PDA

View Full Version : giving up the brush challenge (comb only)

squiggyflop
February 6th, 2009, 08:01 PM
well i cant find any other threads like this.. anyone else trying to give up brushing..

today i saw that 80% of my hairs are split.. im thinking that my heavy use of brushes this month may have something to do with it..

so im going to try going comb only starting now.. my goal is at least a month.. we will see if my willpower gives out and i run back to my BBB and wooden bristle brush..

the last time i tried comb only it didnt work out.. however im thinking it was because i didnt have a wide tooth comb.. now ive got my nice mebco shower detangler (i removed the seams) its doing a great job so far..

and since im doing the hair up/contained challenge too i dont have to worry all that much about tangles..

my tools
horn finetooth
seamless acrylic conair comb (fine tooth)
mebco shower detangler (which works great for regular detangling)

anyone wanna take this challenge with me?..

mods if there is another thread please combine..

enitsirk
February 6th, 2009, 08:04 PM
I already don't brush (I pretty much threw away my brushes when I joined...once I got a wide tooth horn comb) but I was just going to say good luck and that I believe the wide tooth comb will do the trick.

I thought I hated combs until I tried one that didn't have teeth that were practically touching each other!

PurpleAshes
February 6th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I haven't used a brush in 4 months.
At first, it was a bit difficult because I wasn't used to styling my hair just using my hands, but after a while I got the hang of it, and now it looks like I did use a brush. I only use combs when I want to do a ponytail and to detangle.

kam984420
February 6th, 2009, 08:24 PM
I dont brush either. Only comb. :cheese:

julya
February 6th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I don't brush very often. I have a wide shower comb I use on damp hair and a medium horn comb on dry hair.

tiny_teesha
February 6th, 2009, 09:09 PM
my sister keeps stealing my comb so i've been using my body shop brush. It is causing more spilts because a comb makes you be gentle and i used to comb then brush for the massage, but yeah. I want to go back to comb, i just have to remember to lock my door so it is where i left it!

Delila
February 6th, 2009, 09:14 PM
I already don't brush, so don't need to join the challenge, but I just thought I'd mention that finger combing out tangles and then using a wide toothed comb to smooth my hair has worked well for me for quite some time.

(I let my hair dry completely before I start trying to finger detangle, and make sure my hands are clean and dry before I begin.)

Best of luck in your challenge!

OhioLisa
February 6th, 2009, 09:17 PM
I haven't brushed in a couple years now. I think it's definitely worth the effort. Good luck! :)

Sunshine69
February 6th, 2009, 10:31 PM
I'm addicted to my BBB. I'm not very gentle to my hair when I brush it. If I find little tangles, I just power through them. I know it's bad, but it just feels more satisfying to me than combing. I wish i could stop using, but I can't break the habit. Good luck to you!

HairColoredHair
February 6th, 2009, 11:08 PM
Hide or throw out your brush, then...

Out of sight, out of mind!

Sunshine69
February 6th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Ok. I'll try it. I have a couple of combs that I really like. One's a detangling bone comb that I use usually in the shower or right afterward, and the other is a hand-carved horn comb that I fixed up with ultra-fine 3000 grit sand paper. I'll ask my husband to hide my brush from me. <<runs to bathroom for one last brushing fix>>

Mishka_84
February 6th, 2009, 11:53 PM
I decided to use a comb for a while. At first I didn't like it, but as I got used to it, I started liking it more. Until I got to the point where I only use my bristle brush for updos that need to be smooth. Now, I lost my comb on Wednsday!!! And I'm trying to use my brush, and it feels so wrong!! :D

Kibeth
February 7th, 2009, 12:18 AM
I haven't used a brush in years. I sprung for two horn combs and they're all I need. I think they're easier to detangle with because there's only one row of teeth (tines? bristles? what's the correct word?).

LadyEliza
February 7th, 2009, 01:48 AM
The only time I brush is just before I shampoo. But once my hair gets a little longer I'll stop brushing it totally and just comb.

HotRag
February 7th, 2009, 01:54 AM
I just use a seamless wide spaced plastic detangler and a horncomb (wide teeth).

I also have a massage brush for scalp, but nevete brush or detangle with that.

LadyLongLocks
February 7th, 2009, 08:24 AM
I quit brushing in 2005 for the most part. I only use a paddle brush while blow drying my hair but even that is less and less. I have several scunci wide tooth combs that I love. Combing does seem so much better for my hair (knee length) You can even hear a big difference combing vs brushing. Brushing snaps the hairs faster IMO. It may take a bit longer to comb, but its worth it.

squiggyflop
February 7th, 2009, 09:03 AM
well does anyone else have trouble getting hair into a smooth updo with a comb?..

rags
February 7th, 2009, 09:09 AM
Exactly the question I was going to ask, squiggyflop! I have very very fine straight hair, and it need to be smoothed for updos! That's about all I use a brush for, anymore.

Arfed
February 7th, 2009, 09:24 AM
I already don't brush, so don't need to join the challenge, but I just thought I'd mention that finger combing out tangles and then using a wide toothed comb to smooth my hair has worked well for me for quite some time.

(I let my hair dry completely before I start trying to finger detangle, and make sure my hands are clean and dry before I begin.)

Best of luck in your challenge!
Same for me, except sometimes I finger detangle whilst still wet/damp (wouldn't use any comb with wet hair though, as hairs snaps more easily when wet).

squiggyflop
February 7th, 2009, 11:21 AM
maybe a super fine tooth comb would work for smoothing.. but i have no idea where to get one thats seamless

CrystalStar
February 7th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Oh, I will join the challenge!! :)

Unfortunately, I own about 5 or 6 hairbrushes (don't laugh heehee :p) that lie everywhere around the house and I'm a bit of a brush addict :(

I'm sorry if this is a silly question but what exactly are seams? :)

elbow chic
February 7th, 2009, 01:45 PM
What's a good comb for regular detangling? I've been using the same old Goody paddle brush for years, and I DO brush hard.

squiggyflop
February 7th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Oh, I will join the challenge!! :)

Unfortunately, I own about 5 or 6 hairbrushes (don't laugh heehee :p) that lie everywhere around the house and I'm a bit of a brush addict :(

I'm sorry if this is a silly question but what exactly are seams? :)
um seams are the sharp edges where the mold that the plasic combs were made in come together.. they can shred hair.. if you are using a plastic comb from a regular store im betting its got seams.. seams are sometimes easy to remove with a pocket knife or a metal nail file..

What's a good comb for regular detangling? I've been using the same old Goody paddle brush for years, and I DO brush hard.
well so far ive been having great luck with a mebco shower detangler (http://production.web.sallybeauty.demandware.net/Mebco-Tortoise-Shower-Detangler/SBS-183952,default,pd.html) that i removed the seams from.. its got weird teeth that are supposed to be extra good for detangling..

Sunshine69
February 7th, 2009, 03:57 PM

I got a couple of bone combs from here: http://www.hairsense.com/bonecombs.htm it's the 7th row down in the 2nd column. I keep one in the shower and I love it.

elbow chic
February 7th, 2009, 10:34 PM
The bone combs are really beautiful. Yes, I need to quit brushing while wet.

Just snapped at least two hairs tonight, brushing it out. :( Is that not a horrible sound?

Sunshine69
February 7th, 2009, 10:41 PM
The bone combs are really beautiful. Yes, I need to quit brushing while wet.

Just snapped at least two hairs tonight, brushing it out. :( Is that not a horrible sound?

I don't like that sound either. It gives me the creeps. :shudder:

The bone combs are great. The ones I ordered didn't have any sharp edges on them anywhere. I have a horn comb that I really like, but I had to work it over with ultra-fine grit sand paper to smooth out the (for lack of a better word) crotches between the teeth. The sides of the teeth were smooth, but the crotches would snag my hair. I think it's gotten even better over the time I've had it. I might need to order one with finer teeth, though. Mine are basically for detangling.

Before I came to this site, I never realized how sharp the inside seams of my combs were.

elbow chic
February 7th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Comb crotches!

harpyangel
February 8th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I've found my old body shop wooden wide-toothed comb and resurrected it. Have also thrown away about 5 hairbrushes! So now I just have the comb, a paddle brush for emergencies, and a round brush if I ever decide to blow-dry (haven't for AGES).

Combing is so theraputic :) xxx

Kebbster
February 8th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Ive been working on this for a while, so I will join.

I can usually last a week, but eventually end up brushing. I tell myself I need to sometimes with WO, but honestly the comb is just as effective, I just like the feel of the brush. Its addictive :)

Im certain the brush causes more splits.

allege
February 8th, 2009, 09:51 AM
A couple years ago after hearing all of the girls here talk about how great their hair looks after giving up the brush I made the switch. I went online and found a good seamless comb (I can remember were I got it but I think I spent around 25.00 on it.) When the comb came in I gathered all of my hair brushes and tossed them in the trash. I haven't went back to brushing since

going gray
February 8th, 2009, 12:06 PM
I've been using my Mason Pearson brush very gently on my hair, & it would be hard to give up & just use a comb. Plus it's impossible for me to put my hair up with a comb.

Feline
February 9th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I gave up brushing about 6 months ago, using a wide tooth comb only. Originally this was for detangling purposes after a couple of nastybad windblown messes, then I just stopped using the brush altogether. Seems to work, I have less breaking and less static. Will continue....

Dorothy
February 9th, 2009, 10:04 PM
Since I've been on here I've gone to combs not brushes. I haven't been thinking about the seams. The "bone" combs on the suggested website seem to be a bakelite type resin, rather than bone. I've also heard that horn combs are good. I found a sort of "hairpick" style one on Ebay but I'm not sure if I can comb my hair given the angles involved. Anybody got an idea about what's best?

squiggyflop
February 13th, 2009, 12:54 PM
day 8?.. i cant seem to get the tanngles out of the crown.. how it is that i got tangles so close to the roots is beyond me.. i couldnt even get them out with my head soaked in coney conditioner.. i cant get my hair back in an updo without a ton of bumps.. my wood bristle brush was tempting me today but i didnt give in..

HotRag
February 14th, 2009, 03:13 AM
day 8?.. i cant seem to get the tanngles out of the crown.. how it is that i got tangles so close to the roots is beyond me.. i couldnt even get them out with my head soaked in coney conditioner.. i cant get my hair back in an updo without a ton of bumps.. my wood bristle brush was tempting me today but i didnt give in..
I have never had that problems with combs.
Are you sure you start combing at the part, and not forget that? It's easy to forget and just comb the lengths.

I do just do updos that are low (even the sleeping styles), and that keeps the hair near my scalp in the same position as when loose, so maybe I would have problems if I woud make higher updos.

Queenie
February 14th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Ooh, why do I only see this just now? I gave up brushing about 2 weeks ago. I'm struggling with thinning ends and I can't figure out what's causing them. I don't think I'm at terminal length, plus I only do a full wash about twice a month and I keep my hair up all the time. So the only thing left to be the culprit was brushing, which I only did right before washing (but quite thoroughly).
My hair seems to be doing just fine. I've been using a bakelite wide tooth comb from Hairsense (http://www.hairsense.com/blackbonecombs.htm) for ages, I have both sizes.

squiggyflop
February 14th, 2009, 08:29 AM
I have never had that problems with combs.
Are you sure you start combing at the part, and not forget that? It's easy to forget and just comb the lengths.

I do just do updos that are low (even the sleeping styles), and that keeps the hair near my scalp in the same position as when loose, so maybe I would have problems if I woud make higher updos.
that could be.. hmmm i wear higher updos.. low ones bother my neck and rub against my winter jacket too much..

Hekuro
February 14th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I gave up brushing a little while ago (a few months i think?). Problem is, I haven't found a comb that likes my hair. But I've been searching for something just like the ones on hairsense. I need something with wide spaces between the teeth, not the wide-toothed combs always recommended. Those just make more tangles in my hair. So thanks for linking the website! I'm going to have to pick one up.

Anyway, I've definitely been freaked out by the snapping noises when I brush. Even my boyfriend, who doesn't care about treating hair gently and all that, winces at the noises. It's pretty terrible. Oddly enough, the tangle teaser was unbelievably bad for my hair. Far worse than my BBB. I've got splits all over, and they got even worse after the TT, so I figured I'd better give up brushing.

I do use the BBB occasionally on my scalp to smooth out an updo, but I'm getting better about doing it with my hands only. The past couple of months I've pretty much been finger combing.

The more I take care of my hair, LHC style, the more it changes. Every day is like a whole new adventure with my hair...but I think overall it's improving in quality. So finger combing works ok now, where it wouldn't have a year ago.

Hopefully I'll see less breakage in the future. Glad to hear others have had good experiences with this.

~Hekuro