PDA

View Full Version : Super long and super fine?

lynnala
February 7th, 2009, 12:52 AM
I was just thinking that a lot of the pics I see here of really long hair, TBL and longer seem to have thick hair, both in quality and quantity. My hair is very fine and thin, and I'm wondering if I'll really be able to reach TBL, which is my goal (discounting terminal length issues). Maybe fine hair is more susceptable to breakage and just kind of 'disappearring'? Any of you out there with TBL and longer with fine, thin hair?

TessieAnn
February 7th, 2009, 01:26 AM
Last summer I saw a young gal with probably 1aFi hair like mine that was near tailbone. In her twenties my sister could sit on her hair, which is also much like mine.

I think many with thin fine hair cut it in frustration before it gets that long, especially if they compare it to thicker hair. All thicknesses of hair tend to be thinner on the ends and when you're already an i it can be frustrating.

Thin and fine = very delicate. With really good care, though, I think it can be done.

Good luck!

Tornerose
February 7th, 2009, 01:48 AM
I have very fine thin scandinavian hair, and somethmes I feel like it's too thin and that it would look better if I cut it. But then I remember all my reasons for having long hair, and how pretty it looks when I curl it for volume, and that makes it worth those "bad hair days".

I'm not really vain, but sometimes when my hair just hangs there flat down without volume, it gets to me.
I usually put it up in a childish hairstyle on those days, for a little fun and life.

OhioLisa
February 7th, 2009, 02:24 AM
My fine hair is past tailbone. Just be gentle with it and, barring terminal length, you should be fine.

Aditi
February 7th, 2009, 02:57 AM
I think even people with fine hairs can have long hair, but just because they require much more care than other type of hair people prefer it to be short.

Samikha
February 7th, 2009, 03:10 AM
Fine hair may be more fragile, but that does not make it impossible to grow it long. I had a friend - we don't really talk anymore - with hair to about classic. Her hair was both fine and thin. She never wore it up, shampooed the length, never did deep treatments, ripped a brush through it...she used 'cones and sulphates (Herbal Essences). No leave-ins. She didn't know a thing about haircare.

She was probably lucky in that her hair could withstand all of that. If you take good care of your hair, then surely it'll grow beautifully :)

Jeni
February 7th, 2009, 05:25 AM
I have thought a lot about this. My hair isn't super thin but it definitely isn't thick (~2.75") and before finding LHC I didnt think I could have long (past BSL) hair.

Most people I see on here with hair past waist seem to have ii/iii-iii hair so it can get a bit discouraging. I know I have seen a few people with thinner hair though, OhioLisa is one (I <3 her fairy tail ends). I know I've seen atleast 1 other.

I have seen 1 person IRL with about TB hair that looked very thin and fine (I def put her at 1a/f/i), it was like a silk curton and georgious! It gave me hope.

Im sure baring termainal issues making it to TB or classic can be done. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has ever made it to like knee with i/ii hair.

SpecialKitty
February 7th, 2009, 05:48 AM
and somethmes I feel like it's too thin and that it would look better if I cut it.

I can really relate to this statement and for me I think it is the main reason my hair isn't long. I've been thinking a lot about this lately because my hair has not gained much length in the time I've been at LHC. I think as a child I was taught that blunt thick ends were preferred, and that I had to cut my hair regularly. Basically, that a certain look was better than my long-haired look (in which my ends are not blunt).

I have wavy, dry, fine hair and worry that I won't reach my goal. Especially because my hair seems to be thinning as I age. But then I see people with hair like mine who have beautiful long hair and I do think it is possible.

And by the way, lynnala, OhioLisa, and Jeni, you are my new hair role-models! Your hair is gorgeous!

HildeMV
February 7th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I have fine Scandinavian hair, and I'm aiming for TB or beyond.

Jeni
February 7th, 2009, 06:21 AM
I can really relate to this statement and for me I think it is the main reason my hair isn't long. I've been thinking a lot about this lately because my hair has not gained much length in the time I've been at LHC. I think as a child I was taught that blunt thick ends were preferred, and that I had to cut my hair regularly. Basically, that a certain look was better than my long-haired look (in which my ends are not blunt).

I have wavy, dry, fine hair and worry that I won't reach my goal. Especially because my hair seems to be thinning as I age. But then I see people with hair like mine who have beautiful long hair and I do think it is possible.

And by the way, lynnala, OhioLisa, and Jeni, you are my new hair role-models! Your hair is gorgeous!

Dude! I have never had anyone call me a hair role model! I don't even know what to say...I'd like to thank the academy...:D. Thank you for the complement. I think your hair looks lovely, I really like the waves you have and I'm sure your hair will look fantastic long. Not everyone has to have blunt ends. look at OhioLisa's fairy tail ends and lynnala's v shape!

Beatnik Guy
February 7th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Lady Godiva (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=271)'s hair is kinda long and kinda fine. :)

Phalaenopsis
February 7th, 2009, 07:03 AM
I also have fine hair (but a lot in quantity). It still is vulnerable to breakage. My method is to trim enough so the breakage can't travel up.

It is possible :)

Anje
February 7th, 2009, 07:16 AM
Mine's fine and fairly thin (~2.5-2.75 circumference, most days). I tend to end up with a fair number of splits through the length, but there are fewer on the ends, even when I'm not diligent about trimming. I'm hoping I can eventually gut back on those, but I'm sure I'll never be rid of them completely.

frizzinator
February 7th, 2009, 07:48 AM
For over a year I have been maintaining my fine, thin hair at waist length, in an effort to thicken the length, which is less than half of my pony circumference near the scalp, due to breakage and shedding.

It's a good length for maintenance because it's long enough to make every style of updo I've learned and I am able to trim it from the back so that the front is not shorter than the back (as happened when I pulled it forward to trim from the front).

For many years I did the best I could by not blow drying, combing and brushing starting at the hemline and S&D once a week. Thanks to LHC, this past year I've broken a lot less hair due to always wearing it up and combing as Harpgal (who has very long fine hair) instructed, which is to SLOW DOWN, and gently work out every tangle with your fingers and comb with the prongs turned up so it doesn't catch in a tangle and break hair.

Sissy
February 7th, 2009, 07:52 AM
You're hair looks pretty healthy. I think you'll be able to grow it to tailbone or farther. Don't give up! Good luck!

vampodrama
February 7th, 2009, 08:35 AM
as another owner of "thin, fine Scandinavian hair" (I put it in quotes cos the term-like nature of this statement amuses me for some reason) I certainly hope we can grow long hair. yes, people will tell us we can't, but we won't listen, will we? ;)

MemSahib
February 7th, 2009, 08:36 AM
Mine is babyfine and classic length. My circumerence is consistently 3.25" which puts me smack into the ii catagory, surprisingly, since I was always told I have thin hair. (Oh, and I have a bit of bangs which are not counted in the circumference.) Classic is going to be about it for me. It is definitely wisping out although I've maintained at classic for well over a year now. The ends are fragile and require trimming for splits every few months. There may be a few babyfines who can grow longer but I think that is not the norm.

rags
February 7th, 2009, 09:15 AM
I have baby, baby fine hair and a pony circumference of about 1 3/4". When I was a teenager, my hair was classic. I don't think it will now, though (medical issues). But it can be done!

Lady Verity
February 7th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I'll be watching this topic closely. I have annoyingly fine, flyaway hair.

Eboshi
February 7th, 2009, 09:47 AM
I measured some of my hairs at work with an optical comparator one time. My hairs averaged 45 μm in thickness (supa-fine) and my hair is less than two inches from classic and still growing. :cheese:

Delila
February 7th, 2009, 09:57 AM
I'm between tailbone and classic now, it can be done.

What works for me: Letting it air dry before I finger detangle, finger detangling, combing only with a wide toothed comb after it's been detangled, no brushing, dilute shampoo to cleanse, using conditioner only on my length (my scalp seems to dislike conditioner).

patience
February 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Not really a super long but I do have super fine hair. I use to trim my hair between mid-back and waist just it have blunt ends to try to give the illusion of thicker hair. This past year I've decided to see how long it can get. I can see it is possible to grow longer now that I have been taking better care and quit the dye. My virgin hair is much stronger and seems to have potential. It just takes a lot of patience and TLC.

SpecialKitty
February 7th, 2009, 11:06 AM
This is such a great thread! Thank you for all the terrific suggestions and encouragement. I am feeling like this may be possible to do after all. I think I have to make a few changes in my routine based on what some of you are saying. I hope others chime in.

harpgal
February 7th, 2009, 11:13 AM
My hair is very fine and even though it hovers around 4 inches at the nape, it is very delicate and breaks easily. It is now a little past mid thigh and the hemline is looking pretty good. I have to groom very slowly and carefully, but it is a soothing time for me so I enjoy it.

I think it all comes down to how long the follicles are going to hang onto their strands, and very gentle care.

lynnala
February 7th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Wow, what a great bunch of replies! I've seen a few here who have fine hair (but more circumference then I have) who have longer hair, that is encouraging! I think even if I can get to waist length I'll be happy, because my thin hair just doesn't hang well, but I feel that if it is longer it will hang better.
And thanks SpecialKitty, you've made me feel "special"!

Kimberly
February 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM
I've been maintaining at about tailbone (when the curl is stretched out) for about a year as I remove damaged ends. They're mostly gone now and I guess I'll probably let it grow some more.

What helped for me was taking more time to detangle -- I do it while browsing LHC! Also, I sold my convertible (not for my hair, but I know it's made a big difference), stopped basking next to the fireplace with my back to it without putting my hair to the front, and I finally got into the ingrained habit of automatically moving my hair out of the way of my purse strap, backpack, seatbelt, and anything else that might snag it when it's down. But I don't wear it down as much, either. Much of my breakage, if not most of it, happens when I detangle.

Since a big shed I have found it's easier to care for when it's thinner -- takes less time to detangle and all that.

Xi
February 7th, 2009, 03:27 PM
My hair is a mix of medium and fine strands, and on the thin side, and tangly, and fragile... but it grew itself to tailbone with no help from me (i.e., before I found the LHC and started paying attention). That said, I never dyed it or used heat styling -- so I guess benign neglect grew my hair to TBL. ;) With all the resources of the LHC behind you, I expect you can grow your pretty hair as long as you choose!:cheer:

zift
February 7th, 2009, 05:35 PM
Yes there's a member here actually Unnamed, she has gorgeous past classic length hair:) And in person I've seen a lady with thin and fine hair whose ponytail reaches her calves. Her hair was quite thin but she didn't have taper(the exact opposite version of my hair hehe) She looked awesome with the hair:rockerdud

Lamb
February 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
I can so relate. I have fine hair which is right in the ii category, and I heard so many times that my hair this fine/thin never looks good long.... :rolleyes: I will be forever greatful for the encouragement and inspiration I got in this thread (now in the archives):
http://www.archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=70515

Dolly
February 7th, 2009, 08:21 PM
I've seen a few here who have fine hair (but more circumference then I have) who have longer hair, that is encouraging! I think even if I can get to waist length I'll be happy, because my thin hair just doesn't hang well, but I feel that if it is longer it will hang better.

Lynnala, I feel your pain! When my hair is straight (which is natural), it is less than 2" in circumeference, and it is BABY fine......my hairdresser once called it "cat hair"....that is about the texture of it! I'm feeling like its taking forever, but I am slowly but surely creeping up on waist.....my ultimate goal is hip length......

MsBubbles
February 11th, 2009, 09:16 PM
How did I miss this thread?! I wanted to ask this question but got all confused about how to narrow it down. "Super long and super fine" covers it!!

What great inspiration. I'm in bad need of it. My (Swedish) hairdresser always used to gently hold locks of my hair and say "Yes, yes, you have Scandinavian hair". Luckily she knew what to do with it when I kept it short.

This is just the thread I needed to keep going. Thank you!

Raederle
February 11th, 2009, 10:20 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by superlong, but my hair is certainly fine. Back in the mists of time, when my hair was still pigmented, my hair got past classic with blunt ends. My hair was still growing when I decided to cut back quite short.

More recently, my daughter, who also has very fine hair, had mid-thigh hair when she decided to cut. My hair now is no longer blunt, and the longest bits are a bit past tailbone.

Calanthe
February 11th, 2009, 10:30 PM
I don't know what counts as "super long" but I sure know what counts as "super fine" :D - my hair.

But yes, it's possible to reach tailbone and beyond. My hair was a little past tailbone when I was younger. As I knew nothing of proper longhair haircare it was totally destroyed be the time I was in my late teens :D but now I know what I'm doing (at least where my hair is concerned) and as I've reached hip this winter I'm sure I can reach tailbone and maybe beyond as well.

lynnala
February 11th, 2009, 11:17 PM
How did I miss this thread?! I wanted to ask this question but got all confused about how to narrow it down. "Super long and super fine" covers it!!

What great inspiration. I'm in bad need of it. My (Swedish) hairdresser always used to gently hold locks of my hair and say "Yes, yes, you have Scandinavian hair". Luckily she knew what to do with it when I kept it short.

This is just the thread I needed to keep going. Thank you!MsBubbles, I started this thread last week when I felt that I was NEVER going to like my long hair, but something has happened this week. It's grown just enough, almost waist now :D, (at least on my 'point') and suddenly this week I noticed that I am actually liking wearing my hair down! This is HUGE for me, because my hair is so fine that it doesn't hang well, but this week, well, suddenly it IS hanging well. I think there is finally beginning to be enough length that it's not just flying around all over the place. I look in the mirror and think, 'wow, I've got long hair!' Onward to tailbone! We can do it!

SimplyLonghair
February 12th, 2009, 01:08 AM
I have very fine, not maybe super fine, like my DD but we both have been down to tb and hip, even though we cut back, to a blunt hem. I think that we had just been harder on it than we should have been, but it was the last of the "old hair" pre-LHC hair. LOL So now I have all LHC hair. Even though I am still learning how to do new things to it. I think that I can safely say I have learned that, fine hair can be indeed very super long hair.:D

Elbereth
February 12th, 2009, 03:54 AM
My hair is currently between waist and tailbone, babyfine, and still growing nicely. My ends are very thin, but I expect my horizontal volume to improve at least a little once I resume regular trims when I hit my length goal (tailbone).

Pre-LHC, when I was a teen, I dreamed of waist length hair but due to bad haircare habits, never managed to grow past BSL. Fine hair is more delicate and less forgiving, but if you treat it gently, it can grow and look beautiful.

Schnee
February 12th, 2009, 04:04 AM
I don't have baby fine hair, more a mix of fine/medium typical scandinavian hair.

I don't think fine hair automatical means weak hair that cannot grow long. My hair is fairly strong, even the fine strands are supple and can be stretched easily. Other might have thicker strands, but also thick strands can be brittle and prone to breakage. :)

MsBubbles
February 12th, 2009, 06:46 AM
MsBubbles, I started this thread last week when I felt that I was NEVER going to like my long hair, but something has happened this week. It's grown just enough, almost waist now :D, (at least on my 'point') and suddenly this week I noticed that I am actually liking wearing my hair down! This is HUGE for me, because my hair is so fine that it doesn't hang well, but this week, well, suddenly it IS hanging well. I think there is finally beginning to be enough length that it's not just flying around all over the place. I look in the mirror and think, 'wow, I've got long hair!' Onward to tailbone! We can do it!

I know what you mean about fine hair not hanging well. Congratulations on your breakthrough!

I had thought about asking for super-long haired people with fine hair to step forward in one thread because I felt like all the TB & beyond folk had coarse and/or wavy hair. So this is all very encouraging!

I'm sure most people with fine (and straight or thin) hair give up growing because they think their hair looks horrible. I know I used to think that. I'd chop it off once it got to BSL.

Autumnberry
February 12th, 2009, 07:39 AM
Lynnala, thank you for starting this thread. My hair is most certainly baby fine and is approaching BSL. It breaks so easily, and I have to wash frequently (and I like to wear it down), so I'm not sure how long it will get and still look good. But like many other LHC-rs, I have confidence that I will get it to a nice long length by gentle care. I recall having waist-length hair decades ago, and it was abused with harsh shampoos and brushes, so I figure, it can be done again with more healthy measures. Why not?

Honestly, there is so much pressure in the beauty world to cut, cut, cut and fry the hair with chemicals because salons make more money. Baby-fines are told they shouldn't or can't grow long, and it's simply not true. What's really funny is that years ago I went to an upscale salon and they told me that since my hair was so fine and thin, I needed some layers AND highlights and low lights. That means high levels of chemicals all over the crown. That was a disaster, and my hair broke off all over. Now, with no more synthetic dyes (only henna :D) and with the great resource of LHC, it should be easier to grow longer.

jivete
February 12th, 2009, 07:59 AM
I'm not going for super long, but with my super fine and pretty thin (2.25" pony tail) even waist seems like a tall order. I'm hopeful that if I can continue to avoid the heat and chemicals, it'll eventually get there and not look like total poo when it does.

UP Lisa
February 12th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Hello. My hair is baby-fine and VERY fragile. It breaks so easily that I just hate to comb or brush it. It also tangles very easily and very badly. I have managed to get it to this length by treating it as gently as possible, and keeping it up most of the time.

A problem I have is that the sides and front don't grow long like the back. This causes the length to be thinner than it should be. Also, I can't get the front hairs to stay in an updo unless it is a high one. As a teenager I had BSL hair, and I think the sides and front were as long as the rest. I guess I'm getting old.

Lisa

OhioLisa
February 12th, 2009, 08:54 AM
Hello. My hair is baby-fine and VERY fragile. It breaks so easily that I just hate to comb or brush it. It also tangles very easily and very badly. I have managed to get it to this length by treating it as gently as possible, and keeping it up most of the time.

A problem I have is that the sides and front don't grow long like the back. This causes the length to be thinner than it should be. Also, I can't get the front hairs to stay in an updo unless it is a high one. As a teenager I had BSL hair, and I think the sides and front were as long as the rest. I guess I'm getting old.

Lisa

I don't think it has anything to do with age. It's probably just not one of those things you would think to try to remember. I have whispies in the front and I love them. They just give updos character. ;)

UP Lisa
February 12th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Well, mine aren't those "wispies". They are just straight. You don't see the wave in my hair till it gets longer.

In the few pics I have seen of myself when my hair was long in the past, it looks like the sides were long. I don't suppose there is anything in the world I can do to get them to grow longer now.

Lisa

lynnala
February 12th, 2009, 03:16 PM
I bought these hair combs from eBay awhile back, they hold up hair really well, but I've stopped using them for that, they are GREAT for combing my fine hair! I don't used anything else now. They are very smooth and the wide teeth go through my hair easily. (they do a great job holding up my slippery hair too, especially when I interlock the pair)
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/legendhouse/newfrenchcomb2.jpg
Here's the eBay seller:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Unbreakable-Hair-Comb-Pair-French-Twist-Tortoise-Shell_W0QQitemZ360129969693QQihZ023QQcategoryZ4522 5QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l126 2

JamieLeigh
February 12th, 2009, 03:26 PM
Mine is nearly classic length, and I'd classify it as fine/medium, leaning more towards fine. I'm aiming for as long as it can grow, but the last time it was nearly knee-length, it was very wispy at the ends, and I'd rather have it shorter and healthy, than longer and wispy. :(

girlcat36
February 12th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Great thread!

I was starting to have my doubts about my fine, fragile hair. Although it is longer than it has been in years, it normally breaks off at this length.

atlantaz3
February 12th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I guess I'm in the middle of this category as I have fine hair but a lot of it. My complaint is an S&D takes forever and trying to see those little hairs makes me cross eyed. I did one side a few days ago and will do the other side in a day or so when my eyes un cross!
I am hoping even fine hair can get long - I think my hair is about the same length I had when in junior high and never really trimmed or cut my hair - my fear is this length is close to terminal.
So not to be a downer but I don't think I will ever have tailbone hair (waist only is my goal) but I do hope to have healthier hair for as long as I can get it to grow. It's the journey right?

sissadawn
February 12th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I'm between waist and tailbone and my hair is very fine and thin, I can't say beyond that length how well it does but I'll let you know when I get there!

Silverlox
February 12th, 2009, 09:44 PM
My hair is super-ultra fine Scandie baby hair and not very thick either, somewhere around 2.5-2.75" which puts me in the lower half of the ii category. I used to be squarely at 3", but have been shedding lots the past 6-8 months.

Nevertheless, although it's so fragile and far from strong, I've gone past 40" and I'm presently hovering at the 1 metre mark (100cm), just tiny fractions from classic! :cheer::happydance:

Don't ever doubt that it can be done!! :cheese:

Okay, so I had to ditch the dream about having a blunt hemline along the way. You can't have everything. :shrug: But honestly, if I had to choose all over again, I'd still choose the fairytail ends and the length, over having BSL without taper. To me, longer is better! :D
My hair seems happy and healthy, there's just less of if the further down it travels.

I trim about 2-4" a year from the very ends and eventually the "travellers" will catch up with the galloping frontrunners. Or perhaps not. But meanwhile, it's still long!! :wethree:

julya
February 12th, 2009, 10:58 PM
My hair is fine and pretty fragile too. I just try to always comb very gently. Mine is still growing past classic, but sometimes it drives me bonkers, with all the tangles. It is so soft and silky though, which I really love about it.

Nini
February 13th, 2009, 03:41 AM
I've hit mid-thigh now, with the longest parts anyway. I've got a semi-fairytale end going on:)

I hardly ever wear it down though. It tangles when I think about it, and it wouldn't be practical with my jobs.

Besides I love all my pretty hairtoys! And my main goal growing my hair all these years has been to have my braid as long as possible.

Nini

UP Lisa
February 13th, 2009, 07:09 AM
It's so nice to see all this long, fine hair!

When I was a teenager, I don't think my hair ever got past BSL, but that was because I wasn't as careful with it as I am now. So to whoever it was that thought they might be at terminal length, you probably aren't.

Lamb
February 13th, 2009, 07:25 AM
This thread is so inspirational. My hair has improved greatly since my CO routine, and since I introduced leave-ins to my routine. But I still fear my hair will not be much to write home about when it hits APL or longer - and I would be over the moon if I could make it to BSL without major taper.

nimeera
February 13th, 2009, 07:25 AM
My hair is very fine. The top of my pony tail is about 2", and my bun is FAR from eating the back of my head. When I braid it, it tapers dramatically to barely nothing at the end. I'm lucky that the natural waves make it LOOK fuller than it is! But my hair is currently classic length and slowly but surely still growing. And now I have a halo of secondary length that popped out of nowhere and is about 4" long. So it seems that I am picking up more fine hair?

Anyway, super long super fine hair is possible. I just shampoo scalp only, condition the length. Oil the length. Massage the scalp. Trim individual splits ends only. Comb gently with a wide tooth detangler comb (with the squiggly teeth), and wear it up constantly.

Lillie
February 13th, 2009, 07:27 AM
A friend of mine has very fine and thin hair, and it goes down to her hip. As she is a very tall person, her hair is really long.

It is so silky and shiny, it looks really healthy and beautiful. :)

UP Lisa
February 13th, 2009, 07:43 AM
Lamb,

What are you using as a leave-in? I can't seem to find one that's much good.

Lisa

Ashley
February 13th, 2009, 07:58 AM
My hair is very fine too... I've had quite a bunch of hairloss these past months, and it was quite fine/thin to begin with. My hair is now nearing hip length though, and I can't think of giving up just yet. I think it should be possible for almost everyone, just some of us need to take different care for it and just be more gentle.

My hair doesn't look impressive at all with my thin pony tail and sad thin layer when worn down, nor does it get all the stares and raves anyone with medium thickness would have gotten, but there is something that I like about it in all its imperfectness. :)

Keep on growing! You'll be surprised how far you can go. ;)

az_sweetie01
February 13th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I agree, this is a very inspirational thread! I also, have quite fine, thin hair. My nape pony circumference is approx 3" but, it tapers a good deal. I've never actually measured my ends, lol, I'm afraid to know.

Over the holiday's, I saw alot of people I hadn't in awhile and I got alot of, "Oh, your hair is getting so long but, ....it's healthy!" I felt a little put off by comments like those (even though, in retrospect, I shouldn't have) and got into a funk eventually trimming back to APL last month. I really felt like they were implying that although my hair was long and healthy, it wasn't very pretty. I'm happy I trimmed back though because I had gone through a really tough shed period and trimming thickened my hemline up even with the layers in the front.

However, there are so many long haired women and men here with fine and/or thin texture and/or thickness that are positively beautiful. It's hard not to feel encouraged. Emichiee's (hope I spelled her name correctly...!) hair looks like glass and is breathtaking :)

gallows_gallery
February 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM
My hair is really fine - and there's not much of it. My ponytail would be 2cm thick at best.

My hair is currently just passting TBL. It needs lots of trims, and I do have a lot of damage growing out from where I used to use elastics and bobby pins all the time. If I haven't brushed it it goes in to a mess of gappy strings.

All in all it looks good though! The dark hair dye helps mine look thicker - but it's just an illusion ;)

maria_asa
February 14th, 2009, 03:09 AM
I have babyfine, thin (2" ponytail with very heavy taper) hair as well and although I don't count my hair as superlong it is TBL now and keeps growing. I know I will never get the stunning tresses I see on people with thicker hair but in the end I'm growing my hair for me and not for someone else.

embee
February 14th, 2009, 11:17 AM
I know my hair is straight, fine, and thin: I can sit on it when it's loose but my updo bun is this little bump on the back of my head. Most hairsticks are too long for me. Barrettes slide out. When my hair is fresh washed I have wispies at the front, stick straight, just dangling strings of hair. My updo looks like it needs a reboot. ;)

If I cut it short, my hair will *still* be straight, fine, and thin, plus expensive to maintain. So *long* is a no-brainer!

WavyGirl
February 14th, 2009, 02:30 PM
I started reading this and I kept thinking of beautiful pictures of a brunette lady standing by a river. It's taken me all afternoon to remember her name though. Madeline. She posted photos on the archived board not long after I joined and I still remember them nearly 3 years on. She has fine, straight hair. Her bun looked similar in size to mine but when her hair was down it was so long. It was such a great surprise. My point? Don't worry about a small bun with your long, fins hair because when you let it down the impact will result in some grazed chins.

OhioLisa
February 14th, 2009, 02:42 PM
I started reading this and I kept thinking of beautiful pictures of a brunette lady standing by a river. It's taken me all afternoon to remember her name though. Madeline. She posted photos on the archived board not long after I joined and I still remember them nearly 3 years on. She has fine, straight hair. Her bun looked similar in size to mine but when her hair was down it was so long. It was such a great surprise. My point? Don't worry about a small bun with your long, fins hair because when you let it down the impact will result in some grazed chins.

You're so right about Madeleine. Her hair is simply gorgeous, and definitely very fine. Her website is HERE (http://www.haarkram.e-something.de/start.html).

vindo
February 14th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Lady Godiva (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=271)'s hair is kinda long and kinda fine. :)

Yes, but she does have a lot of it (iii?) and it does not taper much!

I measured some of my hairs at work with an optical comparator one time. My hairs averaged 45 μm in thickness (supa-fine)

That should be 0,045mm (mircometer measurement)? That would be F bordering M, M starts at 0.05. :D

My hair is really fine - and there's not much of it. My ponytail would be 2cm thick at best.

You should remeasure, I think it may be 2 inches youre talking about. It def. does not look like 2cm, the thinnest hair I cam across was just 4cm in circumference (wrap the tape around)
2cm is i, I think youre more like 7-9cm? which would be medium to thicker. 7cm is the middle of ii.

To answer the question:
My hair is neither fine or thin but people categorize it there very often when they simply look at it.

Let me say that it is not all about the ponytail circumference you start off with. Taper also plays an important role.
Means, thin hair can grow quite long and with relatively thick lengths if it does not taper quickly. Same goes for thicker hair which could taper rapidly and have a hard time maintaining thick ends.

F hair is more fragile, but also less dry most of the time. So careful handling assures that it will not get damaged on the way down. Every hair type has its advantages.

I think there is not many fine/thin haired longhairs out there because they simply get discouraged quickly. I am sure many people they know will tell them to keep it short and even if they try to grow thinks like taper and damage may really test their patience.

Alethia
February 14th, 2009, 03:21 PM
My hair is barely 3" round at the nape of my neck but it rapidly dwindles to about 1 1/2" about BSL. I have hair past classic now. I follow a regime of don't do much to it at all. I braid it nearly every day, I wear it in an infinity bun the rest of the time. I wash it once a week. I use a hair dryer maybe twice a year. I use a cherrywood comb once a day (at weekends I just fingercomb). I rarely brush, but I used to brush every day.

I have to say that I don't think my hair looks that great when it's loose. I don't have many split ends, but it's very floaty and lacks the weight to slink well. It goes into rat-tails quickly and is very tangled after about an hour of being loose - I don't recommend it. Why don't I cut it? Well, I suppose I'm curious about how long it will go. I'd never have thought it would reach this long.

UP Lisa
February 14th, 2009, 03:39 PM
Yes, I don't think most people have the patiece to grow their hair long. I've had people ask me how I got it so long. They said they always cut theirs before it gets long.

lynnala
February 14th, 2009, 04:17 PM
I guess I'm lucky in the respect that my hair is so slippery, it doesn't really ever get tangled even after wearing it down all day or after washing.

WavyGirl
February 15th, 2009, 01:08 AM
You're so right about Madeleine. Her hair is simply gorgeous, and definitely very fine. Her website is HERE (http://www.haarkram.e-something.de/start.html).

I never knew she had her own site. Thanks for posting the link.

autopatte
February 17th, 2009, 07:33 AM
I have exactly the same hair Alethia,

you said,

I have to say that I don't think my hair looks that great when it's loose. I don't have many split ends, but it's very floaty and lacks the weight to slink well. It goes into rat-tails quickly and is very tangled after about an hour of being loose - I don't recommend it. Why don't I cut it? Well, I suppose I'm curious about how long it will go. I'd never have thought it would reach this long.

Only my hair is BSL and just cut it "blundish". I call it like that because my hair is really thinner the last 10 cm.

I am not sure if I want to reach classic and look really poor with very thin ending...

heidihug
February 17th, 2009, 08:27 AM
Alethia also seems to be my hair twin, we are even at about the same length. So, not super long, but it is fine (just 2.25" pony circumference at nape) and thin. It used to break off at about shoulder from all the abuse I gave it - no conditioner, perms, heat tools all the time - gah!

I can't imagine having short hair again (well, shorter than waist - I guess that's not really short, is it!). I am just very careful with it - oil from the ears down regularly, always wear it up and generally treat it like an antique silk.

My goal is to make it to knee, pretty much for the reason that I want to have big buns! :p Oh, I have those already, I mean the twisted and braided hair variety! If I can have tailbone or longer hair, I imagine that most anyone can.

jivete
February 17th, 2009, 12:02 PM
heidihug, it's so good to see someone with the same circumference as me and with really long hair. You are my inspiration and give me a lot of hope, especially since my goal is only waist.

heidihug
February 17th, 2009, 01:38 PM
Thank you, jivete! Glad I could inspire, that's a nice feeling. I only found LHC about a year ago, before that I had not taken care of my hair the best that I could. In fact, I had never measured it, or tried anything on it that was out of the norm, beside carnation oil on the ends. I am much more sure of myself when it comes to my hair now, including trying new products, and new updos. Plus, I feel confident in giving people IRL advice on possible ways to help their hair grow and/or look and feel more healthy.

Best of luck growing!

Kimberly
February 17th, 2009, 02:09 PM
Carnation oil? Wow, your hair must smell fantastic!

Jeni
February 17th, 2009, 02:15 PM
Heidehug I agree with jivete, your an inspiration to me! My hair is slightly thicker (2.5-2.75") but not much, its nice to see someone with thinner hair getting so long! Your Chinese bun looks huge btw. If it wasn't for the fact that I enjoy wearing my hair down occasionally I would probably want to grow it down to my knees too. I so want a giant bun.

lynnala
February 17th, 2009, 05:18 PM
I just did a real measurement on my circumference for the first time. Right at 2". :wail:
But when I pull down the very point of my hair, it's just about at waist!

MadPirateBippy
February 17th, 2009, 05:38 PM
I've been maintaining at about tailbone (when the curl is stretched out) for about a year as I remove damaged ends. They're mostly gone now and I guess I'll probably let it grow some more.

What helped for me was taking more time to detangle -- I do it while browsing LHC! Also, I sold my convertible (not for my hair, but I know it's made a big difference), stopped basking next to the fireplace with my back to it without putting my hair to the front, and I finally got into the ingrained habit of automatically moving my hair out of the way of my purse strap, backpack, seatbelt, and anything else that might snag it when it's down. But I don't wear it down as much, either. Much of my breakage, if not most of it, happens when I detangle.

Since a big shed I have found it's easier to care for when it's thinner -- takes less time to detangle and all that.

It's amazing how those little things matter when you have fine hair- for me I had a huge decrease in breakage and splits when I started moving my hair out of the way before I started driving in my car, and when I stopped sitting with my hair against the backs of chairs.

You have to be a little more delicate with your hair when it's fine, but it's do-able. Look at mine- I'm at waist with a I-am-not-kind-to-my-hair taper.

Leisje
February 18th, 2009, 11:49 AM
I love this thread! It gives me a lot of hope for my hair.

My hair is extremely baby fine and all my life people have told me long hair would look bad on me because of it. My mother always cut my hair in a short bob when I was little, never had that long pretty little girl hair.

I've never had hair past BSL length, and I honestly did not that that my hair was capable of growing longer than this because of what people have said to me. But thanks to you ladies in this thread, I can see there is definitely hope for longer hair.

My goal is for waist, and I'm just at BSL right now.
However, I know I won't reach waist for a long time because I am trying to cut off all the previous damage to my hair, which goes up to about my chin. This will be done slowly of course because I cannot bare having short hair again.

I must say you all have very beautiful hair!

Hypnotica
March 18th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I'm a finey and my hair is soon TB. But my hair is not fragile for some reason. I would love some more volume...

earthdancer
March 18th, 2009, 10:43 AM
I have fine hair now at waist length, and so does my 29-year-old son, whose hair is exactly like mine. Let me tell ya, after having short hair for many years, I found that my hair actually looks better longer. Short, it looks very thin; longer, it looks much thicker. Go figure.

I have a lot of fun showing off my long hair. For instance, the Schwan's guy had never seen my hair down before, but last week he stopped by just after I washed it and it was almost dry. When I opened the door and he saw me with my hair swinging over my shoulder, he got a look on his face of - let's be frank - awe and wonder! LOL!:D

Delila
March 18th, 2009, 11:59 AM
... but it's very floaty and lacks the weight to slink well. ...

I can relate to this, definitely, love that phrase. At the scalp, my hair's kind of sleek, but further down it just gets kinda poofy if it isn't conditioned heavily. Since my hair tends to show oiliness quickly, I always have to be careful about over conditioning.

As others have said, I MUCH prefer my hair long.

lynnala
March 18th, 2009, 06:17 PM
I agree about liking my hair long, even though it is thin. When it's short, it just hangs there, limp, and it just looks awful. But even if it hangs there limp when it's long, it looks good!

justpuggy
March 18th, 2009, 07:08 PM
awesome thread everyone!! I have been away for a while, but my super fine, thin hair is growing pretty well past bsl and I actually think it has a shot at making it to long lengths afterall!

templeofvenus
March 19th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I have super fine hair chin length bob so this is encouraging to hear that there are some super fine long hairs out there!!!! maybe I can get there after all instead of keeping mine short and thinking it will look too thin when its long!:)

lynnala
March 22nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
I just posted this pic in the forum because it's my one-year growth pic. I've hit waist without knowing it! But check out how thin my ends are, practically transparent. But if I can make waist, I can make tailbone, and then.....
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/legendhouse/09.jpg

OhioLisa
May 21st, 2009, 03:18 PM
I just posted this pic in the forum because it's my one-year growth pic. I've hit waist without knowing it! But check out how thin my ends are, practically transparent. But if I can make waist, I can make tailbone, and then.....
http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee20/legendhouse/09.jpg

OMG, I can't believe I missed this pic! Your hair is lovely! Hoorah for fairytale ends! :flowers:

theshadowpuppet
May 21st, 2009, 03:27 PM
It's possible, for sure. It's just a matter of how people with fine hair get so frustrated.. I have average thickness, but my hair is pretty fine and prone to split ends, which tangle easily. It's frustrating, because my hair feels silky and soft, up until the ends.. where it snags and I can barely run my fingers through it.

I try to ignore the damaged ends till I can cut them off. Besides, we're usually the only ones who do notice.

bjt
May 21st, 2009, 03:32 PM
hi all--my hair is very fine, but I have a lot of it.. and I've had long hair for a long time. coconut oil has helped a lot, as does keeping it up when I am wearing a coat or scarves. I trim it to keep it at this length (I just went to the hair dresser today, in fact. I'm at about TBL)

lynnala
May 21st, 2009, 09:46 PM
Aw, thanks OhioLisa!

Debra83
May 21st, 2009, 10:34 PM
hi all--my hair is very fine, but I have a lot of it.. and I've had long hair for a long time. coconut oil has helped a lot, as does keeping it up when I am wearing a coat or scarves. I trim it to keep it at this length (I just went to the hair dresser today, in fact. I'm at about TBL)

Wow. If that is you in the Avatar, it sure doesn't look fine. My hair is fine, and I have a lot of it too, but I don't think it looks like yours!!!

Delilah
May 21st, 2009, 11:05 PM
We can get there, it just takes longer because of the breakage and needing more trims to have the same type of hemline.
I'm past waist and heading for tailbone now.

UP Lisa
May 22nd, 2009, 05:39 AM
Your hair is gorgeous, Bit. That thickness sure does make a difference!

Lile
May 22nd, 2009, 06:09 AM
I think it can look good,but really depending on the face.
Thick,long hair can make the overally appearance very nice,but super fine can make it too flat.
I have very fine hair too(but quite a lot of it),and at waist length it turned out to be too flat for my face,without volume.Any then got it layered.
If it's wavy or curly,that's another question though...

UP Lisa
May 22nd, 2009, 06:40 AM
That's something I don't like about mine. When I pull it back, it is very flat to my head. Luckily, I have a full face, so I think it doesn't look too bad.

tangocurl
August 22nd, 2009, 10:26 PM
I just discovered this inspirational thread, thanks to Ohio Lisa's signature!

EvaSimone
August 23rd, 2009, 01:42 AM
My hair is very fine and is ii and the last 10-12" are damaged pretty badly from several years of dying it and heat styling.

It's past hip length and about 4" from my tailbone. It has some taper but it's not terrible and the ends look pretty nice considering how badly I treated them.

I think the key is treating your hair gently and making sure that it gets adequate moisture and protein. Other than washing and conditioning every other day and putting a leave in on I just put it up and leave it alone. So far that's been working well for me. :D

Marika
August 23rd, 2009, 03:24 AM
I think it's absolutely possible to grow "super" long hair even with fine and thin hair.

My hair is super fine and it tangles very easily. I'm also prone to split ends. Cones and wearing hair up have helped a lot with tangling but I still have to be very careful when handling my hair to avoid breakage. I don't trim my hair very often because I don't mind fairytale ends as long as they look healthy, not damaged.

I'm hoping my hair grows to classic but I'd be quite happy even with tailbone length with nice, bluntish ends.

Ruvie
August 23rd, 2009, 03:40 AM
I sometimes get worried about my super fine hair and how I'm dead set it could never look like the marvelous hair I see on here, but I tell myself that is why I do protein treatments and do soft careful combing! It will get there, having the patience is the hard part :(

Fethenwen
August 23rd, 2009, 03:59 AM
It is possible :) I have a friend who I would say is a i , and her hair is about waist and still growing. She looks so gorgeous with the hair, its always silky and soft and suits her very well.
I wonder if fine hair has a smaller risk of getting split ends? There isn't much to split now is there ^^ But higher risk of breakage. At least that's how my hair behaves, I never find any splits, but I have a lot of shorter hairs on the first layer of my hair because of breakage. Protein and a lot of moisture sure seems to make it so much stronger! And also supplements of biotin and silica.

Raponsje
August 23rd, 2009, 05:29 AM
It can be done. 13 years ago my hair was at hip. Now it is at waist. I do see a difference though. Back then the hemline was thicker. I don't really know if that is age or post-natal shedding (twice) at work.

Marika
August 23rd, 2009, 06:55 AM
It is possible :) I have a friend who I would say is a i , and her hair is about waist and still growing. She looks so gorgeous with the hair, its always silky and soft and suits her very well.
I wonder if fine hair has a smaller risk of getting split ends? There isn't much to split now is there ^^ But higher risk of breakage. At least that's how my hair behaves, I never find any splits, but I have a lot of shorter hairs on the first layer of my hair because of breakage. Protein and a lot of moisture sure seems to make it so much stronger! And also supplements of biotin and silica.

I know many people with fine hair who never get split ends. I envy them so much because I've always had tons of split ends!:( I have sometimes even found those split ends which look like a christmas tree with over 10 "branches"!:shocked: I think my record is 14... That's why I've pretty much given up S&D because it's a never-ending job. If I happen to spot a split end, I cut it but that's it!

Lilli
August 23rd, 2009, 08:02 AM
I know many people with fine hair who never get split ends. I envy them so much because I've always had tons of split ends!:( I have sometimes even found those split ends which look like a christmas tree with over 10 "branches"!:shocked: I think my record is 14... That's why I've pretty much given up S&D because it's a never-ending job. If I happen to spot a split end, I cut it but that's it!

I never get split ends.

lawyermom
August 23rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
"Thanks for starting this thread" from me, too - very encouraging. I worry about it being too thin to grow and look good, I worry about the fact that it's so much thicker in the back than on the sides, that my temples are so thin that updos look awful.... too much worrying!

spidermom
August 23rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
I saw a woman in the grocery store a couple of years ago with quite fine and thin hair that went from a high ponytail down to mid-calf. No kidding! The bottom wasn't very many hairs thick, but it still had the "wow" factor.

Jemoiselle
August 23rd, 2009, 11:37 AM
Hello! TB length here, fine and going strong! It can be done =) I never thought it would be possible, but here is my living proof!

Hehe.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_k-wURBYDpMg/SleoRFTn_CI/AAAAAAAAALk/5snw2k1PVas/s512/DSC02329.JPG

kam984420
August 23rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
Hello! TB length here, fine and going strong! It can be done =) I never thought it would be possible, but here is my living proof!

Hehe.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_k-wURBYDpMg/SleoRFTn_CI/AAAAAAAAALk/5snw2k1PVas/s512/DSC02329.JPG

Your hair looks really healthy and really LONG congrats!

spidermom
August 23rd, 2009, 11:48 AM
Wow Jemoiselle; your hair looks great!

I wanted to add that thickness isn't a factor in hair growth, it's how long each hair keeps growing before it stalls and then sheds out along with how well you take care of your hair and how often you cut it. Obviously the woman I saw had a very long growth cycle, and I don't think she ever cut it.

I had a friend with average to thick, dark brown, medium to coarse, American Indian hair, and her terminal length was about BSL. Her hairs had short growth cycles.

Jemoiselle
August 23rd, 2009, 11:49 AM
:flower: Thank you!

I've been working on it for a long time, in fact, pre-LHC I wasn't able to get it past "mid-back". I am so thankful for this group! I couldn't have done it without you all. :grouphug: Awww. ETA: I cut it almost every month, too! Seems to help me anyway. I cut about 1/2-1inch each time, my hemline thanks me for it. When I tried to go no-trim my hair protested, hehe.

lynnala
August 23rd, 2009, 01:00 PM
Jemoiselle, your hair is gorgeous! Thank you for posting that very inspirational pic!

I just trimmed about 1 1/2" of stringy junk off of my ends and my hair looks so much better! Fortunately my hair grows at a fairly regular pace, so I should be back at waist quickly. I'm going for tailbone....

shadowclaw
August 23rd, 2009, 08:09 PM
I don't have have long hair, but I did have it at waist at one point. Currently, it's a bit past BSL. I'm aiming for Classic. My hairs are fine, but I have normal thickness, although it is on the thinner side of normal. I don't think fine-ness has as much to do with length as you think. When I had it at waist way back when, I trimmed semi-regularly and had a straight, blunt hemline with very healthy ends. I also washed and blow-dried every single day. I'm quite certain I can make it to Classic or beyond, especially since I'm taking much better care of it now.

I think the real question is if your hair is weak or strong. Fine hairs can still be strong if they are healthy, and handling has a lot to do with that as well.

wahmof9
August 24th, 2009, 12:02 AM

Hehe.

You are an inspiration! Your hair is beautiful.

Jemoiselle
August 24th, 2009, 01:27 AM
Thank you for your touching compliments :) I have trouble picturing myself as an inspiration to anyone here, hehe because it seems like just yesterday I joined and felt so inadequate with all these glorious covetable "bun eats woman's head" photos of thick luscious hair! I have come to accept my hair as it is, and it has really thanked me for it I think. There is a beauty that comes with inner hair peace! :D Now that I am firm on obtaining classic length, I am a complete believer in the power of fine hair! It just takes a lot of TLC and patience.

I encourage anyone with fine thin hair to rise to the occasion :cheer:and believe that not only can you do it, you WILL do it! And wait, there are perks to being fine and very long! The weight is minimal even at extreme lengths, you can use a small medium and/or large ficcare for styling buns etc (at least I can) and your product usage should be less, along with air drying time (you ARE air drying, right? Right!) than the average longhair! It is like having most of the long hair perks without most of the longhair grumbles hehe.

For the bun envy, we have sockie buns. There you go! I figured out how to make an even bigger sock bun by taking one of my Military Hubby's combat boot type super duper THICK black knit socks and making my sock form with that. It is like twice as big as using a regular sock, and makes my bun look like it is the length it is. Voila! I also found taking measurements each month very rewarding, as it let me know what I was doing right or wrong, heaven forbid. For instance, I could tell one month when I didn't use my coconut oil that it made a negative difference in my length aka breakage. My hair is fragile, I feel anyway. I feel like I am ranting, ok I'm gonna reel it in for a while until someone else says something I absolutely cannot resist!

Sigh, I just love it here. Hope all of you lovely ladies and gents have a great evening.

willowcandra
August 24th, 2009, 02:33 AM
I have fine long hair. I got to classic but the ends were so fine that they tangled as soon as you breathed near them.

For me the following things have helped me to thicken up and stay manageable.

I cut up to tailbone and got rid of the thin damaged hairs....most of this damage was due to years of chemical colour and poor care.

I hennad...this has helped prevent splits and damage and has made my hair feel thicker.

I sorted out a hormone imbalance and this meant my hair got thicker-even though the strands are still fine.

I have begun using a small amount of oil on the ends to keep friction damage down and the ends protected.

I started washing more often! I was washing fortnightly and this meant dry ends! I am now washing gently twice a week, trying to switch the midweek one to co.

I also started using a leave in and this means I can go outside with loose hair and not dry to a crisp within minutes.

I think it really is just a case of doing all the things that we know we should and being gentle.

hennaphile
August 24th, 2009, 02:47 AM
My hair is at TBL and thin as a pencil. It used to be classic and very thick. boooo.

lambhair
August 24th, 2009, 09:28 AM
I don't know if my hair qualifies as *super long* but it is past tailbone and is slippery straight fine hair. I think all it is (as many have said) is a matter of being gentle with your hair and aware of how you are treating it. I found that I could not take it for granted and had to be cautious with how I washed/combed/brushed/styled it and if I put in a moderate amount of care-I would have good results as to growth and strength. On the other hand I do wash my hair more often that I would prefer-I workout and ride my bike anywhere from 6-20 miles a day, 6 days a week so it gets realllllly sweaty!- probably on average every other day.

tangocurl
August 24th, 2009, 09:38 AM

WOW, Jemoiselle...your hair is fantastic :disco:

CaityBear
August 24th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I have fine and thinnish hair. It's not really thick, but it's not incredibly thin either. Well, it's to the top of my but right now, not quite TBL, but close. Having fine hair hasn't really stopped me. Though you do have to be very careful with it definately if it is prone to breakage.

naomimcc
August 24th, 2009, 09:53 AM
It's taken me 12 years to hit tailbone...but I'm there. You just have to take extra good care of it and be a bit more gentle. But it can be done!

Rhea
September 13th, 2009, 08:22 AM
Here comes another fine hair . From pixie in 2002 to hip now in 2009 . With regularly trims . My circumference average 7cm/2.76" .

tangocurl
September 13th, 2009, 08:40 AM
Here comes another fine hair . From pixie in 2002 to hip now in 2009 . With regularly trims . My circumference average 7cm/2.76" .

More inspiration! Your pics are great!

MandyBeth
January 15th, 2010, 04:38 PM
A short, but super fine checking in!!!!

I think the one thing that really is a discouragement for growing my hair out - toys and baubles don't work well. Never mind an elastic, those fall out. French barrettes will break my hair from looking at it. Jaw clips are either too small and I pop the spring (curses of the iii issue) or they are too big and they fall out.

Plus the issue of snarls. My hair likes to go visit it's neighboring hair and they like to tie up in knots. Then it breaks because while it is strong, it's but so strong and tangles win.

One thing my short hair demands yet is lots and lots of conditioner - but I think that's in relation to my scalp demanding it's shampoo and I don't have the length yet to not have the drying from washing often, so I let my hair have all the conditioner and oil it'd like, even if it results in a bad hair day - I have to wash it the next day anyways.

I've never made it to SL yet - and my terminal may not be anything past SL or APL - but my hair is going to find out what it can do!

verene
January 15th, 2010, 05:48 PM
Another superfine checking in. Not super long yet, but I've managed to grow to hip. I find keeping it up most of the time is what saves me hair. It's starting to get a bit of taper, but I think I should be able to make it to my goal of tailbone, and then work on thickening up the ends once I've reached it.

The fun thing about super fine hair is how collapsible it is in hair styles. I normally wear my hair in a tight bun. Wearing my hair down in a braid I shocked my manager with how long it is - she had no idea that I was managing to fit so much length into a normal looking bun.

Fiferstone
January 15th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I'm approaching tailbone and for better than 10 years was at waist (pre-LHC). I also enjoy the "stealth" factor since any bun I do is small to average sized. I just want to see how long terminal actually is on me, now that I know tailbone is definitely possible. I'm within 2 inches of tailbone (34" on me, one of the side benefits of being short into the bargain). My circumference at nape is exactly 3 inches. I'm also babying dye-damaged length by trimming about 1/4 of an inch every 2-3 months or whenever I notice that it's getting unnaceptably snarly/snaggly. If anyone wants a gander here's a recent length pic: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=4590&pictureid=59046

Olde Soul
January 15th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I'm currently tailbone and super fine. I've also got the tiny bun problem. :(

Alcenaia
January 15th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Checking in here. My hair is quite fine and I've made it nearly to classic.

My mother has approximately the same hair type as I do and before children she had hair almost as long as mine. She taught me the basics of how to take care of long hair. Now I'm off at college and her hair is bleached at collarbone. Part of the impetus for joining the LHC was to learn if I could take even better care of my mane, since its growth seems to be slowing. I want to see how far I can get it to grow. :)

Felix_D
January 31st, 2010, 10:13 AM
It's so encouraging to see so many ladies with F/i hair, who've managed to grow it out long. I've been so discouraged over the years trying to grow mine out that I've decided it's impossible.

Now that I've learned to take care of it (d'oh! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=41268)), I'm much more excited about giving the grow another go.

ArienEllariel
January 31st, 2010, 03:09 PM
I'm hoping to be able to grow my hair long as well and I have fine hair. Thanks to LHC I've reached almost APL and my ends are pretty healthy (unlike the last time I let it grow to even this length). I really have a mixture of Fine and Medium hair but the majority of it is fine. Reading about all the other fine haired long hairs here it makes me happy and gives me hope of hitting TBL one day.

Off topic:I almost feel like there should be 2 separate catagories for fine haired people: fine and baby fine. Now I know I have fine hair (which used to be the silky slippery baby fine kind until I hit 12 or 13) but it's changed texture to some extent since then. I have a friend who still has baby fine hair- the kind that won't hold a hair stick to save its life. While both of us have "fine" hair, we don't really have the same hair type. It's kinda hard to know what to do with one's hair when you have such a diverse group of fine haired ladies and gents. What might work for me might not work for someone with slippery baby fine hair and vice versa.

LadyVictoria
January 31st, 2010, 03:25 PM
*raises hand* I am part of this club! The longest my hair has been is TB, I do not know if it will grow longer because I have never given it a chance. Before finding TLHC I didn't take very good care of my hair, I would abuse it, wait until my ends were unbearable to look at, then chop 6" off. I have finally entered into a healthier relationship with my hair and am aiming towards terminal.

Bunnicula
January 31st, 2010, 06:33 PM
My hair is so fine that it breaks just by looking at it. When I was a kid, it was waist length (granted, I was shorter) but I haven't been able to stand growing it past BSL since then. I think this has been due to the itch I get to do something incredibly stupid to it every time it starts to get long. I guess I just get bored with lank brown hair that just hangs there. Hopefully now that I know about all these fun updos, I'll resist the urge to bleach/dye/etc. and get back to waist length.

Also, hairdressers always tell me that I have tons of hair, even though it's very fine, but I don't feel like there's much at all. My hair definitely does the collapsable bun trick, which is sad because I love the look of a giant bun on someone's head. I guess that's what sock buns are for!

LadyVictoria
January 31st, 2010, 07:05 PM
I kinda like having a tiny bun because I love people's reaction when I take it down. I learned that I can make my buns appear bigger if I make them loose.

HildeMV
January 31st, 2010, 07:37 PM
Tiny buns are cool.

Rivanariko
January 31st, 2010, 07:56 PM
I'm in on this one. I've got really fine hair that tangles in a draftless room and breaks if you look at it wrong. Pre-LHC it wandered between waist and BSL because I left it down most of the time, so it tangled a lot, and then dragged a brush through it so I cause a lot of damage. Since I've been wearing it up and stopped brushing, I've grown out to a solid hip. I'm hoping to make at least TB, and I'd love to go to classic. I'm curious as to what my terminal length will actually be, but I don't know if I'll be able to manage hair that long!

The tiny bun doesn't bother me. I also like the stealth factor, lol. My boss was making a copy of my drivers license for my background check, looked at the picture from when I was 16 and said "Oh, you had such long hair!" I laughed and took my bun down and her eyes nearly popped out of her head.

chotee
January 31st, 2010, 08:02 PM
Really really encouraging thread...thanks. People wouldn't classify my hair on the thin side but as Emichee says, different people have different kind of hair...mine is 4" at the nape but it thins out really fast and abruptly which means my braid ends up real thin. So, its discouraging i eventually cut it when i reaches tailbone or so. The last cut was almost 5 inches. But i hope being here on this thread would encourage me to see if i can go past tailbone this time...thanks and each one of you have gr8 hair

Naamah
January 31st, 2010, 11:11 PM
It's definitely possible to have very long hair that's fine and thin. It just requires more care. Wearing it up in protective updos most of the time, and wearing it up while sleeping should help a lot. I try to do that. My hair is fine and of medium thickness. I've been trimming regularly to thicken up my hemline too.

MandyBeth
February 1st, 2010, 07:47 AM
See, my iii hair will collapse so it looks like less - tho' it's really good about not working with toys that it should. Hrmph. Small Flexi-8s are too small for my hair in a half up.

But the fine part means that I look at it cross eyed and it breaks. Put those 2 together, gak. Some days, there is just no help for my hair.

I've found that for my hair to behave (at chin, maybe) - I treat it like it's fine (lots of babying the ends, give it lots of condish before washing scalp, carefully removing snarls...) - but get the toys meant for iii hair.

Ksenia
March 21st, 2010, 11:06 PM
So I'm not the only one who gets tiny bun syndrome! Does anyone know of some fun hairstyles that work for those of us with superfine hair? I do the cinnamon bun or a figure-8 most days, sometimes a French twist. A lot of styles that look gorgeous on most other ladies with hair my length just look anaemic on me.

joiekimochi
March 21st, 2010, 11:24 PM
I reached TBL once but my ends were in terrible shape (split, strawlike and self-dreaded despite lots of cone conditioners and detangling) because I had a fondness for chemical dyes. When I went to a salon, all the hairdressers and shampoo boys came by my chair to marvel over the length and tried to convince me to perm my 1a/f/i hair but I knew that would result in my hair falling off my head. I had it cut back to BSL (strangely it took me a long time to persuade my stylist to chop off the last 10 inches) and it didn't turn out too bad...at least my hair looked thicker and more importantly I could finally run my fingers through my hair all the way to the tips! I'm currently growing it back to TBL and if my hair still holds up I'm going to attempt classic length.

I find that hair texture/thickness have nothing on whether we can have superlong hair. It's health.

oceanwoman111
March 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
It's definitely possible to have very long hair that's fine and thin. It just requires more care. Wearing it up in protective updos most of the time, and wearing it up while sleeping should help a lot. I try to do that. My hair is fine and of medium thickness. I've been trimming regularly to thicken up my hemline too.

I'm so happy that I found this thread! :cheese: I've been feeling discouraged lately. Stopped semi-perm coloring which used to make it look darker and thicker. I guess at this length, below BSL, I thought there would be more of it. Looking at the pics on this thread are very inspiring. Gives me hope that my hair can look great at long lengths.

Naamah, I've found that regular trims help to keep the the thickness consistent from top to bottom too.

As for cutting it, not a option for me. It just looks fine, flat and short. No thanks. I think no matter what type of hair, long hair always looks exceptional. :thumbsup:

lynnala
April 1st, 2010, 09:07 PM
Just wanted to report in that I've passed waist length! Will be taking new pics shortly. Also have to do a very light dusting as I just found some splits.

PrincessTieflin
February 4th, 2011, 07:11 PM
So many of you seem to have the same texture as me.. so why has mine stalled at APL? :(

*leh sigh* yall have lovely hair.. I hope mine grows up to be that pretty :)