as this woman was very rude and drunk.
When it happens, you are so stunned, you don't think of what you could have done until later! :uhh:

Xandergrammy
February 8th, 2009, 09:24 AM
My boyfriend was able to pull all of my hair out of the goat's gut, intact. It stunk to high heavens and we had a 10 hour drive the next day to get home. YUCK!! If I remember correctly, I rinsed it the best I could with some well water, braided it and washed it when I got home.

marzipanthecat
March 25th, 2009, 10:23 AM
It was a nice - if rather strange - experience I had last summer. I was at Saltram House (a National Trust property in Devon, England - that's a historic house preserved and open to the public) and I was just sitting around waiting for my husband to pick me up (he's been at work all day while I had a nice day out!) and two women walked past me, and just stopped dead and said "oooh, your HAIR!" in a really admiring way. They were very nice to talk to, and we had the usual chat about having long hair, and then one of them asked me if she could touch my hair. I was a bit surprised, and her friend chipped in and said oh boy, she's going nuts, but I said, no, if you like you can touch it! (I sometimes want to touch people's hair or a nice soft angora jumper, but of course I don't ever do it, or even ask, so if she's brave enough to ask, hey, go ahead!). Anyway, she stroked my hair. And said some really nice things about it being all soft and lovely. And then she turned to her friend and said "I'm over 50 and I've gone through the menopause so I'm ALLOWED to be a mad old lady".

And then they both said goodbye and we all went our separate ways!

ravenreed
March 25th, 2009, 10:53 AM
I don't have anything too weird. I guess when I first started belly dancing a woman told me I would be great at it because, "You have the hair for it." Never mind having never had a dance class in my life and packing way more weight than I need to. It still makes me chuckle.

It does look awesome when I dance though!

LHGypsyRose
March 25th, 2009, 11:01 AM
LOL! Great stories here. I havn't really had any "in person" strange experiences besides an occasional compliment. But since I do have a Youtube channel with videos displaying my hair growth and what not I have had several strange comments. One that comes to mind, and the most recent, was when someone kept messaging me several times asking if they could buy strands of my hair!!:run:
Another one that comes to mind was when some FREAK messaged me, and besides other wierd kind of sexual comments, he also asked if I also grow my hair very long on other parts of my body that I won't mention here!!:disgust: shudder:

Igor
March 25th, 2009, 11:06 AM
I have one… A girl I was working with started asking me questions about my hair and hair care. After some basic talk about conditioners and supplements she then asks
“So do you ever have it down?”
I answer the truth “Well, only when I change the hair do or when I’m taking a shower”
Then she states/asks “So the only one who ever sees your hair down is your boyfriend?”
I answer “Yep” because, well, that’s the truth
She then smirks, winks at me and walks away
It took me a few seconds to realise she thought it was some sort of s3xu4l/f3t1sh-y thing between me and my boyfriend

Yuck!!

Igor
March 25th, 2009, 11:10 AM
Oh, another one :grin:

Back before I shaved my head and had really long hair, my grandma always used to pick on me for it. Always asking me when I was going to cut it, telling me how unfashionable long hair is and asking why I didn’t “do anything nice with it” etc etc

Then the first time she saw me again after I shaved it (At around 2 inch-length, I would say?) her first comment was “Why did you cut it? It was so pretty!”

Aisha25
March 25th, 2009, 11:12 AM
Oh, another one :grin:

Back before I shaved my head and had really long hair, my grandma always used to pick on me for it. Always asking me when I was going to cut it, telling me how unfashionable long hair is and asking why I didn’t “do anything nice with it” etc etc

Then the first time she saw me again after I shaved it (At around 2 inch-length, I would say?) her first comment was “Why did you cut it? It was so pretty!”
Oh my goodness:rollin:

Helen Baq
March 25th, 2009, 11:29 AM

This reminds me of when I had my hair short, but not buzzed, and colored bright turquoise-blue. At the time I was working for a cleaning company. I'm not sure about the proper translation for the work title, but the county hired my company to clean the homes of people entitled to it either because of age or illness. Most of the people we went to were little old ladies.
I thought maybe my hair would give all these old ladies a heart attack when they opened the door, but it turned out I was very popular. Soon many of the clients asked specifically for "the sweet young lady with the blue hair" :lol:

I've had similar experiences. When I had blue, green, and pink dreadlocks all beaded up I would go to the ballet, or a play and at intermission in the bathroom I'd be surrounded by little old ladies cooing over my hair, asking me how I did it, and saying they wished they'd thought to do that when they were younger. :p

dor3girl
March 25th, 2009, 11:37 AM
When I was in high-school, I got my hair braided in corn-rows with beads on the ends. My brother & I went to the local zoo near his home in Salt Lake City. While we were checking out an exhibit, an guy in his 30's (wearing a cowboy hat) picked up a few of my braids and said, "sexy hair" while winking at me. If I had been older, I would have laughed--but I was only about 15 or 16 & it kinda freaked me out... Needless to say, I have never worn my hair like that ever again.

KajiKodomo
March 25th, 2009, 01:10 PM
A few years ago, when my hair was longer (almost to my waist), I was in my boyfriend's room and his roommate randomly asks if he can touch my hair. I said, sure, and he proceeded to caress it for about 5 minutes.

Then he said "I wish my girlfriend's hair was that thick."

I later found out that he has a thing for girls with long black hair and even tried to get his girlfriend (now his wife) to dye hers black (she's a natural light blonde).

Centeredgirl1
March 25th, 2009, 01:50 PM
After many boards have poo-pooed lanolin for African American hair, I recalled that as a child, this was mostly what Mom used on my hair. It was long and thick.

I recently purchased some and immediately said to myself after opening the container that this was a mistake. Thack, Greasy, Yuck.

But, I applied it to my damp hair, twisted it up and went to bed. Next morning, my hair felt like silk with no greasy feel!

I now mix with a bit of Shea, Olive, Jojoba to make it more spreadable.

Strange how the old becomes new again. ;)

biosail
March 25th, 2009, 02:14 PM
last year my husband bought me a pizza stone, the directions said to heat the oven to 500 degrees F, so I did. I need to admit that I have a strange fear of turning up the oven past 400 because I think it might explode. I'll bet when I was a kid my parents told me something like that.
Anyway, I have the oven up to 500 and the pizza is in and it is time to take it out, so I reach in the oven with mits and pull out the stone with the pizza. After I sit down to eat I run my hand through my hair to get my long bangs out of the way, but my hand gets stuck. Turns out the oven was so hot that when I leaned over to pull the pizza out my bangs melted and got all curly. They didn't melt past my eye brows thank god. I hate bangs on my face.
So the lesson: be carefull when you really heat up your oven, you might give yourself bangs!

burns_erin
March 25th, 2009, 02:22 PM
last year my husband bought me a pizza stone, the directions said to heat the oven to 500 degrees F, so I did. I need to admit that I have a strange fear of turning up the oven past 400 because I think it might explode. I'll bet when I was a kid my parents told me something like that.
Anyway, I have the oven up to 500 and the pizza is in and it is time to take it out, so I reach in the oven with mits and pull out the stone with the pizza. After I sit down to eat I run my hand through my hair to get my long bangs out of the way, but my hand gets stuck. Turns out the oven was so hot that when I leaned over to pull the pizza out my bangs melted and got all curly. They didn't melt past my eye brows thank god. I hate bangs on my face.
So the lesson: be carefull when you really heat up your oven, you might give yourself bangs!

I shouldn't laugh, (but I must admit I did) because that happened to me too. I am quite glad I was not the only one.

pdy2kn6
March 25th, 2009, 02:41 PM
mine probly wasnt too that bad in comparison to others, but about last year i was clubbing and my hair was in a ponytail and i was at the bar and then some girl started pulling my pointail elastic out, and then i said "what are you doing?" and then she just slurred "your hairs so nice i just want to see it" then she started rubbing her hands all over it. It was very odd, and i was not too keen on some randomer scruffling up my hair. I think it was more the drink talking!!!

joyfulmom4
March 25th, 2009, 03:07 PM
Once when I was standing at a checkout counter, someone came up behind me and stroked my hair. Creepy. But what's creepier is that I didn't notice. My friend who was with me told me about it. She couldn't believe I hadn't reacted. But I didn't feel it. I really don't like it when strangers touch my hair.

jera
March 25th, 2009, 03:35 PM
Once when my hair was at its longest it was accosted by a BLIND man on a bus. It was a warm summer day and I had my hip length hair hanging over the bar on the back of the seat. I suddenly felt a strange tugging. There was this blind guy with the cane and everything touching my hair. :(

I got up and changed seats but this guy followed me tapping his cane up the aisle with his hand held out like he was feeling around for me. He found me too and went right back to playing with my hair. Other people on the bus saw this but of course nobody helped. :o So I got up again and moved to the front and sat right next to the busdriver, but the blind guy got up and flollowed me so I just got off at the next stop even though it was far from home.

I don't know how he kept finding me. I did use a fragrant shampoo at the time so I guess he must've smelled me. When I told my family what had happened they laughed like it was hilarious. I guess it was. But I didn't think so while it was happening to me. But it remains the weirdest experience my hair ever had. :rolleyes:

longhairedfairy
March 25th, 2009, 03:42 PM

I was telling my sister about this and just started gagging. I've got to get this out of my mind or I'm going to :puke:

Igor
March 25th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Wow, thats creepy shudder:

Once when my hair was at its longest it was accosted by a BLIND man on a bus. It was a warm summer day and I had my hip length hair hanging over the bar on the back of the seat. I suddenly felt a strange tugging. There was this blind guy with the cane and everything touching my hair. :(

I got up and changed seats but this guy followed me tapping his cane up the aisle with his hand held out like he was feeling around for me. He found me too and went right back to playing with my hair. Other people on the bus saw this but of course nobody helped. :o So I got up again and moved to the front and sat right next to the busdriver, but the blind guy got up and flollowed me so I just got off at the next stop even though it was far from home.

I don't know how he kept finding me. I did use a fragrant shampoo at the time so I guess he must've smelled me. When I told my family what had happened they laughed like it was hilarious. I guess it was. But I didn't think so while it was happening to me. But it remains the weirdest experience my hair ever had. :rolleyes:

Islandgrrl
March 25th, 2009, 04:58 PM
Well, I didn't have a goat eat my hair - Leni, that was incredible. And incredibly gross. :eek:

But when I was in college I used to sometimes go to the zoo to study. I know, weird. But there were quiet outdoor places and I liked the zoo.

So I found a bench in the shade one day and sat down to study - my hair was mid-thigh length and I was wearing it loose. I kept feeling this tugging at my hair, but every time I turned to see what it was, there was nothing there. Well, nothing I could see, anyway. After a few tugs on just a few hairs, I finally caught the culprit. It was a squirrel. He was playing with the hairs that were hanging between the seat and the back of the bench!

joyfulmom4
March 25th, 2009, 05:54 PM
Well, I didn't have a goat eat my hair - Leni, that was incredible. And incredibly gross. :eek:

But when I was in college I used to sometimes go to the zoo to study. I know, weird. But there were quiet outdoor places and I liked the zoo.

So I found a bench in the shade one day and sat down to study - my hair was mid-thigh length and I was wearing it loose. I kept feeling this tugging at my hair, but every time I turned to see what it was, there was nothing there. Well, nothing I could see, anyway. After a few tugs on just a few hairs, I finally caught the culprit. It was a squirrel. He was playing with the hairs that were hanging between the seat and the back of the bench!

LOL! That's cute. I would much rather it be a squirrel than a goat. Xandergrammy, I just cannot imagine that! Yikes! (I'm also laughing at the description of the whole scene. What a perfect 1970's hippie wedding...) :D

longhairedfairy
March 25th, 2009, 06:23 PM

How cute:)
I don't think it's weird at all.

longhairedfairy
March 25th, 2009, 06:24 PM
Didn't someone post on the old forum that a person standing behind her got the end of her braid and stuck it in his/her mouth? That was pretty freaky and gross!

Omens
March 25th, 2009, 08:47 PM
I laughed the entire time I read this thread. People keep looking over at me. :rolleyes:

Probably the weirdest thing that happened with my hair was in the sixth grade. This was back when my hair was red, and I used to have all sorts of trouble with people having to touch it/comment on it. Anyway, I was working on a project, and I keep feeling this tugging.... I ignore it at first, but soon get annoyed and turn around to look. Everyone at the next table just giggles. And the people at my table (who didn't like me very much; I was never the popular sort), aren't the least bit concerned and feign ignorance when I question them.

So the random tugging goes on for a few minutes, stopping for a short while, then starting up again. I keep turning around and glaring because I'm not sure what else to do (I was shy and just wanted to be left alone). But finally I reach my limit and ask the girl behind me what's going on. I'm very irritated, but trying to keep my cool. It's a difficult thing to do though when she holds up a section of my hair that she had cut off. Then she just smiles, waving her scissors at me. She goes onto to say how pretty my hair was and how she wanted a lock of it.

I was very angry, but there wasn't much that could be done about it. No one but me cared, and I knew no one would back me up if I went to the teacher, so I just moved to the other side of the table and let it go after telling her angrily to leave me be.

Several occasions while I was in that class, that same girl would tell me "I still have that piece of your hair!" whenever she saw me. Later in the year she came up to me and told me "my hair is prettier than yours now...so I threw your hair away since it's so ugly."

Um yeah, thanks. I was glad she thought it was ugly! At least it kept her from trying to snip it off!

Nowadays people KNOW not to touch my hair. In fact, I can't remember the last time someone tried.

HairColoredHair
March 25th, 2009, 08:49 PM
My strangest was while I was wearing my hair down in a dance club (per the birthday girl's wishes :lol: ) a man grinding with his girl locked his hands into my hair (I was on the other side of his girl) and WOULD NOT LET GO.

It took a friend of the birthday girl who was a bouncer and built like one interceding to get the drunk to let me go! His girl had shorter hair if I remember right, I can't imagine what he THOUGHT he had.

Sheesh.

I did have a little old lady come play with my double braids once but when she explained why (they reminded her of her daughter's when she was a little girl) I couldn't be upset. She was pretty frail/elderly too.

Helen Baq
March 25th, 2009, 10:05 PM

Ok, I just told my fiance this story, because he used to raise goats, and he told me this story: One of his goats had a fungal infection in its hoof, so he was out trimming it's hoof one day when he had his (at that time) mohawk up. He felt a tugging at his hawk and looked up to see the goat trying to eat it. He tried to pull his hair free and the goat head butted him! He woke up at the doctors with a concussion! :surprise:

DecafJane
March 25th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Ok, I just told my fiance this story, because he used to raise goats, and he told me this story: One of his goats had a fungal infection in its hoof, so he was out trimming it's hoof one day when he had his (at that time) mohawk up. He felt a tugging at his hawk and looked up to see the goat trying to eat it. He tried to pull his hair free and the goat head butted him! He woke up at the doctors with a concussion! :surprise:

Wow, goats must really LIKE hair! Yuck!
I'm glad he was okay. :)

I don't have anything like this to share (apart from odd people coming up to me and staring and saying they like my waves and curls), but this thread is great!

hennaphile
March 25th, 2009, 11:20 PM
In 7th grade we were sitting down to take a math test, and the girl behind me screams,

"I CAN'T TAKE A TEST SITTING BEHIND COUSIN IT!!!!!"

what's wrong with cousin it?

I still laugh about it.

annie09
March 26th, 2009, 12:26 AM
a few years ago i worked in a factory and because we all used to wear hair nets and mob caps all shift you very rarely seen anyones hair. well anyway i was retying my hair one day in the mirror and my line leader went past and said ooh ann you have lovely hair i would love to walk through it barefoot, i just laughed it off but to this day i dunno what the heck he was on about.

Helen Baq
March 26th, 2009, 12:42 AM
a few years ago i worked in a factory and because we all used to wear hair nets and mob caps all shift you very rarely seen anyones hair. well anyway i was retying my hair one day in the mirror and my line leader went past and said ooh ann you have lovely hair i would love to walk through it barefoot, i just laughed it off but to this day i dunno what the heck he was on about.

This totally caught me by surprise and made me giggle! :rollin:

shayly-fyanna
March 26th, 2009, 01:18 AM
This experience has me weirded out! at work i keep my hair always in a bun or braid tucked up with a claw. i have a supervisor who has been walking past my cubicle every day for 3 weeks and brushing his hand down my hair, from crown to nape and always kneels beside me and asks me why i keep my hair up all the time. i answer swiftly " to keep it from getting damaged." then return to work. he does this 3 or 4 times a day. it gives me the creeps!
i don't even like him, ( Cute smile and all that. ) and i know he doesn't like me at all, so i keep wondering what's up? why the constant petting? after the second time he does this "petting" i simply ignore him, I've refrained from telling our superior but what else can i do? it's not like he's going to get reprimanded or something. he's super good friends with most of the employees at the company and almost best friends with our supervisor. I told our supervisor once that this guy was bothering me and he laughed and waved the comment away. i don't know what to do. if i'm a bit rude he makes me work 18 hours a day, ( i usually work only 9 hours.) but if i ignore him he continues to pet my head and ask the same question over and over until i finally answer. it creeps me out! i know i have to suffer the petting but recently i have to bite my knuckles to not hit his hand or demand he stop loudly.

It's hopeless, i'm searching for another job, but meanwhile i must take it in stride. a co-worker told he he did it because he is attracted to me, but i doubt it.

sorry for the long rant.

Slug Yoga
March 26th, 2009, 02:19 AM
That's incredibly inappropriate, and I'm so sorry you've had to put up with that! Have you told him directly that you don't like it and it makes you uncomfortable, and is distracting? Maybe he doesn't realize (I mean, clearly he must not have a normal person's sense of what constitutes inappropriate or annoying behavior). Smacking his hand or yelling at him would be a completely appropriate response here, and I am sorry that you feel there would be repercussions. I think this constitutes sexual harrassment, even if his actions aren't overtly sexual--he is taking advantage of his position as a supervisor, and his friendships with others in the company, in order to impose unwanted physical contact on you!

Maybe you could bring this up again with the supervisor and try to get across that this is really a problem, uncomfortable, distracting, etc. and that he does this SEVERAL TIMES A DAY, every day! This constitutes a hostile work environment, I think, due to its persistence. That might be a fun phrase to use.

Do you think any of your co-workers might take your side? It might be useful to have "backup," other people who can confirm his behavior and agree with you that it's inappropriate. I understand it must be really difficult to feel like you can't do anything about it and that no one will listen or take it seriously.

I am really mad on your behalf, and I wish I could smack him for you. :mad: Ugh.

Maybe you could smear your hair with really viscous oils before you put it up and go to work, something that would be unpleasant to get on the hands but that would be a good conditioner. Maybe that would show him. :P I'm really sorry you have to deal with this b.s. *hug*

Quahatundightu
March 26th, 2009, 04:50 AM
Well this is more scary than weird, and thank gods it didn't happen to me - I was living with a girl who had waist length hair, and one day she was cooking something in the oven. I heard an almighty shriek and turned to see FLAMES streaking up her hair, especially near her face. She ran to the sink and doused herself while I ran over terrified that she was badly burnt. Her hair wasn't too happy (but not as bad as I thought it would be having seen the flames) but thankfully her skin was ok. I'll never forget that moment though!

Speckla
March 26th, 2009, 05:10 AM
It's not a long haired experience but....

I had my hair colored and cut into a bob. The hair dresser blowdryed it out and it resembled a mushroom. I was with my sister and we were on the way to my niece's college graduation and we were running late. I had to go like that and an older lady stopped me to tell me that my hair was beautiful! "It's so perfect. Is it a wig?"

ChatoyantLocks
March 26th, 2009, 07:30 AM
This experience has me weirded out! at work i keep my hair always in a bun or braid tucked up with a claw. i have a supervisor who has been walking past my cubicle every day for 3 weeks and brushing his hand down my hair, from crown to nape and always kneels beside me and asks me why i keep my hair up all the time. i answer swiftly " to keep it from getting damaged." then return to work. he does this 3 or 4 times a day. it gives me the creeps!
i don't even like him, ( Cute smile and all that. ) and i know he doesn't like me at all, so i keep wondering what's up? why the constant petting? after the second time he does this "petting" i simply ignore him, I've refrained from telling our superior but what else can i do? it's not like he's going to get reprimanded or something. he's super good friends with most of the employees at the company and almost best friends with our supervisor. I told our supervisor once that this guy was bothering me and he laughed and waved the comment away. i don't know what to do. if i'm a bit rude he makes me work 18 hours a day, ( i usually work only 9 hours.) but if i ignore him he continues to pet my head and ask the same question over and over until i finally answer. it creeps me out! i know i have to suffer the petting but recently i have to bite my knuckles to not hit his hand or demand he stop loudly.

It's hopeless, i'm searching for another job, but meanwhile i must take it in stride. a co-worker told he he did it because he is attracted to me, but i doubt it.

sorry for the long rant.

Oh, wow! That guy is really creepy and offensive, and is behaving very inappropriately! I'm glad you are looking for another job!

Do you think it would work to tie a colorful scarf over your hair while you are at work? If he asks why you are wearing a scarf, you could just tell him it is to protect your hair, so you wouldn't even have to be directly rude about it, but would still be able to keep his hands off it.

Kitty
March 26th, 2009, 08:22 AM
I was at a drugstore once, looking at makeup, when i suddenly felt something tug at my hair (i had left it down). There was a lady looking at my hair. She says to me "this is exactly the color I want, will you come with me for a minute?" and she starts walking away with my hair in hand, so I follow. (she wasnt pulling or anything, but I didnt want to risk that).
Anyways, she walks over to the hair dye section and starts comparing my color to all the different boxes. Well, I guess she found what she wanted, she just thanked me and I walked away silently.
That was weird! LOL!

Omens
March 26th, 2009, 06:07 PM

sorry for the long rant.

That is so wrong. Working with someone like that sounds awful. It almost seems like some sort of obsession or something given that he's being so bizarre about it, asking the same questions again and again until you relent and answer. I hope everything works itself out, or you are able to find a job somewhere else.

Igor
March 26th, 2009, 06:51 PM
Uhm, have you tried telling him how inappropriate he behaves?
“Stop that, its making me very uncomfortable” Preferable with witnesses around should suffice

I’m sorry if it sounds cold, but it I was your supervisor and you complained about an issue with someone and you haven’t even addressed the person directly with the problem, I would wave it off too, thinking I shouldn’t be bothered if you haven’t even said it to the person when the issue occurs

sorry for the long rant.

Helen Baq
March 26th, 2009, 10:38 PM

sorry for the long rant.

That's horribly inappropriate and unprofessional! :tmi:

Not sure how much of a corporate ladder you have at work, but at my job I was being 'reprimanded' for something over and over again, despite the fact that I had done everything in my power to take care of the situation. After a few months I decided the problem couldn't actually exist anymore, if it ever truly had, but I was still being reprimanded. I went to my supervisor's supervisor and told her I needed a better explanation, or I was going to start climbing the corporate ladder yelling "Harassment!" (not in those words, but that was the gist) Funny... the problem magically disappeared after that, even though I'd taken no more steps to 'fix' it. The main point being, if you start saying harassment loud enough, you will be the person making others uncomfortable. The power shift is quite nice. :)

princess
March 27th, 2009, 01:16 PM

That was hilarious! Was your hair alright? And who would have thought a goat would make good wedding gift?

And all the time we imagine wedding presents to be wrapped in giftwrappers and fancy ribbons!

Xandergrammy
March 27th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I was telling my sister about this and just started gagging. I've got to get this out of my mind or I'm going to :puke:

Oh no!! I have to admit that I get a little queasy now and then when I think about it and I really have made it a point to avoid goats over the past 30 some years.

Xandergrammy
March 27th, 2009, 02:07 PM

That was hilarious! Was your hair alright? And who would have thought a goat would make good wedding gift?

And all the time we imagine wedding presents to be wrapped in giftwrappers and fancy ribbons!

Yeah, my hair was fine. Just stinky. :grin: Remember that this happened in the 70's. We were all hippies and these friends lived out in the boonies. A goat was a very welcome gift for the milk.

And now that I think about it, I don't think there was one fancy ribbon at that wedding. It was a blue jeans and halter top kind of thing. (and many of the gifts were of the "pharmaceutical" variety.) :whistle:

burns_erin
March 27th, 2009, 03:14 PM

sorry for the long rant.

Document, document, document. And if his direct supervisor will not do anything, go over his head. Do not be afraid to use the words "sexual harrassment" or "lawyer". And I know you have said you refrained from reporting because you do not think naything will be done, but you really must. I do not know what the laws are like where you are, but consulting someone may be needed. Additionally, you might want to contact the HR of your company and see what the process is. I am so terribly sorry you are going through this and I hope it gets resolved or you find a better job.

Garnetgem
April 30th, 2016, 12:02 AM
One of my strangest experiences with my hair is when one day i was serenaded by a man in a busy town street...all people turned to stare and at that point i wanted to hide but there was nowhere to run the words to his song was like some sort of verse about hair ending "the lady with the beautiful long hair" and at the end to make matters worse he was down on one knee bowing .....people stared so much i wasn't sure whether to laugh or cry....it still makes me cringe!!

"bumped old thread as wanted to share my strange experience"

Sarahlabyrinth
April 30th, 2016, 01:58 AM
I was in town a few months ago, wearing my hair loose. I was walking up the main street to go to the jewellers' shop. I walked past a group of four guys who were standing on the sidewalk talking. One of them was in a mobility scooter, he would have been in his twenties, I suppose. I didn't take much notice. I went into the jewellers' store and was waiting to be served at the counter. She went out the back to fetch the item I was having repaired. I looked around as I was waiting and noticed that the guy in the scooter was parked in the shop doorway staring at me. I decided he must be waiting for someone, then realised that I was the only customer in the shop. When I went to leave the shop I realised that he was blocking the whole of the entrance and I couldn't get past him. He had been staring at me the whole time, not saying a word. So when he didn't move though he could see I wanted to leave, I said "Excuse me please". He continued to sit there, staring and eventually said "I will back up", and did - slightly. I managed to get out of the doorway and walked back to my car as fast as my feet would take me....He was still staring.

I guess he must have been staring at my hair, there is nothing else unusual about me, an overweight middle aged female.

Here's a rather better experience:

DH and I were in the States last October travelling from coast to coast. We stopped off for a couple of nights in a small country town in Illinois, I think it was.

The next morning we went down to the hotel restaurant for breakfast and sat in one of the booths. I was wearing my hair loose. DH went off to see if he could find a waiter and a menu.

I heard a voice behind me and jumped. The voice said "Well, excuse me, I couldn't help myself but I just had to come over and introduce myself to the lady with the beautiful long golden hair". I turned around and there was Santa Claus - well, not really, but he looked just like him. DH came back just then and the man introduced himself and we got to chatting for a while. "Santa" asked if he could stroke my hair, most politely so I said he could. So he did, very gently, all the while saying how lovely it was and that he had never seen such beautiful hair. He also remarked that as far as he knew there was no one in the district with such lovely hair. Of course, given our accents he wanted to know where we were from etc. and we had quite the conversation.
Every now and again he would stroke my hair, very gently, or pat it. I was on the verge of giggling, finding it pretty amusing.

So he asked if he might have breakfast with us the following morning, so we said yes. So next morning he sat with us and we all breakfasted together, we learned about his life, career, and we told him about our adventures and travels. He asked me how long I was growing my hair and when I said I was considering knee length, he said that if I did he would have to marry me, to which we laughed and I said he was too late.... So he stroked my hair again, so gently and admiring it and when the time came for us to leave he insisted on paying for our meals.
He was a gentleman - and respectful hair admirers I can find time for. ;)

TheLuckyLurker
April 30th, 2016, 08:20 PM
Well, once a long time ago I was getting my hair cut, and I was telling the hairdresser that my hair was really curly (it was straight at the time, because back then I always blowdried and flat ironed it) right before she started washing it. Once the water hit my hair and it... reacted, she sounded like she was genuinely shocked by how curly it was (it went from about 1a to 3b in twenty seconds)!

cowgirllong
April 30th, 2016, 09:27 PM
Well, once a long time ago I was getting my hair cut, and I was telling the hairdresser that my hair was really curly (it was straight at the time, because back then I always blowdried and flat ironed it) right before she started washing it. Once the water hit my hair and it... reacted, she sounded like she was genuinely shocked by how curly it was (it went from about 1a to 3b in twenty seconds)!

I would have loved to have seen her face!

My strange experience was last fall. We were at a potluck and a guy we have known for several years and see often noticed my braid, as if he'd never seen my hair before. He was just incredulous. "How long is your hair when it isn't braided?" It was really just so strange. I could not have imagined that he'd never noticed my hair before. When you have TB+ hair, that is usually THE thing people notice about you.

JadedByEntropy
April 30th, 2016, 09:46 PM
In 7th grade we were sitting down to take a math test, and the girl behind me screams,

"I CAN'T TAKE A TEST SITTING BEHIND COUSIN IT!!!!!"

what's wrong with cousin it?

I still laugh about it.

Aw thats a horrible compliment. :laugh: She must have been jealous or something...sheesh. I still like IT's hair xD

Frankenstein
April 30th, 2016, 11:54 PM
I have a family friend that chats with me on Facebook occasionally who has a weird fixation on my hair. (He's only seen my pictures; we've never met). Anyway, he used to constantly send me messages asking for pictures of my "long beautiful hair" and it's really weird. Like, "if it's not too much to ask, I would very much enjoy a selfie of your long beautiful hair in the mirror. No pressure". A while back I had a picture in which my hair showed up much darker than usual and he messaged me practically having a heart attack thinking I had dyed it, saying that it looks good but my natural hair color was such an expression of me. Ummm? I stopped replying to these weird comments and I think he got the hint eventually but still, it was strange and annoying.

Hairkay
May 1st, 2016, 06:42 AM
Aw thats a horrible compliment. :laugh: She must have been jealous or something...sheesh. I still like IT's hair xD

I thought cousin It was cute, in the movie he even had a little baby that looked just like a tiny version of him except there was a dummy/pacifier where the face/mouth would be. lol

Kat
May 1st, 2016, 10:50 PM
I had a really creepy one once. I was at a store, and a guy started talking to me about my hair. He told me he does hair photography, gave me his number, I think he also said the photo shoot came with a head massage or something. Wanted to touch my braid. I let him touch my hair, was still sort of trying to figure out what on earth this was about and so gave him permission. Later realized how super creepy the whole thing was. (Especially since at the time, I think I was around high school age... and since people were thinking I was high school or college age until I was about 30, imagine how young I looked at 20 or so-- I'm guessing there was no way I looked 18, and possibly didn't look even remotely near it.)

Sweets
May 2nd, 2016, 12:59 AM
What a great thread to resurrect! Some of these stories are so unnerving.

Kat, that's very creepy. So many young people would jump at the "opportunity" to be a model, it makes me wonder if he had any victims. So sad.

Kat
May 2nd, 2016, 09:17 PM
What a great thread to resurrect! Some of these stories are so unnerving.

Kat, that's very creepy. So many young people would jump at the "opportunity" to be a model, it makes me wonder if he had any victims. So sad.

Ew. It never occurred to me that he may have *targeted* me because I appeared to be young... it was bad enough that I was thinking it simply didn't faze him that I did!