PDA

View Full Version : The Zen of Hair Maintenance

LaurelSpring
February 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM
I have come to the conclusing that this hair thing is very Zen. It is changing all of the time and is something that I have to be very in the moment with. As soon as I think I have found the routine that works, it stops working. As soon as I have found the updo that I think will be my main updo, it starts feeling weird on my head or wont stay.

I realized that I just have to go with the flow and do what works for that day and be open to new ideas and options. That is why this forum is so valuable! I really dont know if I could get through the rough spots without the support I have received here.
Blessings.
Namaste :blossom:

Nightshade
February 4th, 2009, 08:45 AM
I agree, long hair is the epitome of "it's the journey, not the destination."

There's also something very meditative about combing my hair, mixing henna and other herbs and oils, and just knowing it's growing :)

rymorg2
February 4th, 2009, 08:48 AM
Oh it is definately very zen for me too.

Sometimes I love that about the journey and sometimes I HATE it. sigh.....

scalawaggirl
February 4th, 2009, 09:23 AM
I agree that it's a soothing practice to work on my hair. There's something also very satisfying seeing the results of one's efforts but my BF laughs about my obsession now.

At one point, I was concerned about growing fast but at this point, I am more focused on keeping my hair healthy as it grows as quickly as possible.

The journey is kind of fun for me.

JamieLeigh
February 4th, 2009, 09:27 AM
I'm completely in agreement. If there ever was ANYTHING that is trial-and-error, it's hair, LOL, and I have to be really in the mood to mess with it. It can be easily discouraging to try something new you've read about on LHC, and to get all excited about it...and your hair hates it! But at the same time, it's fun to be excited about something, and it's awesome to be happy with yourself, and to take joy in something you have. :)

And it's almost like a religion in itself. We're hair-zealots...and a lot of people don't understand our fascination with it. :p

Catladyintown
February 4th, 2009, 09:48 AM
LaurelSpring "I have come to the conclusion that this hair thing is very Zen. " you are so right.:cheese: I never thought about it like that before.

AutumnSky
February 4th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Trial & error is the fun part! Learning, and growing along with my hair has been a wild ride, even the minor "failures" have been educational......

Now if that henna would just release already... *tapping foot imaptiently*.... ;-p

LutraLutra
February 4th, 2009, 11:34 AM
I totally agree - my hair will do what it likes, it will grow as fast (or not) as it likes, and it will go silver when it decides too.

Coriander
February 4th, 2009, 11:44 AM
I agree... just the actions of conditioning, rinsing and combing are therapeutic.

Plus, not know what the day will bring hair-wise imparts a kind of "okay, fine then" attitude with things. :)

Carolyn
February 4th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Oh I know what all of you mean. Hair care is so comforting and satisfying in many ways. The long hair journey has brought me so many nice things, the nicest being all my LHC friends. I've become kind of a hair geek about hair care and growing :silly:

Bene
February 4th, 2009, 11:50 AM
hmmm... i wouldn't say my haircare is zen, it's more like a new hobby?

i'm actively hoping for it to grow. i leave it up all day, and try new things to help keep it healthy. for me, it's a trial and error sort of thing, where i get to experiment and do research, which is something i enjoy. trying new things helps keep my mind off the fact that my length isn't where i'd like it to be. as long as it looks shiny and healthy, i'm alright.

spidermom
February 4th, 2009, 11:51 AM
I've fallen into such a regular rhythm with my hair. I observe and go with the flow. My challenge lately? Fast growth. My ends are falling out of my most reliable bun. They end at a new place; what can I do? Start higher? Start lower? Learn a new up-do? People say "hair is dead." Not the hair on my head. How can something that grows and changes be dead?

Pixna
February 4th, 2009, 11:54 AM
It's funny that you posted this, as just this morning I was thinking that I really need to enjoy this process. Although I don't want to forget how painful it has been (growing out a pixie), I also need to take joy in and appreciate my hair each step of the way, just as it is right now. I cannot will it to be something it isn't (yet). But maybe loving it in the moment will spur it on its journey! :meditate:

Katla
February 4th, 2009, 01:04 PM
I have come to the conclusing that this hair thing is very Zen.

You are so right. Detangling my hair got a whole lot easier once I started to take a deep breath, relax, and realised that detangling is really rather calming :D I might have better luck with french braids and the like if I start to take the Zen-approach to those, too.

Fillette
February 4th, 2009, 01:31 PM
What a fun thread! It made me think of my hair in a completely new way. Thanks LaurelSpring!

Sissy
February 4th, 2009, 05:11 PM
I agree, long hair is the epitome of "it's the journey, not the destination."

There's also something very meditative about combing my hair, mixing henna and other herbs and oils, and just knowing it's growing :)

I couldn't have said it better myself. For me there is something therapeutic about caring for my growing tresses.

RedStripe
February 4th, 2009, 06:26 PM
I never thought if it that way before either, but now that you mention it ...

Ahhhh. Now looking forward to a nice long meditative session of hair care.

SimplyLonghair
February 5th, 2009, 12:00 AM
Yes hair is very Zen and teaches us patience, and perseverance. The journey of a thousand steps...:rolleyes:

Speedbump
February 5th, 2009, 08:16 AM
Oh yes! Zen indeed. When I comb my hair at night after work, it is like a meditation that helps me relax and get ready for sleep. Haircombing has really helped me deal with the negative effects of my high-stress job on my emotional well-being. Sometimes I take out my braid and do a scalp massage and fingercomb just for the effect. :D

MadPirateBippy
February 18th, 2009, 11:56 AM
And it's almost like a religion in itself. We're hair-zealots...and a lot of people don't understand our fascination with it. :p[/COLOR]

You know, I think that might be why we have people of such a wide range of religious backgrounds here and we all seem to get along.

Some of us fear hell, but all of us fear split ends. :p

serious
February 18th, 2009, 12:19 PM
I totally agree with all of you!

LaurelSpring
February 18th, 2009, 12:55 PM

:laugh: Too funny!

I realised also that I have started a new practice of getting my pajamas on, pouring a glass of wine and combing and braiding my hair before bed. It is a very calming meditative thing for me and also a way of pampering and taking care of myself.

LaurelSpring
February 18th, 2009, 01:07 PM
My challenge lately? Fast growth.

Spidermom. I wish had this challenge! I went through one of those phases though awhile back when nothing was working and I had to readjust. Its exciting and frustrating at the same time. It was good for me though because I had become very complacent in my styles and I had to revisit some instructions and youtube videos to find some new things that worked for me. I guess it is always a work in progress.

FallenAngel
February 18th, 2009, 01:08 PM
I realised also that I have started a new practice of getting my pajamas on, pouring a glass of wine and combing and braiding my hair before bed. It is a very calming meditative thing for me and also a way of pampering and taking care of myself.

Ohhh.... sounds heavenly! I want to do it just like that. I braid my kids hair in the evenings, but that is not very meditative. (They are 3 and 5). My hair is way too short now, but now I have ANOTHER reason to grow it. :D

LaurelSpring
February 18th, 2009, 01:26 PM
People say "hair is dead." Not the hair on my head. How can something that grows and changes be dead?

I agree with you on this one. I am always wondering how my hair "feels" and what it needs. It definately doesnt feel dead. I dont feel like my nails are dead either. If I put polish on them they feel like they are suffocating.

rosie91
February 18th, 2009, 02:15 PM
i feel like my hair just likes to change its mind a lot. especially if i am having a day where i really need good clean hair!!

Pixna
February 18th, 2009, 02:55 PM
i feel like my hair just likes to change its mind a lot. especially if i am having a day where i really need good clean hair!!

Definitely! My hair and I have a relationship -- not always a good one right now, but a strong bond nonetheless. My hair is ALIVE, growing and changing every day.

Morningglory
February 18th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I have come to the conclusion that it is not a good idea for me to make a statement about cutting or wearing my hair up etc...for any specific amount of time because my hair may have a whole different plan of it's own!!!:cool: So, I will have to see how my hair is doing as it grows and decide what to do more by how my hair is doing at each stage I go through.:p

Pixna
February 18th, 2009, 04:27 PM
I must add that even at my current short length, the process of washing, combing, brushing, and gently caring for my hair indeed has a relaxing Zen quality to it. In fact, remembering that while I tend to my hair helps me enjoy and be present for the process even more.

BlackfootHair
February 18th, 2009, 04:33 PM
Hair is very zen. I was just thinking about it today how I am getting back to the point of really liking my hair. :) It's finally getting some length on it again and I can once again put it up in a clip like I like. (well, half of it in a clip.)

All the time it takes to brush it, feed it (with food and vitamins), water it (with water and other body-friendly drinks), wash it, condition it, oil it, apply a leave in oil or conditioner, put it up, leave it down....all of it matters. Hair may not be "living" in the sense that it's "dead" cells all conected, but it's the process to get it there, the taking care of it, that makes it a part of you. It's part of your self image, your identity. Whether you wear it up or let others see it, it is a part of you, just like your fingers. It's an extention of you.

I find it calming when I'm having a good hair day and I'm all happy about it. :) I also find it very relaxing to wash my hair...the bubbles and suds...the masssge my scalp gets as I'm scrubbing off the dirt...lol The lovely smells from my shampoo and conditioner. :) Yep, I love it! :meditate::meditate:

PetuniaBlossom
July 22nd, 2012, 11:29 AM
:cloud9:Wow, everyone has described the Zen of hair beautifully. I've also noticed how good it feels to be engrossed in caring for my hair. Don't care how long it takes, how much effort, how much money it does or doesn't cost, what others may think - this is my hair and it deserves the best I can do for it. When it's down and it wraps me in its soft, fragrant mantle, I feel totally cherished and cared for.
If it sounds like a love story, it is!

Pixna
July 22nd, 2012, 02:15 PM
:cloud9:Wow, everyone has described the Zen of hair beautifully. I've also noticed how good it feels to be engrossed in caring for my hair. Don't care how long it takes, how much effort, how much money it does or doesn't cost, what others may think - this is my hair and it deserves the best I can do for it. When it's down and it wraps me in its soft, fragrant mantle, I feel totally cherished and cared for.
If it sounds like a love story, it is!

Beautifully stated, PetuniaBlossom! And I agree with you! :D

dawnss
July 24th, 2012, 05:02 PM
Frankly there are times where my hair makes me want to scream because I just can't handle it. Strangely enough though, haircare really is relaxing. I like washing my hair and conditioning it.

ratgirldjh
July 24th, 2012, 05:06 PM
What a great attitude :) Thanks for posting this :D

swearnsue
July 24th, 2012, 05:15 PM
Growing my hair is teaching me patience and acceptance.

Mahealani
July 25th, 2012, 04:14 PM
I'm completely in agreement. If there ever was ANYTHING that is trial-and-error, it's hair, LOL, and I have to be really in the mood to mess with it. It can be easily discouraging to try something new you've read about on LHC, and to get all excited about it...and your hair hates it! But at the same time, it's fun to be excited about something, and it's awesome to be happy with yourself, and to take joy in something you have. :)

And it's almost like a religion in itself. We're hair-zealots...and a lot of people don't understand our fascination with it. :p
It is a religion for us, let's be honest. We put too much time and effort into hair, just to call it a hobby. :D

You know, I think that might be why we have people of such a wide range of religious backgrounds here and we all seem to get along.

Indeed just like additional religion of some sort lol :D united in hair.

I find it calming when I'm having a good hair day and I'm all happy about it. :) I also find it very relaxing to wash my hair...the bubbles and suds...the masssge my scalp gets as I'm scrubbing off the dirt...lol The lovely smells from my shampoo and conditioner. :) Yep, I love it! :meditate::meditate:
Uf no need to say more, I purrr like a cat when I shampoo my hair lol:D

Bambi
July 26th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Growing my hair is teaching me patience and acceptance.

I agree, and what a valuable lesson it is:D.

kitekats
July 26th, 2012, 02:42 PM
Yes, I have the same, once I decided to have egg yolk masks once a week-but it stopped working, then I tried coconut oil- the same, now almond oil- again same, also as a hair style ponytail worked for me at the start, and nothing else, then braids, then-buns, but now I haven't found the right thing for this particular period of time...

prettykitty
July 26th, 2012, 02:44 PM
For me zen is when I can sit and patiently untangle a knot for fifteen minutes in my hair...but can't really focus that long on anything else :p

Dandelion6
July 26th, 2012, 02:46 PM
:laugh: Too funny!

I like to do this too, especially the night before a wash when I detangle and do a heavy oiling. :)