PDA

View Full Version : Best way to straighten one's hair?

Cipher Highwind
March 29th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I tried a hair straightener for awhile; and stopped as I noticed it was causing tangles and a breaks, so I was wondering if there was a chemical straightener that may help...I am beginning to think that the 'waviness' in conjunction with the thickness may be making the hair tangle more than otherwise.

Thanks

spidermom
March 29th, 2008, 12:18 PM
Having thick, wavy/curly hair myself, I'd have to say that chemical straighteners (as well as heat straighteners) would cause damage, which would cause more tangling and breakage. My hair is easiest to manage when:
a) it has been freshly trimmed,
b) I thoroughly oil it the day before washing, then wash gently CWC method using diluted shampoo, and
c) leave some conditioner in my hair. Generally I massage the second conditioner into my dripping wet length, then I squeeze as much of the water out of my length as I can. I do not rinse the conditioner out.

Just in case you don't know, CWC means apply conditioner to length, wash scalp area then rinse, allowing suds to run through your length, then apply conditioner again. I used to comb the second conditioner through at shorter lengths, but I can't at this length - it causes stretching and damage.

Mahars
March 29th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I've never tried it myself, but there's a relatively new salon technique called thermal reconditioning. It was originally developed in Japan and is still popular all over Asia. It's supposed to cause very little damage to hair compared to regular chemical straightening. Friends I know who've done it have pin-straight hair. I'm talkin really really straight to the point where it's so smooth it almost looks like vinyl doll hair. I amost got it done, but I like to wear my hair curly sometimes and it's really expensive in the states. Most salons charge about 400 to 600 dollars for it. I don't know why it costs so much, but possibly it's because it takes many hours to complete. Might be worth looking into if you have the money.

Nynaeve
March 29th, 2008, 03:29 PM
I can't think of any straightening method that would not cause damage.
If you are having trouble with tangles, I would suggest lightly oiling your hair, maybe with coconut oil.

anna1850
March 29th, 2008, 03:44 PM
If it is tangling it is probably because it is damaged. Chemical straightening is quite damaging as it is similar to a perm but done straight

List of non-damaging straightening methods:
1. Dampen you hair and separate into pigtails, wind a long ribbon around the length of each pigtail and tie at the end. This keeps the hair straight whilst it dries (this one gets the best results for me and is easiest and is comfortable to sleep on)
2. Make your hair damp. Tie your hair either into a ponytail or pigtails and continue to tie lots of hair ties at 1-2 inch gaps down the hair. For this to work the hair must become "stiff" - ie when you lift it at the top of the ponytail the rest must move without being floppy. (This sometimes works for me and sometimes doesn't)
3. "The Doobie" - Wrapping your hair around your head, effectively using your head as a giant roller (see video www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5BzYBME06Q for wrapping technique)
4. If you can get hold of some really big rollers (Over 3" diameter) these should leave your hair straight, although I've never been able to find any this big. To minimise damage try not to use the ones with velcro as these aren't good for your hair.
5. Some people have success just putting their hair into a non-twisting bun whilst damp and leaving to dry (this doesn't work for me though)

Try any of these with damp hair and leave overnight so that they are dry by the morning. The results won't be quite as good as with heat-straightening but as your hair is not too curly you may get OK results.

LadyTheta
June 11th, 2019, 10:13 PM
This thread from 2008 was the only one that came up in my search for 'hair straightener treatment'.
I am keen to hear of anyone's more recent experience specifically with the Pura Luxe hair treatment, newest process sans formaldehyde ,
a lengthy salon process, i.e. Pura Luxe Amino Acid Treatment -->straightening/smoothing hair treatment. Anyone had the Pura Luxe straightening hair treatment? (If so, please share any before/after pics of your lovely mane, thank you.;))

This is showing leagues above and beyond any of the Brazilian blowout, or Japanese, or keratin straightening processes.
However, availability of salons is quite limited; largely in the So. California salons; little to no availability in the Pacific NW USA, however.

lapushka
June 12th, 2019, 04:27 PM
If it is a straightening treatment, it is still quite a damaging process, however you twist & turn it. :) So beware!

Alex Lou
June 12th, 2019, 09:00 PM
This thread from 2008 was the only one that came up in my search for 'hair straightener treatment'.
I am keen to hear of anyone's more recent experience specifically with the Pura Luxe hair treatment, newest process sans formaldehyde ,
a lengthy salon process, i.e. Pura Luxe Amino Acid Treatment -->straightening/smoothing hair treatment. Anyone had the Pura Luxe straightening hair treatment? (If so, please share any before/after pics of your lovely mane, thank you.;))

This is showing leagues above and beyond any of the Brazilian blowout, or Japanese, or keratin straightening processes.
However, availability of salons is quite limited; largely in the So. California salons; little to no availability in the Pacific NW USA, however.

Try asking in the keratin treatment thread.

AutobotsAttack
June 12th, 2019, 10:04 PM
You’d probably be better off with a thermal treatment of some sort.

LadyTheta
June 13th, 2019, 08:47 PM
Thanks, Alex Lou, Lapushka.
Will try in the keratin treatment thread.

Haven
June 13th, 2019, 10:32 PM
I've done the wrapping method before, it took me from 2a to 1b and was easy and comfortable to sleep in :) I would recommend it as a non-damaging, non-permanent straightening method.