PDA

View Full Version : Lint : how to get rid of it ?

Vivien'
February 7th, 2009, 11:33 AM
Hello !
Since two weeks, I try to use only my wide-tooth comb on my hair. And each time, I see a big amount of lint in the comb. I suppose that before, it went on the base of the brush. Also, a large part of the tangles I have came from this lint. So, where does this lint come from, in your opinion ? And how to ged rid of it (At least, minimize...)

Thanks ;)
Vivien

eadwine
February 7th, 2009, 11:53 AM
My take on it is the same way you gather dust in your room. It just happens, falls out of the sky and not much you can do about it.

LutraLutra
February 7th, 2009, 12:09 PM
I've found I'm 'linty' too, I put it down to oiling my hair and having a lot of static in my hair. I think the static draws the lint in and the oil sticks it to my hair. :shrug: Maybe I'm wrong. But I share your pain. :)

Anje
February 7th, 2009, 01:54 PM
I get lint, and oil definitely gives it something to stick to. Spidermom actually uses a silicone serum instead of oil because it eliminates her lint issues.

Blame your pets and towels for some of it. Carpet and clothes probably also play a role (some chenille is particularly disasterous for lint).

Easiest way for me to get rid of lint is to wash my hair. My other major method is, once I've detangled my hair the best I can (difficult because the lint seems to actively re-tangle it), I use my BBB on my hair, starting at the tips and working up, just like detangling. Thus, my BBB is full of lint, but it gets most of it out of my hair.

Carolyn
February 7th, 2009, 02:32 PM
Lint is just a fact of life. Or my life :rolleyes: I think cotton clothing adds to it but that's what I like to wear. I just use my BBB and do the best I can. It's just something that goes along with having long hair.

frizzinator
February 7th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I agree with all the previous posters, and I'd like to add that wearing my hair up everyday seems to help prevent lint. I think wool and fleece share lint excessively.

zift
February 7th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Lint is the main reason to cause tangles for me too, I try to brush it with a BBB and it really helps get rid of the lint but I always detangle with my fingers first and veeerrry slowly.:)

spidermom
February 7th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I ran out of my coney serum and my hair is once again a lint trap. I have a light blue robe, and I swear it can be hanging in the closet with the closet door shut, and my hair will fill with little puffs of light blue lint. I hate to think about what my lungs look like.

ChatoyantLocks
February 7th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I get rid of the lint in my hair by using a comb, so you've already inadvertently stumbled across the technique I use. :D

Lint exists. I accept it, comb it out regularly, and move on. Some people avoid using oils to avoid the lint catching properties it has. I find that for my hair (your hair may vary) using coconut oil helps prevent more tangles than are caused by the lint. Just comb carefully, and start from the bottom and slowly work your way up.

spidermom
February 7th, 2009, 06:50 PM
I don't know what the deal is; my lint doesn't seem to comb out OR brush out. It's stuck to my hair like .... uh .... lint.

EdG
February 7th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Lint is pure evil. :evil:

I wish it were possible to keep lint out of my hair, but I have to wear clothes. :D I also have a house full of towels, blankets, carpets, upholstery, and other textiles.

At least, I try to keep the worst lint generators away from my hair. :)
Ed

Vivien'
February 8th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Lint is pure evil. :evil:

Of course :evil:

Thanks for these answers. So I suppose I can't avoid it...:neutral: I'll stick to my comb... :)

ChatoyantLocks
February 8th, 2009, 12:39 AM
I don't know what the deal is; my lint doesn't seem to comb out OR brush out. It's stuck to my hair like .... uh .... lint.

Not every comb or brush will do the trick. I was lucky to stumble across a wooden comb that takes it right out, but I don't know why that one does the trick, and my other combs don't.