PDA

View Full Version : So frustrated, keep the scissors away, please!!

dolcevita
February 7th, 2009, 08:58 AM
Maybe it's just PMS (I am still adapting to life without the pill), or maybe it's a serious complaint but...

I am so tempted to cut at least 4 inches off my hair!!

It's just an inch and a half (when wet, or 2.5inches when dry- thanks to my waves) from BSL, but it's so tangly all of a sudden.

I did a lucious SMT for the first time on Monday and my hair was silky and smooth. Last week, I am guilty of using a shampoo with some silicones in it and kinda fell in love with it, but for that day only - short term gain!!

On Monday, I clarified with Giovanni's Golden Wheat shampoo, left the SMT on for an hour and a half, and welcomed silky smooth hair that actually behaved until Tuesday night.

My ends have been gluing themselves together and no amount of conditioner or leave-in will separate them! I am trying to keep my hair in protective hair styles, but the ends are so tangled I can't braid it! I all of a sudden have split ends left right and center and I have no idea what to do!!

I have tried to spread out how often I wash my hair, but my hair is very fine and thin so the scalp looks greasy by just the next day - so it's only ok if I am wearing a hat, or sometimessss a headband. I think this is definitely contributing to the dry ends. Doing a CO just makes the roots greasy... :(

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:confused::o

Sissy
February 7th, 2009, 09:04 AM
:( awww, sorry to hear about it but don't get frustrated and cut it... there has to be some other treatments or advice people can give here that will help. Have you tried any of the leave-in recipes on the site? Like Fox's shea butter creme or another one is Kimberlily's leave-in I think?

Carolyn
February 7th, 2009, 09:06 AM
Is Golden Wheat a clarifying shampoo? I didn't think it was. I find that I need a real clarifying shampoo and not just an ordinary poo to get the build up off.

Heidi_234
February 7th, 2009, 09:08 AM
Is Golden Wheat a clarifying shampoo? I didn't think it was. I find that I need a real clarifying shampoo and not just an ordinary poo to get the build up off.
Any poo with little amount of additives can serve as a clarifier.

dolcevita
February 7th, 2009, 09:19 AM
:( awww, sorry to hear about it but don't get frustrated and cut it... there has to be some other treatments or advice people can give here that will help. Have you tried any of the leave-in recipes on the site? Like Fox's shea butter creme or another one is Kimberlily's leave-in I think?

I haven't tried shea butter or coconut milk/oil in my hair yet. By the sounds of it, it would be too heavy for my fine hair - what do you think? I have tried Kimberlily's leave-in and found it really helpful when putting my hair in a braid but it doesn't do anything for my ends, just the length of the hair. I haven't tried it with glycerin added - would that make a big difference?

A few weeks ago, I used to let my hair air dry into beautiful waves and scrunch aloe gel and a couple drops of jojoba oil into my waves - I got so many compliments with my "Cosmo covergirl" hair. It didn't last long though, because the aloe was making my hair glue together suddenly without warning! And the jojoba started to make my hair limp and greasy even though I didn't alter the amount that I was using. My diet and schedule of habits hasn't changed - I got off the BC pill in December and I find my hair thicker since...

Hmm, maybe it's not then? I used to mix in some BS with it, but I didn't this time because I find it really harsh... Maybe I should? The first few times I clarified with BS, my hair was heavenly - but then it wore off.

Why is it that my hair keeps getting bored with things so easily and then just goes to utter disaster right after?? :(:(

akurah
February 7th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I would bet real money a microtrim (of .25 inches to half an inch) would probably solve a lot of your tangling without sacrificing significant length. Whenever my hair gets as you describe, when clarifying fails, I do that, and it works like a charm.

dolcevita
February 7th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I would bet real money a microtrim (of .25 inches to half an inch) would probably solve a lot of your tangling without sacrificing significant length. Whenever my hair gets as you describe, when clarifying fails, I do that, and it works like a charm.

I was thinking that I'll probably end up doing this. But it always comes down to this, and I see there's a group of you on LHC who don't trim - and I wanted to join them, haha.

Also, I don't know where I'd get it done. Can I ask a salon to just cut it straight across - just a bit, and no funny layers? And no shampoo/condish jam packed with silicones/sulfates? And no blowfryer? Are they going to look at me weirdly and laugh because my hair isn't very impressive so in their eyes I bet it could use some product and a hair straightener...

My mum used to trim my hair for me and she does a great job with it, but I haven't been home to visit for a while - thanks to university eating my time away. I tried to convince my BF to do it for me, but he knows how much I love and want long hair and he's worried he'll mess it up and make me cry haha!!

*sigh*:o

Samikha
February 7th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Akurah's idea is a good one :) Also, you might try CO again. I also got greasy roots at first, but I was doing it wrong:o Are you certain that the conditioner is light enough, cone-free, and that you're using enough? I use handfuls, literally. You can try putting conditioner on the scalp (with dry hair) perhaps ten minutes before you shower; many (including me) find it cleans better then.

If you're unsure about the cutting, you could try a salon, but if your boyfriend is that nervous about it, he's probably the better option. Hand power over only to those who do not want it;)

kdaniels8811
February 7th, 2009, 10:33 AM
I am an advocate for catnip tea, it has helped my dry, crunchy, breakaway ends immensely. After using it, my hair behave beautifully! Just a thought...

akurah
February 7th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Go to CostCutters, Supercuts, or a chain like that. Put your name down, say, "I am growing my hair out. I want an itty bitty trim, just the tiniest bits off the ends, and show me where you plan to cut to before you cut." Also be sure to be clear you don't want to be shampooed first, as they don't need to wash hair to trim it. They have mister bottles to damp it.

They'll do it exactly as you ask without pressuring you to do anything extra. Those cheapo places tend to make their money off volume so they'll want you in and out as fast as they can. You MAY want to bring your own comb since theirs may have seams, but beyond that, there isn't much to worry about.

Also if they reach for the blowdryer, say, "Oh, I don't need a blow dry, but thanks."

I also reccomend remembering who did it if they do it "right", as well as tipping generously. It'll help ensure the next time (if there is one) is similar to that time.

Do NOT go to an expensive salon, they make their money off extras, so they will push everything on you.

Be CRYSTAL CLEAR on what you want, but be polite, and I can almost guarantee you will be very pleased with the results.

Kirin
February 7th, 2009, 12:27 PM
My hair is fine and thin, and it sounds like what i go through during the winter, and when I need to clarify really really badly. Try some cheap v05 clarifying shampoo non dilluted, and a light conditioner, you'd be amazed at the difference.

Sissy
February 7th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I haven't tried shea butter or coconut milk/oil in my hair yet. By the sounds of it, it would be too heavy for my fine hair - what do you think? I have tried Kimberlily's leave-in and found it really helpful when putting my hair in a braid but it doesn't do anything for my ends, just the length of the hair. I haven't tried it with glycerin added - would that make a big difference?

I'm sorry but I do not know the answer to this. I have not tried either of the treatments but I am considering doing so :) Hope someone can give you the right answer.

Demetrue
February 7th, 2009, 05:00 PM
You can put conditioner from your ears on down, and then only shampoo the scalp with diluted shampoo - voila - clean scalp, conditioned ends.

GlassEyes
February 7th, 2009, 06:58 PM
Any poo with little amount of additives can serve as a clarifier.
For anything non-cone. For clarifying for those with silicone coated hair, only an SLS shampoo will take care of them.

Though they won't stay on the hair forever, most likely, that's probably your problem. You need an SLS shampoo.

Xi
February 7th, 2009, 09:26 PM
When my ends are like that, I find a short (or long...:rolleyes:) S&D session can improve things immensely. I'm a non-trimmer.

Heidi_234
February 8th, 2009, 04:45 AM
For anything non-cone. For clarifying for those with silicone coated hair, only an SLS shampoo will take care of them.

Though they won't stay on the hair forever, most likely, that's probably your problem. You need an SLS shampoo.
Yeah, I meant any SLS shampoo with as little amount of additives as possible.

WaimeaWahine
February 9th, 2009, 03:25 AM
Alright. Give me the scissors and I'll hide them in my hair. lol

Lilibet
February 9th, 2009, 03:28 AM
I am an advocate for catnip tea, it has helped my dry, crunchy, breakaway ends immensely. After using it, my hair behave beautifully! Just a thought...

It also tastes nice too (I'm sure I'm not the only person who loves catnip).

I hope you don't cut your hair, I did a while ago (as it was heading towards BSL) and I hate myself now for it :(

dolcevita
February 9th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Ok so here's what I did later that day I posted:

1) Bought Suave Wild Strawberry cone-free condish to do a good SMT with on the way home (but decided to save the SMT for another day since I didn't have enough time that evening). I used my Dessert Essence Green Apple and Ginger one for my first SMT and that condish is expensive... $9 a bottle whereas the Suave was on sale for 0.79 cents!!
2) Tried to get a cheap hair cutting place to give me a trim, but the wait was over an hour since they had only one person working, and I was strapped for time.
3) Bought a pair of haircutting scissors to try and convince the BF to do a small trim for me that evening.
4) Showered and washed with the Giovanni Wheat shampoo with BS mixed in. Put the Suave conditioner on for a few minutes. Washed my face with BS (OMG SO SOFT AND NICE and my face was GLOWING afterwards!!!!). Did a diluted ACV rinse followed by a cold aka freezing cold water rinse.
5) Jumped on the forums quickly to see about the Kimberlily's defrizzing spray and made up a bottle with some aloe, jojoba oil, Brita filtered water (no distilled at the moment), and some lavender oil drops.
6) Put some of that spray in my hair and french braided.
7) Woke up the next morning with soft hair!!

Today is Monday evening and it's not tangly! I wore it in a little braid to sleep last night, took it out, and just wore it down and messy-wavy for the day. Roots are a bit greasy so it's not work-acceptable but it's home-and-studying-and-running-errands acceptable.

YAY.

THANKS to everyone for their advice!! I am visiting my Mum in a few days and she will gladly trim my hair a bit because I think that's what it needs.

I am gonna look for some shea butter/coconut oil next time I am out and *cautiously* experiment with them.

ALSO. Would love to try henna... Have been wanting too since I started lurking on LHC, but I don't want a red colour, just a deep brown and lots of shine. I guess I'll keep lurking in the henna threads unless someone wants to offer some advice.

PS: I should start taking my hair vitamins again. I kinda keep missing days with that.... *blushes

dolcevita
February 9th, 2009, 06:13 PM
When my ends are like that, I find a short (or long...:rolleyes:) S&D session can improve things immensely. I'm a non-trimmer.

For some reason, I notice my split ends when I am at work or out somewhere and can't S&D. I guess it's just the lighting? Because by the time I am home and grab the ends and wave them around in the light to find the nasty bits, everything looks a-ok again.... Hmmm...:poot:

dolcevita
February 9th, 2009, 06:15 PM

I really want to try this. Can I buy catnip at a pet store or do I need a health food store for it? (Sorry I don't have a cat so I've never had to buy it!!):o:o

Lilibet
February 10th, 2009, 01:28 AM
4) Showered and washed with the Giovanni Wheat shampoo with BS mixed in. Put the Suave conditioner on for a few minutes. Washed my face with BS (OMG SO SOFT AND NICE and my face was GLOWING afterwards!!!!).

What's BS? :o

SimplyLonghair
February 10th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Not any suggestions, my DD deals with fine hair issues, so I can sympathize though! I hope you find what works for you.

I was also wondering what BS was.:shrug:

dolcevita
February 10th, 2009, 05:23 AM
What's BS? :o

Not any suggestions, my DD deals with fine hair issues, so I can sympathize though! I hope you find what works for you.

I was also wondering what BS was.:shrug:

Oooops..:o It's been my acronym for "Baking Soda". I've seen it used on the forums a few times but I guess it has other meanings in life so I'm probably best to write it out the long way :p