PDA

View Full Version : Crunchy, velcro ends?

AutumnLeaves
February 5th, 2009, 06:48 AM
After three years here, I am suddenly understanding when and LHCer says this about their hair. My hair seems like this now and I'm thinking of a trim, and yet I just do not want to do that yet. Sigh...

I thought I was having splits as there looked to be a blurred thickening at the ends of the individual hairs (yep, need glasses). When I pulled those hairs away, I found that there was not a split at all but simply a glint from the silver in my hair. So...what makes the ends like this? Is it possible it could just be my hair type, which is wild and wooly at its worst?

I only air dry and only use a curling iron on my bangs. I also only use a pick on my hair when it is wet. I'm kind of at a loss but am asking for ideas before I go ahead and get a small trim. When I say small, I mean like only 1/4 of an inch. I just do not want to have to do that yet; I wanted to wait longer until my hair is long enough so that the 1/4" makes no real difference. Help? Mommy!

suicides_eve
February 5th, 2009, 06:56 AM
i would suggest a trim (dusting). My dd hair is getting like that and i found even the smallest trim makes combing soooo much eaisier. I my self don't oil my hair (it rejects any thing like that) i can't say if that would work or not.

if your hair is all over like that, wouldn't it all be like the Velcro feeling? if it's only the ends feeling tangled i say trim it a bit

Stacy_E
February 5th, 2009, 07:20 AM
I'm trying to remember previous advice on this problem; it seems I remember people advising a clarifying shampoo followed by a good moisturizing conditioner, as the velcro-ness might be a result of build-up. Or, as I recall, it might be a result of protein build-up; in which case you would refrain from hair products that contain protein for awhile. I'd try both before trimming, if you are wanting to hold off on the trim for now.

rymorg2
February 5th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Definately do a clarifying shampoo followed by conditioner first. Velcro, crunch ends are USUALLY more of a sign of buildup over damage.

HairColoredHair
February 5th, 2009, 07:46 AM
Try clarifying first. Worst that happens is you trim it after. :)

AutumnLeaves
February 5th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Clarifying it will be then! Thanks friends!

Nightshade
February 5th, 2009, 02:07 PM
Clarify first :)

Also, what are you using on your ends? I found that on my damaged ends straight oil is a no-go. I had better luck with a Fox's Shea Conditioning cream (blending shea and coconut oil and cone-free conditioner), and then came up with my own concoction that's worked out even better for me.

So give clarification and a shea/oil blend a shot, and then dust if necessary :)

Anje
February 5th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Clarifying. Then look at your conditioner for protein, which gives me velcro ends, and if you've got a protein condish, cut it out for a few weeks and do protein-less moisture treatments to see if the velcro goes away. After that, you can think about trimming.