PDA

View Full Version : This style - real or fake hair?

Faepirate
March 29th, 2008, 03:01 AM
I came across this picture of a sort of Grecian ponytail style:

http://www.faefly-records.co.uk/hair/grecian%20ponytail.jpg

...and am now wondering how this style is done. See, I love it, but if you look closely, it appears to be tied with hair rather than hair ties. I can't figure out how that would be possible. Perhaps they are fake hair pieces? Can somebody else figure this one out? xD

However it works, when my hair is long enough I'm totally gonna wear it like this.

JCFantasy23
March 29th, 2008, 03:04 AM
Simply amazing. I would have to bet there has to be something fake in there, right? Her hair looks amazingly thick, too. My hair is too thin to ever work with this style.

eadwine
March 29th, 2008, 03:55 AM
Seems the ties are made with the lower portion of hair. Note that it is wrapped loosely, and likely held with lots of pins (that we of course cannot see ;) ).

Poolsoflaughter
March 29th, 2008, 04:33 AM
That so looks fake to me, but then again, I could not imagine having that much hair. Dianyla could probably do that! :D

akurah
March 29th, 2008, 11:30 AM
http://www.scunci.com/product_detail.aspx?gid=11&pid=30&lp=3 <- tool to make your hair wrap about your ponytail. If you had enough hair you could do that hair style with your own hair using that tool.

She probably has elastics of some sort anchoring each hair wrap, fwiw.

Stephanie
March 29th, 2008, 12:07 PM
THAT is some gorgeous inspiration regardless of whether it's fake or not.

aprilmay
March 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM
I say that is fake, but it looks great.

cuddledumplin
March 29th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I vote for fake too.

freznow
March 29th, 2008, 01:20 PM
I'd be willing to bet that some of it is fake, but that you'd still have to have quite a bit of hair in the first place to do it.

So basically it starts as a half up pony tail. Some faux hair clip spreads out the natural hair over something beneath to give more volume. Perhaps the rings that appear to be holding this part are part of the clip or the person's real hair; I suppose it depends on how much hair you actually have on what a person attempting this style would do.

So now you have a half up pony held with an intricate clip. The most logical way I can see the rest of it done is that the hair beneath the stuff in the pony is now bound with something that has a long lenth of faux hair attatched. This faux hair is brought around the real hair, and back under. It goes up between the two sections of real hair, and then around twice, and tied off. (Or at least this is how I interpret the style to have been done)

I suppose this could be done if you had a great deal of real hair to be used, but most likely in the pic faux hair is used.

Lixie
March 29th, 2008, 01:24 PM
It's a beautiful picture, but it's likely that some of the hair used won't be the model's.

blackfrostqueen
March 29th, 2008, 01:28 PM
Likely in the photo its fake. But it looks easy enough to do with enough long hair. Beautiful style though!

FrannyG
March 29th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Well, I'm just an optimistic enough that I'm going to buy into thinking it's real hair. I would like to think that. So I'm going to. :)

Having said that, it would take some very long, very thick hair to be able to wear that beautiful style. No matter how long my hair gets, it will never be thick enough to do that style. But I can dream. :cloud9:

nienna42
March 29th, 2008, 02:02 PM
What a pretty style!

I think this style could be done with real hair if you had very thick hair, were very good at reaching behind your back to do your hair or had someone to do it for you, and didn't expect this to last very long after the photo was taken.

I managed to do this:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c330/nienna42/IMG_1348.jpg

I made a half-up using a hair tie. Then I pulled out a section of hair from immediately below the ponytail, twisted it, and wrapped it around. The very top wraparound is pinned in place. I clipped the ends under the ponytail.

The rest of my hair is hidden behind my shoulder, because I couldn't manage to do the wraps around the lower part of the ponytail without ending up with something that looked like a falling-apart rope braid. I think with some pinning, I could have done it to someone else's hair; I just don't have much dexterity when I'm reaching behind my back.

(Erm...sorry about the spotty mirror. And the greasy hair; yesterday was supposed to be wash day.)

Blueglass
March 29th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I like nienna version better the model pic. Its more believiable.

Nynaeve
March 29th, 2008, 03:32 PM
It is gorgeous despite the fact that it seems that at least part of it has to be fake.
Beautiful either way. I bet it could be done with added "extensions" just for volume.

BrianaFineHair
March 29th, 2008, 03:52 PM
*Jealousy mode on of a fine haired lady* :

NO one should have all of that hair all to themselves!

*Jealousy mode off* :

It's very very pretty! :D

FrannyG
March 29th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Beautiful, Nienna42!!! :flowers:

sapphire-o
March 29th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Fake or real, I just can't imagine how that can hold. It seems so loose. If it's my hair and I give it a shake all the pins would be flying out. :D I suppose I can probably hold still long enough for photos.

moon-flower
March 29th, 2008, 09:17 PM
It looks like a Disney Princess' hairstyle, thought it looks nice and alot of us would like thicker hair, I'm gonna have to say it is fake. Cause it looks really thick and shiny. But that hair style is probably possible with long and thick hair.

nienna42
March 29th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Thanks, Franny! ^_^

Blueglass, I agree that mine looks more realistic. Even if the style could possibly be done with real hair, I suspect that model had some help from fake hair. There's just something about it that doesn't look quite real.

tiny_teesha
March 30th, 2008, 05:57 AM
WOW i wish my hair was that thick.
I'm sure someone could create a similar style by grabbing a piece of a pont tail and then winding it around and clipping, then later down grab another piece and start to wind from that point (like a rope braid, twisting it)
I think it could work...My hair wouldn't be able to wind around anything! my entire hair is as thick as one windy bit on her hair!

lilalong
March 30th, 2008, 06:05 AM
this looks awesome!
but I think its at least partially fake.

Chamomile betty
March 30th, 2008, 07:13 AM
Very beautiful hairstyle.
I agree, maybe be partially fake. Still stunning though.

squiggyflop
March 30th, 2008, 08:06 AM
i think that it has pony tail holders under the wrapped hair and that its real

Lady Godiva
March 30th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I think it could be real, using ponytail elastics at various stages to keep the hair in place. It is difficult to ascertain the design, as the photo is somewhat artistic and all color is unified via sepia coloring. That blends together any elastics, hairpins, bobby pins or even ribbons possibly being used. We also do not know how long her hair is.

I see two ponytails, one above the other. The upper ponytail is knotted at the crown, probably held in place with an elastic below the knot that is hidden from view.

A portion of the remaining lower hair is separated from the rest, twisted and wrapped first below then above the knot, possibly pinned to the scalp hair or better yet, added into the elastic up there.

The rest of the lower hair is put into a ponytail, held at nape with an elastic. Part of this ponytail is used to wrap around the upper ponytail. I suspect that the end of this wrap is added back into the elastic behind everything.

All hair proceeds downward. The right half of the hair is the former upper-main ponytail, and the stylist lifts it to make a loop, wraps the rest of it around, and tucks the ends through the loop, before tightening and wrapping a couple more times.

Ostensibly it is all tied off together at the end, maybe with an elastic that is easily hidden by pulling some wrapped hair down over it.

jennydaesy
March 31st, 2008, 07:47 PM
i would vote for fake

nissamholtz
March 31st, 2008, 09:10 PM
I go with Fake

kwaniesiam
March 31st, 2008, 09:49 PM
The pic is probably fake hair, but I'm sure there are quite a few members here who could achieve that with their own hair :)

I wouldn't even have a quarter of enough thickness to accomplish something like that, it's very pretty.

Anje
March 31st, 2008, 09:58 PM
It looks unbelievably thick to me, but it looks like a style like this could be achievable. That said, this was clearly done for some sort of art shoot and probably only had to survive for a couple photos. I doubt it would hold for an hour without hiring multiple stylists to follow you around.

Dianyla, feel like modeling this for us?

Sidani
March 31st, 2008, 10:20 PM
I think it's gorgeous. I would love to try it, but I don't think I've got enough thickness for it. I may have to give it a try though ... curiosity and cats and all that, you know. ;)

Anlbe
April 1st, 2008, 02:45 AM
It could be either, I've known people with hair that thick though not many. Anyway there's nothing wrong with hair pieces my grandmother had one of real hair that she used her whole life (she never went grey). If I was making it with a piece I'd use one for the main pony tail securing it with the hair from the top pony tail. Looks like fun!

levelek
April 19th, 2008, 12:40 PM
Aaand... we are finally back with a field report!
Anlbe and I have just met up, and I think she did it! :magic: We didn't have the time to pull all the stops out with oiling, careful shaping etc, and the sepia colouring would definitely have improved it too, but I'm so excited!
The hair is mine, the skill is entirely Anlbe's.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/levelek/April019.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/levelek/grecianback08small.jpg

We didn't use any fake hair, and of course my hair would never look as thick as on the photo, but Anlbe reckons she could easily have shaped it a bit so it fans out more and looks fuller. The only tools she used were a small hairband and bobby pins. If you'd like full instructions you'll have to wait until she logs back in, I'm afraid.

SweetPea88
April 19th, 2008, 12:46 PM
Great job Levelek and Anlbe!!! It looks absolutely amazing!!!

eadwine
April 19th, 2008, 12:49 PM
Holy!!!

WOW :D I love that!! My compliments :D

Sherri
April 19th, 2008, 12:52 PM
That is just simply beautiful. Great job. How long did it take her to do this style?

busnutmedic
April 19th, 2008, 01:00 PM
It is pretty, it way too thick for my hair to try to pull off.

If any of you try it, I'm sure I'm not the only one who would appreciate pictures :D

Bonnie

Sillage
April 19th, 2008, 01:09 PM
OMG SPECTACULAR! :blueeek::bluebiggr

Anlbe and Levelek, that is an absolutely gorgeous hairdo. I love the contrast between the big soft ponytail and the sleeker rings of hair that constrain it. Your hair is so beautiful is so beautiful Levelek!

WritingPrincess
April 19th, 2008, 01:22 PM
That's beautiful!

DrkAngel
April 19th, 2008, 01:23 PM
probably some hair pieces in there, but absolutely beautiful still.

ETA: levelek and Anlbe that is GORGEOUS. Great job! How did you do that? And levelek, your hair looks quite THICK to me :)

Amoretti
April 19th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Spectacular, Levelek!!!! Can't wait for the instructions!

Leisha
April 19th, 2008, 04:04 PM
WOW that is gorgeous!! Really one of the most beautiful hairdos I've seen in ages. :agape:

Anlbe
April 19th, 2008, 04:55 PM
It is true, Levelek does have alot of hair! I found the key in the end was to not put that much hair in the lower section that wraps around the larger ponytails. So I used two elastic bands and about six bobby grips.

1. Put about 4/5 of the hair into a high ponytail with an elastic band.
2. Using a small section of the hair (either in or out of the ponytail, I used hair outside) twist it and wrap around the ponytail once or twice to hide the elastic band fixing it with a bobby pin.
3. Continuing with the same section of hair wrap the rest of it around the ponytail an inch or so further down using two bobby pins (one from each side) to secure it.
4. Taking the hair which is down use another elastic to put it in a slightly loose ponytail at the nape of the neck.
5. Wrap this around the main ponytail in a clockwise direction and then thread it through itself above the elastic (if you want this wrap as low as it is in the original photograph use two elastics about two inches apart from one another and thread between the two)
6. Four or five inches further down from this split the main ponytail and bring the smaller one through from the back then wrap clockwise 180 degrees to the back again spiraling downwards (you could use another elastic here again to secure it here, we just didn't happen to have one), then wrap the remainder of the small ponytail around the large one and secure with bobby pins.
7. Having done this fan out the smaller ponytail to make it as wide as possible as it winds around the main one at the nape and as it comes through below, bobby pins can be used at the back of the main ponytail to help. The key to achieving this is making sure the elastic at the nape is lose enough and that there is not too much hair in the smaller ponytail.
8. Hopefully admire the finished hairdo.

DotDotDot
April 19th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Awesome! That looks great! Thanks so much for the instructions, Anlbe! Can't wait to try it! :D

velvetcat
April 20th, 2008, 01:38 AM
Anlbe, can we get some photos to go with those instructions, I'm afraid I'm having some trouble visualizing it.

Anlbe
April 20th, 2008, 02:19 AM
I'll see if I can get hold of levelek again, are there any steps that need particular clarification?

meichigo
April 20th, 2008, 03:21 AM
I was going to vote for "fake in that photograph, but doable in real life." We may never know about the first part but the second has been proved beautifully! I hope I'm able to try this some time.

Faepirate
April 20th, 2008, 03:47 AM
Aaand... we are finally back with a field report!
Anlbe and I have just met up, and I think she did it! :magic: We didn't have the time to pull all the stops out with oiling, careful shaping etc, and the sepia colouring would definitely have improved it too, but I'm so excited!
The hair is mine, the skill is entirely Anlbe's.

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/levelek/April019.jpg

http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff17/levelek/grecianback08small.jpg

We didn't use any fake hair, and of course my hair would never look as thick as on the photo, but Anlbe reckons she could easily have shaped it a bit so it fans out more and looks fuller. The only tools she used were a small hairband and bobby pins. If you'd like full instructions you'll have to wait until she logs back in, I'm afraid.

I am stunned.
And totally jealous :D
I want to be able to get my hair to do this! But I am far too clumsy with my fingers to even attempt it.

GlassEyes
April 20th, 2008, 06:03 AM
O_O That's stunning.

HollowHannah
April 20th, 2008, 06:07 AM
I say fake, but I don't see why it couldn't be done with someone who had thick enough hair. It looks lovely

levelek
April 20th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Thank you very much, all! :wethree:
Thanks for posting the instructions, Anlbe :)

I am afraid we didn't take photos of the step by step process, so it'd have to wait until we can meet again for a reconstruction. It took, ooh, maybe an hour, Anlbe? But that involved a couple of false starts and a lengthy phone conversation, so it can be done much faster once you've got the steps. Next time around we'll time it.

GlassEyes
April 20th, 2008, 01:14 PM
You know, thinking on it, it might be possible to make it look that thick with a lot of backcombing and rolling and such, then placing the hair in the style.

I still think they used hair pieces though. No shame in it.

The replicated style is still cool though. xD