PDA

View Full Version : Uneven hair growth

annielauri
February 6th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I rarely wear my hair down and even more rarely look at the back of it. I did both yesterday and one side of my hair was almost an inch longer than the other. :( So, I had to cut it. The hair on the longer side also seems thicker and stronger. Any reason for this? I switch out how I wear my hair, use cassia, CV soaps and have a silk pillowcase.

Silver & Gold
February 6th, 2009, 06:40 AM
I think there are many reasons for this. I've cut other people's hair for years and what I've found is that it is not at all unusual for people to have hair that grows faster on some areas of the head vs the other. Also I've noticed that handedness comes into it at times as people tend to pull the hair more in one direction according to the hand they use to brush/comb the hair. This often creates more stress on one side than the other and so there can often be more handling damage on one side than the other.

Samikha
February 6th, 2009, 06:43 AM
Is there anything that one side of your hair is more exposed to than the other? If you don't wear it down, I doubt it, but it is possible.

Mostly, though, hair doesn't grow evenly. It's not at all uncommon to have one side grow faster than the other, nor that the center grows faster than the sides - a natural v-shape - or the sides faster than the center. Genetics are the most likely culprit.

Copasetic
February 6th, 2009, 07:05 AM
I don't know what could be causing uneven damage, but I also experience uneven growing. My hair looks ridiculous right now, but I really don't want to get a trim.

auburnlocks
February 6th, 2009, 07:15 AM
My hair grows unevenly as well. The right side grows faster than the left. While I was nursing my twins the right side started to curl, the left a wave. :poot:

TierraMWilson
February 6th, 2009, 07:17 AM
My hair does the same thing so I looked into a good pair of shears and found a host of hair scissors at Salon Hive. They're not your grandmother's shears either--my favorite are the blue titanium ones! Just remember to take the trimming slow at first. It's good to have a friend to help!
:spam:

suicides_eve
February 6th, 2009, 08:10 AM
:spam::spam::justy::patrol:

go sell your crappy scissors some where else...

suicides_eve
February 6th, 2009, 08:15 AM
my hair always grow uneven but the curls hide alot of it. i haven't trimed in 5 months so it's really starting to show just whats going on..

MsBubbles
February 6th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Well this is making me think (doesn't happen too often). There could be any number of things causing hair to be longer on one side. For my part, I am having a hard time doing my self-trim evenly, and having straight hair you can really tell.

But then there's laying predominantly on one side to sleep, combing/brushing predominantly with one hand, twisting hair the same way for updos (the pulling on the roots a certain way)...etc.

Somebody probably already did a poll about which side grows fastest/more on LHCers. Oh well, didn't find a poll, but another thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=15680).

annielauri
February 6th, 2009, 12:57 PM
I'm just sad that I had to cut so much off. I need to redo my stats now. :( I do tend to twist my hair clockwise more often so that would pull on the left more I guess. I'll have to remember to twist the other way more often.

Another ?. Does hair grow faster in the summer like everything else?? If so, I can't wait because my hair seems to be at a standstill.

Sissy
February 6th, 2009, 01:51 PM
I was thinking it could be due to mechanical damage from carrying a bag or heavy purse on the one side and having hair get snagged and broken under the shoulder strap of the bag. There are a lot of good thoughts here.

lora410
February 6th, 2009, 01:54 PM
My hair is like this as well. I place it in front of me and one side is longer. It doesn't bother me though.

Anje
February 6th, 2009, 02:03 PM
I don't think it's particularly unusual for hair to grow longer or thicker on one side. One member had an avatar picture for a long time where one of her two braids was about a foot longer than the other. It happens, and if you want to have an even hemline, it just means that you need to do microtrims more often.

The good thing about wearing your hair up a lot is that it's not noticeable.

sklent
February 8th, 2009, 12:34 PM
Hi,
I'm also going to say this is normal. My hair grows faster on the right side, and is also a little curlier on the right side!
I'm not bothered by it though, it's not too bad..
Like you said, you don't wear your hair down that often. If it really bother you, small trims are the way. :)