PDA

View Full Version : Protein in conditioner?

Emme76
March 29th, 2008, 09:12 AM
Please, can you all help me!!!!:o

I got 2 conditioners from Lush a while back. Can you look at the ingredients and see if it has any protein in it?? Or if you know what some of the other ingredients are (the weird once, for me that is all new to this :rolleyes:)?
Also - how often is protein bad for your hair? I understand for some - it works great.

Retread: Agar seaweed infusion, soyamilk, propylen glycol, fresh cantalope melon, natural yoghurt, cetearyl alcohol, sodium lauryl sulfate, olive oil, avocado oil, lanolin, cetrimonium bromide, jojoba oil, synthetic musk violet leaf, orange blossom, neroili oil.

Coolaun: Fresh coconut decoction, fresh coconut milk, sodium lauryl sulfate, propylene glycol, lanolin, fresh lemon juice, vetivert oil, benzoin resinoid, styrax resinoid, cetrimonium bromide.

Some of the ingredients I have no clue what they are :o!!!!
The yoghurt and the different kinds of milk...should have some proteins? And also the sulfate, what does that do?

Would love to hear all your expert advice :cheese:!!!!
The thing is that my hair feels very soft, but when I look in the mirror - the ends look dry. I use coconut oil, olive oil, do deep oiling at times.....

Thank you again....for your time!
/Emme

GlassEyes
March 29th, 2008, 09:18 AM
I think coconut milk and soy milk are both high protein ingredients.

And uh, since those conditioners have sodium lauryl sulfate in them, I probably wouldn't touch them. e-e

Emme76
March 29th, 2008, 09:28 AM
What does the sulfate do???? Is that to take away "cones"?
Sorry all the questions....I am still a newbie :)!!!!
/Emme

jojo
March 29th, 2008, 09:32 AM
here you go, this will explain what sulfates are, i also don't use them

http://www.jasoncosmetics.com/sodium_lauryl_sulfate.html

Isilme
March 29th, 2008, 10:04 AM
still some of us can't have pretty hair without sulfates. I think it's a matter of what works for you.

aisling
March 29th, 2008, 10:08 AM
I think sulphates are fine, to some extent, in shampoos. As they're detergents, it's a bit weird to see them in conditioners, as conditioners aren't really supposed to clean your hair (said by this CO washer :)) but condition it. On the other hand, as there's lanolin, for many something that sticks to their hair and is hard to get out, perhaps the sulphate is there for a reason.

Emme76
March 29th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Thank you!
Maybe I should ask next time I stop by Lush - if they have a specific reason to add it, like you suggest, aisling.
I really like the conditioner...makes my hair very shiny and soft, but a bit dry at the ends. Can it be the
he sulphate? Or it doesnīt do that?

I have read good things about lushs products, and they often have only good things in their stuff - but then on the otherhand, I donīt know much about it myself..since I am all new to this ....:rolleyes:!!!!

Thankīs again :)
/Emme

akurah
March 29th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Thank you!
Maybe I should ask next time I stop by Lush - if they have a specific reason to add it, like you suggest, aisling.
I really like the conditioner...makes my hair very shiny and soft, but a bit dry at the ends. Can it be the
he sulphate? Or it doesnīt do that?

I have read good things about lushs products, and they often have only good things in their stuff - but then on the otherhand, I donīt know much about it myself..since I am all new to this ....:rolleyes:!!!!

Thankīs again :)
/Emme

I'm not a big fan of LUSH, predominately because the LIE to the consumer by re-labelling some ingredients to look as if they were something else.

Sulfates can be drying, and while i love them in my shampoos, I would never use them in a conditioner.

Emme76
March 29th, 2008, 12:06 PM
So that can be the reason why my ends feel dry!
I never tried their products before. Does sound strange that they do put in in conditioner.
So frustrating, cause it was not cheap....:(
Donīt know what I should try instead???? Any ideas....???
I got the products from them trying to be more "gentle" to my hair...Maybe they will have other products..that are better....

Thanks again...
/Emme

Isilme
March 29th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I have read that the reason they put sulfates in their deep treatments is that the stuff is so heavy (think cocoa butter for example) that it won't rinse out unless SLS is added. That's what I have heard.

Emme76
March 29th, 2008, 03:34 PM
ok!!!!
So it is still ok to use???
Ahhhh, I get comfused...I guess it depends on how my hair reacts to it :)! As I understand there is no certain answer.

Thank you!
/Emme

akurah
March 29th, 2008, 03:54 PM
ok!!!!
So it is still ok to use???
Ahhhh, I get comfused...I guess it depends on how my hair reacts to it :)! As I understand there is no certain answer.

Thank you!
/Emme

There is almost never a certain answer when it comes to hair care. ;)