PDA

View Full Version : any negatives to heavy oiling hair ends 24/7?

pdy2kn6
February 5th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Since I am supposed to be moving to a sunny climate (australia), if i ever end up making it out of England, which isn't looking likely due to another heavy downfall of snow today and tomorrow (when my 2nd attempt to fly should be), I was considering applying oil to the ends of my hair on a regular basis, during my time in the country, probably avocado or coconut oil, and then keep it up in a scrunchie/wrapped with a satin scarf. I thought this would keep moisture in, and protect my hair from sun damage, what do you lot think? Do you guys ever heavy oil most days while wearing your everyday style? Would heavy oiling be harmful for my hair if done most days? eg a heavy oil applied after my wash and just keepo it on until my next wash (usually wash about twice a week). I would only apply it to the midlength/onwards so to ensure my hair follicles would not get clogged by the heavy oil. The oils being cold pressed edible avocado oil, and 100% edible coconut oil. or also cold pressed jojaba oil. By oiling i am talking about heavy heavy oiling, like drenching my ends, as opposed to lightly applying a tiny bit of oil daily.

Kuchen
February 5th, 2009, 02:31 AM
Sounds great to me. I think heavy oiling is only a problem if you leave your hair down and it fills up with lint and dirt attracted by the oil, leading to tangles.

chotee
February 5th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I have experience oiling my hair 24/7. This is a good thread to see the + and - points :smile:
I wash my hair and oil it the next day entirely and put it in a bun. wash it after 2/3 days again.
According to me, the + points are,

1. It keeps the hair in place and hence the hair doesn't break. I saw mine grow healthy and fast...
2. You can use a whole lot of different hair oils since you oil a little almost everyday. We can give a lot of different nutrients. I personally use Ramthirth, castor, coconut and neeli oil
3. Washing 2/3 times a week doesn't really strip the oil off the hair and you can still feel happy with the hair-health basically.
4. I sleep well when i do this.
5. Since its oily i am always trying to do updo's and learn new styles to make my hair look different each time.

-ve points can be,

1. I don't feel really happy about going for a evening with oily hair...i am so used to leave my hair down straight and silky...so a prior notice is needed
2. Sometimes humid weather can make me feel really oily all over....i feel like washing my hair on sweaty days....
3. Exercise with oily hair makes it even worse sometimes...

But, still i like to oil my hair 24/7 and would love to hang around here to hear what others say...

OhioLisa
February 5th, 2009, 03:08 AM
I oil my hair before putting into my daily updo, so I suppose I fall into the "24/7" category. :) It has been nothing but good for me. :)

manderly
February 5th, 2009, 03:41 AM
Hmmmmm, I do about 6 drops of coconut oil on my freshly washed hair.

I then do a drop or two every day to smooth and shine until my next wash.

My hair drinks it up for the most part, but occasionally I do get crunchies on the ends.

Girltron
February 5th, 2009, 03:48 AM
I use a larger amount on wet hair after a shower, and a small amount daily before I comb and BBB. But I ALSO often coat the extreme ends of my hair in extra oil, to help with detangling, and I've only noticed good things about doing that. It absorbs like crazy in the final inch of my hair.

Missie
February 5th, 2009, 04:49 AM
do you feel that because you'll be living in Australia that you'll need to do heavy oiling? I live in Australia and I do oil my ends.. I find it essential but I don't need to heavy oil. Maybe you won't either? I live in the midwest.. it gets hot here in summer..

rymorg2
February 5th, 2009, 04:59 AM
I don't think it'd be bad for your hair, but you may want to watch for buildup, and buildup from oils can be the worst thing to remove. I do oil a lot, and I get oily build up occasionally from too much oil, so I have to do just a little every day.

KiwiLiz
February 5th, 2009, 05:10 AM
do you feel that because you'll be living in Australia that you'll need to do heavy oiling? I live in Australia and I do oil my ends.. I find it essential but I don't need to heavy oil. Maybe you won't either? I live in the midwest.. it gets hot here in summer..

I was wondering this too, are you worried about humidity effecting your hair, or the sun drying it out?
I'm in Melbourne, it's not humid but it's hot (43 degrees on saturday, ugh), doing a to heavy oiling in that heat would make me feel kinda icky... even ickier if I lived in a humid part of the country. I guess it's all personal preference, you may just have to experiment with what feels right when you get down here.

Oh, and some advise unrelated to hair -Yes, Australia is a warm climate, but it can get cold, depending on where you are. So do bring some warm clothes!

sibylla
February 5th, 2009, 05:33 AM
I drench my tresses in coco nut oil as often as I can. I can go two days with oil in my hair (if I´m not going out). I´ve found no down side to it myself.

Kebbster
February 5th, 2009, 05:43 AM
I live in Oz, I only oil my ends and its plenty for my hair.

Oilings great, my ends love it, but I find overoiling just tends to make me more likely to overbrush or wash more often.

pdy2kn6
February 5th, 2009, 07:40 AM

Yeah, its more about the sun damage i am worried about, Some of my ends are really dry from when i spent everyday in the sun on a mauritius holiday 2 years ago. I heard avocado oil is great for its sun protecting properties, so i was more focused on the sun side of it. Its Sydney that I am going to, which I have heard is quite sunny

Aisha25
February 5th, 2009, 08:23 AM
I oil mine everyday and use alot of it and then braid them. Its how my family teach me so its worked great for me:D

Missie
February 5th, 2009, 02:33 PM
hi pdy2kn6, yes it does get pretty warm and dry in Sydney in summer.. fairly similar to the climate where I live in the west. I think you might find that lightly oiling your damp hair after washing and taking good care of it might be enough. When the weather becomes particularly hot and dry misting your hair helps too.. especially if you can roll it up into a bun or braid it..
There are lost of mister recipes here in the forum.
Good luck with your move to Oz :)

janeytilllie
February 5th, 2009, 02:44 PM
I use coconut oil all the time. My ends are very dry and drink up the coconut oil.

I wash my hair every 4 days and apply a good heavy oling on my length the night before. After I wash my hair, I always wear my hair up in a bun. I will oil the ends every morning and night. My ends love it :D I have been doing this for a good year now and I haven't had any down falls with it.

Anje
February 5th, 2009, 03:21 PM
If you don't get the oil out occasionally to get real water-based moisture in, I suspect that you might end up with dry, crunchy, oily ends. The only way to know is to try it, though. If your hair does get a bit dry, you might want to try a mix like Fox's Shea Butter Conditioning Cream, which gives moisture as well as oil.

Have fun in oz!

Sissy
February 5th, 2009, 05:36 PM
I do heavy oiling of my ends once a week but it does work a treat so I should probably do it more. I mostly used Organic Cold Pressed Coconut Oil now but I also had good results withe EVOO from the grocery store.

I am interested in this and read the whole thread. I really want to try Fox's Shea Butter Cream now. I did not realize it did moisture and oil at the same time. That is ideally what we should aim for is it not? Because many oils from what I understand do not add moisture, they just help retain it?

MadPirateBippy
February 18th, 2009, 12:11 PM
If you are just looking to prevent sun damage, perhaps you might want to do things like make a sock bun and cover it with a pretty silk scarf. They are lightweight and easy to take with you on your travels and it looks really wonderful (I'll have to do it a couple of times to show you and get hubs to take some pictures when he gets back in town- it's very elegant looking!)

I get silk scarves on clearance from fancy department stores, or I pick them up at thrift stores for 99 cents.

Oiling is great too, but if you're looking for sun protection there's other ways to get it.

Nevermore
February 18th, 2009, 01:36 PM
I'd suggest oiling on wet/damp hair if that works for you, instead of dry hair, to lock in moisture. You can always add more oil on dry hair, but I tend to think that oiling wet hair does more for hair health. If you don't mind being seen as a bit strange and/or will have a good bit of privacy (say, working in a garden or being out on a boat), a wide brimmed hat https://secure.hosts.co.uk/~plumeboutique.co.uk/images/REVERSIBLE%20SUN%20HAT%201.JPG like that might be a good idea. Braiding damp/oiled hair overnight helps with keeping hair from getting dry too.

RancheroTheBee
February 18th, 2009, 02:18 PM
How dry is Australia, exactly?

I lived in Britain for a few months, and I was surprised at the humidity. It made my hair so nice. I didn't even have to use product. However, now I live in the driest part of Canada, and I need to have oil in my hair quite often. I think it's better to apply it sparingly, or you're going to end with crunchy ends.

edensapples
February 18th, 2009, 02:47 PM
I use the OCM for my face and use the same oil on my hair. So far, this is working great.

amiaow
February 20th, 2009, 03:58 PM
Where in Australia are you going? As the continent is so large, the weather varies from very dry (in the southern regions) to tropical up the top- it covers such a range of latitudes.

I live in Australia and haven't ever needed to heavily oil my ends 24/7- I live in one of the dry regions for and just use a bit of leave in after I wash. A tiny bit of coconut oil works well too. I think personally it's more effective to seal in the moisture after you've washed than to seal it out by oiling constantly!

Leabhar
February 21st, 2009, 10:20 AM
I second the whole cover-your-hair thing if you don't want sun damage. Oiling won't help with that. That said, I keep my hair moderately to heavily oiled after the first day or two after a wash, and the only negatives are that you can't really wear it down until the oil soaks in if your hair looks dingy while oiled and that your hair will tend to catch more lint than non-oiled hair. Detangling gently and using a BBB to brush out the lint will take care of the latter.

pdy2kn6
March 15th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Where in Australia are you going? As the continent is so large, the weather varies from very dry (in the southern regions) to tropical up the top- it covers such a range of latitudes.

I live in Australia and haven't ever needed to heavily oil my ends 24/7- I live in one of the dry regions for and just use a bit of leave in after I wash. A tiny bit of coconut oil works well too. I think personally it's more effective to seal in the moisture after you've washed than to seal it out by oiling constantly!

hey its sydney that im in, its just really really sunny, i agree, perhaps everyday heavy oiling perhaps isnt too great in the long run?

pdy2kn6
March 15th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I keep my hair moderately to heavily oiled after the first day or two after a wash, and the only negatives are that you can't really wear it down until the oil soaks in if your hair looks dingy while oiled and that your hair will tend to catch more lint than non-oiled hair. Detangling gently and using a BBB to brush out the lint will take care of the latter.

damn, i left my bbb at home. :rolleyes:

jojo
March 16th, 2009, 01:45 AM
If you are just looking to prevent sun damage, perhaps you might want to do things like make a sock bun and cover it with a pretty silk scarf. They are lightweight and easy to take with you on your travels and it looks really wonderful (I'll have to do it a couple of times to show you and get hubs to take some pictures when he gets back in town- it's very elegant looking!)

I get silk scarves on clearance from fancy department stores, or I pick them up at thrift stores for 99 cents.

Oiling is great too, but if you're looking for sun protection there's other ways to get it.
He is a lad not a lass!!! though I like this tip for me!

ilovelonghair
March 16th, 2009, 04:49 AM
Yeah, its more about the sun damage i am worried about, Some of my ends are really dry from when i spent everyday in the sun on a mauritius holiday 2 years ago. I heard avocado oil is great for its sun protecting properties, so i was more focused on the sun side of it. Its Sydney that I am going to, which I have heard is quite sunny

In Australia it's best to stay out of the sun, the sun is so harsh 1 in 2 people get skin cancer over here. So if you make sure you use an umbrella when walking in the sun, or a hat (and hide your hair underneath) you'd be fine. I always walk in the shade. Sydney can get very hot in summer!
I live in a aria where the climate is tropical and moist, and that seems to be quite ok for my hair (better then dry european winter air)

DecafJane
March 16th, 2009, 05:06 AM
I agree - get a hat and use that to cover your hair and your skin when you are out in the sun and that should be enough. Generally we stay out of the sun during the day anyway, as it is just too hot.

pdy2kn6
March 16th, 2009, 06:08 AM
He is a lad not a lass!!! though I like this tip for me!

haha thanks for clearing that up JoJo :eyebrows::D

pdy2kn6
March 16th, 2009, 06:11 AM
In Australia it's best to stay out of the sun, the sun is so harsh 1 in 2 people get skin cancer over here. So if you make sure you use an umbrella when walking in the sun, or a hat (and hide your hair underneath) you'd be fine. I always walk in the shade. Sydney can get very hot in summer!
I live in a aria where the climate is tropical and moist, and that seems to be quite ok for my hair (better then dry european winter air)

haha yeah i do that, using an umbrella worked for me in china (and helped me blend in as much as a 6 foot white man could in shanghai last summer) so i thought it will work for me in sydney...regardless of the occasional funny looks...at least i wont have a burnt scalp :cool:

joyful373
March 16th, 2009, 05:19 PM
I don't think it'd be bad for your hair, but you may want to watch for buildup, and buildup from oils can be the worst thing to remove. I do oil a lot, and I get oily build up occasionally from too much oil, so I have to do just a little every day.

Ok.... not to hijack the thread, but rymorg- you have me worried!!! I am in loooove with my coconut oil, and am now concerned. If build up becomes an issue, will a basic clarification cut it? Or do I need a super "oil-buildup" removing treatment?

oh.. fwiw I love my coconut oil and oil my ends every day now. My hair loves it.

manderly
March 16th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Ok.... not to hijack the thread, but rymorg- you have me worried!!! I am in loooove with my coconut oil, and am now concerned. If build up becomes an issue, will a basic clarification cut it? Or do I need a super "oil-buildup" removing treatment?

oh.. fwiw I love my coconut oil and oil my ends every day now. My hair loves it.

I use 6+ drops after I wash, and another drop or two daily between washes. I don't know of any buildup problem from coconut oil. :shrug: