PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Questions

Buraqina
March 29th, 2008, 05:33 AM
Hello everyone, wow, it's been a long time since I was last on here! Everything's changed! :eek: I have a bit of a dilemma at the moment so I've returned in my hour of great need LOL!

Right now my tailbone-length hair is driving me MAD. All of a sudden it has gone madly static, and nothing I do can tame it. Even my horn comb and Denman hair brush, which are meant to prevent static, provoke it into a frenzy :rolleyes: It's making it impossible to do anything with it, apart from put it in a ponytail with a few bands down the length, unless I have my Mum's assistance in taming it!

Thinking maybe my hair was a bit dry I used a mix of honey/conditioner/jojoba oil to leave in my hair for a while last time I was in the tub, and it looked for a moment like it had cured the problem. But it soon went bonkers again :mad:

I don't use any heat products, my hair isn't dyed and never has been and I wear it tied back in either a ponytail, plait or bun 99% of the time. I can't think of anything that's suddenly changed within my 'hair routine' to make it go this way. I do feel it's time for a trim however, which seemed to help cure the problem last time (although that was a cut of about 4"!)

I seem to remember when I posted about this before, a long time ago, someone suggested it could be the weather. We are just changing from Winter to Spring at the moment - could that really have caused this sudden rebellion?

Any suggestions on what could have caused it and how I can cope with it before it drives me stark raving mad are most welcome.

Also, just another quick and probably very daft question - if you use the same products on your hair every time you wash it, does your hair get 'used to it' and so does it lose it's effectiveness?

I don't know where this idea popped into my head from, but I have two or three conditioners and shampoos and use a different one every time I wash my hair. One of those shampoos really works wonders for my hair but I wouldn't like to use it every time I wash in case it lost it's effectiveness :eek: Please someone tell me that's a completely silly idea so I can use it more often, LOL!

Kelpie
March 29th, 2008, 05:45 AM
All my hair went weirdly static last week, even the hair on my legs which was a very strange feeling. I'm in Scotland so maybe it is the kinda crazy weather that the UK has been having. I don't know if this is good advice or not but you could try using some defrizzing serum stuff, maybe with cones as that might weigh it down a bit and stop the static.

loves2spin
March 29th, 2008, 05:59 AM
Yes, it's the weather! Go ahead and use your favorite shampoo. Once a week, or once every 2 weeks or so, use something different. Your hair doesn't "get used to" products. The problem can be "build up" from a particular product, so if you change just occasionally, you can stick to your favorite most of the time! Yes! The way my hair acts is totally seasonal. This will pass. Don't worry! :)

Buraqina
March 31st, 2008, 05:05 AM
Thankyou for your replies guys, am glad to know what's causing it and that I'm not the only one. Dare I say it seems very well behaved since I washed my hair last night...that will probably change pretty quickly though LOL! :rolleyes:

I've also noticed I'm shedding a ton at the moment which I know is normal for me at this time of year. Pretty amazing that a simple change in weather can make my hair behave so erratically and statically! :eek:

Stevy
March 31st, 2008, 05:32 AM
I agree with everyone else, it's just your hair feeling the joys of Spring! I think you said your hair liked jojoba oil? What I do when my hair starts getting staticky, is to put a few drops of jojoba oil in my palms and rub them very gently down the length. There used to be a great oiling article on the old site but I can't seem to find it now - sorry! - or I'd link you to it.

Katze
March 31st, 2008, 06:22 AM
When my hair gets frizzy misting (GR conditioner, water, aloe, Lavera deep conditioner) really helps a lot.

Oiling is tough for me except on wet hair; I try to remember to oil (coconut) after every wash, and sometimes even oil in place of conditioner.

Could it be that your hair is just dry due to the sudden (? it's sudden where I am) change in weather?

good luck, let us know what you figure out,

Katze

Kirin
March 31st, 2008, 01:03 PM
my hair will go mad static, for absolutely no reason i can think of, except more dryness in the air (not nessesarily my hair) I avoid cones, but when the air is dry/blustery/windy and i'm going in/out/in/out of heated indoors to cool outdoors, i find using them for a short while cures the problem.

Ohio Sky
March 31st, 2008, 05:12 PM
My hair never gets staticy, but DDs does all the time. Its the only thing in the world that her perfect hair ever does to remind us that it has a mind of its own, and the only thing my hair DOESNT do to try to thwart me.
When its acting up, I melt down a decent amount of coconut oil and mix it with sweet almond and maybe a bit of shea, let it sit on her hair for maybe an hour, and wash it out with a gentle shampoo. I almost dont even have to wash it out, her hair just drinks it. It usually keeps it calm until th enext time I have to wash it, which is a while because she only needs washing when shes been playing in mud, for the most part.